Need help starting

Options

Replies

• empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You are doing so great. Especially as you didn't just quit and go back to 1200 calorie when you saw a little gain on the scale. How are you fining the lifting with a little more fuel on board? Getting any strength gains there? Keep going!
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You are doing so great. Especially as you didn't just quit and go back to 1200 calorie when you saw a little gain on the scale. How are you fining the lifting with a little more fuel on board? Getting any strength gains there? Keep going!

+1 Great determination! I look forward to seeing your future updates!!!
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options

+1 Great determination! I look forward to seeing your future updates!!!

Thank you!

I just finished an endurance phase of lifting and am now doing a hypertrophy phase. I haven't tested pr's or anything but i feel much better in the gym. I was deadlifting 135 5 times. Now i've been doing 9 sets of 10 at 115 so i know i can blow 135 out of the water.

Can't wait for strength phase next - 2 weeks :)
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    That is so exiting!! I love it when old weights seem easy, can't wait to see your PR's once the strength phase starts for you too!
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    saranharm wrote: »
    Thank you!

I just finished an endurance phase of lifting and am now doing a hypertrophy phase. I haven't tested pr's or anything but i feel much better in the gym. I was deadlifting 135 5 times. Now i've been doing 9 sets of 10 at 115 so i know i can blow 135 out of the water.

Can't wait for strength phase next - 2 weeks :)

That's awesome progress! Being in a hypertrophy phase you want to concentrate on "rep PR's". Like you 9x10x110. You could potentially break the sets up like this:
    5x110
    5x110
    5x110
    AMAPx110 (as many reps as possible)
    Record your AMAP numbers and compare them as you go through your hypertrophy phase.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    That's awesome progress! Being in a hypertrophy phase you want to concentrate on "rep PR's". Like you 9x10x110. You could potentially break the sets up like this:
    5x110
    5x110
    5x110
    AMAPx110 (as many reps as possible)
    Record your AMAP numbers and compare them as you go through your hypertrophy phase.

Thanks.

Right now i'm using kiki's plans and its set up to alternating deadlifts (x10) and ball plank twists (x25)- set of 3 and then repeat that circuit twice.

I'm going to keep your advice in mine for
    My next hypertrophy phase.
  • ambsnic17
    ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    With weight gain how do you know it's water weight vs. true fat gain? That's what I struggle with with finding my tdee.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ambsnic17 wrote: »
    With weight gain how do you know it's water weight vs. true fat gain? That's what I struggle with with finding my tdee.

Fat is not fast, lost or gained.

And after some initial differences - there is no more water weight big fluctuations over weekly time periods - daily sure.

Like if you have just started increasing calories from a low level - could have couple weeks of increased carb storage causing faster water weight gain.
    But unless the workouts keep improving so much to store more carbs - that type of increase levels out to maybe just a little more if you are actually improving in intensity or duration of carb burning workouts.

But fat gain pretty much is close to the loss formula - 1 lb change requires a difference of 3500 calories over the course of whatever time you are looking at.
    Gain takes slightly more calories because you don't store as fat all the extra that you eat as some calories are used in processing, that's the burn formula though pretty close.

So if you gain 1 lb slowly over 2 weeks with valid weigh-ins - you could be eating 250 daily over true TDEE.
    That is assuming you are not still in increased eating phase nor initial leveling phase.
    And then that 250 extra eating over true TDEE must at least appear valid.
    Like if you are pretty sure you under-estimated activity level, then could be something else.
    Food logging could enter in to that too.
    250 more daily is about 10% if eating around 2000-2500 - acceptable and expected level of inaccuracy - so you adjust for it.
    But that much more eating around 1200 is just sloppy logging probably.
  • doosalily15
    doosalily15 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    How do we begin?
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    @doosalily15 what are you wanting to start?
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Update:

image_2.jpg

Eating 2500 last week my weight seems to have trended up. I am going to stay at 2500 for another week to see if it stabilized. If it doesn't i will decrease to 2400 calories and my reset will have begun!
  • justsayinisall
    justsayinisall Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    excellent! I sometimes wonder if having the Fitbit HR is helpful. I hate non gym days because I only get to eat around 2000 lol
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    excellent! I sometimes wonder if having the Fitbit HR is helpful. I hate non gym days because I only get to eat around 2000 lol

Sounds so sad! Lol!

I don't have any device so mine is averaged out between gym & non gym days :)
  • michelski
    michelski Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow a reset on 2400 :-) Happy days ! I'm hoping when I approach Reset my cals will be sufficiently UP like yours :-)
  • heybales
    Options
    saranharm wrote: »
    Update:

image_2.jpg

Eating 2500 last week my weight seems to have trended up. I am going to stay at 2500 for another week to see if it stabilized. If it doesn't i will decrease to 2400 calories and my reset will have begun!

Remember - if really eating only 100 over potential TDEE - it would take 35 days of that to show an extra pound slowly being gained.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Remember - if really eating only 100 over potential TDEE - it would take 35 days of that to show an extra pound slowly being gained.

Right. How do I tell then if I reached tdee? Do I have to wait 35 days to see if i've gained a pound?
  • jerilynconn
    Options
  • heybales
    Options
    Too long - hence the 2 week 250 test when you think you are at TDEE already.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Too long - hence the 2 week 250 test when you think you are at TDEE already.

I seem to have missed this @heybales where can I get more info?
  • heybales
    Options
    2 weeks eat 250 more daily than you were.

If truly over TDEE by 250 then there would be a slow 1 lb weight gain over that 2 weeks.

Of course need valid weigh-ins on both sides of that to minimize expected water weight fluctuations.
    So 5 meat pizza night the day before is out, as is endurance cardio workout and light meal afterwards, or killer lifting routine.
    Also need the correct 2 weeks during your cycle to minimize that expected change in BMR and water weight.

If weight stays the same or drops - your potential daily burn either sped up or body became more unstressed and dropped water weight.
    If weight increases faster at once - you appear to have had more glucose stores to top off with attached water.
    If weight is that 1 lb only - your prior level was indeed TDEE.

And if lifting during this time - won't even be all fat, but it'll still be slow.