ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    WEEK 32 Report

Date: 4/13/16

Start Weight/Height/Age/Start Date:
    252 / 6'1" / 54 / 06 Sept 2015

Weekly Weight Loss:
    4, 3, 3, 1, 3, (1), 5, 3, 2, 2, 1, (2), 4, 1, 2, (2), 0, 3, 1, 2, 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1, (1), 0, 1

Total Weight Loss:
    41-lbs / 32-wks

Current Weight:

Weeks Comments:
    Lost 1 lb for the week. Wed only ran 1-mile of 5k was a little sick and tried it but decided not to finish. Ran 1st mile, down-hill in 7:38 and walked back. Had a headache that day and ate so could take an advil. Sat ran a little and worked in the yard for a few hours. Think I was about 4/7 days on the diet. Been a very slow month for me losing weight but I've maintained well and have improved fitness. Will keep at it!

You are inspiring :). Thanks :)
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    ...and the good news just keeps pouring in for Bob!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Well All,

Hate to disappoint after the praise but last week was a little rough. Was out of town for work all week and didn't do the diet (ate lunches and dinner with others). Ended up gaining a few lbs. By Monday of this week had lost it all again so didn't lose but didn't gain either. I also ended up injuring myself this Monday. I went for a run and only made it a few minutes and my right calf seized up on me. I think I hurt it the Friday before doing fast strides after a 30-min run. That was dumb! I will probably miss a week or so of running and then hope to get back into it. My faster stuff should just be easy pace work a little faster than 5k pace and not fast stuff, especially after running some distance.
  • blambo61
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Been reading Jason Fung's book, "The Obesity Code". Interesting discussion on how insulin's role in weight gain and I found the part on insulin resistance especially interesting. I buy what he has to say (don't think some of his logical buildup was that sound but most was IMO) but I also think cals do matter where it appears that he downplays it a lot.

He basically said:
    1. lower insulin levels by not being stressed (stress causes increased cortisol which increases insulin)
    2. lower insulin by working on being more insulin sensitive by fasting
    3. lower insulin by not eating refined carbs, especially sugars

That is what I got out of it.
    Was interesting to learn that some foods increase insulin (proteins) while not significantly increasing blood glucose levels.

He states that the bodies weight set point is nudged up by high insulin levels and can be lowered by having periods of low insulin.

Made me want to change my grazing for my 3 hour window to not include any sugary stuff and maybe not graze at all and have a shorter eating window although a 21 hour fast is probably about as good as a 23 hour fast for helping with the insulin sensitivity. It would probably only help with reduced cals.
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I'm reading it also, Bob. I like (1) and (2) of your summary above...I confess I'm resistant to (3)....but I certainly respect your determination, if you decide to cut down the sugary stuff.

• arguablysamson
    Options
    Nice book summation!
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    ...and I know what it's like to have a calve seize up. I hate it when that happens.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Well,

I haven't been on here for a long time. Here is an update.
    My calf is still giving me problems which is a real bummer. I've gone a couple of weeks of doing nothing on it to let it heal. It seems to be getting better and I've walked slowly on the level for an hour ok. Today, I tried walking up an incline and I could only go for about 4 minutes and it started hurting so it still isn't right. I'm reduced to upper body weight lifting only. this has been going on for over 4 weeks now.

I think I've put on about 5-6 lbs in the last 6-7 weeks (about half is food weight and the other half probably is real weight gain). I haven't been very diligent doing the diet the last two weeks and haven't done it much at all and was only about 50% compliant for a few weeks before that. I had a week of family vacation, a week of travel for work and eating lunches and dinners with people. Then I got hurt and lazy and then the last 10 days I've been out of it due to my mother passing away and dealing with that. Didn't feel like dieting much with that going on and was bombarded with all sorts of sympathy foods people brought over and me being home for about 9 days while I planned her funeral and took care of that and traveled to another state to inter her. That was a real bummer and I miss her (she lived with me for the last 6-years). She was almost 88. She was fine a week from last Monday, just feeling a little sick. By evening she was having serious issues and we called the ambulance. She lost conciousness that night at about midnight and never really regained it and was gone by early Wed morning. She had a bad case of pneumonia and it took her very quick. She was driving the day she went into the hospital and walked regularly taking 30-minute walks. I'm glad she went quick though. Her blood oxygen level went so low I don't think she would have recovered well if she would have recovered. She is with my dad now and I believe she is in a better place.

Now I have to get back at it. I think only gaining about 5-6 lbs through all that wasn't too bad and I think three days on the diet and I will probably only be a couple of lbs above my low so even doing this part time has been fairly successful for maintenance.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Take care.

• arguablysamson
    Options
    So sorry to hear, man. It happens. Glad she is no longer suffering. With age, the body just can't keep functional through much trauma. A clean break is better.

You'll reclaim your rhythm and be going good again soon.
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear it, Bob. I've hit a rough patch myself, but nothing like what you have been through. I'm ready to recommit also. Sending good thoughts your way!
  • blambo61
    Options
    Trying a new twist, for desert, instead of an occasional bowl of ice cream, I'm having a bowl of no-sugar added cottage cheese and fruit or berries and cream. Still has some cals but not the sugary type.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Was able to walk for an hour at a decent pace today! Yea. Will give it one more week of walking and then will ease back into running.
  • blambo61
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hello all!

I haven't posted for awhile so here goes. I have gotten over my leg injury and am back walking an hour 3xweek with a 20 min jog included. I'm trying to turn the whole thing into a run gradually.

My weight has stayed the same since about the beginning of April at about 215 (sw was 252). I haven't been doing OMAD much and am doing more of a maintenance routine of about a 16:8 type of fast. Although I haven't lost more weight, I've been able to maintain well even though I went a long time without exercise due to hurt leg. I'm hoping with the leg better and jogging and the maint fast routine that I will start losing again. If that doesn't work, then I will need to do some longer fasts.

Had a daughter get married last week and reception was in my yard so I've been really busy getting ready for that. I have another daughter getting married at the end of July so another round of being really busy.

Take care all
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Hello all!

I haven't posted for awhile so here goes. I have gotten over my leg injury and am back walking an hour 3xweek with a 20 min jog included. I'm trying to turn the whole thing into a run gradually.

My weight has stayed the same since about the beginning of April at about 215 (sw was 252). I haven't been doing OMAD much and am doing more of a maintenance routine of about a 16:8 type of fast. Although I haven't lost more weight, I've been able to maintain well even though I went a long time without exercise due to hurt leg. I'm hoping with the leg better and jogging and the maint fast routine that I will start losing again. If that doesn't work, then I will need to do some longer fasts.

Had a daughter get married last week and reception was in my yard so I've been really busy getting ready for that. I have another daughter getting married at the end of July so another round of being really busy.

Take care all

Always great to read your updates!

It's almost good your weight has stayed the same; you taught yourself you can maintain. And now, when you go to lose again, you will be ready to make progress faster than before.

Congrats on the marriage--and the one to come!
  • blambo61
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I am really happy about being able to maintain. My weight gain started in my mid 30s (im mid 50s now) and went from about 180 to 256 last year. I did get it down several years ago by watching what I ate and skipping lunches (fruit only) but got injured and got crazy hungry with that diet and gained it all back and some in about 6 months. With this diet (omad at the end of the day and exercise), I dropped 42 lbs (252 to 210) and didnt suffer nearly as much as eating breakfasts and dinners and skipping lunch. Even without exercise recently (injury), death of mom, two daughters getting married, and big issues at work, vacation, and work travel, I've been able to maintain on a 16:8 type diet when the omad was too difficult because of all that stuff going on. I'm working out again and am starting back a little with omad and am still doing the 16:8 most days. I think I should start losing again. Key for me is to not start eating for the day, even if I only make it to lunch (super easy if been doing omad) for maintenance and if I want to lose, then I need to do some omad! I think people should try to not get discouraged if having a hard time doing omad and should at least do a minimal fast like 16:8 during those times so wont gain the weight back and then when we get our feet back under us, we can do some more omad! Thanks for all the help, I'm really grateful to have lost a lot of weight and can maintain also!
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Buddy, you are another inspiration that people can and do maintain. That's why I made you a group leader!
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Maintenance is a small victory in itself. Sometimes I think that we need to stabilise our weight for a little while to "lock in" the changes. Great to hear of your progress.
  • blambo61
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Ran an 8:30 min-mile today (1600m) on the track (4500ft elevation). A group gets together every month and runs a handicapped mile where everyone starts so that everyone finishes about the same time. Biggest improvement wins getting to keep a golden spray-painted running shoe (mounted on a wooden trophy stand) for the month. It was my 1st mile time trial in about 8-years. You have to have a least two times to compete for the golden shoe award. Was fun! Need to lose another 20-30 lbs and train more so can run faster. It's really funny being excited about an 8:30 mile though but a year ago I could probably only do 1/4 mile at a 12:00 min-mile pace (maybe a little farther but not faster).
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Excellent. That is a very good speed!
  • blambo61
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Howdy everyone.

Well I haven't been doing OMAD much (have been doing a 16:8 IF) and over the last 4 months my weight crept up from about 211 to 219. Last week I was at scout camp all week and decided I wasn't even going to try the 16:8 (I was over food for the camp and I just didn't want to deal with it). Thought I would gain a lot. Came home and Sun morning was 221! Yikes. A lot of that was food weight since I did eat a lot. I did OMAD Sunday, Monday, and today and and this morning I was 218 and after a bike ride this afternoon I was 215 (dehydrated). I felt really good on the ride and went hard for about 8-9 miles. I'm now up to about 50-min runs 3xweek and riding the bike a little once a week. It has been fun getting back in shape (last year at this time I could barely walk due to gout issues and when not having gout could maybe manage 1/2 mile jog at 12min/mile pace due to being overweight [about 252 lbs] and out of shape). I've kind of gotten off track since I was just in a maintenance mode and was doing workouts before lunch and then would eat a light lunch (hence 16:8 diet). I like to eat though and the weight has been creeping up even with the exercise so I need to do some more OMAD. I plan on exercising at the end of the fast like I used to since that worked well and will allow me to do OMAD. I was working out earlier to avoid the heat of the day but I can handle the heat if I wear a wet hat and a wet t-shirt when I run (not humid here and it provides evaporative cooling). Going back to the afternoons for working out will make OMAD much easier. I still notice that while on OMAD, my heart gets a rest from digestion and it will be in the low 40s but when I eat it will immediately go to the mid 50's (before exercising). Good luck everyone. I think I should be 217 or 218 in the morning and might be able to get to 216 or 217 by end of the week. I have a daughter getting married this Friday though so that may throw some kinks into the plan.