Winter Training Challenges - Signup/Discussion Thread

Options

Replies

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I've joined the club, I'm in, and I'd definitely be up for some group Zwifting!
  • jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm clueless as to how to zwift, I know it's possible without a smart trainer, but ... But I think you need a smart cyclist (which I am not)
    to figure out how to use a not smart trainer.
    Besides, I will be riding outside a lot unless we have our promised El Niño winter
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    jillyian wrote: »
    I'm clueless as to how to zwift, I know it's possible without a smart trainer, but ... But I think you need a smart cyclist (which I am not)
    to figure out how to use a not smart trainer.
    Besides, I will be riding outside a lot unless we have our promised El Niño winter

I think for anything like a group ride or race smart trainers would be a must or it just wouldn't work very well, it's only a passing idea at this point, we'd need 10ish riders to make it really interesting I think, would be cool to do though. I imagine it will become more and more popular over time so perhaps something for next year.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I'm in, as I said earlier - though I'm guessing that with my current restrictions on riding, I may well be propping up the bottom of the table...

https://www.strava.com/athletes/mark_burrows - TheBigYin - Mark Burrows

(on Zwift as Mark Burrows - though I'll definitely NOT be racing on there, and seriously doubt i'd be able to keep with any group rides without "weight cheating" - i.e. pretending to weigh 2/3 as much as Marco Pantani did as a Junior...)

• TheBigYin
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    webtracer wrote: »
    One note ... I don't have the equipment (yet) to use Zwift, but I use the Sufferfest videos to train off of in the winter when I can't get outside ... those manual entries going to work?

In a word, no... Manual entries will not count.

if you're riding on the trainer, with the sufferfest video going, use your garmin to record your heartrate/speed/cadence (switch off the GPS logging) and download that to strava - hey presto, it's not a "manual" entry anymore - and it'll have a calories value recorded beside it for EVERYONE to see. Don't forget, getting a "strava file" or something else as "Proof" isn't for the benefit/ease of the gentlemen running this challenge - it'd be easier on them to just take everyones word as gospel, the checking of the data is the most miserable part of administering these challenges. It's there for transparency, and openness for ALL the people on the challenge to check everyone else's data if they so wish. Indeed I'd encourage people to do so - if nothing else, it may give you an insight into different training methods... you may even learn something.
    Jakess1971 wrote: »
    webtracer wrote: »
    One note ... I don't have the equipment (yet) to use Zwift, but I use the Sufferfest videos to train off of in the winter when I can't get outside ... those manual entries going to work?

In a word, no... Manual entries will not count.

I'd echo this, you can't just create any old manual entry, without a screenshot of the cals as proof of the burn or a proper strava entry it can't count.

I believe last year some of the turbo entries had screen grabs from the software, one thing you could do is create a manual entry and attach a screen shot of the software capture, how does that sit with you Clive?

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a cycling challenge, walks, runs etc won't count, only calories burnt during the turn of a cycling crack count :)

I know I'm not "doing" the logging this year, but as advice from one who DID last year, my advice is DON'T go the direction of screenshots, they're a Pain in the *kitten* to check, they make the thread massively slow and unweildy to load, and... well, to be honest, they'd be a piece of piss to fake in Photoshop if you were so minded. Same with "photos of the spin cycles readout" or "photo of my Polar Computer display". Pick one place where the data is to be consolidated (Strava makes sense - we've used it exclusively for the Grand Tour Challenges now for a couple of years and it pretty much "just works") and go with it.

I believe last year some of the turbo entries had screen grabs from the software, one thing you could do is create a manual entry and attach a screen shot of the software capture, how does that sit with you Clive?

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a cycling challenge, walks, runs etc won't count, only calories burnt during the turn of a cycling crack count :)

I'd rather just see the Strava links TBH; you can upload .hrm files from Polar etc.

If it ain't on Strava, it didn't happen ;)

Good Man.

I know for example, if I ride outdoors, it'll be GPS logged on the Garmin, backed up by HR data at a minimum (from the MTB), or by HR and Cadence on the CaadX, or by HR, Cadence AND Power if I brave the elements on the Dolan.

Indoors, it'll either be a Zwift session, and auto-updated into Strava - I'll claim the Strava Calories for the challenge (though I reserve the right to actually book the Garmin calculated calories if they're lower into MFP for dietary reasons...) OR, if I ride a Tacx TTS session it'll either be a .TCX file converted from the training systems Polar .HRM files and uploaded to Strava, or, in the (reasonably likely) event of the TTS Software dying on it's *kitten*, it'll be the parallel-recorded Garmin file of the exercise...

Only bits I won't be able to record, and therefore won't be booking in, are any bike sessions with the Cardio-Rehab team, if I manage to actually get them to come up with a sensible supervised riding/training scheme...

Good Luck with running the challenge lads - and stick to your guns - make decisions, and stick with them - remember it's YOUR challenge, run it YOUR Way, and if people don't like it, refund them their membership fee and tell them to go start their own challenge :)

• TheBigYin
    Options
    And for everyone else - I may not be involved in the actual logging and administering the challenge, but I'm going to TRY and cook up a few "special" bonus'es and add-in's - probably photo-related, over the duration of the challenge - a bit like the Classics Challenge, but (probably) without all the Beer, Wine, Pizza, Pasta, Frites and Mayo.

• Jakess1971
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Quickly knocked up a spreadsheet while flagrantly ripping off Marks previous google sheets work, ....

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Se1EMruZS8oYFSZqE5Yr80wMBco1JufRt_J9p93lP5g/edit?usp=sharing

Can someone verify if they can see this ok, unsure if with google sheets I have to invite to view.

The sheets very simple, admins just enter the calories in the calendar box cells and the rest is all automated, totals and points.

The bonus points columns in the calendar tabs are active but a placeholder for any bonus point challenges people fancy setting, picture snapping, FTP tests, achievements etc. Suggestions are welcome to keep the fun going through those cold Winter months.

Logging thread added:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10274765/2015-2016-mfp-winter-challenge-ride-logging-thread?new=1

• Jakess1971
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    I'm in, as I said earlier - though I'm guessing that with my current restrictions on riding, I may well be propping up the bottom of the table...

https://www.strava.com/athletes/mark_burrows - TheBigYin - Mark Burrows

(on Zwift as Mark Burrows - though I'll definitely NOT be racing on there, and seriously doubt i'd be able to keep with any group rides without "weight cheating" - i.e. pretending to weigh 2/3 as much as Marco Pantani did as a Junior...)

Glad your in Mark, I'm renaming the league table as the 'Summary' table, people can order it via the points tally if they like though when viewing if competitively minded :)

Totally agree on the screenshots in a thread, no no and NO lol
  • Dave2041
    Dave2041 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Can't see the sheet without requesting permission
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Dave2041 wrote: »

Thanks Dave, this should now be viewable:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Se1EMruZS8oYFSZqE5Yr80wMBco1JufRt_J9p93lP5g/edit?usp=sharing

• TheBigYin
    Options

Thanks Dave, this should now be viewable:

link works - if you want to enable anyone else, tell them via PM to click the blue share button, then click the "request additional access" link - that'll let you verify the person is who they say they are, and give them "write access" to the sheet if you wish... though I advise caution in how many people you actually have allowed to update the sheet - it gets a bit difficult to tell what has been logged and what hasn't otherwise.
  • Jakess1971
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thought I'd start the ball rolling with bonus points, current qualifying bonus points:

One point for doing an FTP test each month and an additional point for any improvement.
    One point for a metric century 100km indoor or out with Strava proof.
    Two points for a full 100 mile century ride indoor or out with Strava proof.
    One point for finding and posting a picture of a snowman in your Strava activity :)

November specific one: remembrance related picture added to an outdoor ride - 1 point

** Note with regard to the 100km and 100 mile bonus, I'd like to make this for the days total, this way it allows people to fit in a split century around the working day.

Suggestions are welcome too.

Feel free to add your images in this thread but please attach them to the relevant Strava activity for them to quality, again this keeps it simple.
  • Dave2041
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Loving this! Though i do think the points should be biased towards outdoor rides, but maybe i'm old fashioned that way xD
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Loving this! Though i do think the points should be biased towards outdoor rides, but maybe i'm old fashioned that way xD

Opinions vary and I had this discussion last year, I favour outdoors riding myself and find indoors a lot harder so it's been argued that indoor points are harder to come by, on the flip side you should be given points kudos for braving the elements, all in all the fairest thing to do was to make all calories burnt equal, turn a crank and rack up the points, keep it simple I say :).
  • Dave2041
    Options

Opinions vary and I had this discussion last year, I favour outdoors riding myself and find indoors a lot harder so it's been argued that indoor points are harder to come by, on the flip side you should be given points kudos for braving the elements, all in all the fairest thing to do was to make all calories burnt equal, turn a crank and rack up the points, keep it simple I say :).

Yeah that sounds fair enough :smile:
  • Jakess1971
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Well the base admin work is done, we have the logging spreadsheet and thread, the Strava Club, and discussions/fun pics can be kept in this thread, for now myself and Clive are admins and giving Mark a much needed rest to focus on getting back on his feet.

We have 16 to 18 members and more are welcome although we shall cut it off at 40 max, not that I see that happening.

Thanks for keeping me company this Winter and looking forward to a productive off-season.

Kudos to the first one to find that snowman! No cheating and making one out of ice cream! Here in Nottingham we get snow once a year for a day in Feb if we are lucky and then it promptly turns to slush.

Couple of more additions to the challenges:

December specific ones:

Ride on Christmas day, 1 point for riding while others are stuffing faces with Turkey.
    Picture of something Christmas related - 1 point

Strava specific ones:

Earn the MTS achievement for any month - 3 points
    Assuming it's on the Festive 500 - 3 points
    Club leaderboard top three in any category (each week) - 1 point
    Club leaderboard top three speed - 1 point
    - Cut off for these will be midday on each Monday and I'll post these in the logging thread.

Bring on the 1st November!
  • ntnunk
    edited October 2015
    Options
    One potential wrinkle. I can't really verify this anymore because I no longer have any bikes without power meters except the mountain bike (which won't fit on the trainer) but Strava may pose problems for indoor rides. The last time I paid attention to it, Strava was "stripping" calories out of any uploaded file (Garmin, et al) that it deemed as an "indoor ride," i.e. there was no GPS track attached, when there is no power data available. In other words, if you have a powermeter, Strava will use your measured kJ to generate a calorie number for trainer rides. If you don't have a powermeter, Strava will not only not generate a calorie number for your ride, it will actually remove the calorie number that comes over as part of the .FIT file.

There was a angry and bitter thread raging on Strava's support forum a few months ago. As far as I know the issue still exists but I'm trying to verify.

Edit 1: Rides with Zwift do not have this problem. They seem to show calories fine. The problem will appear when people just do a trainer ride with their Garmin and upload to Strava.

Edit 2: Here's the thread about this issue on Strava's support board: https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/26543685-Estimate-Calories-for-Stationary-Indoor-Activities
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    One potential wrinkle. I can't really verify this anymore because I no longer have any bikes without power meters except the mountain bike (which won't fit on the trainer) but Strava may pose problems for indoor rides. The last time I paid attention to it, Strava was "stripping" calories out of any uploaded file (Garmin, et al) that it deemed as an "indoor ride," i.e. there was no GPS track attached, when there is no power data available. In other words, if you have a powermeter, Strava will use your measured kJ to generate a calorie number for trainer rides. If you don't have a powermeter, Strava will not only not generate a calorie number for your ride, it will actually remove the calorie number that comes over as part of the .FIT file.

There was a angry and bitter thread raging on Strava's support forum a few months ago. As far as I know the issue still exists but I'm trying to verify.

Edit: Rides with Zwift do have this problem. They seem to show calories fine. The problem will appear when people just do a trainer ride with their Garmin and upload to Strava.

This is a good point, I think the basic rule should be: put the calories down in the logging thread but they should not exceed the number specified in the Strava link, generally Strava over-estimates.

• ntnunk
    Options

This is a good point, I think the basic rule should be: put the calories down in the logging thread but they should not exceed the number specified in the Strava link, generally Strava over-estimates.

Assuming this issue with Strava still exists, the problem is going to be that for anyone that doesn't have powermeter or smart trainer, they are going to have to use their Garmin (or whatever) to record data for trainer rides. When they upload that data to Strava the calorie data will get stripped out and Strava will show 0 calories burned.

• hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Alright, sign me up. Gives me a push to get on the trainer which I detest.