One Day at a Time, One Meal a Day (ODAT-OMAD)

Options

Replies

• Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It has been so hot here! We are having the hottest weather since records have been kept. Many days over 38 C or 100 degrees F. I even missed tennis today because it was too hot to play. I can't recall that before. My weight is not good I have been eating three desserts every day for weeks and now it is hard for me to stop eating. I am not exercising because it is too hot.

Tomorrow I will start again back to OMAD and proper ketogenic diet. I took a few photos to motivate me (negatively). Oh well I know what needs to be done.
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    "Honest" photos of me are usually shockingly negative motivation ;)
  • Abm4n
    Options
    I think that there IS a place for negative motivation, at least for some people some of the time. I feel more motivated now after taking those photos.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Good idea. I should take some as well!
  • leveejohn
    Options
    Yes, it does indeed have its place.
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Thanks for the comment @leveejohn. I have been aiming to control my appetite and to encourage myself to exercise a bit more. It is still a bit of a struggle but I have won the past few days and have eaten OMAD for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

I wrote down a little flow diagram like this:

increased appetite -> excess food intake -> higher blood sugar -> higher insulin -> increased fat storage -> increased weight -> increased appetite. So the optimum point of intervention for me is "at source" which I consider to be excessive appetite, specifically for sweet, sugar deserts. AND of course when food shopping. Stop buying desserts! Kinda obvious. IMV too much consumption of sugary desserts leads to increased appetite in general.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    leveejohn wrote: »
    Yes, it does indeed have its place.

I took some shirtless before pics to remind me of where I came from. Will never post those!
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Haha me too!
  • Abm4n
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Today I woke up and didn't feel hungry at all. I seem to be getting my appetite under control, which is what I am aiming for.

So the three things for me to control are 1) when 2) what and 3) how much I eat.

It's hard to control all three so I like to focus on 1) when I eat and also 2) what I eat. If I can limit meals to once a day I am able to give myself some freedom in terms of what and how much I eat.

My biggest struggle is with portion control. I spent pretty much my entire childhood in boarding schools and orphanages that never provided enough food for growing boys. That's why 1 meal a day works best for me. I can "let myself go" in terms of eating provided I don't do it more than once a day. This way I literally get to "eat like a king" every time I eat!
  • leveejohn
    Options
    Abm4n wrote: »
    My biggest struggle is with portion control. I spent pretty much my entire childhood in boarding schools and orphanages that never provided enough food for growing boys. That's why 1 meal a day works best for me. I can "let myself go" in terms of eating provided I don't do it more than once a day. This way I literally get to "eat like a king" every time I eat!

Wow, this is really something. You deserve to let yourself go. Once a day. ;)
  • blambo61
    Options
    I developed bad habits young in that I was always trying to gain weight. I participated in sports and was always eating protein shakes and stuffing myself as much as I could to gain weight. I couldn't gain back then, seems like I can look at food and gain now! OMAD works for me too since I get to eat tell full! I maybe should try to teach myself to not eat so much though.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Portion control is my problem too but it's getting better :)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    leveejohn wrote: »
    "Honest" photos of me are usually shockingly negative motivation ;)

Same. I don't like to see photos of what I don't want to be. I am motivated by a positive visual image of how I will look after losing weight.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Abm4n wrote: »
    I think that there IS a place for negative motivation, at least for some people some of the time. I feel more motivated now after taking those photos.

I suppose it is good for a reality check and getting honest with where you currently stand, right?
  • Abm4n
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Where I'm at right now.

I have put on six kilos or 13 lbs (~ 1 stone) over the past six months or so. These extra kilos are proving hard to lose. Prior to that my weight was steady at my target weight (BMI < 25 i.e. "healthy" ) for a period of six months. It's not even so much where I am right now that bothers me so much as the alarming and ever-increasing trend upwards over six or eight months that now encourages me to re-apply the principles of 1 meal a day. This way of eating works and has many other benefits besides weight control.

e19mkfvwl3zo.jpg
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing a total day of fasting? I don't eat on Fridays and it seems to help a lot.
  • Abm4n
    Options
    Temptations and pitfalls:

At2qtwazod0mz.jpg

All-you-can-eat lunch buffets, bad habits of daytime and ever worse, night time grazing.

These are to be avoided in lieu of a simple, balanced meal once a day. For example:

nkxwjds124ea.jpg
  • Abm4n
    Options
    I am interested in a total day of fasting - that would be a 36hr fast right? Eating breakfast the next day, for example fasting Friday and having breakfast on Saturday morning. Well, that would be a good goal. I could do it today! ? Well, it sounds like a good idea. Just a matter of doing it.
  • Abm4n
    Options
    @brenda. Thanks for that idea. I am always looking for new ideas and tweaks so would welcome any further comments.
  • blambo61
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Last year I went down to 210 then up to 220 then down to 205 then up to 215 and now back down to 208. Kind of stinks having to lose the same 10-lbs 3-times! I gained the weight when I went to a 16:8 and wasn't exercising and also had too many splurge days. When I went back to 20:4, I lost each time.

What is nice is having a tool I can go to to get back on track. I'm only 3-lbs off of my all-time low of 205 after 1 yr and 5-mos of trying to lose weight! Just don't let it get much more or it could be discouraging to you. I imagine when I hit goal weight that I will fluctuate within a 10-lb range and that will be fine by me. I think that is what Joe does too. You were only a couple lbs from your goal weight I think so you can get back there quick I bet.

Troubleshoot and see what you need to do.