Winter Training Challenges - Signup/Discussion Thread

Options

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »
    Well the base admin work is done, we have the logging spreadsheet and thread, the Strava Club, and discussions/fun pics can be kept in this thread, for now myself and Clive are admins and giving Mark a much needed rest to focus on getting back on his feet.

We have 16 to 18 members and more are welcome although we shall cut it off at 40 max, not that I see that happening.

Thanks for keeping me company this Winter and looking forward to a productive off-season.

Kudos to the first one to find that snowman! No cheating and making one out of ice cream! Here in Nottingham we get snow once a year for a day in Feb if we are lucky and then it promptly turns to slush.

Couple of more additions to the challenges:

December specific ones:

Ride on Christmas day, 1 point for riding while others are stuffing faces with Turkey.
    Picture of something Christmas related - 1 point

Strava specific ones:

Earn the MTS achievement for any month - 3 points
    Assuming it's on the Festive 500 - 3 points
    Club leaderboard top three in any category (each week) - 1 point
    Club leaderboard top three speed - 1 point
    - Cut off for these will be midday on each Monday and I'll post these in the logging thread.

Bring on the 1st November!

This Is the Nearest I'll get I reckon... :lol:

pu6dcb2xl5dv.jpg

84mjqnmhw7f5.jpg

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    lol very weak looking virtual snowman!
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    What's the deal with the FTP test? I've never done one and don't know what you do. Please advise.
  • TheBigYin
    Options

Any Better ??

k7afk409b5u7.jpg

PMSL

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    trimom10 wrote: »
    What's the deal with the FTP test? I've never done one and don't know what you do. Please advise.
    Functional Threshold Power test? Oh, you'll enjoy it; it's approximately an hour of PAIN!

Screen-Shot-2015-10-24-at-12.37.44.jpg

/\ Copied from here: http://www.titaniumgeek.com/gear-reviews/zwift-workout-mode/
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »

Any Better ??

k7afk409b5u7.jpg

PMSL

Any Better ??

k7afk409b5u7.jpg

PMSL

Any Better ??

k7afk409b5u7.jpg

PMSL

I'll give you virtual kudos for effort lol.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    FTP, done it once and it's not fun, Zwift have started doing them so I gave it a whirl.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I must be a little slow today but I cannot seem to figure out what is the difference between "in" and "out" on the calories log for the challenge?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    in = indoors (on the trainer), out = outdoors (normal rides)
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I must be a little slow today but I cannot seem to figure out what is the difference between "in" and "out" on the calories log for the challenge?

In = Indoor ride
    Out = Outdoor ride
  • cloggsy71
    edited November 2015
    Options
    'In' = Indoors, 'Out' = Outdoors ;)
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Yes this is a failing on my part for not making that a bit clearer, it's really just a heads up for the admin, if it's 'out' then the strava activity is likely to be simple, if it's in it could be anything from Zwift to a spin class to tricks on a unicycle, any of this is valid as long as your burning calories turning a crank but they usually required photos attached in the Strava activity due to Strava not playing nicely with indoor activities.

Chainsaw-Uni-Juggle-SM_1258.jpg

• TheBigYin
    Options
    ^^^ he's going to have problems logging that - I can't see the Garmin or the HRM band anywhere...
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    ^^^ he's going to have problems logging that - I can't see the Garmin or the HRM band anywhere...

Quite right ... amateur!
  • cloggsy71
    Options

It look ridiculous, It'll probably be really comfortable!
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »

It look ridiculous, It'll probably be really comfortable!

Looks cold to me all that open space. :D

Guess I should've made a real snowman on the way to work yesterday to get bonus points, all I did was make snowballs to toss at the wife.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Looks cold to me all that open space. :D

Guess I should've made a real snowman on the way to work yesterday to get bonus points, all I did was make snowballs to toss at the wife.

Maybe a summer seat eh :)

Looking forward to seeing that snowman.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    We now have 23 active loggers which is great, 8 left to log anything, even if you haven't anything to log by Monday just declare zero cals if you can so we can all see the current standings. We need logging once a week as a minimum or the challenge tends to fall on its *kitten*. Any vacations it's worth sticking these in the logging thread as a heads up too. Feel free to opt out if your not feeling it, I'll take two weeks non logging is an automatic drop.
  • Jakess1971
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ****** Important ******

In the interest of making this challenge as interactive as possible from Monday 0.25 points will be awarded to a logging entry (maximum 0.25 per day), logging rest days up front also counts, this means just for logging you can claim 1.75 points a week just for logging.

If you log several back days in one entry this will count as a single 0.25 point award. It's really just to reward those who take the trouble to keep updating, call it the frequent rider bonus if you like :)

Note: logging bonus will be awarded automatically, no need to declare this in your logging entry.