One Day at a Time, One Meal a Day (ODAT-OMAD)

Options

Replies

• OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Abm4n wrote: »
    This week I have two OMAD days and five days with 2 meals a day. It was enough to keep everything under control. On the second OMAD day I felt no hunger, even after fasting for about 28 hours. Just very "high" i.e. elated and in great spirits. When I ate, I ate about 1,800 - 2,00 calories. It's a lot to eat in one meal but it's great to eat like a king once a day.

You're doing great, keep up the GOOD job!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    The big meal is nice!
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The last four days I have gone OMAD for three days! Wow that is the most I have gone OMAD since I started this project. No hunger. My mind was so sharp and calm at work. I had a couple of incidents occur which would normally invoke an anger reaction in me - the usual petty "gremlins" of work culture and administration but I just took it in my stride.

Now the gains are more in terms of my mental focus and emotional stability. I was diagnosed with ADD some years ago (as an adult) but I seem to be able to focus on the task at hand without being put off by duckheads and mind-numbing petty details a lot better than I ever used to be able to (without meds).

Getting close to 60 years old probably helps too.
  • OMADing1
    Options
    The last four days I have gone OMAD for three days! Wow that is the most I have gone OMAD since I started this project. No hunger. My mind was so sharp and calm at work. I had a couple of incidents occur which would normally invoke an anger reaction in me - the usual petty "gremlins" of work culture and administration but I just took it in my stride.

Now the gains are more in terms of my mental focus and emotional stability. I was diagnosed with ADD some years ago (as an adult) but I seem to be able to focus on the task at hand without being put off by duckheads and mind-numbing petty details a lot better than I ever used to be able to (without meds).

Getting close to 60 years old probably helps too.

Absolutely tremendous, period.
  • Abm4n
    Options
    OK, so I got food "ambushed" again at work again yesterday. The usual scenario - someone's birthday or someone leaving or some other reason. The feast food is prepared, brought in and laid out on a table for everyone to share. It is delicious and spectacular. I am invited - or just TOLD to participate and once again I comply, at first dutifully, then enthusiastically until I have over-indulged. We do this at morning tea then again for lunch. Others bring in food for me to take home. I give some away and throw the rest in the bin after the students have gone home.

Then I go home and decide to eat my own food all over again because I like my own food and don't feel right without it. So I put on just over 1 kg in a day and feel "blaaagh" the next day. It will take me a few days to get back to feeling "normal" again. Meanwhile I am feeling out of sorts.

I am going to put a stop to this. I am not going to eat this food that looks delicious and appears healthy but it is a trojan horse for all kinds of other unhealthy foods and unnecessary indulgences. I had three large cooked meals yesterday and still had a little snack before I went to bed.

No more! :|

• OMADing1
    edited September 2016
    Options
    OK, so I got food "ambushed" again at work again yesterday. The usual scenario - someone's birthday or someone leaving or some other reason. The feast food is prepared, brought in and laid out on a table for everyone to share. It is delicious and spectacular. I am invited - or just TOLD to participate and once again I comply, at first dutifully, then enthusiastically until I have over-indulged. We do this at morning tea then again for lunch. Others bring in food for me to take home. I give some away and throw the rest in the bin after the students have gone home.

Then I go home and decide to eat my own food all over again because I like my own food and don't feel right without it. So I put on just over 1 kg in a day and feel "blaaagh" the next day. It will take me a few days to get back to feeling "normal" again. Meanwhile I am feeling out of sorts.

I am going to put a stop to this. I am not going to eat this food that looks delicious and appears healthy but it is a trojan horse for all kinds of other unhealthy foods and unnecessary indulgences. I had three large cooked meals yesterday and still had a little snack before I went to bed.

No more! :|

Your honesty and determination is admirable. o:)Let me tell you, you ARE NOT alone in this struggle AT ALL--far from it. Today is a "fast" day for me, meaning, I'm only eating 500-600 cals today (kinda like my own version of 5:2, except it's more of a 6:1 now though (meaning 6 days 1200-1400 or so cals for six days per week and one day per week of 5:2 diet/500-600 cals, cause I'm so NOT ready to DRY or water fast for a whole 24 day straight YET). I just started this a couple of weeks ago and it's NOT for the faint of heart. I started out doing this 2 days per week, but now I'm down to just one day per week. Anywho, today I am so HUNGRY and here's why...the kids made sausage spinach cheesy omlets, bacon and hash browns for breakfast (the smell was overwhelmingly delicious) had McDonald's fries for lunch (again...the smell has intoxicating (BEFORE starting OMAD, I am/WAS former french frie-aholic), my oldest brought in a surprise "gift" of a ton of packages of my favorite gourmet Jordan Almonds, everyone's cheering and opening bags of them and saying how yummy they are. Hubby had a great day at the office and called to say he's taking me out to our favorite restaurant--long story short...HOW I desperately wanted to have some of that breakfast this morning--how I URGENTLY wanted some of those fries, how I utterly wanted at least one of those yummy candy Jordan almonds (BEFORE starting OMAD, I am/WAS a former MEGA sweet-tooth, all-day snacking on sweets and goodies junky too), how I TRULY AND FRANTICALLY wanted to go out to dinner, instead of having my oatmeal surprise dinner. I thanked my husband, but asked him to just take the kids and enjoy and have some for me. Now, here I am preparing to eat soon. My meal time ISN'T here yet, my tummy isn't just growling...it's ROARING AND just to give my mind and body an extra kick, instead of eating as soon as my hour gets here, I'm going to wait an extra hour and I'vee just been downing lots of water and herbal tea, just on general purposes...and all the goodies and yummies is a HUGE temptation and distraction and UGH-YUCK-HELP ME but no, my home is loaded with TONS of yummy stuff that helped get me and keep me obese, depressed and pre-diabetic or worse disease related to obesity just waiting to happen--SO, EVERYDAY 24X7X365--I'm surrounded by the BEST junky and healthy yummies constantly, so again, you're NOT alone at all--I so literally feel your pain!!!!

BUT...

I'm on a mission, to get slimmer and healthier and to exercise self-control and master this body of mine. I'm on a mission to live this OMAD lifestyle no matter what temptations are coming my way. So, I said no to the delicious breakfast, NO to the french fries, no to the candy and NO to the dinner invite.

WHY?

Because I can have some or perhaps even all or those things tomorrow (if I want them), but not now mind and body--NO! I'm going to enjoy my kinda large bowl (about 2-3 cups or so)pumpkin seed, cinnamon buckwheat, hemp, chia oatmeal mixed with creamy coconut oatmeal with a tablespoon of warrior blend, maca cacao nibs, some butter, 1/2 cup of blackberries, and 10 almonds and I'm going to eat it s-l-o-w-l-y and enjoy every single bite! Knowing that tomorrow, if I so choose, I can plan to include those things I missed out on or not.

PLEASE KNOW YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN THE AREA OF TEMPTATION--I'M SO THERE WITH YOU!!!!!!!

Your attitude is terrific and it takes time to get into a mind-set and to not look back, I totally relate to your struggles. For me, I'm just tired of my mind and body being the "boss of me"--because the temptations are constantly rearing their worrisome and yummy heads around me ALL THE TIME, EVERY DAY too.

I'm rooting for you, you're doing well and it will get better as time goes on, period. If you get a chance, look at some of the motivational pics I've posted...they help me alot!!!!

You rock, rather you're successful today or not.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Once a month at work we celebrate the monthly birthdays so there is a pizza and ice cream cake for lunch. I usually get a piece of pizza and cake and go to my office where I throw it away. After a phone call or two I join the party with a glass of ice water. I hate wasting food but it works like a charm.
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Hey thanks for that @OMADing1 and @SavedByGrace. I took the food I was offered today and took it back to my office, then put it in a plastic bag and threw it out. At the end of the day I threw out a whole heap more food from the fridge. It felt very bad and "wrong" to throw out food that was given to me but I kept to my resolution and ate OMAD today. Yay!
  • OMADing1
    Options
    Hey thanks for that @OMADing1 and @SavedByGrace. I took the food I was offered today and took it back to my office, then put it in a plastic bag and threw it out. At the end of the day I threw out a whole heap more food from the fridge. It felt very bad and "wrong" to throw out food that was given to me but I kept to my resolution and ate OMAD today. Yay!

YAY indeed! 4032785
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    Now that's what I call progress. You did the right thing for yourself and your body. Way to go!!!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    There are two aspects to the work lunch it seems, one is the temptation that it is and the other is are we being rude. I've found that if I can get over the temptation, that if I say I'm good and skip it, they are all ok since they know what I'm doing. Could be different in different places. For me the temptation is the hardest part.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    Temptation is hard for me too but being disappointed in myself is far worse.
  • OMADing1
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Temptation is hard for me too but being disappointed in myself is far worse.

Yep, totally. I now am looking at "temptation" as an enemy, a challenge and OMAD is helping me develop a warrior attitude about just bowing down to temptation anymore. I now can SEE that temptation, like pain is helping to make me STRONGER, instead of how I used to dread it, fear it, serve it and again bow down to it. Temptation is helping me to see the truth about myself and situations and I now say, "bring it" I'll knock you out by NOT giving in to you, period. I'm the "decider" here now in my life and what and when I eat, NOT temptation. Temptation is NOT the boss of me anymore--again, I see it for who/what it truly is and how self-destruction (and all it's yucky companions) is the name of it's game. I understand that temptation aint going nowhere, it will always be with me and I'll always have a CHOICE to serve/obey/bow down to it or kick it's butt with self control, humility, joy and POWER OVER IT! o:)
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    That's a very powerful statement. Last night I watched a video Joe recently posted on his channel and he was just talking about this. Have you watched it yet?
  • Abm4n
    Options
    So this week has been ...interesting! I have been struggling with the food given to me once again. It is all part of my journey. Other people have to walk past their favourite cake shops or favourite pizza outlet every day; I have people bring home cooked food every day at work.

I did take some home some delicious Afghani Rice (at least it was better than eating it at work). Then I was faced with the dilemma of eating it or throwing it out. I ate some and will throw the rest out. I figure this is a compromise. I have resolved not to eat at work!!! I have made a decision to say "than you" for other food before throwing it out quietly. I hate to do this but it's the best thing I can do right now. Later, I will just tell people not to bring me food.

For the past two days I have eaten OMAD. I feel so much better when I do this. I am fully committed to eating OMAD for at least 3-4 days during the working week.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You are being strong. Keep saying Thank you.... but No Thank you. I know it must be hard but you're making good decisions.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Good going!
  • Abm4n
    Options
    @newmeadow. Thanks for naming these people as Foodpushers. I have always found that giving a problem a name helps me to deal with it. I have always kind of blamed myself both for accepting and for rejecting food given to me by others. Somehow I always felt like I should be grateful for something that I didn't ask for and don't want. So either way I felt that I was doing the wrong thing. So yeah, "Foodpushers" it's a good name and it helps to remind me that it's not about me but about them.
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Today I had my one meal early at midday. I made a couple of changes in my diet and had some German style whole meal rye bread from Aldi. It really filled me up and I didn't feel the need to eat again.

I felt really good all day. I have been reading about the human gut biome and have felt inspired to increase my intake of fibrous veggies and to allow myself some fruit too. I can't remember ever feeling physically better than I do right now.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    Sounds good and healthy.