Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Checking in again:
    Went over keto carb limit at lunch; but still hoping to keep the day's worth of carbs in lchf range, and also get right back to keto for remainder of the day.
    The struggle is real. Very, very real right now. Not exactly sure why.
    I have been steadily losing ground for about 2 months and now pants are tight that were almost falling off before. For about a year, I hardly had any trouble resisting cravings. Now I feel helpless to resist carbage that I don't even like.
    So, as of this morning I'm doing this minute by minute.
    If I want this to work as a lifestyle- and I do- I have to be able to find my way back.
    Next challenge is dinner, then at home movie time with son. May check back in later.

@elize7 - I swear, I do the same thing. Every time I start to make any real progress, my inner addict psyche freaks out and binges or off plan eats happen, as if I'm being controlled by someone else. I try to just roll with it. Considering that my body seems to not be liking keto as much right now, I'm starting to research plans that include non-starchy carbs (1/4 cup with breakfast if desired, up to 1/2 cup at lunch, and 3/4-1 cup at dinner, etc.) and things like THM, just to see if something else will work better. Since I'm fat adapted, I'm hoping to regain some additional flexibility. Have you considered modifying your program to include less restrictions/less binge chances? Just some thoughts from someone else going through it...
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Checking in again:
    Went over keto carb limit at lunch; but still hoping to keep the day's worth of carbs in lchf range, and also get right back to keto for remainder of the day.
    The struggle is real. Very, very real right now. Not exactly sure why.
    I have been steadily losing ground for about 2 months and now pants are tight that were almost falling off before. For about a year, I hardly had any trouble resisting cravings. Now I feel helpless to resist carbage that I don't even like.
    So, as of this morning I'm doing this minute by minute.
    If I want this to work as a lifestyle- and I do- I have to be able to find my way back.
    Next challenge is dinner, then at home movie time with son. May check back in later.

@elize7 - I swear, I do the same thing. Every time I start to make any real progress, my inner addict psyche freaks out and binges or off plan eats happen, as if I'm being controlled by someone else. I try to just roll with it. Considering that my body seems to not be liking keto as much right now, I'm starting to research plans that include non-starchy carbs (1/4 cup with breakfast if desired, up to 1/2 cup at lunch, and 3/4-1 cup at dinner, etc.) and things like THM, just to see if something else will work better. Since I'm fat adapted, I'm hoping to regain some additional flexibility. Have you considered modifying your program to include less restrictions/less binge chances? Just some thoughts from someone else going through it...

I spent years doing the self sabotaging thing and then I read a couple of books that really changed my thinking about it. I still have times I eat off plan but I don't spiral into a binge cycle anymore like I used to - I was the queen of the 'start again on Monday and stuff my face with everything till then as I won't be allowed it after that' (till the next time I do it).
    The first book was 'willpower' by Gillian Riley - it basically talks about accepting that we always have choice in every situation and by accepting with our good choices come good things (increased self-esteem, better health etc..) and with our bad choices come bad things (guilt, extra weight etc..) and talks about trying to change that diet mentality of depravation to one of free choice - this book then led me to another one which was 'the six pillars of self-esteem' by Dr. Nathaniel Brandon which talks about self responsibility / self efficacy / acceptance of self.
    They may / may not help - but they provided a bit of a lightbulb moment for me and I have not self-sabotaged since - I just don't want to feel the way I feel when I do that. It was a pattern that had been a feature of my entire adult life! I now feel deserving of losing weight and good health so I don't stand in my own way! Also I know that I CAN have whatever I want, whenever I want - but I choose not to.

By the way....what is THM?

• KnitOrMiss
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @becwana It is "Thin Healthy Mama." I'm not very far into the book, but my general understanding is that it is a "food freedom" kind of concept, where you switch up between low fat and low carb days (low fat days are higher carb, low carb days are higher fat, etc.). It is supposed to help with diabetes, insulin resistance, and regaining metabolic flexibility. A very good friend of mine who is IR, has PCOS, and such, she has had some HUGE SUCCESS following the plan (when every thing else she tried never worked - or she couldn't stick with the plans). I've currently got the e-book checked out from my library, and I'm enjoying reading it, but I really want to dig deep and see if I agree with the tenets of the plan. They do have their own line of keto-type products for the low carb days, and the book is "for purchase," so I've been trying not to unintentionally market for it or anything. Right now, I have a really really hard time buying into the idea that alternating with low fat high carb days will help me at all, but we're at the "finish reading first, dumb@$$, then decide what you think" stage. LOL

And I'm mostly out of the guilt/weight cycle. Just sometimes, I know I do make choices that aren't the best I could make. I am fully conscious of the choices most of the time now, and accept them, even when I know I could do better... I might look into the books, but I personally believe that Willpower is FINITE and will fail us, repeatedly and often. Determination works much better for me... I have almost zero willpower. I'm willpower-deficient! HA!
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options

And I'm mostly out of the guilt/weight cycle. Just sometimes, I know I do make choices that aren't the best I could make. I am fully conscious of the choices most of the time now, and accept them, even when I know I could do better... I might look into the books, but I personally believe that Willpower is FINITE and will fail us, repeatedly and often. Determination works much better for me... I have almost zero willpower. I'm willpower-deficient! HA! [/quote]

I will have to check if there is a supplement we can buy! ;)
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between determination and willpower?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @fvaisey For me, determination is choice, something we build, a structure to support us when willpower fades. Willpower is essentially the strength we call upon when we're faced with mountains of temptation. It is limited, finite, and guaranteed to fail eventually, unless we build things to support it. To me, willpower is like a tree, that at first, is strong enough to bend against the winds of temptation and such. But as those mild winds turn to gusts, we've either become strong enough to stand against them, or we continue to bend, almost to breaking. Eventually a gust of temptation will blow that snaps our willpower in half. To prevent this from snapping our willpower completely, most of us build a cage, a system, to support our tree. We build a frame, we ties some braces in place, we have no "tempting" foods around us, we keep healthy snacks around, etc. So this way, when the winds and gusts come, we're reinforced against temptation. Battered and weary, we'll resist far longer than unsupported, and we'll have a chance to rebuild our support system.

For me, when faced with a really tempting choice, if I've planned with my determination that I've already eaten a healthy, filling meal, then any choice, juicy bite of temptation will be less tempting, simply by my body not being in the mode of crying out for something more. Sometimes, I leave myself vulnerable to the barrage of marketing and imagery and smells pervading the world around us...and other times I'm shielded. When I'm not shielded with my support determination, I'm far more likely to snap and give in, using every excuse in the book...

That's how I see the two. I imagine that this is very subjective, but that book I read last year, "Change Anything: The New Science of Personal Success" agreed that willpower itself is finite and doomed to failure without being supported. It really helped shift my mind around. Willpower is something I'm born with, and may or may not be able to strengthen as a skill. Determination is solely of my own creation - something I can fine tune and hone and adapt to any situation...
  • Fvaisey
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss You should be a writer.

I think of willpower like a muscle. I'm sure that exercising it gives you more. As I thought about it, I decided that determination is what you need when the willpower runs out. Determination is what gets you up and moving toward your goal again whenever temptation or life smacks you in the face.

Anyway, although we may describe them differently, I do understand the difference now. Thanks!
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss You should be a writer.

I think of willpower like a muscle. I'm sure that exercising it gives you more. As I thought about it, I decided that determination is what you need when the willpower runs out. Determination is what gets you up and moving toward your goal again whenever temptation or life smacks you in the face.

Anyway, although we may describe them differently, I do understand the difference now. Thanks!

@Fvaisey Thank you... I love writing, but haven't found the appropriate venue for others to enjoy it aside from here. LOL

That being said, I agree that willpower is like a muscle, but it's a muscle that must be built up very slowly, is easily injured, does better on a low carb plan ;), and needs to be used regularly to build up strength - just not overtaxed and put out of commission for a while!

Determination is the ME that's inside that won't let me quit, no matter how ridiculously hopeless it all seems! Many times I want to give in, I stumble off plan, but I can't figure out how - but I don't give up completely...

I wrote about a year and a half about about the difference between motivation and determination, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/motivation-versus-determination-699445 , and for me, this idea just expounds about that one...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    RLC928 wrote: »
    Checking in late to the party. I'm currently at the beginning stages of a complete overhaul thanks to the typical holiday screw ups.

I was extremely successful using a combination of keto, intermittent fasting, and lifting. I've been back on the dietary horse for about 2 weeks now, and am starting back up at the gym tonight. I will then put my IF back in.

Quick introduction for anyone that's interested!
    -- My starting weight was 535lbs. I lost my first 50lbs using Weight Watchers. It is a great program and I honestly learned a lot about things like portion control. I didn't really participate in the meetings and things since I didn't fit in with the "typical WW crowd" and it was insanely uncomfortable, so I can't speak on that part of the program. I eventually wanted more control over what I was eating. I didn't like that I could basically eat mcdonalds all day and as long as I was in my "points range" I would be ok. I had no idea what my macros were, etc...

At that point I started just plain old calorie counting. I calculated my BMR and all that and, again, it was successful. I added in cardio and began the C25K program. I have never run a day in my life, but there I was 450+lbs running like a mad man.

Once I got down to around 440, and my first 100lb milestone, I decided to give low carb a shot because I had carb cravings like crazy. It was the one major struggle I was having, so I considered keto and just wiping them out all together. I started keto, eating nothing processed and no artificial sweetener of any kind. I dropped another 20 or so pounds. I added in weight training at the gym and a intermittent fasting schedule. And got down to about 385.

Then I screwed up. "I've lost almost 200 pounds, I can take a day off!" And of course, a day turned into a week which turned into a month, which turned into me just not caring. As embarrassing as it is to say, I ended up back around 470lbs. I gained close to 100lbs back and it was no fault other than my own.

So here I am starting fresh and trying to get back in my groove. I'm back down around 430 from diet alone, and am starting back with exercise this week.

@RLC928 - It is never TOO late to join the party. And I maintain that while you might have screwed up, you didn't fail, you just got in a bad loop, realized you were in a tailspin, kicked out your legs, and stopped that tailspin in it's tracks. Now you're back swinging. I honestly do not know a single person who hasn't had some setbacks along the way. Just remember, sometimes a setback is the exact distance you need for a running start to leap over your previous obstacles. Congrats on your knowledge gained and the different paths you've taken. You know what's possible - and that will strengthen your resolve as you move forward. Welcome.
  • maggiegbrown
    maggiegbrown Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Well I am cking in from the weekend and I feel like such a failure. I was doing so good except for not getting all my calories, but I was staying on keto really well. Then the weekend came and my man brought home for dinner a cooked rotisserie chicken, gravy and stuffing mix and a half gallon of ice cream. I wanna say at the time I did not care, but boy when I was finished eating the guilt was overwhelming. All I wanted to do is go make myself throw up. It ruined my whole weekend. Does this happen to others and how do you deal with it.
  • Fvaisey
    Options
    Well I am cking in from the weekend and I feel like such a failure. I was doing so good except for not getting all my calories, but I was staying on keto really well. Then the weekend came and my man brought home for dinner a cooked rotisserie chicken, gravy and stuffing mix and a half gallon of ice cream. I wanna say at the time I did not care, but boy when I was finished eating the guilt was overwhelming. All I wanted to do is go make myself throw up. It ruined my whole weekend. Does this happen to others and how do you deal with it.

Oh yes, it definitely does. But see above about the differences between willpower and determination.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

@maggiegbrown Accept the choice, pick it up mentally and examine it scientifically. It is JUST DATA. It does not carry any guilt. You add that. You can stop adding it. Guilt is worse than any carb or calorie could every be. Accept that you made the choice. Figure out if you had any side effects. Write out the gritty details, so you can't forget next time. When I get at rotisserie chicken, I claim most of the skin - and then I dip my chicken in melted butter. I would have skipped the gravy and stuffing mix (maybe had a few bites of stuffing), and then if I wanted some ice cream, I would have gotten a small portion and cut it half with heavy cream.

This is life, life doesn't follow some predetermined list we make up. It happens. If you want to succeed long term, you need to figure out a game plan. Me, I keep frozen broccoli on hand. Then I make broccoli, slather it in butter, garlic salt, and extra sharp cheddar. Then the stuffing isn't tempting at all!!!! Start making "in case" backup plans so you're not caught unawares again. And - focus on getting those calories in so you aren't tempted to faceplant on the weekends where temptations are stronger!

But most of all, forgive yourself, learn from it, and move on! (hugs)
  • RLC928
    RLC928 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    RLC928 wrote: »
    Checking in late to the party. I'm currently at the beginning stages of a complete overhaul thanks to the typical holiday screw ups.

I was extremely successful using a combination of keto, intermittent fasting, and lifting. I've been back on the dietary horse for about 2 weeks now, and am starting back up at the gym tonight. I will then put my IF back in.

Quick introduction for anyone that's interested!
    -- My starting weight was 535lbs. I lost my first 50lbs using Weight Watchers. It is a great program and I honestly learned a lot about things like portion control. I didn't really participate in the meetings and things since I didn't fit in with the "typical WW crowd" and it was insanely uncomfortable, so I can't speak on that part of the program. I eventually wanted more control over what I was eating. I didn't like that I could basically eat mcdonalds all day and as long as I was in my "points range" I would be ok. I had no idea what my macros were, etc...

At that point I started just plain old calorie counting. I calculated my BMR and all that and, again, it was successful. I added in cardio and began the C25K program. I have never run a day in my life, but there I was 450+lbs running like a mad man.

Once I got down to around 440, and my first 100lb milestone, I decided to give low carb a shot because I had carb cravings like crazy. It was the one major struggle I was having, so I considered keto and just wiping them out all together. I started keto, eating nothing processed and no artificial sweetener of any kind. I dropped another 20 or so pounds. I added in weight training at the gym and a intermittent fasting schedule. And got down to about 385.

Then I screwed up. "I've lost almost 200 pounds, I can take a day off!" And of course, a day turned into a week which turned into a month, which turned into me just not caring. As embarrassing as it is to say, I ended up back around 470lbs. I gained close to 100lbs back and it was no fault other than my own.

So here I am starting fresh and trying to get back in my groove. I'm back down around 430 from diet alone, and am starting back with exercise this week.

@RLC928 - It is never TOO late to join the party. And I maintain that while you might have screwed up, you didn't fail, you just got in a bad loop, realized you were in a tailspin, kicked out your legs, and stopped that tailspin in it's tracks. Now you're back swinging. I honestly do not know a single person who hasn't had some setbacks along the way. Just remember, sometimes a setback is the exact distance you need for a running start to leap over your previous obstacles. Congrats on your knowledge gained and the different paths you've taken. You know what's possible - and that will strengthen your resolve as you move forward. Welcome.

@KnitOrMiss - I appreciate the kind words of encouragement. I just got back from the gym and I'm definitely feeling it already. It's been an embarrassingly long time, and I could only do a fraction of what I was doing when I stopped going. I know I'll get back there with time though.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I'm also coming back after going over the brink. It feels good..the actual damage was a 15 pound regain. I'm now on day 5 of coming back to keto. Happy to be feeling a touch of keto flu - almost back. YAY! So, I'll be hanging in, trying to come up with a new refurbished plan to handle maintenence, after I get back down to my maintenance weight.
    It may be time for me to try to add in a daily hour of moderate, pleasant physical activity. I feel ready to do that. Might feel good and be good for my sagging spirits. I'm thinking: walking around a local pond or dance night or stretching. Nothing horrifying.
    Have a great day pals.
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    I've really been working on going strict keto these past few weeks because I really want to get into that " fat adapted level. In the last couple of days, I'm feeling lethargic in the afternoons.....I eat my first meal around 11 am or later depending on hunger and eat last meal around 6.... I'm on day 17 of carbs under 25, with most days under 20.... Thoughts ?

While the body is adapting, due to the fluid dumping nature of keto, it's extremely easy for the body to get out of electrolyte balance. When this happens, the first thing to get dumped is sodium, which will make you feel very tired. The general recommendation is 5000 mg daily MINIMUM to keep the balance easier, as well as water as much as for thirst. I would suggest upping your sodium (use pink himalayan or another natural salt, but even table salt will feel like a pick me up, too). See if that helps. (and unless you have a weird genetic anamoly type of blood pressure, standard high blood pressure does not get made worse by adding salt, contrary to what we've always been told...)

Thank You ! I really thought I was doing a better job of monitoring my electrolytes....but I see now, I wasn't !
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I've really been working on going strict keto these past few weeks because I really want to get into that " fat adapted level. In the last couple of days, I'm feeling lethargic in the afternoons.....I eat my first meal around 11 am or later depending on hunger and eat last meal around 6.... I'm on day 17 of carbs under 25, with most days under 20.... Thoughts ?

While the body is adapting, due to the fluid dumping nature of keto, it's extremely easy for the body to get out of electrolyte balance. When this happens, the first thing to get dumped is sodium, which will make you feel very tired. The general recommendation is 5000 mg daily MINIMUM to keep the balance easier, as well as water as much as for thirst. I would suggest upping your sodium (use pink himalayan or another natural salt, but even table salt will feel like a pick me up, too). See if that helps. (and unless you have a weird genetic anamoly type of blood pressure, standard high blood pressure does not get made worse by adding salt, contrary to what we've always been told...)

Thank You ! I really thought I was doing a better job of monitoring my electrolytes....but I see now, I wasn't !

@pwrfl1 I hope that has helped you to feel better!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'm also coming back after going over the brink. It feels good..the actual damage was a 15 pound regain. I'm now on day 5 of coming back to keto. Happy to be feeling a touch of keto flu - almost back. YAY! So, I'll be hanging in, trying to come up with a new refurbished plan to handle maintenence, after I get back down to my maintenance weight.
    It may be time for me to try to add in a daily hour of moderate, pleasant physical activity. I feel ready to do that. Might feel good and be good for my sagging spirits. I'm thinking: walking around a local pond or dance night or stretching. Nothing horrifying.
    Have a great day pals.

Doesn't it feel good to come back swinging after only a 15 pound gain, @elize7, and not a 50 pound one - or a 150 pound one??

Good for you on figuring out what you can add in. Every bit of knowledge, even the misery, or is that ESPECIALLY the misery?, is knowledge gained that can help us down the road!
  • amberatkinsagain
    amberatkinsagain Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Newbie checking in.

Doing well! Enjoying these results. I don't feel aggressively hungry throughout the day like I used to. I SAID NO TO MINI CUPCAKES, like my most favorite bad food ever!

Question for all you seasoned folks:

Do you weigh your food? My weight is coming off, but it's a slow roll. I think it's because I do not weigh food. For things like cups, etc. I measure, but not for weight (my diary is open to friends if interested).

Thank you, and take care all!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I don't. I do what's called lazy keto. I care more about carbs and less about calories, so I tend to round up. As long as I'm in the ballpark, I'm eating to satiety, and listening to my body, I figure it will all come out in the wash.