Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• TheBuffster40
    TheBuffster40 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Quick tip/observation - I know scales that measure body fat percentage aren't very accurate but I've found it really helpful. I've not lost much weight in the past 4 weeks and would be quite downhearted as I'm lchf and doing it strictly. However scale says I've lost 2.5% body fat in that period which is brilliant. Now the readings for bf fluctuate a lot but the overall trend feels clear and reliable.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    What brand of scale do you have?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    My main struggle is finding satisfying breakfast ideas that are non-dairy. If I'm going to cave anywhere with carbs it's breakfast 'cause I get tired of just eggs. This morning I tried keto waffles... not bad!
  • TheBuffster40
    TheBuffster40 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's a salter. It's nothing fancy but gives a bf reading. I wouldn't say the reading itself is accurate but I think as against itself it is reliable for the trend.
    It makes sense too - I've been feeling smaller even tho I don't see it on the tape measure. I'm less lumpy rather than smaller at my waist and hip measurements iyswim. I just look better. V encouraging to have one number that's going down as weight and measurements are negligible atm otherwise I think I'd discount what I see.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Had the most amount of MCT this morning in the shortest timeframe ever. I think I have a pretty high tolerance for it as I have not had to go to the bathroom yet and I don't feel crampy or anything. I had 2 Tbsp in my BPC along with 1 Tbsp grassfed butter, 2 tsp heavy whipping cream, stevia and cinnamon. Also added 1 Tbsp MCT oil to my greek yogurt along with raspberries and stevia. I was likely going to have an additional 1 Tbsp tonight in my dinner which is zoodles with an avocado cream sauce. Would 4 Tbsp in a day be too much?
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Also checking out the Keto Summit right now while I'm work!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It's not too much if you tolerate it well. Therapeutic ranges of coconut oil are 8-12 TBSP...I can't see how MCT would be much different.
  • Claudette03
    Claudette03 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Starting Keto today! So glad I found this group and hoping being part of a like-minded community will help me stay on track. Keto goes against everything I know about diet and weight loss. I lost over 100 lbs eating a low fat diet in 2004 and have kept it off until this year. I have gained 33 lbs as a result of illness and letting my eating habits slip. It's easy to eat when you can't do anything else! I have a lot of body fat to lose and can't do anything but low impact exercise and that is why I am trying this. Got my measurements and starting pic out of the way and it is what it is. I can only go down from here!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Starting Keto today! So glad I found this group and hoping being part of a like-minded community will help me stay on track. Keto goes against everything I know about diet and weight loss. I lost over 100 lbs eating a low fat diet in 2004 and have kept it off until this year. I have gained 33 lbs as a result of illness and letting my eating habits slip. It's easy to eat when you can't do anything else! I have a lot of body fat to lose and can't do anything but low impact exercise and that is why I am trying this. Got my measurements and starting pic out of the way and it is what it is. I can only go down from here!

Before pic and measurements is not something I have never done and don't know if I have the guts to do....
  • kittn_mittns
    kittn_mittns Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey! My name is Kay. I started Keto originally around June, lost about 15 pounds in two months and then fell off the wagon because summer holidays are too tempting! I managed to gain all the weight back and feel even worse than I did before originally, so I'm getting back on and I'm going to keep going until I drop the weight I set out to lose! I tried to go without logging, but it turns out I have terrible personal accountability :wink:
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Hey! My name is Kay. I started Keto originally around June, lost about 15 pounds in two months and then fell off the wagon because summer holidays are too tempting! I managed to gain all the weight back and feel even worse than I did before originally, so I'm getting back on and I'm going to keep going until I drop the weight I set out to lose! I tried to go without logging, but it turns out I have terrible personal accountability :wink:

Wow! I totally could've written that entire post myself. I've been trying to get used to logging everything. I'm giving myself a week to try to get into the habit and I'm hoping to be consistent with it daily come October 1.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I never did before pics either. In fact, I have thrown out all photos I can find of myself that I don't like. I have big time body dysmorphia issues and only recently am beginning to deal with my body as is.
    Even trying to love it after a partial regain.

My main issue now seems to be be lack of ability to regain my focus and direction for continuing this lifestyle consistantly.
    I really feel lost at sea. I'm back to emotional eating and self sabotaging my food plan...in spite of the desire not to.

Just cannot seem to combine taking even normal life risks, setbacks and disappointments without over-reacting with comfort food. I'm stymied. Trying to be patient with myself and not beat myself up, but really can't seem to find a successful strategy for this area.
    I've tried hobbies, social events, household projects, creative expression...anything I can think of....but the first little heartache or rejection and I'm stuffing my face like a trooper!
    So frustrated I could scream and throw things. I don't want to gain back all my weight. I dont want fat to be my protection from living.
    And that is how I feel today.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @elize7 - I can't remember if I asked you about this before, but have you ever looked into something more like the Trim Healthy Mama program? I don't use it (yet) myself or anything, but it's essentially like an alternating LCHF/Keto plan and a low-ish carb, low fat plan... Basically, if your meal has fats, it should have under a certain number of carbs. If it has over a certain amount of carbs, it should have under a specific amount of fats.... All meals include reasonable protein, etc. You're just supposed to wait 3 hours before switching fuel sources. So if you wanted to eat keto for breakfast and lunch, then wanted carb stuff at dinner (still limited, just more allowed than on keto), you have the carb stuff and skip the fats. How you break it down is up to you. It just sounds like something that might end up having the flexibility for you. You can do the occasional meal with higher carbs and fats, but it has to be on a limited basis, etc. I keep coming back to this idea, though I just need to break down and buy the books - because I keep checking out the e-books and library books, and I'll make it part way through and not finish. I have a friend who lost 100 pounds in a little over a year doing it, and healed a lot of her health issues. She's finding it easier to stick with due to the flexibility. Just thought I would mention it as something to research.

You know me, I'm all about making my own path, and I'm working hard within that right now... :)

I just hate seeing you feel so tortured at not being able to stick with things through your more stressful times (lordy knows I am right there with you!)...
  • elize7
    Options
    Thanks Knit! That sounds like something to check out.. it really might help to keep me on track. Three hours between fuel sources would be easy for me... and more carbs- planned- might keep me going. I actually had talked about something like this with my therapist and picked out a couple foods to substitute for those killer weekend temptations. Didn't even know it was a "thing."
    This weekend I think I'll start, and I'll keep you posted as to any successes. It really might help at the moment.

I know I post a lot about my struggles, but I really have no intention of jumping ship.
    Adding life to my life is challenging and triggers my food and security issues bigtime; but believe me when I say...I plan to stick with it and keep trying.
    It's so nice to have people out there who care and understand and respond.

Thanks for all your advice to me and to others whom I see you comment to. You are so awesome!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @elize7 - You are so welcome. Helping people like this is frankly, my passion. I don't know any other way to put it, really. So many of us share so many struggles. I cannot even begin to count the number of times I've started out to research something for a friend - only to find out something for myself along the way!

That being said, the idea of the flexible program appeals to me so much, but I'm really terrified to feel like I"m stepping off keto, when in reality, I've already done that. I've been on repeat binge mode, though not faceplanting into all the bad foods, eating compulsively or eating even when I don't want something but can't think of anything else or eating one of something and not taking another breath until the entire package is gone, etc.

The fact is, nutritional ketosis is a thing, but it isn't a good thing for everyone, and for some people, just lowering the carbs is enough to get fat adapted, which for me personally, is the goal, not maintaining ketosis, per se. I can slide in and out of NK without much of any changes I notice, as long as I keep it low carb. So remember, that just because full on keto is what got you here, that modified keto could be what keeps you here. It could be as simple as one meal a day is keto - or one meal a week - or whatever...

I've been kind of in hiding with my own mess, because I can't figure out the direction I want to follow. I keep trying to keep low carb, as my mornings and lunches tend to be keto, at least M-F, because it's the easiest and my body responds best to those foods while performing for work, etc... I just can't find the balance. I know I have way too much going on, and that's why I'm stressed and finding it hard to focus, but I just keep looking for the lynchpin...haven't found it yet.

So while I'm over here in my chaos sh!+ storm, take solace in the fact that my brain is still mostly working, even if my sanity isn't! LOL

Wishing you luck and absolutely looking forward to hearing how your experiment goes!
  • Claudette03
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @elize7 - I can't remember if I asked you about this before, but have you ever looked into something more like the Trim Healthy Mama program? I don't use it (yet) myself or anything, but it's essentially like an alternating LCHF/Keto plan and a low-ish carb, low fat plan... Basically, if your meal has fats, it should have under a certain number of carbs. If it has over a certain amount of carbs, it should have under a specific amount of fats.... All meals include reasonable protein, etc. You're just supposed to wait 3 hours before switching fuel sources. So if you wanted to eat keto for breakfast and lunch, then wanted carb stuff at dinner (still limited, just more allowed than on keto), you have the carb stuff and skip the fats. How you break it down is up to you. It just sounds like something that might end up having the flexibility for you. You can do the occasional meal with higher carbs and fats, but it has to be on a limited basis, etc. I keep coming back to this idea, though I just need to break down and buy the books - because I keep checking out the e-books and library books, and I'll make it part way through and not finish. I have a friend who lost 100 pounds in a little over a year doing it, and healed a lot of her health issues. She's finding it easier to stick with due to the flexibility. Just thought I would mention it as something to research.

You know me, I'm all about making my own path, and I'm working hard within that right now... :)

I just hate seeing you feel so tortured at not being able to stick with things through your more stressful times (lordy knows I am right there with you!)...

• Claudette03
    Options
    What you're describing sounds like carb cycling. There are some good books out on the subject and other shows to be pretty effective. There is also a cheat day on most of the carb cycling plans.
  • Claudette03
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »

Before pic and measurements is not something I have never done and don't know if I have the guts to do....

Measurements are key! The scale doesn't always show the results you have earned, especially when losing fat. But inches will be lost and it's so motivating to see that when the scale isn't moving.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    What you're describing sounds like carb cycling. There are some good books out on the subject and other shows to be pretty effective. There is also a cheat day on most of the carb cycling plans.

The main thing about THM and the way it works is that even the "carb days" are closer to a high end low carb plan. Most carb cycling I've seen is more about however much you want in a set amount of time, though admittedly, I haven't researched it. Also, with THM, you can switch that gear every other meal if you want... Carb cycling is generally a wider scale...
  • elize7
    Options
    Hey Knit!
    Tried the new plan last night, earlier than I hoped, but when that urge hit I had a dinner with about 25 more carbs than usual (45 total), and just a wee bit more fat and protein. I felt very satisfied and figure I saved myself !hundreds!!! of carbs and fat!!! from my standard binge. And a couple thousand calories overall! This could really be a breakthrough for me.
    Then easy, peasy back to keto for breakfast.
    I don't usually eat lunch, and if I get the urge tonight, I'll do the same thing. Maybe tomorrow and saturday too!

I feel pretty psyched! A new tool in the toolbag. Don't know if it's the cure, but I really felt full and satisfied after.
    Today, I also had an extra cup of bouillion before dinner which another fitness pal said had helped with sugar cravings...

Hoping for another binge free evening. The final failsafe trick being...just go to bed!!

# feeling fully armed for success.