One Day at a Time, One Meal a Day (ODAT-OMAD)

Options

Replies

• Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hey OMAD revolutionaries, my voluntary work turned into a paid job so now I am working four days a week teaching literacy and numeracy to refugees. They are always giving me food but I learning to say no thanks.
  • Abm4n
    edited July 2016
    Options
    One more thing..quite a few of my students are Muslims and I can't help but notice the drastic improvement in their health after the fasting month of Ramadan where they do not eat from sunrise to sunset. That 12 hour eating break does wonders for them even if they overeat somewhat before and after the daily fast. They have just finished Ramadan and are in far better health than they were a month ago.

This is a wonderful topic to discuss when teaching English and I am fascinated to examine the diet of people in different parts of the world. You know the consumption of food here in Australia is so high especially when compared with parts of the world and yet people in these "poorer" countries can still have good health when they eat their native diet and eat less processed, sugary foods.
  • OMADing1
    OMADing1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You're doing GREAT and thanks for sharing this info of your journey and including pics. Very helpful and inspiring!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this! I love the Dunedin Study.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I've fasted 24-hrs once a month for my adult life for religious purposes and I do think it helps with developing discipline. Mind over body like you say!
  • Abm4n
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The last few weeks have been tough keeping to my plan. I aim to fast during the day and get literally dragged into buffet style all you can eat lunches. I have previously written how a large range of buffet food choices leads to greater consumption of calories. At least that is my experience.

This is a typical lunch buffet.

4ntvzjeqqtum.jpeg

I can't opt out of special celebrations out of respect for my students who ply me with food. But I have said no to having a cooked lunch every day provided by one student in particular.

By going back to the basics I am able to reset my weight to within 1 kg of my target weight. A couple of days OMAD and I am right on target again.
  • Abm4n
    Options
    This is me wearing a jumper knitted by my mother when I was a teenager of 19 years. That's 40 years ago. Still fits quite well even if it is a bit short! cn439yx6ibj0.jpeg
  • arguablysamson
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yep, lots of great food!

But of course, that's all the better an opportunity to grab your plate, selectively fill it up, get the beverage, and show everyone how it's done! :-)
  • Fumpydink
    Fumpydink Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You look seriously trim!! Buffet yum!!
  • blambo61
    Options
    Man, that's a lot of good looking food. It would be hard if that was in front of me often! You seem to be handling it though! Good job!
  • OMADing1
    Options
    Abm4n wrote: »
    The last few weeks have been tough keeping to my plan. I aim to fast during the day and get literally dragged into buffet style all you can eat lunches. I have previously written how a large range of buffet food choices leads to greater consumption of calories. At least that is my experience.

This is a typical lunch buffet.

4ntvzjeqqtum.jpeg

I can't opt out of special celebrations out of respect for my students who ply me with food. But I have said no to having a cooked lunch every day provided by one student in particular.

By going back to the basics I am able to reset my weight to within 1 kg of my target weight. A couple of days OMAD and I am right on target again.

Wow! Such super GREAT choices here to fill a plate up with. No need at all to say no thank you. YUMMY stuff everywhere.
  • OMADing1
    Options
    Abm4n wrote: »
    This is me wearing a jumper knitted by my mother when I was a teenager of 19 years. That's 40 years ago. Still fits quite well even if it is a bit short! cn439yx6ibj0.jpeg

So terrific!
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Just had a great day food-wise. Fasted until dinner time then had a very satisfying meal. Let myself eat as much as I wanted for dinner . In the end I didn't eat for 27 hours and didn't feel hungry once!
  • blambo61
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • thebobogrind
    thebobogrind Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    :o
  • Abm4n
    Options
    More and more days now I am eating OMAD. This makes my life so simple. I wake up and go to work. When I get there around 8.30 am I make myself a cup of coffee. This keeps me going until I get home around 4.30 pm . I might have an orange or an avocado for lunch but I don't need breakfast or lunch most days now. It makes life so simple.

There is less cooking, cleaning, washing up etc. When I get home I feast "like a king" on any rich foods I like then I stop. I don't deliberately exercise to lose weight and I don't go to the gym to life weights any more. I just play social tennis and maybe do some yoga if I feel like I want to .

I seem to be able to keep my weight to within a 1kg band. Somewhere between 77 - 78 kg.

On the days than I eat more than one meal I will have a hearty breakfast of eggs and bacon or chorizo sausage and scrabbled eggs - whatever I feel I need. I really think that this way of eating one meal a day - even just once or twice a week can make a big positive improvement in our health.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Once you realize the peace that comes from OMAD (as you have), it's hard to ever depart from it. Unless a person is running from something in their life or else hiding from some truth.
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Thanks Joe.

It is such a privilege to be part of this supportive group. A credit to you.
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Agree totally - this is a huge service Joe has provided everyone!!