Bob Lamb - OMAD 9/6/2015

Options

Replies

• SavedByGrace26356
    SavedByGrace26356 Posts: 544 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    That is great Bob. I think you may have found the cure. I'm giving up sugar and will be eating fruit or whatever sugar is in my evening meals. Wonderful loss!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I can't believe how much weight has dropped off of me this last week. This morning I'm down 3-lbs since last Sat. I've been doing about an 18-20 hour fast each day and then eat ad libitum for the rest of the evening. And I take ACV each evening. I usually lose 1-lb a week doing that.

Only change I've made is that I totally cut out all sugar and didn't have a cheat day last Saturday. I have done a couple of little walks is all (which is more than I was doing cause I had gout before). I have not cut calories back and have actually eaten a lot of cheese as my go-to splurge over the holidays since I'm not doing the sugar (ate two plates of beef strogonoff over rice, salad, and carrots and about 15 jalapeno, cream cheese, bacon poppers last night). Crazy! I will continue the experiment and see if it keeps going this way.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have a question about ACV. Is it bad to just take a tablespoon by itself?
  • crunchy_bob
    crunchy_bob Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    1MADGIRL wrote: »

Not bad for you but being so acidic it won't be pleasant, that's why most people cut it with something else, it will irritate your throat and can make some people queasy if taken straight.
  • blambo61
    edited December 2016
    Options

For me, I might die of convulsions (I don't like it very much)! I wouldn't do it that way because I think you may burn your throat and it would be harsh on the teeth. You can mix it with water to dilute it and if needed, chase with water. Rinse with water after for sure to preserve your teeth.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options

I mix it with juice.
  • blambo61
    Options
    I mix with juice also but will use just water if there is no juice around.
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options

It's not good for your teeth. You can Google it. It ruins the enamel over time.
  • Anneli_F
    Anneli_F Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I mix 2 tbl spoons with a full glass of water, that makes it drinkable to me, and have that with my food.
    It's not good for your teeth. You can Google it. It ruins the enamel over time.

It's good to wait an hour to brush ones teeth after having something acidic I read, letting the saliva flush the ACV away first or eat something with a high ph to even it out.

food_ph_chart-600x643.jpg

• blambo61
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Weekly Update:

Weight Gain/Loss:
    -3lb, SW 252, CW 212, 40lbs-lighter

Diet:
    Sat - Fri (18-21 hour fast each day)
    Still doing salads with olive oil, cheese and eggs most every day. Do ACV and cherry juice daily. Almost completely cut out refined sugar and only had some pie this week (no candy). Ate ad libitum when I ate. Ate a lot of cheese as my go-to splurge item. Ate some of the smoked meats that you eat with cheeses and crackers.

Exercise:
    Sun - built a snow igloo in back yard and shoveled driveway (had about 10-in of snow or a little more). About 3-hrs of work.
    Tues - Walked 2.8 miles
    Fri - Walked 4.2 Miles

Was very happy to be able to walk and my knee got better every day up to Friday. I think no-sugar helped.

Other comments:
    I wasn't even tempted much by candy and we had tons of it around (I associate it with gout). We had relatives here for the holidays and it was a glutfest for most. I was good and didn't eat tell 4:00 p.m. at the earliest except Christmas day where I had a couple of pieces of elk jerky (stocking stuffer). My knee got better and better and was able to do some good walks. I cannot believe how much weight I lost. I ate a lot of food but still lost. Maybe the cheese I ate satiated me and I didn't eat as much as I thought. Maybe not eating sugar helped a lot. Maybe not having a cheat day last Saturday helped. Maybe it was me shoveling snow for 3hours on Sunday. Maybe some of it was left over from the previous week where I was even and didn't have a loss. Maybe it was something else? Anyways, I will take it. I think this weeks results were absolutely amazing (I usually lose 1-lb/week). I will keep experimenting with the no refined sugar and eating cheese and see what happens.

Now the down side, this morning my gout is back. Two nights ago I ate a lot of jalapeno poppers (jalapenos, cream cheese, bacon, and shrimp - so good!). That was on top of a couple of servings of elk stroganoff. Last night I ate little ceasers pizza and some more poppers. I'm sure the pizza sauce had sugar in it. Well this morning I've got bad gout back in my knee. Those things I ate and maybe dehydration (hard for me to remember to drink at home) have brought it back. Very discouraging. I'm thinking about going no-sugar and mostly vegetarian. I need to get over this and be able to walk and run and not be limping and hurting all the time. I'm taking my meds but maybe I need more. I will talk to the Doc.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Sugar is an inflammatory. Good for you on staying away from it!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    Great loss!! I'm so sorry your gout is back. It probably was the sugar in the pizza sauce. Good idea to talk to Doc. Happy New Year Bob!!
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Bob you are doing so good with OMAD results.
  • blambo61
    edited January 2017
    Options
    2016 Summary:
    Started the Year at about 220 after starting OMAD in Sept 2015 at 252. Got down to 210 by March, went on some family vacations and got out of OMAD habit, went back up to about 215, got back on the OMAD diet and went down to 205, did some more vacation stuff and hunting trips etc and got out of OMAD habit again (did 16:8 most of the time) and went back up to 218. Got back on OMAD after Thankgiving and am back down to about 212. So I only had a net of about a -8 lbs but I did at least not get big again (and lost a little) for a whole year by doing OMAD part time and 16:8 part time so it was still a success, but not as large as it could of been.

I've only tried to diet once before this about 9 years ago and lost about 30-lbs by skipping lunches and just eating fruit through the day but gout, tearing my ACL playing basketball, and finding that diet very hard kind of derailed me and I went back to bad eating habits and ballooned back up to 256 (started at 240 and went down to 210 and then up to 256)! OMAD and IF in general has given me tools to be able to lose and maintain which I'm grateful for. I think I can control my weight with fasting of some sort or the other for the rest of my life and eventually get where I want to be (probably about 180-190 lbs [I would love to be 7-12% body fat but could settle for 12-16%]).

This year's goal is to make it to at least 190 which is about -22lbs from now! Ideally, I would like to get to 180 and then hover between that and 190. That is totally realistic and feasible! Go 2017! Good luck everyone!
  • DebSozo
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You are already close! Since you don't have a lot to lose (as you know) be patient and give yourself time to form a lower set point so you can maintain under 200. Great goals for 2017!
  • blambo61
    Options
    Thanks, I will just plug along. I hope I can continue running. It makes a big difference to me. If nothing else, running and lifting let me eat another 500 cals a day or so and is fun for me. Don't try running anyone if you are still very heavy due to injury risks (do biking, walking, or swimming, or rowing or something like that if your going to do anything and even don't do much walking if really heavy since that is an injury risk also).
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    I walk slowly and do stretching.
  • blambo61
    Options

That sounds real good. We all have limits and I'm finding as I'm getting older I really have to be careful of injuries. Good luck!
  • DebSozo
    Options

That is terrific!
  • SavedByGrace26356
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »

That sounds real good. We all have limits and I'm finding as I'm getting older I really have to be careful of injuries. Good luck!

I know what you mean. I was lifting some boxes and my back went out. I'm at work right now with a tube of Ben-Gay and a heating pad on my back. Our minds think we can do all the things we used to do but our bodies have a different opinion of that. Take care!!