Daily check in for Keto friends...

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    While adapting to using fats as your primary fuel source, @keto_lilt, you generally need a few extra calories to help the system convert the mitochondria over to running off fats. Additionally, while trying to adapt to eating less carbs, many folks need to increase fats to get through the withdrawal effect. As long as you don't have overeating issues and you don't use many sweeteners, you shouldn't have to worry too much about calorie intake - though admittedly, some "hard" losers have to pay more attention. Personally, I tell people to ignore calories for the first 4 weeks minimum, for the first 12 weeks if they're having a hard time avoiding carbs.

Also, some folks have to do healing before they lose much of anything. At your limited about to lose, I would honestly say that if you're losing a pound a month, you're still going well. Be sure to take pictures and measurements, as most folks find that when the scale is stubborn, recomp is happening, and vice versa. I had a period of time where in 14 months I lost 14 pounds, and it looked like 60...or I had no scale change for months, but I continued losing inches.

So maybe look at your goals in terms of health or achievements? Such as a size jeans, a blood pressure/glucose number, an exercise in a set amount of time, etc. When we become scale obsessed is when we fail. Another "cousin" group I like to suggest is: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

If you choose to join that group, I'd recommend these posts as reading:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10067269/your-scale-is-a-lying-liarpants?new=1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10353600/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-stall#latest

But most of all, patience. Pay attention to your body, to your hunger (true hunger), your triggers, etc. Likely, after the first 4-12 weeks is a good time to start incorporating exercise/workouts (the performance dips while your muscle mitochondria is changing) if you are not already working on it. That way you can recomp your body the way you want with muscle growth, etc. Also, make sure to keep your sodium, water, and electrolyte balance.

Good luck!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Congrats @elize7! That's some massive NSV's right there. Ride the wave! :) Each battle is it's own, and in my book, as long as you come back swinging, you're successful!
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    @keto_lilt - I am not sure what your fat:protein:carb ratio is. For me, that balance was more important than the number of calories. When I lost 98 lbs, I averaged just under 10 lbs per month but most of that was front loaded. It took me 2 months to lose 12 lbs at the end. You are not going to lose every day. Your body takes time to adjust. My advice would be to make sure you are drinking enough water and make sure you have the minerals you need.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @4031isaiah - Hey, how goes it??? Did you disappear on us? Everyone else???
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I'm here !! B)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    You change your name on us?
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Had another successful no binge dance night. Thats two in a row! So I feel like maybe this binge glitch is passing.
    Looking back, I'm seeing there were 6 months of what started as a slow backslide and ramped up to something I was helpless to control.
    The facts were that I had reached a college level weight which was possibly scary to me, I was struggling with an unhappy work situation, I was feeling strongly resentful about weight loss not bringing me the results I long for in the relationship arena, and the resparking of a fevered carb addiction Was freaking me out and piling on.
    None of these situations has changed, but I have been talking about it, strategizing daily, plugging away at keto so there were good days next to out of control ones.
    I think talking about it helped. I think I've gained a level of acceptance over what I don't have at this moment, and feel grateful for what has changed for the better...but it took all 6 months to recognize and accept that.
    At any rate, my expectations are adjusted and I feel okay with things as they are. I have hope that I can continue building things back up to a level where I want them to be, and that there is still hope for more personal connections over time. I'm trying to lower the level of urgency I impose on reaching my goals and give myself time to get where I want to go. To chill out about it all.
    And so the binging seems to be abating.
    What does that mean? Could I have stopped it sooner or did I need to live through it? Will I ever be able to process my feelings and struggles without having to tear myself down by acting out with food?
    I don't have the answer to that, but I'm hoping it's possible.
    Keeping calm to keto on!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @4031isaiah - Hey, how goes it??? Did you disappear on us? Everyone else???

I'm here. Only just saw your post now.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Friday! Wishing everyone a great Keto Weekend!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Got some good news today in keto world. An old work out/ diet buddy has resurfaced, wants to join a local gym where we used to meet up for work outs, and is all gung ho and in losing mode! In the past we have had good results, so I'm psyched! I might even join this week!
    Just when my motivation and spirits are lagging and succumbing to bad habits...
    Wow. Just in the nick of time, I think.
    I made it 2 weeks this time on keto before a pretty significant slip, so this time maybe I'll make it for a few months at least.
    That would do it!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    That's awesome! I wish I had someone like that in my real life to keep me motivated.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    That is so awesome! Congrats on the good health and all of its benefits.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Are there people out there still reading this thread that are committed to keto and it's working for you? If so, what would you say is the biggest key to your success?
  • JulieMeserve
    JulieMeserve Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm New to keto, started doing gluten free as of janurary due to low thyroid. I am trying to heal my body and get all these issues fixed, leaky gut, exhausted adrenals. I have lost 25lbs, but my weight has stalled, since lowering my thyroid meds or maybe it's in my macros I keep going over my protein. I restructured my macros this week and am cutting back on the dairy ie. cheese, lets see how it goes. Also working on getting my Water in. I am shooting for 64oz a day, since I am NOT a water drinker, this will be my major challenge. I am walking 2-3 x a week, a mile each day. My body did NOT like it when I tried walking each day, my weight would not budge and no change in my measurement either. So I had to change it up and change the goal to walk at least 2x a week for now. I am very active at home... caregiver to my hubby. I'm doing housework all day long and running errands. SO, I keep pretty busy, also try to take time out daily to just rest for about and hour in the afternoon, before I start dinner. So glad to see so many folks trying to get healthy! Keep up the good work!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @jfm1262 - Please be very careful going keto and not just low carb. A few months "hard core" keto combined with unplanned exercise, dehydration, and exhaustion actually tripled my TSH, and that was over a year ago, and I'm still working to recover my thyroid health. It works for some, but it can make things worse for others.

I went low carb 1/15/15. I went keto 2/18/15. I worked the outdoors crap March 26th - 29th. My bloodwork on 4/15/15 was when things went pear shaped. The previous bloodwork had been October 2014...and was IMPROVING, not getting worse.

I can't confirm exactly what happened or why - I just don't want anyone to have to go through what I'm dealing with and have dealt with. Watch your symptoms. My lowest weight was March 2015. I'm 20 pounds heavier now, and still working my way back.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'm currently adjusting my plan - I love being full keto in the am, and mostly keto at lunch, so dinners are my current playing field...and changing up supplements, too. I'm absolutely terrified to go back to workouts for fear of repeating the issues.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @jfm1262 - Please be very careful going keto and not just low carb. A few months "hard core" keto combined with unplanned exercise, dehydration, and exhaustion actually tripled my TSH, and that was over a year ago, and I'm still working to recover my thyroid health. It works for some, but it can make things worse for others.

I went low carb 1/15/15. I went keto 2/18/15. I worked the outdoors crap March 26th - 29th. My bloodwork on 4/15/15 was when things went pear shaped. The previous bloodwork had been October 2014...and was IMPROVING, not getting worse.

I can't confirm exactly what happened or why - I just don't want anyone to have to go through what I'm dealing with and have dealt with. Watch your symptoms. My lowest weight was March 2015. I'm 20 pounds heavier now, and still working my way back.

Something like that happened to me. I started keto exactly a year ago this month weighing in at my highest in the 160's. I lost a small handful of lbs in the first week or so, then strange things started to happen and weight loss stalled. I tried changing macros, adding salt, drinking broth etc. but instead of losing weight, I started to feel more tired, lower energy, emotional, sore feet and here I am, a year later 20lbs more than I'd ever weighed in my life trying not to see 190!

I'm baffled and convinced that either I did something seriously wrong or I'm one of the few people I've heard of that can't tolerate high fat/low carb.

My family doctor unexpectedly closed up shop and we have been struggling to find a new female doctor in our area that is still taking new patients. Hopefully we will get one soon and I can get some thyroid tests done to get this sorted out and figure out what I need to do to get my body back to a healthy weight.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    For me, I'm trying a graduated plan with 1:2:3 carbs for B:L:D, etc. That's the current plan. I've been loosely on plan most of the intervening time, and I've gotten my thyroid stuff under control.

It is possible that the low stomach acid stuff and not converting T4 to T3 hit upon an underlying condition that was only exposed by the stress of low carbing and keto, but honestly, other than that blip, nearly everything else about my body/spirit LOVES low carb like a house on fire!

I just have to figure out what kind of low carbing is best for me ... Check out Leanne Vogel on healthfulpursuit.com for more ideas on how to manage thyroid and adrenal issues while keeping low carb/keto... She's got great suggestions - and it helps with female hormone imbalances, and all of that. In fact, I need to break down and go listen again!