One Day at a Time, One Meal a Day (ODAT-OMAD)

Options

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat once in awhile with them on special occasions but not a daily basis type of thing. That is what I'm trying to do.
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Went OMAD again yesterday,a public holiday. I went back to an old favourite - roast pork which I know always resets my body back to where it sits best. I ate at 2.30 pm. That seems to be when I eat if I am not working. I have been reading and watching programs about the human biome and as a result have decided to eat food with more fibre. So more broccoli and other fibrous vegetables are back in fashion again. Lean people have a different gut biome to overweight and obese people apparently. Native people who stick to their traditional diet can eat up to ten times the amount of fibre that developed western cultures do and as a result they can avoid many of the metabolic or lifestyle diseases of civilisation.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Great information.
  • OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Abm4n wrote: »
    Went OMAD again yesterday,a public holiday. I went back to an old favourite - roast pork which I know always resets my body back to where it sits best. I ate at 2.30 pm. That seems to be when I eat if I am not working. I have been reading and watching programs about the human biome and as a result have decided to eat food with more fibre. So more broccoli and other fibrous vegetables are back in fashion again. Lean people have a different gut biome to overweight and obese people apparently. Native people who stick to their traditional diet can eat up to ten times the amount of fibre that developed western cultures do and as a result they can avoid many of the metabolic or lifestyle diseases of civilisation.

Wow....roast pork---YUMMY! Thank you so much for this post, it's inspirational and you're doing GREAT!

9fc459013fa7b476b834088b05851592.jpg
  • Abm4n
    Options
    I am going to eat on plan today and for the first four days of this week. I am feeling a bit yucky after eating off plan last week. I have been regaining a few kilos over the past week or so...It is always the same after I accept lunch from people who don't know my eating protocol. One of the ladies at work is a diabetic and she cooks her diabetes-inducing food for me. When will I learn to say no?
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    You are a very nice man and don't want to disappoint someone who is giving you a gift of food. When will you learn to say no....well, when you're ready.
  • OMADing1
    Options
    I am going to eat on plan today and for the first four days of this week. I am feeling a bit yucky after eating off plan last week. I have been regaining a few kilos over the past week or so...It is always the same after I accept lunch from people who don't know my eating protocol. One of the ladies at work is a diabetic and she cooks her diabetes-inducing food for me. When will I learn to say no?

6f7ea77ccd95a76082437f9c4b5f90f4.jpg

OIP-M0d69b3d7d8f33656f7ec2b86605a5022o0.jpg
  • Abm4n
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I finally got to say no to the free lunch today. I just sat there while the others around the table tucked in to white bread rolls with sweet and or savoury fillings for morning tea then a full rice meal for lunch.

Today I found out that one of my students has diabetes. Yesterday I found out that two others in my class have diabetes. Metabolic disease is rife in the refugee community. I think that the prevalence of this disease has given me the courage to say no to food that is offered to me. I have "come out" as a faster and they will just have to deal with that. I feel so much better when I eat OMAD with a single main meal in the late afternoon.

I just had an orange for lunch today and yesterday a couple of boiled eggs for lunch + a single evening meal. It may seem a bit weird to avoid this social eating on a daily basis but it is not worth compromising my health just to (supposedly) make others feel a little bit more comfortable.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    There you go.....you are standing up for yourself !!! Wonderful progress. :) Because of your stance on food it could help someone else look at their diet and change the way they eat. You could be the inspiration that starts a movement at your workplace because of your tenacity.
  • Abm4n
    Options
    This evening at a meeting, I pushed back chocolate cake and a tray of sweets proffered by kind, well-meaning but ultimately unhelpful friends. It is a case of establishing and then adhering to personal rules of conduct.
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! it is much appreciated. :)
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    It's one day at a time. I'm sure they will understand eventually. Keep up the wonderful job.
  • OMADing1
    edited October 2016
    Options
    This evening at a meeting, I pushed back chocolate cake and a tray of sweets proffered by kind, well-meaning but ultimately unhelpful friends. It is a case of establishing and then adhering to personal rules of conduct.

52a1f8d74c54d8223b2aec832eb89c9b.jpg

d6168566e30b63f1c19e5cfb975386d6.jpg
  • Abm4n
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hey OMADers, hope you are having a good day. I have had a good week at work and have declined all offers of "free lunch" and off plan snacks. I ate OMAD for 4 days in a row this week. I feasted like a king at night and still managed to lose nearly 2 kilos or about 4 lbs. OK so they were 4 lbs of excess weight I put on last week but still, it confirmed my belief: this way of eating really works.

I have had high energy and elevated moods all week. Next week will be a test because we are having our regular open buffet at work. In the past this buffet style lunch of has been a pitfall for me because once I start I find it hard to stop, however, given the choice of a work lunch buffet or my own "eat like a king" dinner I will take my own food at dinner any day of the week.

This week I have been looking at hoarding and have been throwing stuff out and organising stuff to either store away in better order or to simply give away. I have found myself having more energy when I give things away. I do a have a tendency to hoard due to the accumulation of losses and deprivations throughout my life so it is something that I have to watch (along with open lunch buffets). Something to do with having to spend my entire schooling years (13 yrs) at boarding schools and orphanages where I suffered from food deprivation. This experience, I believe, turned me into an opportunist feeder.

But now by following an OMAD plan and literally "eating like a king" every single day I believe that I am overcoming this life story of deprivation even as a lose weight. For example, for the past two days I have been eating half a family pack of chocolate profiteroles for dessert with added cream etc plus more chocolate, but by limiting my eating to one meal a day my body is still able to eat within my daily or weekly plan and to maintain a healthy and steady weight. I am now back at my ideal weight again.
  • OMADing1
    Options
    Hey OMADers, hope you are having a good day. I have had a good week at work and have declined all offers of "free lunch" and off plan snacks. I ate OMAD for 4 days in a row this week. I feasted like a king at night and still managed to lose nearly 2 kilos or about 4 lbs. OK so they were 4 lbs of excess weight I put on last week but still, it confirmed my belief: this way of eating really works.

I have had high energy and elevated moods all week. Next week will be a test because we are having our regular open buffet at work. In the past this buffet style lunch of has been a pitfall for me because once I start I find it hard to stop, however, given the choice of a work lunch buffet or my own "eat like a king" dinner I will take my own food at dinner any day of the week.

This week I have been looking at hoarding and have been throwing stuff out and organising stuff to either store away in better order or to simply give away. I have found myself having more energy when I give things away. I do a have a tendency to hoard due to the accumulation of losses and deprivations throughout my life so it is something that I have to watch (along with open lunch buffets). Something to do with having spend my entire schooling years (13 yrs) at boarding schools and orphanages. It has made me into a kind of opportunist feeder. By literally eating like a king every single day I believe that I am overcoming this life story of deprivation even as a lose weight. There is a paradox here because for the past two days I have been eating half a family pack of chocolate profiteroles for dessert with added cream etc, but by limiting my eating to one meal a day my body is still able to handle this much food and maintain a healthy and steady weight loss. I am now back at my ideal weight again.

Hey!

You are doing sooooo WELL! The greater majority of this battle is a mental one and our pasts, hording and other real issues play a huge part in the hows/whys we do things. That you are becoming "conscience" of these things are nothing less than break-thrus. I'm so sorry about your younger life filled with woes, and ya know what...I know I have many battle scars of issues too. One of them for me was FEAR...before OMAD, I used to be filled with all kinds of fears, now that I acknowledge them and purposely go against them, it seems the battle gets easier and easier. It's still a battle, but now that I see how fear has robbed me of the most excellent and wonderful things, it's easier to reject the fear and take on the issue(s). OMAD is truly helping us in more ways than we think, daily.

Also...I don't know what happened to my replies/pics I posted for you on the thread above this one...here they are again, just because:

OIP-M0d69b3d7d8f33656f7ec2b86605a5022o0.jpg

BeAj30sIUAAPg2y.png
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    You have come a long way. A 4 pound loss is GREAT!! Wow! Don't you love eating like a king when you get home and you get to lose weight too. Things happened to me in my past when I was homeless with two young children. I didn't eat for days because I wanted my children to eat. I think all of us have something that has made us who we are today.

The best thing about the struggles we endure are the strengths we get from them. Just look how far you've come. A job, a home, food to eat like a king every evening, and friends on this site to encourage you. You are doing great.

Congrats on the weight loss!!
  • OMADing1
    Options
    Hi!

Checking in on you to say ***HI*** and to see how you are doing and feeling these day! I hope/trust all is well.

CaDobExWIAAXO3Z.png
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Ongoing issues with food at work have been a challenge for the past week or two. However I am persevering and intend to implement my IF plan regardless. This is what they served up for me last week. jfjqh4svm0im.jpg
    After this lunch we had another additional cream cake for afternoon tea!
  • Abm4n
    Options
    I just have to say it - refugees have issues around food. Their long periods of near starvation can lead to over-consumption during periods of plenty. Also carbs and sugary foods are cheap! So food becomes a means of compensation and a way to preserve identity in a land of overconsumption.
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Christmas at Aldi.
    I love the traditional German foods that Aldi have at this time of year. Marzipan bread, marzipan pastries, well pretty much anything with marzipan and chances are I will like it. Also their chocolate treats are so tempting. With so much temptation around all the more reason to limit consumption to a narrow eating window of a couple of hours per day or even better go 1 meal a day! You can still enjoy your favourite treats if you limit yourself in this way.