One Day at a Time, One Meal a Day (ODAT-OMAD)

Options

Replies

• SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You could change your meal time to incorporate the foods they fix eating only one desert if you change your meal time to that time. Also, you have to know that you cannot eat again at night when you go home and will have to wait till the next day to eat again. You wouldn't get to fix your favorite meal at night like you've been doing.

I know it must be tempting with all those sweets. Its almost like sitting a bottle of liquor in front of an alcoholic. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I hope you find a solution.

Are the people who eat this food all overweight? Are they consuming large amounts of food and sugar?

All the best to you.
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hi Linda, thanks for dropping in. Re: your question "Are the people who eat this food all overweight? Are they consuming large amounts of food and sugar?"

I would say yes, most of them are overweight and furthermore a large proportion (certainly the majority of my students) have type 2 diabetes. In one week they told me: Monday - two students have diabetes; Tuesday - 1 student has diabetes; Thursday - another student in a different class has diabetes. So it's a regular (almost daily) thing. I find it very sad because so much of this is avoidable through regulating our diet. IF is the best way to repair insulin sensitivity and reverse many of the symptoms of type 2 diabetes.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    What if the school taught them about sugar diabetes and how they are destroying their bodies by eating all the sugar. Maybe ask them to bring fruits and vegetable and not bring sugar into the school so they can begin getting better. Would the school incorporate that into their studies.

I feel so sad for them and hope someone can teach them the right way to eat. ♥
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Checking in: Good Morning to everyone on the OMAD journey. It is not always an easy way to travel but it certainly has its rewards. I have been struggling a bit lately with motivation and as a result have been getting into some not-so-good habits. My weight is creeping upwards. On the plus side I know from experience how to get myself out of this slump. OMAD works for me every time.

I recently bought myself a blood glucose meter and this is proving to be a blessing, albeit one that comes with some difficult-to-accept truths. Firstly, I am on the borderline of prediabetes based on my blood sugar levels.

That is the bad news - the good news is that I can do something about this. If I fast long enough my blood sugar comes down to a perfectly good level. If I snack throughout the day it stays high. Well, that is not exactly news but it is good to have the "scientific" evidence to confirm what I already suspected.

So now I have another reason not to eat during the day - to keep my blood sugar within the healthy fasted range. I am also becoming more and more sensitive to what I eat and how it makes me feel. If I eat junk I feel junk, while if I eat healthy I feel healthy. This is all part of the journey. It becomes less and less desirable for me to eat bad quality food. Put another way, more and more, I am rewarded for eating healthy food intermittently; ideally, once a day.

So I have the knowledge and the understanding of how OMAD works it is up to me to modify my behaviour to comply with the eating guidelines in order to reap the rewards.

• SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    I'm happy to see your post and so happy you purchased a glucose meter and found out your blood level. It's very courageous of you and great to know it's not too late to change those results. Sometimes it takes a shock to get us to see things clearly.

It sounds like you are back on OMAD and since you know what to do to get healthy it should be easy to get to a healthy place.

Explaining about blood sugar to your students who want you to eat the sugary foods may help them see that they could do something positive about their health as well.

• mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    ive sort of skimmed over your thread.....and Im confused....why did one person bring you food everyday? (I dont understand why they did that) And why are there such large buffets for parties all the time?? I find it kind of crazy!! lol Not trying to be mean or anything...I just dont understand............lol
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Abm4n wrote: »
    Checking in: Good Morning to everyone on the OMAD journey. It is not always an easy way to travel but it certainly has its rewards. I have been struggling a bit lately with motivation and as a result have been getting into some not-so-good habits. My weight is creeping upwards. On the plus side I know from experience how to get myself out of this slump. OMAD works for me every time.

I recently bought myself a blood glucose meter and this is proving to be a blessing, albeit one that comes with some difficult-to-accept truths. Firstly, I am on the borderline of prediabetes based on my blood sugar levels.

That is the bad news - the good news is that I can do something about this. If I fast long enough my blood sugar comes down to a perfectly good level. If I snack throughout the day it stays high. Well, that is not exactly news but it is good to have the "scientific" evidence to confirm what I already suspected.

So now I have another reason not to eat during the day - to keep my blood sugar within the healthy fasted range. I am also becoming more and more sensitive to what I eat and how it makes me feel. If I eat junk I feel junk, while if I eat healthy I feel healthy. This is all part of the journey. It becomes less and less desirable for me to eat bad quality food. Put another way, more and more, I am rewarded for eating healthy food intermittently; ideally, once a day.

So I have the knowledge and the understanding of how OMAD works it is up to me to modify my behaviour to comply with the eating guidelines in order to reap the rewards.

What level are your blood-sugars reaching about two hours after a meal?
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    What is your fasted in the morning blood sugar levels? I think is the most important. It should be up right after eating. Have mandatory watching of Joes videos as part of class!:)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    OK, so I got food "ambushed" again at work again yesterday. The usual scenario - someone's birthday or someone leaving or some other reason. The feast food is prepared, brought in and laid out on a table for everyone to share. It is delicious and spectacular. I am invited - or just TOLD to participate and once again I comply, at first dutifully, then enthusiastically until I have over-indulged. We do this at morning tea then again for lunch. Others bring in food for me to take home. I give some away and throw the rest in the bin after the students have gone home.

Then I go home and decide to eat my own food all over again because I like my own food and don't feel right without it. So I put on just over 1 kg in a day and feel "blaaagh" the next day. It will take me a few days to get back to feeling "normal" again. Meanwhile I am feeling out of sorts.

I am going to put a stop to this. I am not going to eat this food that looks delicious and appears healthy but it is a trojan horse for all kinds of other unhealthy foods and unnecessary indulgences. I had three large cooked meals yesterday and still had a little snack before I went to bed.

No more! :|

Joe talks about being able to have a splurge day every 10 days. Maybe you can let that be your free day and move onward to the OMAD?

Also since your students like to gift you with food, you could divide out any dinner type meals ( ex. Meat and rice or starch) and portion them into zip lock freezer bags. Then you have a nice already cooked base for a weekend dinner, for example. Just add your veggies or whatever to round it out. I love it when a friend occasionally cooks for me.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    There are two aspects to the work lunch it seems, one is the temptation that it is and the other is are we being rude. I've found that if I can get over the temptation, that if I say I'm good and skip it, they are all ok since they know what I'm doing. Could be different in different places. For me the temptation is the hardest part.

The temptation lessens over time. Have you watched Joe's time line video so you know what to expect? At a certain point in the journey you will be able to socialize around food without the draw to eat.
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Hi there, me again. Hope you all had a great weekend.

Thanks for all your comments and helpful suggestions. I am stlll digesting things literally and figuratively. There is so much to take on so much information, opinion, advice.

So many of my friends, now sixty plus years of age are in poor health. I feel for them but feel that that I do not have a mandate to speak to them too much until I have got myself where I want to be.

My weight has been creeping back up however I am encouraged by the fact that my blood sugar levels go down when I fast during the day. I want to collect more data before discussing too much. I have thrown out ice cream and bread after it spiked my blood sugar.

I keep going back to the basics of LCHF and IF moving towards OMAD three days per week . I would like to do more days OMAD, maybe four of five eventually.

The food pusher at work is leaving next week so we will all be glad to eat simply or in my case, to fast with no meals during working days. I am learning to throw out food regularly both at work and at home. I have gotten over my rule that says you can't throw food away, clearly you can!
  • DebSozo
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Hi there, me again. Hope you all had a great weekend.

Thanks for all your comments and helpful suggestions. I am stlll digesting things literally and figuratively. There is so much to take on so much information, opinion, advice.

So many of my friends, now sixty plus years of age are in poor health. I feel for them but feel that that I do not have a mandate to speak to them too much until I have got myself where I want to be.

My weight has been creeping back up however I am encouraged by the fact that my blood sugar levels go down when I fast during the day. I want to collect more data before discussing too much. I have thrown out ice cream and bread after it spiked my blood sugar.

I keep going back to the basics of LCHF and IF moving towards OMAD three days per week . I would like to do more days OMAD, maybe four of five eventually.

The food pusher at work is leaving next week so we will all be glad to eat simply or in my case, to fast with no meals during working days. I am learning to throw out food regularly both at work and at home. I have gotten over my rule that says you can't throw food away, clearly you can!

It seems like you have a plan for easing into OMAD, and not having the food pusher around will make the process easier.

I start officially tomorrow. I didn't want to start on the weekend because the worst days are the first days. My hubby and youngest son are home from work and school on weekends. I didn't want to be suffering in front of them.

I also do better on LCHF in general. But I saw a video from someone other than Joe stating that we do need carbs/starches on OMAD? I'm just starting so I'm on a learning curve. --thinking that I might do a typical meat, starch, and vegetable dinner for my OMAD.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter in terms of meal composition, but ideal (if I had to choose) would be 1/4 flesh food with 1/2 starch, and the rest veggies and fruits. But of course, this will vary from individual to individual. And this wouldn't apply to someone needing to mass up. Half protein would be better in such situations. But again, not to worry. Eat how you are instinctively driven and you'll feel better.
  • Abm4n
    Options
    AAArgh! Another big open buffet at work again and my fasting plans are in disarray again! I started out so well and then this ...again. Never mind, the big celebration was for the departure of the two biggest food pushers so now we will be able to get on with our own way of eating (or in my case, not eating) unhindered.

It usually takes me a few days to recover usually a week to get back to where I was after a lunchtime food binge. I am no good with portion control and find it impossible to skip dinner after a lunchtime open buffet feast. Open buffets are the worst kind of food for me since they press all the wrong buttons for me. What works best for me is simplicity and limited range of foods. The greater the variety, the more I eat. That's just how it is with me especially when there is a lot of novelty in the food - things that I haven't tried before or foods that are special "treats".
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    Hopefully it will get better after your coworkers leave. It's terribly hard to say no to delicious food. You are tried more than the average person. I don't know how I would do if it were me. All I can say is do the best you can my friend.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    We had the work Thanksgiving day lunch today (early). I ate to be social (we only do things like that a few times/year). I enjoyed it but that wouldn't be good if it was frequent. Good luck. Just say no! Easier said than done I know!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    AAArgh! Another big open buffet at work again and my fasting plans are in disarray again! I started out so well and then this ...again. Never mind, the big celebration was for the departure of the two biggest food pushers so now we will be able to get on with our own way of eating (or in my case, not eating) unhindered.

It usually takes me a few days to recover usually a week to get back to where I was after a lunchtime food binge. I am no good with portion control and find it impossible to skip dinner after a lunchtime open buffet feast. Open buffets are the worst kind of food for me since they press all the wrong buttons for me. What works best for me is simplicity and limited range of foods. The greater the variety, the more I eat. That's just how it is with me especially when there is a lot of novelty in the food - things that I haven't tried before or foods that are special "treats".
    I totally understand this. Buffets are difficult for me also because I want to try new foods. I end up taking a little spoon of "this and that and the the other thing". If it is a buffet where I've tasted the food before I can usually be more selective. I try to scan over a buffet first and think out carefully which items are top priority for me. Then I can serve myself proper portions.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Wow it must be tough for you. Think of us when you're eating and try to resist!
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Thanks guys for being so supportive and understanding. I realise that food is such an integral part of identity and culture. Making changes can be hard but it is certainly possible to make adjustments.

• Abm4n
    Options
    This is where I was exactly one year ago when I started this blog:

Starting weight 200 lbs
    Current Weight 180 lbs
    Target Weight 175 lbs

Well, I am almost exactly the same today! I lost some weight and got below 175 lbs and then have gradually put it back on so that I am now just under 180 lbs again. My target weight is still about 5 lbs from where I am today!

I am determined to get back down to 175 lbs before Christmas when I go on holiday and will most likely eat a lot of food on holiday in Singapore.