Winter Training Challenges - Signup/Discussion Thread

Options

Replies

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Well crap, I hate to be a party pooper but I'm way too lazy to move my sensor from my Specialized to the Kona and I don't have a tire to waste away on my hamster wheel for the Specialized yet soooo no calorie data shows up on Strava. I guess I'm out, me being too lazy to move the sensors means I'm also way too lazy to take pic every time. lol Next time!

No worries Sara, if you change your mind you have until the first couple of weeks to opt back in.
    Check_Mate wrote: »
    Hey, sorry I'm late to the party. I'll give it a go if you still have room. Strava ID is David LaFleur.

Add in David, Strava club invite sent.

We have 28 registrations so far so 12 places left up for grabs.
  • Jakess1971
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I think that's 5 people who are not doing that challenge due to the Strava calories issue so I'd like to clarify one point:

IF you enter in the logging entry the calories burnt AND proof is added as an image IN THE Strava entry I will be accepting these. i.e:

01/11/2015 - Out - 1275 cal - https://www.strava.com/activities/420538428
    02/11/2015 - In - 1082 cal - https://www.strava.com/activities/416551669
    07/11/2015 - In - 1082 cal - https://www.strava.com/activities/416551669

All I ask is you don't add screen shots in the logging thread as it becomes a bit much, also an image in the Strava entry is ONLY needed if the Strava calories have not been populated.

This is my decision as I'm running it this year, when the Grand Tour & Classic challenges come back round obviously the rules are a lot tighter.

My aim with this is to encourage as many of us as I can to get out and keep up the fitness over Winter while having a little fun competition.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    For those of you who for some reason can't get the data to post compliant rides for this challenge - why doesn't one of you start a parallel thread where people can simply post their rides unverified ? I've said it every time when I've run a challenge - "If you don't like my rules, that's fine, feel free to start you're own challenge - I may even join in on yours..."

It's a pain that Strava are playing silly sods with hiding the calories for non-powermeter rides though, and I guess an attached picture in Strava is probably one of the only workable options... Certainly having a picture attached on every post for a 4 month long challenge is completely ridiculous.

I know I struggled with coming up with a way to be "completely inclusive" for indoor trainers, because of the wierd and wonderful combinations of kit that some of us use, ranging from spin bikes and classes, through to simple indoor trainers that are 20+ years old (That'll be you then @Frannybobs - incidentally, I saw the French National Track Team using Cateye trainers like yours at the European Track Championships a couple of weeks ago, so they're still a good option!), modern trainers with or without data feeds, rollers, smart trainers, wattbikes smart-trainers AND powermeters or even this new Zwift thing... It's a tough call to find something that works for everyone, and is manageable over a 4 month period.

• Jakess1971
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yeh I'm just not up for denying anyone wanting to join in just because Strava isn't playing nicely with the calories, it's not hard to add a snapshot in a Strava activity really and it's only used to backup what your stating in the logging thread.

For the majority of us this isn't really an issue unless Strava really *kitten* up Zwift & outdoor ride data.
  • steffenson
    steffenson Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I played around with Strava a bit last night and found I can post a workout to Strava and it WILL list my calories as long as I don't tag the ride as 'stationary trainer' (doing so will give all the same stats except strip the calorie data out). It did seem to be low (70 cal for 15min spin) but I can work on figuring that out.
    In the mean time please count me in! (though Nov and Dec is my biking off season so will not be doing much).
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    steffenson wrote: »
    I played around with Strava a bit last night and found I can post a workout to Strava and it WILL list my calories as long as I don't tag the ride as 'stationary trainer' (doing so will give all the same stats except strip the calorie data out). It did seem to be low (70 cal for 15min spin) but I can work on figuring that out.
    In the mean time please count me in! (though Nov and Dec is my biking off season so will not be doing much).

Good to hear, I've sent an invite to the Winter Strava Club.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    1st 'Zwift Official' FTP done (1pt), new FTP of 327 watts (up from 296 watts - 1pt) - Yay! Although I can't see anywhere on Zwift where you can view the FTP numbers???
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Curious if anyone elses Garmin calorie burn doesn't match the Strava upload calorie burn? Strava cals are several hundred lower. MMR upload matches exact. This is regarding outside rides, not Zwift.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Strava ignores the garmin calories and calculates its own data based on power. Good if you have a power meter, not so good if you don't. I'm on the iPad now and can't dig up the link, but I wrote a mahoosive post that went into ridiculous amounts of detail about this... I'll post a link to it tomorrow, when I'm at my proper computer.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    To get around this kind of issue if and only if you want to use the cals specified in Garmin rather the Strava post your Garmin link with your Strava link in the logging thread.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    1st 'Zwift Official' FTP done (1pt), new FTP of 327 watts (up from 296 watts - 1pt) - Yay! Although I can't see anywhere on Zwift where you can view the FTP numbers???

No idea where it stores it, I take a snapshot of the result and stick it in the Strava entry .... or I'd forget and get it wrong later.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Added rider numbers so when declaring entries can you add your rider number, just makes it easer to find in the table when entering the stats:

1 Jakess1971
    2 cloggsy71
    3 TheBigYin
    4 Check_Mate
    5 ddroth
    6 Dave2041
    7 ntunk
    8 jillyian
    9 banshee1013
    10 Spiffytools1610
    11 Spatialized
    12 Kupe
    13 kriles76
    14 amiller7x7
    15 gobonas99
    16 MrsCentral CaliCycling
    17 CentralCali Cycling
    18 Hawkeyegal 1995
    19 mdstamand
    20 KitTheRoadie
    21 Shane Meakim
    22 steffenson
    23 trimom10
    24 phytogurl
    25 TDSeest
    26 Frannybobs
    27 BigG59
    28 m1xm0d3
    29 Webtracer
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    Curious if anyone elses Garmin calorie burn doesn't match the Strava upload calorie burn? Strava cals are several hundred lower. MMR upload matches exact. This is regarding outside rides, not Zwift.
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    Strava ignores the garmin calories and calculates its own data based on power. Good if you have a power meter, not so good if you don't. I'm on the iPad now and can't dig up the link, but I wrote a mahoosive post that went into ridiculous amounts of detail about this... I'll post a link to it tomorrow, when I'm at my proper computer.

Here you go - you may want to set aside half a hour or so to read it though... and maybe have a pen, paper, calculator and some example workouts of your own to go through and compare with the data in there...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1120751/strava-calorie-calculations
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »
    Added rider numbers so when declaring entries can you add your rider number, just makes it easer to find in the table when entering the stats:

1 Jakess1971
    2 cloggsy71
    3 TheBigYin
    4 Check_Mate
    5 ddroth
    6 Dave2041
    7 ntunk
    8 jillyian
    9 banshee1013
    10 Spiffytools1610
    11 Spatialized
    12 Kupe
    13 kriles76
    14 amiller7x7
    15 gobonas99
    16 MrsCentral CaliCycling
    17 CentralCali Cycling
    18 Hawkeyegal 1995
    19 mdstamand
    20 KitTheRoadie
    21 Shane Meakim
    22 steffenson
    23 trimom10
    24 phytogurl
    25 TDSeest
    26 Frannybobs
    27 BigG59
    28 m1xm0d3
    29 Webtracer

will do...

can I ask a favour as well... Could you add a link to the google sheet in your "logged to this point" messages please, a bit like I did on the Grand Tour Challenge ones :smiley:

(it means that people don't have to start messing around bookmarking the spreadsheet, and people see the state of play immediately)
  • Jakess1971
    Options

will do...

can I ask a favour as well... Could you add a link to the google sheet in your "logged to this point" messages please, a bit like I did on the Grand Tour Challenge ones :smiley:

(it means that people don't have to start messing around bookmarking the spreadsheet, and people see the state of play immediately)

No problem, it's at the top of the thread too ... although nestled in with a lot of gumf.
  • Jakess1971
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Like a bit of visual stats so added a chart to the sheet, these may well get more creative as time goes by:

keel8maajmyp.png

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Se1EMruZS8oYFSZqE5Yr80wMBco1JufRt_J9p93lP5g/edit?usp=sharing
  • Jakess1971
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Starting the ball rolling with my fave pic of the weekends riding, very apt for Winter training as it's foggy :smile:

5hbiec4rtmuu.jpg

• TheBigYin
    Options

will do...

No problem, it's at the top of the thread too ... although nestled in with a lot of gumf.

Cool - the thing I realised with the Grand Tour Challenges is that we're quickly onto page 17, and anything in the OP is long, long forgotten...

• Jakess1971
    Options

Cool - the thing I realised with the Grand Tour Challenges is that we're quickly onto page 17, and anything in the OP is long, long forgotten...

Luckily I think we are no longer limited by pages (hopefully) like the old forum which is a good thing considering it's day 2 of a 121 day challenge .....
  • TheBigYin
    Options

Luckily I think we are no longer limited by pages (hopefully) like the old forum which is a good thing considering it's day 2 of a 121 day challenge .....

I did install a couple of Vanilla Forums setups but off the top of my memory, I can't remember if there is a hard-limit on the maximum no. of posts per thread - the old one used to fold-over to a fresh thread at 500 posts iirc.