Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    What was I thinking?!!! Thursday night, my daughter and I made cake pops for her's and my son's class Christmas parties. One broke off the stick so my daughter and I decided to split it.

One tiny 1/2 of a cake pop... the portion I ate was about the size of my thumb... How much damage could it really do, right?

... I am still recovering... I have since had another while cake pop, a handful of donut holes, a cannoli and three Fererro Roches... And I was in ketosis!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Yeah well. Human. Had an unintentional slip while out last night. Didnt go to the room where the holiday treats were, but put away 4 big cookies in a furious flash, when someone brought them out and waved the plate in front of me. Alas. And this was after i had tried to introduce a measured keto whipped cream treat for my coffee this holiday week.
    For the record:
    I ate the whole can of whipped cream in less than 15 minutes. Then later the cookies.
    *Food addict demon is firmly in position at the helm of my momentary lapses ship. Can and will take over and go hog wild in a flash.
    So, not getting on the scale til monday AM. Back on keto plan today. It's not that I can't recover from these crazy binges - i just don't get why I dont moderate myself. I refuse to beat myself up for it - just wish I had more insight about it and could find a strategy to fix it. So far, I remain mystified...
    Sigh.
    (The cookies didnt even taste all that great that they would need to be inhaled so ferociously!)
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This is the 1st year ever that I've done well during the big holiday season. My biggest slip ups so far have been a couple very large steak dinners out that didn't really have a lot by way of carbs in them, but would be in the 1000 - 1200 calorie range for one meal. Fortunately, the rest of those particular days I was on the low side, so on each occasion I only ended up a couple hundred calories over for the day. I think this has a lot to do with two things for me, first, I only started this in the beginning of November, so it is still fresh and secondly, this was the 1st time switching to low carb (I've done it for a handful of months at a time in the past) that I suffered severe withdrawal symptoms as my body was adjusting the 1st couple of weeks that I don't ever want to go through those pains again by screwing up. That is plenty motivation for me.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Yeah well. Human. Had an unintentional slip while out last night. Didnt go to the room where the holiday treats were, but put away 4 big cookies in a furious flash, when someone brought them out and waved the plate in front of me. Alas. And this was after i had tried to introduce a measured keto whipped cream treat for my coffee this holiday week.
    For the record:
    I ate the whole can of whipped cream in less than 15 minutes. Then later the cookies.
    *Food addict demon is firmly in position at the helm of my momentary lapses ship. Can and will take over and go hog wild in a flash.
    So, not getting on the scale til monday AM. Back on keto plan today. It's not that I can't recover from these crazy binges - i just don't get why I dont moderate myself. I refuse to beat myself up for it - just wish I had more insight about it and could find a strategy to fix it. So far, I remain mystified...
    Sigh.
    (The cookies didnt even taste all that great that they would need to be inhaled so ferociously!)

That's me. Like a vacuum cleaner. Or the Cookie Monster on crack. Once I listen to Loki and entertain the thought for half a second...BAM...plate of cookies GONE...and me sniffing around for something else to ravenously cram into my piehole. :tired_face:
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    wtskinner wrote: »
    This is the 1st year ever that I've done well during the big holiday season. My biggest slip ups so far have been a couple very large steak dinners out that didn't really have a lot by way of carbs in them, but would be in the 1000 - 1200 calorie range for one meal. Fortunately, the rest of those particular days I was on the low side, so on each occasion I only ended up a couple hundred calories over for the day. I think this has a lot to do with two things for me, first, I only started this in the beginning of November, so it is still fresh and secondly, this was the 1st time switching to low carb (I've done it for a handful of months at a time in the past) that I suffered severe withdrawal symptoms as my body was adjusting the 1st couple of weeks that I don't ever want to go through those pains again by screwing up. That is plenty motivation for me.
    You are doing fantastic staying the course! I was researching the calories on some of my favorite menu items and was shocked at the calories of some of the steak dinners. I've been tracking calories as well as my macros for a few months now, and it's making a huge difference.
  • elize7
    Options
    Officially struggling with food choices. Last night in an instant i doubled my usual daily carbs. In the middle of the night i woke up and had to ask myself "did i drink alcohol last night?" i hadn't at all, but i felt just like i had. I have never had such a clear cut reaction to carbage, but now that i have I'm hoping it will deter me from other holiday food slips. Going to recommit ti my woe this AM. I am so thankful i found a way of eating that makes me feel energetic and helps me look good- which helps me feel good. Wish me luck and determination for today! (By Saturday morning, the insanity will be over!) (yay!)
  • krisorah
    krisorah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How do you folks my name is Deborah, I have been researching Keto and putting together my support blogs ( Maria mind/body, All day I dream about food, Jimmy Moor) & purchasing various goods from Amazon including books and some Keto foods that are tough to find locally. My plan is to start Jan 1. I have 50 lbs to loose and am very excited for the hopeful success with this lifestyle. Anything that worked well for you when you got started? Meal plans you recommend?
    Thank you!
  • baconslave
    Options
    krisorah wrote: »
    How do you folks my name is Deborah, I have been researching Keto and putting together my support blogs ( Maria mind/body, All day I dream about food, Jimmy Moor) & purchasing various goods from Amazon including books and some Keto foods that are tough to find locally. My plan is to start Jan 1. I have 50 lbs to loose and am very excited for the hopeful success with this lifestyle. Anything that worked well for you when you got started? Meal plans you recommend?
    Thank you!

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf has an excellent overview on what kids of foods to eat.
    And those support blogs you listed and their recipes are great for ideas. And listening to Jimmy's podcasts are educational and illuminating. :+1:

• wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    wtskinner wrote: »
    You are doing fantastic staying the course! I was researching the calories on some of my favorite menu items and was shocked at the calories of some of the steak dinners. I've been tracking calories as well as my macros for a few months now, and it's making a huge difference.

Thanks
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Potluck lunch today at work. Didn't do to bad, except for the piece of carrot cake ( made it so I had to try some) which led to a piece of cheese cake. Now I feel like a water logged tank and I have to go Christmas carolling... Hope I can still breath...

I'll have a better day tomorrow...
  • pwrfl1
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    Yikes! Potluck lunch today at work. Didn't do to bad, except for the piece of carrot cake ( made it so I had to try some) which led to a piece of cheese cake. Now I feel like a water logged tank and I have to go Christmas carolling... Hope I can still breath...

I'll have a better day tomorrow...
    . If your walking the neighborhood and singing....I would think that counts as cardio....;)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I had a gargantuan bowl of popcorn on Sunday that I didn't even bother logging, as i have no idea how much was in there, plus I was scared to see the numbers :confounded:
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    ;)
    I had a gargantuan bowl of popcorn on Sunday that I didn't even bother logging, as i have no idea how much was in there, plus I was scared to see the numbers :confounded:
    Yikes! How did you feel today ?
  • LeslieinOC
    LeslieinOC Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I'm new (10 days) to keto and new to this whole group thing. I'd love to be a part of a group to encourage me as I go along and to encourage others. I don't have a lot of weight to lose, 20-25 pounds, so it isn't entirely about the weight for me. I'd been having strange heart palpitations, especially at night. Life recently has been extremely stressful so that's a big part of the problem. Seems carbs (especially sweets) made me react immediately with increased heart rate, my heart feeling like it was jumping out of my chest. I decided to quit carbs and go hflc keto to see if it helped. Hello! No more weird heart beats. Sleeping better. Feeling great with tons of energy. In 10 days only 2 pounds have shown on the scale, but I'm over 50 and from what I gather it is harder for gals like me to lose weight. Anyone out there who can offer suggestions for me? I've done the keto calculator and know to expect slow progress - keeping total calories @1200. Anyway, I'd sure love to hit my target weight at some point in the next year, having a few cheerleaders in my corner will help keep me motivated!
  • elize7
    Options
    Okay, so as the holiday bears down, I feel like I've been focusing on the stress of the job and mood swinging. Predictably my eating is off plan. For tomorrow, I'm focusing on things I love. Painting, sewing, housey projects, making people at work feel good by smiling and laughing and joking around. If it helps my eating - great! If not - well only a couple more days til normal is back!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    LeslieinOC wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I'm new (10 days) to keto and new to this whole group thing. I'd love to be a part of a group to encourage me as I go along and to encourage others. I don't have a lot of weight to lose, 20-25 pounds, so it isn't entirely about the weight for me. I'd been having strange heart palpitations, especially at night. Life recently has been extremely stressful so that's a big part of the problem. Seems carbs (especially sweets) made me react immediately with increased heart rate, my heart feeling like it was jumping out of my chest. I decided to quit carbs and go hflc keto to see if it helped. Hello! No more weird heart beats. Sleeping better. Feeling great with tons of energy. In 10 days only 2 pounds have shown on the scale, but I'm over 50 and from what I gather it is harder for gals like me to lose weight. Anyone out there who can offer suggestions for me? I've done the keto calculator and know to expect slow progress - keeping total calories @1200. Anyway, I'd sure love to hit my target weight at some point in the next year, having a few cheerleaders in my corner will help keep me motivated!

Great to have you LeslieinOC! I'm happy to be in your corner cheering you on!

Christie.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ;)

Fine, and lost .2kg lol
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    ;)

Fine, and lost .2kg lol
    . LOL ! The body never ceases to amaze me !!! Seems like no real set back then, Good for you !!!

• baconslave
    Options
    ;)

Fine, and lost .2kg lol
    . LOL ! The body never ceases to amaze me !!! Seems like no real set back then, Good for you !!!

Yeah, it is weird. Like this weekend, one day I ate about 3 oz of peanuts or more. I KNOW my carbs were for sure over 50g and probably close to 70g. I didn't dip out of ketosis weirdly enough. But if I'd had a slice of bread instead to hit that 70, I would have definitely been up a couple pounds the next day. So I'm guessing popcorn wasn't that bad for her. It is crazy how individual we can be on responding to specific foods.
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    LeslieinOC wrote: »

Great to have you LeslieinOC! I'm happy to be in your corner cheering you on!

Christie.

I'm Jess.
    Welcome. Cheering for ya. :+1:
  • baconslave
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Okay, so as the holiday bears down, I feel like I've been focusing on the stress of the job and mood swinging. Predictably my eating is off plan. For tomorrow, I'm focusing on things I love. Painting, sewing, housey projects, making people at work feel good by smiling and laughing and joking around. If it helps my eating - great! If not - well only a couple more days til normal is back!

Yes. This is how I was able to 99% of the time avoid emotional/stress eating. I distract myself with things I enjoy or will keep me busy and focus on them. Enjoy those happy moments. Immerse yourself in them. :heart: