Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a few of us are in the same boat. The holidays are a tough time. Stress and too much access to sweets (toxins) have left me feeling pretty lousy. I'm hoping to get my houseguests out of my house (in-laws) in the next week or so (they've been with us since October- long story) so that I can get my routine back.

Keep Calm and Keto On!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Keto Day 3. So far so good...tonite is extended dance nite, which is good because more chance for activity and less time to binge. Plus more time with friends.
    Haven't quite got my keto energy rush yet, but I know it's on the way if I stay on track.
    Yippeeeee! Holidays are over.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! We've been hosting parties with lots of food and leftovers making it no super easy to stick to Keto these days but tomorrow is a new day and a new year.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year all!

I've put on about 10 pounds since October! Yikes!

Fortunately I have the solution. I'm going back to strict LCHF and I'm thinking I'm ready to take it down to my next goal weight. I've maintained for about 2 years (until this holiday season) and I think it's time.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Hello group!

I'm new to this group and love this thread! It's awesome how everyone just pops in to update folks and check on others. I'm moving back to a LCHF WOE after a long time spent trying to force carb eating to work for me.

I'm day 3 LCHF and I'm finding it hard to eat my "preset calorie target" despite heavy weight training. Any suggestions, warnings or teachable moments welcomed! I'm learning so many things I didn't know about this lifestyle so I know that there are tons more to learn. Thanks!
  • sharonmcloughlin1
    sharonmcloughlin1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm new to keto, so I was delighted to find this group. I'm 50 yrs old from Ireland and have 80+ pounds to lose. I've been doing loads of research leading up to starting my eating plan and I just can't believe how well most people look after eating this way for some time. Obviously the weight loss is really important to me, but most people just look so much healthier, hair skin etc.

While my first priority is to lose weight, I really hope to adopt this way of eating in the long term as there seems to be many other benefits apart from just losing unwanted pounds. Please feel free to add me as a friend and good luck to everyone on their own journey to health and fitness. x
  • Fvaisey
    Options
    Hello group!

I'm new to this group and love this thread! It's awesome how everyone just pops in to update folks and check on others. I'm moving back to a LCHF WOE after a long time spent trying to force carb eating to work for me.

I'm day 3 LCHF and I'm finding it hard to eat my "preset calorie target" despite heavy weight training. Any suggestions, warnings or teachable moments welcomed! I'm learning so many things I didn't know about this lifestyle so I know that there are tons more to learn. Thanks!

While I have never done heavy lifting, it is often advised to ease up on your workouts for the first few weeks till you are sure you are fat adapted. I think the best advice is to learn to listen to your body.

If you aren't hungry then consider whether you really need to eat. Also, do try to get your protein goal in each day, that should help minimize the performance dip you'll get in your workouts while you are adapting. Good luck!
  • tjames30
    tjames30 Posts: 229 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hello everyone! I just stumbled upon this group. I started keto on Dec. 5 and have lost 10lbs, it was 14 before i cheated during the holidays! Started back keto yesterday and logging again today. Hoping to lose 100 more! Would love some keto friends and support. Hoping to lose several more pounds this month and start putting my gym membership to use again at the end of the month. My husband is doing keto with me so that does help some.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »

While I have never done heavy lifting, it is often advised to ease up on your workouts for the first few weeks till you are sure you are fat adapted. I think the best advice is to learn to listen to your body.

If you aren't hungry then consider whether you really need to eat. Also, do try to get your protein goal in each day, that should help minimize the performance dip you'll get in your workouts while you are adapting. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! I'm of the same train of thought that if I'm not hungry I won't eat. I'm fairly accustomed to hitting protein macros, but the fat is the one that I'm having to adjust to gain.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply! I'm of the same train of thought that if I'm not hungry I won't eat. I'm fairly accustomed to hitting protein macros, but the fat is the one that I'm having to adjust to gain.

Never feel pressured to eat more fat unless you need it to curb hunger. If you're not hungry, great. Your body will use your stored fat to fuel it!
  • webbsark
    webbsark Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Starting tomorrow hitting keto" big league"
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Doing well. Hoping for a big whoosh tomorrow after releasing mega waters all day today....soooo ready for the whoosh.
    Just want to feel the keto benefits again.
    This new year feels like a wide open clean slate. I think it's going to be my year, at last!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Nice to see all the new updates. Do we want to start a new thread for 2017 updates, so any new joiners don't feel intimidated by 37 pages of posts?
  • Fvaisey
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Nice to see all the new updates. Do we want to start a new thread for 2017 updates, so any new joiners don't feel intimidated by 37 pages of posts?

That doesn't sound like a bad idea.

It's been 6 months since I got a morning workout in. Trying to get back into the routine!
  • lottogirly
    lottogirly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I've been trying keto with no success. I see my mistakes and am working on those but also started IF last night. Goal is 16/8 strict. I'm down 1.5 pounds in one day. I'm no stranger to the fast. But I'm having trouble finding some good yogurt without a lot carbs. Even yoplait greek plain yogurt has 12 grams. That's worse than the vanilla which has only 10 grams! What do you guys use?plus I don't like using asulflame potassium (gives me headaches.) Also, is anyone doing the keto with IF and not working out? How's that working for you as in weight results and muscle definition?
  • laurendunlop83
    laurendunlop83 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey just wondering how long it took most people to get over the initial nausea/headaches typically associated with the early stages of keto? Or any tips to avoid this?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Hey just wondering how long it took most people to get over the initial nausea/headaches typically associated with the early stages of keto? Or any tips to avoid this?

This is 99.9% of the time because of low electrolytes @laurendunlop83 . Focus on trying to get up to 5000 mg of sodium throughout the day to replace what you are dumping by dropping carbs. Work on getting in something like dill pickles, olives, salty broth, cured meats, or just heavily salt your food. There are pills you can take, or you can take the rough sea salt crystals (for a grinder type device) and swallow them like pills. Try not to get a full tsp of salt in any dose, as that can cause digestive pyrotechnics (aka bathroom misery), but spread it out, etc.

The more water you drink, the more you'll dump.

And if you continue to feel bad and not get enough sodium, you'll start dumping magnesium, and eventually potassium as well. Magnesium is needed in over 300 bodily enzyme processes, and 90% of the world already doesn't get enough. Getting headaches, nausea, unexpected constipation or diarrhea, increased blood pressure, and muscle cramps are the biggest red flags telling you that you're low on magnesium.

Most folks get enough potassium from foods (magnesium is massively deplete in soil, so we can't get it through most foods anymore, at least not at any functional level). Potassium is deadly to have too much or too little, so please get blood testing done to determine if you need this...

Magnesium, if supplemented, should not be used magnesium oxide - as it's the worst form as far as tolerance. Most forms ending in -ate are reasonable forms... If you need more direction there, just respond and someone will give you a link or advice.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    lottogirly wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I've been trying keto with no success. I see my mistakes and am working on those but also started IF last night. Goal is 16/8 strict. I'm down 1.5 pounds in one day. I'm no stranger to the fast. But I'm having trouble finding some good yogurt without a lot carbs. Even yoplait greek plain yogurt has 12 grams. That's worse than the vanilla which has only 10 grams! What do you guys use?plus I don't like using asulflame potassium (gives me headaches.) Also, is anyone doing the keto with IF and not working out? How's that working for you as in weight results and muscle definition?

All dairy yogurt is going to have carbs from the natural milk sugars. Period. Now full fat yogurts that are unsweetened will have less...but most companies add something - or you will want to add something to be able to enjoy it. My favorites were Green Mountain brand and Skyr. I use them rarely.

Other milks like goat's milk and such might have less, but I haven't tried any of these myself.

Is there a particular reason that you are wanting to consume yogurt? If it is for the protein, there are many better sources of protein. If it is for the probiotics, you will be better off with a good quality probiotic separately. If it is for taste, there are things like "Jello Fat Bombs" that taste like a custard style yogurt.

However, once you are fat adapted and adjusted to nutritional ketosis without any slips for several months, you will likely be able to include small portions of yogurt and maintain ketosis. Greek, unsweetened yogurt can be used with berries, stevia, or any number of foods once your taste buds adjust better to not want foods as sweet, etc.

It really depends on your long term goals.

I also avoid Ace K, aspartame, sacchirin, and sucralose, etc... I do okay with combinations of stevia, erythritol, and xylitol, as well as a few others, but I use them sparingly and far between...

Good luck. Fill us in on any more specific questions, @lottogirly - and we'll endeavor to give you more specific answers.
  • lottogirly
    lottogirly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!

Well I have a few more.... how do I lose the weight quickly (as I am now since including IF with the keto) and maintain muscle? I don't want to be 190 pounds of muscle. I want to be 120 lbs of muscle.