Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Mine is "open" but I haven't been filling it out lately. February to April was good, this year and last. What type of info are you looking for?
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    What I like about keto is the energy I feel, the simplicity of eating, the predictable losses when I am compliant, the health benefits, new smaller clothes, cleared up skin on face and scalp, my keto pals, feeling more confident to venture out into the world to try new things, having a new start.

Love your enthusiasm !!! Keep going !!!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    What I like about keto is the energy I feel, the simplicity of eating, the predictable losses when I am compliant, the health benefits, new smaller clothes, cleared up skin on face and scalp, my keto pals, feeling more confident to venture out into the world to try new things, having a new start.

What an inspiring post.
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Eat veggies. Stick to the green/white ones and you'll do fine. I've been eating salad loaded with veggies, cheese, oil and pumpkin seeds for every meal and have not had issues with going over carbs
  • angel381
    angel381 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I have been low carbing since 5/23. I'm down about 15lbs, but have just watched my body fat fluctuate between 42% (start) and 38.9%(lowest). Fluctuates daily between those two numbers. I may not be getting enough veggies/leafy greens in but I try to have a cup of steamed broccoli (with butter) with my dinners. Usually have my coffee with 1 splenda (sometimes none) and heavy cream. Two eggs with shredded cheese on top. Dinners are anywhere from chicken wings (preferably seasoning rubs), fajitas (no tortillas), baked chicken thighs, sometimes steak, sometimes a bacon cheeseburger (no bun).

I understand and anticipate fluctuations and definitely don't expect the scale to just drop continuously, but seeing my body fat % like that has me curious. I can definitely see a difference in my body (not paying too much attention to my weight as a number), my clothes fit so much better and a couple folks have commented that I have lost weight. I have a pair of bed pants with the waist tie still at where I started. Now I'm pretty close to them just falling right off me. So I know there is progress of some form. Just not understanding the body fat.

Any tips or info?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @angel381 Most body fat scales are very ineffective. They measure hydration changes far more than actual fat. They work by sending and electrical jolt from one side and register how long it takes it to go to the other side. So if you're like me, and have a lot of leg and stomach weight, it registers the max body fat percentage of 60%, even though my true body fat (measured in other ways and verified) is actually closer to 40-45%. And I gets down to maybe 55% or lower when I'm super hydrated...60% means I'm dehydrated considerably.

Your dietary plan sounds fine. Vegetables are not necessary, but can be included if they fit your numbers. I'd keep on, and use pictures and measurements to continue to count your progress.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    This is the calculator I use to estimate body fat percentage, and it generally proves fairly close to accurate, as it uses more measurements than most calculators do.

http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/cbbf/
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    Starting keto diet, this is day 2. I have been watching utubes videos on how to proceed with this new life style way of eating. Professor Jacob Wilson was very helpful. I can see that this will work for me because my appetite is way down and no more sugar cravings.
    Keep Going ! You are doing great !
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    One more day til keto reboot. Fridge is stocked. Getting mentally ready for blast off.
    Shooting for one month or as long as it takes to relose 15 of the pounds I had regained.

I picked that number because I noticed that is the weight where I feel and look best. it's not the number I picked due to my college weight or what a supermodel who is my height weighs. I just discovered in the course of maintenence struggles, this weight just seems to work best for me and makes me feel comfortable with my body. I'm sticking with that as my final goal weight. No more arbitrary numbers that only elude and frustrate me.

I feel like this is a positive step for me in body acceptance. I think I'll be able to live with it and can always tweak and improve after that with body recomposition efforts or whatever I feel like doing or not doing. I'm ready to just like what I got and not feel ashamed or inferior because I'm not thin as a model.

It's taken me 50 years to learn this lesson. I never want to belittle myself or feel "less than" over poundage again. I just won't do that to myself anymore.

Very happy to have come into this attitude. It's like a breath of fresh air.
    . Love seeing this realization....and your self confidence grow !! Let it shine - Let it shine !!!!

• pwrfl1
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    This is the calculator I use to estimate body fat percentage, and it generally proves fairly close to accurate, as it uses more measurements than most calculators do.

http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/cbbf/
    . This calculator just made my day!! I checked this out, and my LBM and fat pounds were where I was over 15 YEARS AGO !!! I figure I've lost around 20 body fat percentage points since last fall..... Of course it's all speculation due to using measurements and calculators, but heck - I'll take it !!! Keto for the Win !!

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    One more day til keto reboot. Fridge is stocked. Getting mentally ready for blast off.
    Shooting for one month or as long as it takes to relose 15 of the pounds I had regained.

I picked that number because I noticed that is the weight where I feel and look best. it's not the number I picked due to my college weight or what a supermodel who is my height weighs. I just discovered in the course of maintenence struggles, this weight just seems to work best for me and makes me feel comfortable with my body. I'm sticking with that as my final goal weight. No more arbitrary numbers that only elude and frustrate me.

I feel like this is a positive step for me in body acceptance. I think I'll be able to live with it and can always tweak and improve after that with body recomposition efforts or whatever I feel like doing or not doing. I'm ready to just like what I got and not feel ashamed or inferior because I'm not thin as a model.

It's taken me 50 years to learn this lesson. I never want to belittle myself or feel "less than" over poundage again. I just won't do that to myself anymore.

Very happy to have come into this attitude. It's like a breath of fresh air.

@elize7 Thrilled for you!! I hope you find that "comfort weight" and learn to love all of it!

I've never wanted to look like a model, but mostly because I think they're all way way WAY too skinny. I don't want to see the bones on anyone. Ever. I don't know why, but I've always felt that way. LOL

My problem lately is that I seem to do great at keto within the control of my workday. Evenings are higher carb, and weekends, I just give up. Ongoing stress, a sense of permanent hopelessness about my weight, being broke compounding the stress issue and the food issue, etc., they are all factors - and right now, I just can't seem to pull myself together enough to care. I don't know what my malfunction is. I think stress over my thyroid issue and it having seemingly gotten worse temporarily on keto frustrates me. I can't do a moderate carb plan without faceplanting into all the carbs that make me a binge monster. I can't find a middle ground. It's "eat all the carbs and mountains of them" - or "eat keto tightly restricted for life!" What kind of option is that??? So frustrated with myself...
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I so relate to your post Knit! For about 6 months I seem to be able to stick to really good keto except for when I go out to socialize. I've figured out that it's not even fear or anxiety about being in new social environments...it's that I'm so ready to be dating that I just get upset and more than a little angry that I wind up going home alone. And then it's straight to the market for the binge. That's my cue to faceplant into carbage. No matter how I've strategized, I haven't been able to circumvent that outcome.
    As of today, I've regained enough that I'm starting to feel uncomfortable in my own skin. So, my resolve is for one month, no cheats. If I have to, I can have the faceplant on August 18. Hopefully, by then I'll be refocused and choose a non food item, but apparently I need the promise of the reward to get motivated for now.
    And...
    back to the drawing board for new carb management ideas.
    Today so far has been good ketowise. One day down - 30 days to go. I did buy a new scale so it's back to weigh ins tomorrow morning.
    Wish me luck, strength, and resolve, pals.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    KnitORMiss - I am struggling in the evenings too with carb cravings. I did this before for 9 months straight and I do not remember having these cravings. That was before I was being treated for thyroid issues.

best of luck to you elize7 - you CAN do it!
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Still pretty new to keto myself. Type 2 diabetic trying to exorcise this demon forever. I'm a total accountability-wh0re, so I have no problem keeping motivated myself (yet), but am happy to add anyone who requests it and needs regular cheering on and support <3

Diary is wide open. Sort of a foodie, love to cook, feel free to trade/steal my ideas or ask for me recipes :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    KnitORMiss - I am struggling in the evenings too with carb cravings. I did this before for 9 months straight and I do not remember having these cravings. That was before I was being treated for thyroid issues.

best of luck to you elize7 - you CAN do it!

@toadqueen - My main issue THIS TIME AROUND has been that adding in the second thyroid medication seems to have boosted my metabolism just enough that I WANT ALL THE CARBS... Sugar cravings out of nowhere. 3-4 candy bars at a sitting. Snuck. Wrappers hidden in the trash, the whole 9 of my worst behaviors. And it's gotten a little better, increasing the dose, but I still get whammied with the the cravings out of nowhere. I had to be be "talked down from the ledge" yesterday. It's ridiculous. I'm looking into adding in L-Glutamine. It is supposed to help with with "addict" receptors that are present in alcoholics and sugar "junkies." I've got a few more supplements in my toolbox, but not pulling them out just yet...
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I am not sure if my issues are the new thyroid medication or just that fact that I have gotten used to eating whatever I want. I hope it is the latter. I do not know if the thyroid medication is even helping me at all.

I understand that it takes 3 weeks of no sugars before we stop craving it. Maybe it was as difficult back in 2009 when was I so successful in curbing the carbs and I just don't remember that far back. Then I was motivated because my glucose levels were out of control even with taking insulin+. I was trying to avoid a recommended gastric bypass and it worked!

I am glad that you have support to talk with and help you resist. I have to rely on myself right now AND this forum!!
  • keto_lilt
    keto_lilt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm new to Keto and new to MFP--love reading all the posts. I'm aiming to lose 15 to 20 pounds. Have a question about counting calories. Several of the sites and VLOGS say that counting calories isn't necessary (especially in the beginning) but when I entered my daily macro tracking it showed I was way over in the calories. Should I worry about this? I'm very slowing losing--like really slow and some days have been stalled. Only my second week of this and I know I can't expect to have big losses since I've not got a lot to lose. Any advice?