Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• amberatkinsagain
    amberatkinsagain Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I don't. I do what's called lazy keto. I care more about carbs and less about calories, so I tend to round up. As long as I'm in the ballpark, I'm eating to satiety, and listening to my body, I figure it will all come out in the wash.

@KnitOrMiss thank you! I shouldn't be balking at the slow losses as long as they're in the right direction!

I'm trying to do new recipes and keep it fun. My #1 priority is to prepare. Prepare food, and prepare for the day. I do so much better with structure, I don't know why I left it up to chaos for so long.
  • JodiSW
    JodiSW Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi amberatkinsagain. Welcome! I do weigh my food. I've never learned to listen to my body around satiety (really, really, working on this) so feel like I need to retrain about portions. Also, I have some pretty disordered eating patterns (read: binge eating disorder) and would happily gorge until I was ill on keto compatible foods which in the end, won't work.

I'm working on this mindful eating thing right now and though it's slow going, I think it's helping.
  • amberatkinsagain
    Options
    @JodiSW That's a great way to put it. I really, really don't trust me to 'eat until I'm satisfied.' Not yet at least. I need to know what a portion actually looks like, what 4oz actually is. I went ahead and ordered a scale because I will use it more than once and it will be useful.

I like that, 'mindful eating.' I was not aware of just how many calories or carbohydrates I was consuming until turning to Keto.

I wish you the best of luck! Thanks for responding.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I don't. I do what's called lazy keto. I care more about carbs and less about calories, so I tend to round up. As long as I'm in the ballpark, I'm eating to satiety, and listening to my body, I figure it will all come out in the wash.

@KnitOrMiss thank you! I shouldn't be balking at the slow losses as long as they're in the right direction!

I'm trying to do new recipes and keep it fun. My #1 priority is to prepare. Prepare food, and prepare for the day. I do so much better with structure, I don't know why I left it up to chaos for so long.

@amberatkinsagain I'm not balking, per se. I'm happy that I'm fitting back into the jeans I expanded out of due to holiday (by choice) indiscretions. I'm just frustrated a bit, because January - April last year, I was steadily losing...then I hit a wall. I actually gained weight and lost inches from April - October, then parts of November, December, and January were off plan by choice. I've been back to it, and I still haven't even regained the ground I gained then lost last year.

I do know that my holiday excursion totally screwed up my insulin levels. My last check, blood sugars and such were still great, but insulin went to crap. My hunger isn't leveled out even though I've been back on plan since mid-to-end of January, and I haven't been able to add my intermittent fasting back in. I wish I could find a solution to the "too long fasting with no gallbladder equals acidic strait bile diarrhea dumps," because I love the way I feel when water fasting, but I don't love what happens to my bum if I go too long with it...

I am just kind of at a loss for what to do to regain what I had achieved last year (even just the insulin reductions), because due to Pelvic Organ Prolapse, I'm very limited on what exercises I'm allowed to do, and nearly all HIIT type stuff, which is the best to reduce insulin levels in diabetics (which I'm not), is what I'm not allowed to due so as not to worsen my condition. I feel like all the tools I know are supposed to work are ones I can't use, and I'm just so over trying new things right now. I'm changing up my supplements, and working to reduce inflammation and such. I have a follow up with my PCP (saw my endo mid April) at the end of this month, and I'm hoping to address things such as Leptin and possible lack of T4/T3 conversion due to lack of gallbladder (something to do with low stomach acid, which I've had flare up lately) and leptin resistance can actually trigger Reverse T3 issues, complicating the process, etc.), as well as debating gut biome stuff, of which I know mine is messed up, etc.

Too many possibilities...makes my head spin, so just keeping to basics on my food stuff. Needing to hold my balance while changing other things... Sorry, this turned into a dump. LOL
  • amberatkinsagain
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss not a 'dump' at all! No problem I am happy to hear about different experiences. I really hope you and your doctor can help get you back to where you want to be. Sounds like you have a really good handle on things, though. Even though you are not sure what the specific issue is, you are diving deep and really looking at possibilities.

And sorry, I meant me balking at my small losses, not you balking at them!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Day 6 back on keto. Remaining vigilant, but hoping I'm over the hardest part. Settling on foods and bevs that work for me now, fiddling with numbers, weighing in. Feels like coming home after being away too long. My diet is very repetitive and that's the way I like it. maybe I should remember that when I plan for maintenance and forget adding in all new kinds of things. What's hard about that is that I keep seeing all these food posts and photos that make me drool and I keep telling myself, "I'll have that when I get to maintenance." Might try less variety and keep maintenance more simple. Gonna ponder this while keto beats back this regain.
    Lost 2 pounds since yesterday. YAY!
    Have a great day, pals.

Thanks for your comments, Knit. You're always so spot on!
  • RLC928
    RLC928 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of being more strict. I started back at keto a few weeks ago, but weren't fully committed. I started back at the gym monday with my IF schedule, and I couldn't feel better.

It's strange but after so many months of being off the wagon and having that constant bloated, stuffed feeling, actually feeling hungry feels good now.
  • maggiegbrown
    maggiegbrown Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ok you guys I'm cking in and I think I may be venting a wee bit about me personally. I have had a *kitten* day. I pissed of one of my friends by telling him he offended me last night. He has not called all day. My baby girl was gonna come hang out but after a 3 hour AP exam she was tired and she just want to hang out on mothers day. I am grateful for that. Stuff like that just puts you in a mood. but i'm over it. there good i'm done. Thanks ya'll. So on a happy not I did find some wraps called extreme wellness, anyone have them? I know it says they are 5 net carbs is it true. I hope so cause I had a BLT one today and I felt like I was cheating. this just seem like a really hard week for me. I don't know what to eat and all I want to do sleep and I don't want to drink my water. What is going on with me?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Ok you guys I'm cking in and I think I may be venting a wee bit about me personally. I have had a *kitten* day. I pissed of one of my friends by telling him he offended me last night. He has not called all day. My baby girl was gonna come hang out but after a 3 hour AP exam she was tired and she just want to hang out on mothers day. I am grateful for that. Stuff like that just puts you in a mood. but i'm over it. there good i'm done. Thanks ya'll. So on a happy not I did find some wraps called extreme wellness, anyone have them? I know it says they are 5 net carbs is it true. I hope so cause I had a BLT one today and I felt like I was cheating. this just seem like a really hard week for me. I don't know what to eat and all I want to do sleep and I don't want to drink my water. What is going on with me?

Honestly, @maggiegbrown, most of us go through cycles that include the things you mention above. Stress still exists (recommending meditation, mindfulness, exercise, etc.), and we have to come up with a new plan to cope that doesn't involve food.

As for the wraps, I generally avoid most, as they use weird (to ME) stuff in them, but if you do not have an issue with wheat/gluten, and they do not trigger cravings in you, you may be one of the lucky few who can use them sometimes. Many folks make Oopsie or Revolution Rolls (google for recipes), or even wraps made with pork rinds, psyllium husks/powder, etc. It is just a matter of preference.
  • maggiegbrown
    Options
    Good morning Knit, Thank for the advice I have another question and i'm sorry if I am over powering you guys with questions this is all so new to me. This week I gained back two lbs. could it be because I had taco's one night and then the wrap yesterday. I also have been getting in more calories now so i'm sure if that did it. Help?
  • elize7
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Day 7 back on track. One slip... limited to one meal. I'm over it and moving on. No movement on scale but that would be expected.
    Some food/social challenges coming up this weekend... Going to let the good times overrule the food possibilities. Dancing, music, new pals... thin self. What could be better than that? Ice cream? Breadstuffs? I don't think so. This is my new life, ain't gonna let no carbage take it away from me!
  • carsonheim
    carsonheim Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Maggie, at its core, a Keto diet is no sugar, no grain, based in high (70-80%) fat, moderate protein and very low carb. Wraps, tortillas, taco shells, etc are not consistent with a Ketogenic way of eating. Some of the best advice I got was that if something says "Low Carb!" to stay away. Always look at ingredients. If it has any sort of grain, starch or sugar take a pass.
  • maggiegbrown
    Options
    Carsonheim, your sweet for answering thank you. I get it now!
  • carsonheim
    Options
    Good morning! Wishing all the moms here a very happy Mother's Day.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Good morning Knit, Thank for the advice I have another question and i'm sorry if I am over powering you guys with questions this is all so new to me. This week I gained back two lbs. could it be because I had taco's one night and then the wrap yesterday. I also have been getting in more calories now so i'm sure if that did it. Help?

@maggiegbrown Another thing to keep in mind is that the scale reflects what you ate and did two weeks ago, not two days ago. Aside from water retention, any upscaling is likely due to whatever you did 7-14 days prior. That being said, I've easily had 5+ pounds of water gain overnight from an indiscretion. Also, the body may have burned 4 pounds of fat but retained some water. You will have times you gain and times you lose, and even times you stay the same weight, but the inches, pictures, and clothing fits will change. It's essential to track all of these things.

The body will do what it does. As long as you are compliant to your plan, you have to just keeping the course. The body will hit different stages of adaption, and will hold in nutrients and fluids to repair muscles or damaged systems in the body. As long as you still feel good, trusting the process is CRITICAL. Good luck, and relax.

P.S. Nearly all of us have had some lose 4, gain 2, hold steady for 3, lose 2, etc., type of weeks!
  • carsonheim
    Options
    Howdy friends. I've been faithfully following this WOE for 2.5 months now and I love it. I feel great. Over the past week or so I've been feeling hungrier though, and I'm not psyched about that. As a result I've been eating more, although nothing off plan. I normally try to stay around 1500 calories and <20 net carbs. I've kept my carbs in check, but have been eating around 2200 calories the past several days and it seems like I've gained a couple of pounds.

I do wonder if I'm having a "phantom period" LOL. I'm near the end of that part of my life, but every 6 or 8 months I'll have a cycle.

Anyhow, I know lots of people don't count calories and just eat to hunger. That's what I've done this week and the results are :(

Anyone with a similar experience?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    carsonheim wrote: »
    Howdy friends. I've been faithfully following this WOE for 2.5 months now and I love it. I feel great. Over the past week or so I've been feeling hungrier though, and I'm not psyched about that. As a result I've been eating more, although nothing off plan. I normally try to stay around 1500 calories and <20 net carbs. I've kept my carbs in check, but have been eating around 2200 calories the past several days and it seems like I've gained a couple of pounds.

I do wonder if I'm having a "phantom period" LOL. I'm near the end of that part of my life, but every 6 or 8 months I'll have a cycle.

Anyhow, I know lots of people don't count calories and just eat to hunger. That's what I've done this week and the results are :(

Anyone with a similar experience?

2.5 months is coming up on the 12 week period for adaption. It's likely your body has increased caloric needs to push further into ketogenic adaption. I found this to happen in stages - and it can go on, every 4-6 weeks even after the main thresholds.

days 2-7
    day 14
    days 21 and/or 28
    every two weeks or so until 12 weeks
    every 4-6 weeks for the first 6 months
    etc.

Not necessarily JUST increased hunger, but macro changes, increased sodium needs, magnesium, other supplements, desire to exercise, better sleep, any manner of weird changes are PERFECTLY NORMAL on a KETOGENIC DIET. I know, I know...that covers basically anything. Just listen to your body, and if things seem out of whack or just OFF, and not in a GOOD way, then talk to your doctor, otherwise, grab your favorite fatty beverage of choice, pull up a chair, and sit down and enjoy a good talk session with the rest of us wacky Keto folks, @carsonheim - it appears you have ARRIVED to the best of the good stuff!!

Oh, and remember that calorie deficits should be looked at on a 7-14 day basis (averages) rather than daily. Our hunger changes based on everything from activity level to sleep quality to food reactions to moods to hormone levels to moon cycle to random @$$ wind blowing, or whatever. Our bodies are a complicated machine, and to force a calorie limit that is utterly inflexible makes no sense. A limit that is like the reed, strong enough to bend in the wind and stand straight in the sunshine? Now that makes PERFECT SENSE to me. Some folks need to count calories, some don't. Neither is WRONG...

Good luck as you continue on plan!
  • elize7
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Fighting my way back to my standard keto plan has been sooo hard. Had to up calories to help myself avoid cravings/binges and even though it's helping with that, I saw another 2 1/2 lbs on the scale this morning. Of course. Arrgh. Time to remember the wisdom of patience, to trust in the long term success of this woe: it does work if you work it. And, to remind myself that I'm still below my original goal weight, I still feel and look better than I have in years, I'm still wearing my new cute clothes - so this is no time to beat myself up. (formerly my go-to, favorite passtime) So, that said...still not a happy camper, but I'll gladly take it and maybe tomorrow.....who knows?
  • carsonheim
    Options
    Thanks Knit. Your comments helped me feel less frustrated. I'm up 1.5 lbs from 2 weeks ago... But will keep at it. I need to remember this ISN'T a linear process!!!
  • maggiegbrown
    Options
    What is the WOE?