Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Yup, I say that anything that works goes in my toolbox, no matter how unconventional!!

Congrats, @elize7... I really hope it continues to work for you! That's a HUGE success. :)
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    @elize7, that's great! I think the biggest trick is to just keep adjusting till you find what works for you. Props for sticking with it!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Hey Knit!
    Tried the new plan last night, earlier than I hoped, but when that urge hit I had a dinner with about 25 more carbs than usual (45 total), and just a wee bit more fat and protein. I felt very satisfied and figure I saved myself !hundreds!!! of carbs and fat!!! from my standard binge. And a couple thousand calories overall! This could really be a breakthrough for me.
    Then easy, peasy back to keto for breakfast.
    I don't usually eat lunch, and if I get the urge tonight, I'll do the same thing. Maybe tomorrow and saturday too!

I feel pretty psyched! A new tool in the toolbag. Don't know if it's the cure, but I really felt full and satisfied after.
    Today, I also had an extra cup of bouillion before dinner which another fitness pal said had helped with sugar cravings...

Hoping for another binge free evening. The final failsafe trick being...just go to bed!!

# feeling fully armed for success.

That must feel so empowering!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Well for the first weekend night, I tried the thin mama plan and wasn't 100 percent successful, but it wasn't a full on binge either ...so progress. Still feel pumped for tonight, and will get a mostly keto take out salad dinner as a treat. That would be a successful if not perfect weekend upgrade. Back to plan.

Took a look at the bod today, and had to face the fact that I've reentered the pudgy territory, after my swift( 4 month) exit from too thin country. With me it seems to be a lose fast and regain fast pattern. Really would like to find the slow and steady path one of these days.
    Somehow I feel a shift going on in my feelings. I feel more secure about letting go of the let-down man, I feel very secure and happy in my new crowd of friends, and while I'm not happy about how I look again, I'm not in panic mode about it either.
    I'm trying to turn my focus back on myself after putting too much of it on someone else, and ...why haven't I learned by now that never works, anyway.
    With this realization, and now that I'm hurting a bit less, I'm hoping for some more progress in my body/food as fuel lifestyle.
    I really don't know where I'm going with all this, but I do see an overall rise in the level of my day to day happiness from when I started this journey 115 pounds ago, even including all the struggles and challenges.
    Thank God tomorrow's Sunday. Usually, Sun thru Thursdays are my safer food days.
    Luv to you all, pals!
  • elize7
    Options
    I'd give myself a grade of C- for this weekends carb experiment. This is a real improvement over other weekends, and still leaves room for improvement.
    Fri, Sat, and Sunday I went over what I planned for...but was still way ahead of the game in terms of my usual binges.
    Better food planning for this weekend might help with that. I am definately an easy access food person. So if it's there, prepared... I have a better chance of being successful.
    Also need to cut back on the cost of all these food binges. Really hurts the budget!
    Feel like I'm getting back on track today. I notice that carb withdrawal really does affect my moods in a bad way. But, I have a lot of errands for today, so I'll be out and about and somewhat productive, so that helps so much.
    Have a great day, pals. I really should get going!
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I messed up last night. I was doing really well the past few weeks. Yesterday I did IF and skipped breakfast then had an awesome keto lunch and went to the gym and did a really good session of cardio. Then I got home, I already had dinner planned and everything. My roommate was baking cakes and had several scraps she needed to discard plus tons of excess mini Reese's cups she needed to discard. I had probably easily 100g of sugar. My ketones this morning read trace. I'm sure I stopped producing ketones and those trace amounts were just lingering from earlier in the day.

How best do I rebound? I did IF this morning but I was really debating whether or not to IF or to start consuming fats as soon as possible with my BPC. Is this really going to set me back?

I noticed my stomach was really gassy and bloated this morning.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    The gassy and bloated stuff is the reaction - most likely to the grains in the cake rather than the sugar, though could be both. The easiest way to get back on track is to simply do what you would normally do on plan. You likely had slightly less reaction since it was after a workout, and a portion of the glucose refilled your glycogen stores. I'm not a fan of any "boost" or attempted "jump starts." Just get back to it, and your body will get with the program. Simple as. If anything, maybe do a little interval type training to drain the glycogen stores again, but honestly, the excess glucose has already been stored as fat, so just keep on keeping on.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    I'd give myself a grade of C- for this weekends carb experiment. This is a real improvement over other weekends, and still leaves room for improvement.
    Fri, Sat, and Sunday I went over what I planned for...but was still way ahead of the game in terms of my usual binges.
    Better food planning for this weekend might help with that. I am definately an easy access food person. So if it's there, prepared... I have a better chance of being successful.
    Also need to cut back on the cost of all these food binges. Really hurts the budget!
    Feel like I'm getting back on track today. I notice that carb withdrawal really does affect my moods in a bad way. But, I have a lot of errands for today, so I'll be out and about and somewhat productive, so that helps so much.
    Have a great day, pals. I really should get going!

Any improvement is good improvement
  • elize7
    Options
    Another Saturday night, home alone, fighting off a binge urge.
    Trying the temporary carb increase method. So far I'm up about 25 carbs over my keto level. I added up the carbs from a normal binge and I'm saving myself about 560 carbs.
    That's freaking impressive. And I had some foods that I love, but aren't on my regular plan...so my bad girl side feels acknowledged!
    This could be really helpful in stablizing my recent crazy food plan swings.
    I feel great about that and tomorrow is Sunday, which is when the anxiety typically subsides for me. I have a similar meal planned if I need it, and if I don't then it's ready to go for the next crazy urge.
    Just have to make it for about 3 more hours....wish me luck!
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling good about today. I'm down two more pounds, which is great, and I'm feeling good. I'm planning an 8 mile walk, so I'm going to load up on the fats this morning for breakfast and plenty of water. I'll probably bring a small amount of nuts and cheese in case I start feeling super hungry/shakey but I'm not anticipating needing to eat until I get back home.
  • elize7
    Options
    Well, I'm officially off keto for the moment. Need to back up and go back to the beginning. I'm doing low carb (50g)for now, successfully... and when I feel less volatile, I'll cut back to my usual 20g carbs per day.

I'm hoping that since I've had some success for days now with averting big time binge urges, and that this increase in carbs really does help with satiety for me for some reason that eludes me...that I'll just have to trust when it's time to get back to business.

I notice my skin is breaking out, and my scalp is getting patchy, and I have all over body aches...just in the time since I've been back and forth on and off keto. Not to mention my moods are not as happy. Can't wait to be ready to get back on track for those benefits...but I have to do what I can to stablize my eating first because I just can't afford to let this out of control pattern continue.

Hope to be back to keto sooner rather than later...i still consider myself a keto girl who is temporarily in low carb exile....
    Could be worse I guess.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @elize7 - Keto can be maintained at higher levels. In fact, Chris Masterjohn PhD is testing out a theory that it can be maintained even on a higher carb diet by complimenting any higher carb meals with MCT, continuing production of ketones even in the presence of carbs. I think he said that 20% of the calories need to come from the MCT for that to work, so start slowly... I'm trying this out, too, since insulin is critical to the proper function of the thyroid, which has been my problem for years now, and specifically more so since going low carb.

I'm really enjoying his downloadable podcasts, though they're very technical (most of them, anyway), called "The Daily Lipid." If you're interested, his stuff can be found at www.chrismasterjohnphd.com. I've found it really enlightening...especially the podcast on insulin resistance. I'm working on shifting my mindset around now...

My personal theory has been (for a long time now, if not always) that one should eat as many calories as possible while still being able to lose weight, and as many carbs as possible while still being able to lose weight and reap all the lovely low carby benefits!
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @elize7 - Keto can be maintained at higher levels.

My personal theory has been (for a long time now, if not always) that[/b] one should eat as many calories as possible while still being able to lose weight, and as many carbs as possible while still being able to lose weight and reap all the lovely low carby benefits!
    . I totally agree with these statements....I also think healing and balancing hormones is huge factor, esp for women !

• elize7
    Options
    Well today, for all the wrong reasons, I wound up doing what i will interpret as a fast. By tomorrow AM, It will be for about 36 hours. Not even trying, just because I'm feeling blue...however; I'm not one to complain about this unexpected gift. Maybe it will even help reset my direction.
    My "fasts" do include cream in my coffee so it's not a real fast, but my macros were total keto. A little feather in my cap which is greatly appreciated at this time.
    The universe provides...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @elize7 - Essentially that is a fat fast, which apparently is better for those of us with any type of metabolic malfunctions. As long as you aren't forcibly restricting, this sounds awesome. How are you feeling???
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss - in regards to your earlier post I commented on. Have you looked into healthful pursuit.com? I've been looking into some of her blogs, and some things seem to really resonate with what's going on within my own body....
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @pwrfl1 - I have, off and on in the last 3 years, but not as much recently. She's switched to more podcasts, and those are harder for me to listen to at work, etc. Specifically the PhD above has focused on thyroid health and such, which for me right now is at the center of my focus, and I hadn't seen any thyroid posts from Leanne in a while.. I need to go back and watch, though. I just can't seem to get to a place of going dairy free, etc., which is where most of Leanne's stuff would take me.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    I agree on the dairy free and Leanne...I was thinking that it might benefit me to go dairy free for a month or so to see if I can get some movement on my journey. I just haven't fully committed.! Lol. Did you listen to any of the keto summit....again it was all podcasts, so maybe not. I listened to Masterjohns talk on there and thought it was very good.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Yup, I listened to his, and some more of his podcast on his show, The Daily Lipid. Maria Emmerich was very good at the Summit, as was Dr. Catherine Crofts... Hers was VERY technical on the logistics of insulin resistance...and it scared me, but in a good way...

There's a Fat Summit coming up... fatsummit.com coming up soon... And one from functional medicine stuff ... goevomed.com/microbiome-bonus ... I don't know if you can get to it from that link. If not, message back and I'll find a better link.
  • elize7
    Options
    Thanks Knit!
    I just broke my fast at 44 hours because I thought I should, still not really hungry. All keto for now. Got a whole lot of extra sleep last night and today, and actually feel a little better overall. May or may not go out tonight, am looking forward to an upcoming visit with my son...so I seem to be rallying.
    Even lost a pound since yesterday, and feel ready to get back into my happier self. And am proud of myself for really trying to deal with my emotions instead of eating them or run away from them.
    On the hoarder thread I keep seeing how you have to let go of the old in order to make room for the new, and also that seems to be the meaning of this upcoming full moon ( according to 9 million facebook posts) so...I'm going with that.
    On some level I believe that my eating issues all relate to not having learned healthy ways to handle my feelings... and that I am in the right place and time in my keto/LCHF journey to give myself space to face this. On some level I believe I need to do this in order to be able to arrive at a stable maintenance plan; and that being able to count on keto/LCHF as a tool to grab on to when I feel I've relapsed too much is the most important gift I've ever received in terms of my pursuit of happiness.
    I always land on my feet, and if I sound always sad and lonely...I don't mean to. I really am just trying to acknowledge what I'm feeling when I feel it because I came from a place where I learned that was not okay to do, and where what you felt could be used against you...so it was not safe to be honest, not safe to be authentic.
    I have had alot of great advances and happy moments in the past couple years courtesy of keto.
    Keeping it real.