Bob Lamb - OMAD 9/6/2015

Options

Replies

• SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hey Bob:

I'm so happy you're motivated again. Looks like you have a reasonable plan to follow. Filling up with a shake and yogurt should help keep you in control.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a sweet after a meal. I enjoy berries and full fat whipped cream...sometimes I add a tablespoon of ice cream if I have it on hand. When I want something sweet after a meal sometimes just a small taste is all it takes. As you say, this is a lifestyle and you have to work it for you. I think you have a good handle on it and will do just fine.

1oahhhkgr2j6.jpg
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Thanks Linda, I've done the cream and berries in the past also or cottage cheese and fruit. Better than ice-cream for weight I think.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    My mom used to give us a scoop of cottage cheese on a bed of lettuce with 1/2 canned peach slice for dessert once in a while when we were kids.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    edited November 2016
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    My mom used to give us a scoop of cottage cheese on a bed of lettuce with 1/2 canned peach slice for dessert once in a while when we were kids.

I never liked yogurt or cottage cheese but my mother ate cottage cheese with peaches like you did.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    How are you doing? Bob, you contribute so much to the OMAD threads. I enjoy your encouragement, helpfulness, and thoughtfulness. You are a ray of sunshine!
  • DebSozo
    Options

I never liked yogurt or cottage cheese but my mother ate cottage cheese with peaches like you did.

She gave us the canned DelMonte fruit cocktail on it too. It's interesting that I'm thinking about childhood meals.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Thanks Linda, I've done the cream and berries in the past also or cottage cheese and fruit. Better than ice-cream for weight I think.

I love fresh blueberries and cream.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Had some rasberries and cream last night, yum! Well this week will be interesting for not trying to gain weight. I fasted yesterday and today. I may go hunting in the morning and if I do I will eat since I will be hiking a lot. Thanksgiving day I will be eating. After that I will get back on the wagon.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sounds like fun Bob. Do your thing and get right back on plan. You've got this
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options

I love fresh blueberries and cream.

Eat as much as your heart desires at dinner. This satisfies my sweet tooth.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Sounds like fun Bob. Do your thing and get right back on plan. You've got this

Thanks!
  • blambo61
    Options
    Speaking about weighing, I fasted most all last week and didn't see a loss (was 215 week before that), but I think it was obscured due to eating on wed at a lunch office party. Yesterday I weighed myself and was 217! WTH! I fasted about a week and a half and gained two lbs? Well this morning I was 213! So it just goes to show that weight can fluctuate greatly and we retain water etc (I ate a bunch of salty popcorn night before 217 weight). Lesson learned is that any days measurement can be way off and if we stick to the diet we will lose the weight whether we measure or not (the measuring isn't what causes the weight loss right!). So we just need to stick with it and trust it's working and then take a peak on the scale once in awhile as a confirmation.

Lost 2-lbs since last week although I think I probably lost part of that last week and didn't see it until now.
  • blambo61
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Well about a three lb gain from Wed Night to this morning! About the same as a normal splurge day even though I ate a lot more than a normal splurge day. I will try to be good rest of weekend. I really didn't eat nearly as much as I used to be able to. I can't believe the amounts I could eat as a teenager or in my 20's.

In high school, me and my little brother would go into elaborate preps for thanksgiving so that we could eat the most possible. We would drink tons of water the night before to stretch our stomachs, then we would get up and go run about 5-miles thanksgiving morning, then fast tell dinner, then have a contest to see who could eat the most during Thanksgiving dinner! We were both very skinny then and were often trying to gain weight. Those were the days when I couldn't gain weight not matter how much I ate! My how things (my metabolism) has changed!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    My, how all of our metabolisms have changed. Keep up the good fight..you'll get there.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Well back on the diet today. I have some work to do. I added another 3 so about 6-lbs heavier than wed! I wasn't as good as some of you.

I went hunting wed morning and hiked for about 5-hours. Got a shot at a doe (archery) but misjudged the distance and shot low:(. Probably got dehydrated and with that and all the food I ate, guess what, I had a bad gout attack (Saturday to today so far) in my left knee. I can barely walk at times and need a crutch.

Being fat causes gout, losing weight including fasting causes gout (keytones inhibit uric acid excretion from what I've just read), fructose increases uric acid (cause of gout when uric acid crystals form and the immune system attacks them), insulin inhibits uric acid excretion, too much protein and alcohol cause production of uric acid. Gout medicine even can cause gout if it uncovers crystals that have been previously coated and exposes them to the immune system! This is not a fun thing to deal with!

I've had some problems with this last couple of months and I think most important is to keep hydrated. Every time I've had problems, I was dehydrated. I may start skipping most all sugars too. I've got to get this under control. Yes, talked to my doctor also who is a neighbor yesterday about it all. I need to be able to be active and this is killing me!

• 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    OMADing1 wrote: »
    We all have to adjust to what works. Also, it needs to be sustainable so we can get there in the long run.

I had a real hungry day today again and ate some coconut oil and that stuff really works on me. I think I ate less than 100 cals of the stuff which is better than me going off and putting a lot of food down. I'm still hungry after eating it but it gets rid of any gnawing feeling. I had kind of forgotten about that go-back. So it's a lot of water for me and some coconut oil if needed tell dinner. I'll start posting some results starting next week.

Thanks Bob for the coconut oil info. I love to cook with coconut oil and it's loaded with good fats too! Water is my absolute best friend, but the weird thing about water is, I have to make myself drink it...it's not natural for me to drink at all--but it fills me up super big time. Also, the herbal teas I'm drinking is miraculous for staving off hunger. My standards are: all organic and high quality mostly loose leaf milky oolong, turmeric/ginger, and various slimming/detox zero cal and zero sugar teas.

Can you please share the teas you drink? I mean brand and whatnot. They sound amazing.
  • DebSozo
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Bob, do you take the Bragg's Organic Apple Cider? Supposedly it helps dissolve uric acid crystals? ETA link:
    https://goutandyou.com/gout-and-apple-cider-vinegar/
  • blambo61
    Options
    I do take Braggs apple cider vinegar but probably not enough (I forget). I really detest vinegar also! My wife loves the stuff. I had some last night and my knee is doing better today. I think mostly due to all the water I drank yesterday. I think hydration is the most important thing but I have had symptoms go away after a few hours after drinking the vinegar also. I will try to remember to do the vinegar before I eat each night. I may have to go vegetarian and also cut out sugars and take the meds and stay hydrated to really control this. I don't drink so that isn't a problem. It's hereditary and my dad and brother had problems with this also.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    I notice my joints and feet ache when I get dehydrated also. I need to work on adding more water each day.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    I do take Braggs apple cider vinegar but probably not enough (I forget). I really detest vinegar also! My wife loves the stuff. I had some last night and my knee is doing better today. I think mostly due to all the water I drank yesterday. I think hydration is the most important thing but I have had symptoms go away after a few hours after drinking the vinegar also. I will try to remember to do the vinegar before I eat each night. I may have to go vegetarian and also cut out sugars and take the meds and stay hydrated to really control this. I don't drink so that isn't a problem. It's hereditary and my dad and brother had problems with this also.

Sorry you're having problems with gout again. It must be annoying for you. My ex-husband had gout and it could be debilitating at times for him. I'm like you and don't like vinegar at all but I know it's good for you and may be able to help the gout. Take care...