One Day at a Time, One Meal a Day (ODAT-OMAD)

Options

Replies

• Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Abm4n wrote: »
    I am interested in a total day of fasting - that would be a 36hr fast right? Eating breakfast the next day, for example fasting Friday and having breakfast on Saturday morning. Well, that would be a good goal. I could do it today! ? Well, it sounds like a good idea. Just a matter of doing it.

Yes that's right and I even chew on sugarless gum :)
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    This morning I weighed myself at 82.4 kg (181.6 lb). So that's a loss of about half a kg or 1 lb over the past fortnight. I am pleased with that for sure. I have eaten one meal a day from Monday till Friday and have exercised three times this week. So everything is going well.
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Got inspired by some of your winter photos. Here's mine. Brisbane morning forecast 30 C or 87 F. zpktvu2ot4mc.jpg
  • Brendalea69
    Options
    Abm4n that is BEAUTIFUL!!! I'm jealous :p
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Nice!
  • EVP_NZ
    EVP_NZ Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    @Abm4n, that's got me jealous and it's even summer here. Those poor chilly northerners! ;)
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Very steady progress for me the past few weeks. I seem to be stuck at three kilos above my target weight. In a way it's frustrating but in another way it's OK. I am persevering with OMAD during the week and eating two or even the meals on weekends. This might just be where my body wants to be right now.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I struggle when I'm so close as well.. I sort of just relax. I like to pretend I have more to lose than I do. Like I'd say I need to lose 4 kgs but tell myself that I'm trying to lose the last 10. It seems to help. I'm not sure why.
  • Abm4n
    Options
    This week I put on more weight. Over the past six months or so it has been a steady climb back towards where I used to be about two years ago. I have reset my calorie goals and recommitted to exercising more. Today I went for a walk around a beautiful lake close to where I live. It has been a while since I have logged all my meals and I have decided to revert to careful logging. Again. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day.
  • Brendalea69
    Options
    That's right, tomorrow IS another day :)
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I am confident the body will respond to consistent application of OMAD, stay strong!
  • blambo61
    Options
    Observing what is going on and then making a plan is the start. Now just do your plan and you will get there!
  • Abm4n
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Giulia Enders. One of my favourite online personalities right now. OK so in this interview she is selling herself as an author on a Norwegian-Swedish television talk show but if you can speak German her posts in her own language are pretty awesome too. Charming and so passionate about gut health. <3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjfp77VgHkE
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Yeah, so today and yesterday I ate some pickled red cabbage on a roll with some Mexican style fajitas - my usual fare. I have been trying to re-cultivate my gut biome. I have had a kind of pain in my shoulder that has been moving around. This non-specific moving around body pain I attribute to too much sugar causing inflammation of the shoulder area. So back to the basics yet again.
  • blambo61
    Options
    My buddy, you may have gout! Get your uric acid levels checked. Gout does exactly that. I've had it in my shoulders, knees, fingers, wrists, toes, ankles, calves that I can think of right now. Sugar is bad for gout if that is what you have. Cutting back on it seems to help a lot of things.

I like to make my own yogurt also for gut health. I just mix powdered milk at double strength with water and add a spoon full of yogurt with live cultures. Blend that and let it sit out overnight someplace where it won't get too cool. Will have yogurt in the morning. Can add a little jam or fruit to it and it's really good with much less sugar and other junk than the store bought stuff. You can also make it using milk instead of water and just use half as much powder as the previously mentioned recipe.

Resistant starch is supposed to be good for gut bioms. Cold mashed potatoes, raw oatmeal are good sources (can add a little to a smoothy and blend it up).
  • Abm4n
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yeah, maybe. I never thought of that but I have had gout before in my toes. I got my first bout on Christmas Day and it was so painful and I had no idea why! I know that I need to cut back on sugar regardless. I have been feeling slight twinges of gout-like symptoms in my toes and feet but put just it out of mind.
  • blambo61
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Since you have had gout before, there is a good chance the pain in your shoulder is gout. Get your uric acid levels checked to find out if they are high. Allopurinal could possibly really help you too if it becomes a problem. I've had it now for about 10 years starting in my mid 40's. Not a fun thing to deal with. Allopurinol is a daily thing that lowers uric acid production. There are other meds you can take if you have an attack also which I have on hand.

ACV is supposed to help. I have had it knock down an attack in a few hours. Vitamin C is supposed to help. Cherries are supposed to help also.
  • Brendalea69
    Options
    I Hope you don't have gout but like blambo61 said, I have also read that resistant starch is good for gut bacteria too...Good luck!!!
  • Abm4n
    Options
    FINALLY TURNED THE CORNER

This is where I was at the end of January this year:

Another good week. I went one meal a day for five days and ate two meals for two days.

Starting weight 200 lbs
    Current Weight 182.5 lbs (lost 1 lb)
    Target Weight 175 lbs

Today, three months later, I am exactly the same. However, these figures do not tell the story of the insidious weight gain I have experienced over the past few months. Today, I am able to say that I have finally turned the corner and have come to a new understanding of OMAD and how to use it.

Previously, using OMAD I gave myself permission to overeat, thinking that OMAD would give me a "free pass" to overindulge in many foods that I had in the past ruled "off limits". I am talking about tiramisu, trifle desserts, many baked desserts, rich cheese chocolates etc every single day!

Now I have come to realise that OMAD is not a magical silver bullet but a tool that can be used along with other tools such as exercise, low carb, and other ideas as part of a coherent program to control weight.I have been feeling a lot better and have actually lost 2 kilos or about 5 lbs in the past two weeks. Sounds good but I am really just back to where I was three months ago.

In other respects I am feeling really good about where I am right now and have re-committed to using OMAD in a sensible, constructive way. My goal now is to eat OMAD at least three or four times per week with two meals a day on the other days (weekends for example).
  • Abm4n
    Options
    P.S. Regarding gout I had my blood tested recently and am waiting for the results.