Options
1505152535456»

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    lottogirly wrote: »
    Thank you so much!

Well I have a few more.... how do I lose the weight quickly (as I am now since including IF with the keto) and maintain muscle? I don't want to be 190 pounds of muscle. I want to be 120 lbs of muscle.

Trust I'm NOT an athlete or body builder but from having read the forums for 4 years the common theme seems to be:
    1) it is extremely hard or impossible to BUILD muscle while in a deficit
    2) to maintain the muscle you have the best you can do is to eat adequate protein.

Others will most likely post their favorite sights regarding how much protein is needed to maintain LBM (lean body mass). I have no specific focus on this. I just eat 50 total grams of carbs or less and split my remainder between protein and fats.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ @FIT_Goat - questions about muscle sparing....above...
  • lottogirly
    lottogirly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that @kpk54 ! I didn't know how to really look it up. "muscle sparing" works for googling purposes. Thank you @KnitOrMiss :smile:

so it sounds like my choices are to build muscle or maintain lbm, right? Will I still lose weight if I'm building?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that @kpk54 ! I didn't know how to really look it up. "muscle sparing" works for googling purposes. Thank you @KnitOrMiss :smile:

so it sounds like my choices are to build muscle or maintain lbm, right? Will I still lose weight if I'm building?

It is possible, although not super common, to build muscle while losing body fat. It is complicated because you won't build tissue without an energy surplus and abundant protein. It can happen when you have way more fat than your body wants and are eating tons of protein while lifting and providing muscular demand. In those cases, your body is dropping energy into the system from the body fat, and some of it can go to building muscle tissue. It is complicated, as neither system works really well when the other is working. If you are working out and eating enough protein, you can lose fat and will (at the very least) maintain your muscle, if you aren't actually able to build more.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!

Well I have a few more.... how do I lose the weight quickly (as I am now since including IF with the keto) and maintain muscle? I don't want to be 190 pounds of muscle. I want to be 120 lbs of muscle.

Goat had a great explanation above. All I'll add to that and what was also said about always maintaining adequate animal protein is it's generally not advised to IF beyond 16 hours if minimizing potential muscle loss is your goal. And you would need to prioritize acquiring your daily protein intake in your short eating window so choosing a bit leaner meats would probably help.