December Workout Check-IN: The Kettlebells Rock Edition!

Options

Replies

• christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    @kimiuzzell I quite often feel like that, unfortunately they're not the coworkers but tend to be either my teenage kids or the toddlers I look after. Particularly at this time of the year with end of yr stuff, Xmas and having to have profile books, reports and everything else done before the littlies finish for Xmas break. And oh joy I drew short straw and working through. Ah well hopefully gym will be quiet and I won't have to dodge guys or share the rack.

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Went to gym before work since I have to be there until after midnight. More people but I didn't feel too bad about using the squat rack for 3 lifts because during that time the power cage was free and no one came over at all. Wasn't until I had moved to the machines that someone else used one of them and it was a woman doing squats. Now I am doing my online stuff then will head out to work.

41 - Lower Hypertrophy

front squat 3x10 @ 85 and 1x9 @ 105 - not bad, got the heavy set even, wrist ached some
    curtsy lunge 4x10 @ 75 - not too bad though falter a little
    good morning 4x12 @ 75 - felt them at the end doing pauses for reps 8-12
    leg curl 4x12 @ 70 - went back and forth between this and extension, might increase Sat
    leg extension 4x9 @ 80 - not bad
    seated calf 4x12 @ 115 - felt these but did fine

Tis all for today.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    in a holding pattern. massage, form tips again, light lifting at around 60% of working weight, just to keep the groove from drying right up. did rows at 50lb for the first time in a long time, and have to admit that felt great.

therapist confirmed that erectors on the affected side were 'PISSED'. must be some kind of technico-medical term.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Monday Dec 14 - yoga. Stupid elbow still hurts during chaturanga and I got through 3 before having to modify to 8 point, then modify again. I have one of those sleeve things- impulse buy today. It does make a difference for everyday...we'll see. I was worried that medium wasn't going to compress enough, but it leaves marks on my bicep and forearm. Oooooh, I have arm muscles!

Tues SL

Squats 130 lbs 5x5 oomph, feeling heavy!
    BP 95 lbs 5x5 that last rep was a grind
    Row 90 lbs 5x5 not bad, but definitely feeling the increase

Went shopping with a girlfriend and met up with another for happy hour. What fun! I need to do that more than twice a year.

Wed- Rest day
    Grocery shopped, got a burger at Steak & Shake for lunch (YUM) cooked shrimp and grits for dinner, with a salad. I even made dessert and the bite I had was delicious.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    I decided to increase the weight of my Kettlebell. I'm starting a 5 week workout routine. Today I did
    Goblet squats- 3x5x25
    Kettlebell Swing DA - 10x7x25
    I will be working upto 200 swings by the end of the 5 weeks. 25 lbs did not seem heavy.
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Tonight's session
    Leg press 3x8 20kg SL, 2x8 30kg and 40kg double leg
    Leg extensions 3x12 15kg
    Hammy curls 3x12 15kg
    Front squat 1x12 30kg,2x12 35 kg
    Bench 1x12 27.5 kg 3x8 30kg
    Lat pulldown 3x8 33+half
    Seated row 3x8 33+half
    Skullcrusher 3x12 8 kg
    Oh press 3x10 9kg
    Db flyes 3x12 8 kg

Unusually busy in gym tonight
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    christch wrote: »
    Unusually busy in gym tonight
    Thursday is Late Night Shopping where we live. I am hoping that everyone will be OUT of the gym doing their last minute Christmas present buying.....leaving all the lovely equipment just for meeeeeeeee!!!!

@fanncy0626 I really do need to look into the Kettlebell stuff....sounds ideal for non-gym days.

• fanncy0626
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    @fanncy0626 I really do need to look into the Kettlebell stuff....sounds ideal for non-gym days.

I love it. My Nephew is a Strong First instructor. He never lifted weights like we do only Kettlebells. He swings a 95 lb Kettlebell. Looks like a body builder. Only 30 minutes a day everyday unless he feels he needs a day off. Read Kettlebells Simple & Sinister by Pavel. I like that when I go out of town I can take it with and do my workout wherever I'm at! It's kinda heavy in my suitcase though!!!
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    A kettlebell in your suitcase! Wow :smile:
  • fanncy0626
    edited December 2015
    Options
    :)
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    Ok.....checked online and have ordered the book. Won't be delivered til mid January but that's fine....watch this space and beware low flying kettlebells!!!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    PHUL Lower Power #2 - hey, at least I had music for a while

Squats (45x5/5, 75x5, 105x5, 135x5, 165x3 -- I upped my warm-up reps a bit)
    180 x 5/ 4/ 3
    cuz yep, I just... My legs... Nope. To a degree, I haven't actually given myself a good chance at recovery, though.

Deadlift (95x5, 135x5, 185x3)
    215x4, 220x4, 225x4

I almost had a 5th rep on the last set. I tried it. Got up to about knee height and possibly could've grinded it out, but my upper back was crazy rounded, and my right hip was already feeling pinchy so I decided not to push it. Not gonna injure myself a week away from christmas over a single rep. *shakes head*

Did my 46 hero manmakers. Took about 10 mins (don't have an exact time because my PHONE CRASHED UGH and my earphones died. Those two things may be related - but I was at 9:30 with 3-4 reps left to go so, yah). The challenge is fun in a way, but it's actually really been digging into my recovery here I think. Ah well, I'm more than halfway there, not gonna quit now!

Finished off with a superset of
    Leg press 135x15, 160x15, 180x15, 205x15
    Lying leg curl 40x10, 50x8, 50x8, 50x9

Who needs calves? I don't. I was running late. Plus, the last few reps of leg curls were engaging the calves, too >_>
  • kimiuzzell
    Options
    @krokador you are a machine!!!!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    @krokador you are a machine!!!!

I agree!
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Here's my SL workouts for the week. My New Year's resolution will be to start calorie cutting a bit so I can start seeing some definition.

Monday: All 5x5: Squats at 130lbs, Bench at 90 lbs, Row's at 90 lbs.

Tuesday: Ran 5 miles

Wednesday:
    Squats: 5x5 @ 135 lbs. - Felt good doing these.
    Overhead Press: 55 lbs. At first it felt hard but then managed to finish all sets with decent form.
    Deadlift: 1 x 5 @ 165 lbs. HEAVY! but finished. I hate getting callouses. Any suggestions on gloves? Do they really help?

Thursday (today): planning to run 4 miles.

• fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglifts 5X5 workout

Squat-1X5X 65/75/85/95/105/115, 5X5X 120
    Sumo squats-5X5X105
    BP-1X5X 65/70/75, 5X5X 80
    BR-5X5X 85

I felt good doing all of these but my form is still not perfect. It has been three times now and I am going to deload next time. Because of celebrating Christmas this weekend I will not be able to do Stronglifts until Monday. I will bring my 25 pound kettle bell along so that I can work out at the hotel.
  • Ariadnula
    Ariadnula Posts: 435 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Okay, back at it!

(I got a scare earlier this week, because my eyesight started to misbehave. The optician told me the pressure in my eye is too high and is referring me to the eye hospital. He didn't mention weights as a potential cause (who would, to a tiny 47 year old woman?) but a bit of googling got me scared that it's due to holding my breath? Anyway, until I go to the hospital I'll just back off a bit.)

I reduced the weight tonight, and tried not to hold my breath for too long or too hard at any point. I'm probably due a deload, anyway.

Squats: 5x5 @ 50kg - it was quite nice to really focus on form, make sure i went really deep
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 50kg
    OHP: 5x5 @ 14kg

I did some split squats too, then just wandered home, thinking I need to work out a new wee programme to mix things up a bit while I'm not pushing the weights as hard. And I think @krokador might have saved the day!

"What are these hero manmaker thingummies?" I thought, and did a bit of googling - and found the challenge! And ... those look like just the thing to keep me interested! I don't know that I'll manage even 30 but if I can do a few every day it has to be good. It'll be handy to have a decent bodyweight regime while I'm at my parents' house over Christmas, too. Cheers, krok!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    krokador wrote: »

Who needs calves? I don't. I was running late. Plus, the last few reps of leg curls were engaging the calves, too >_>

hehehe, Soon as I started PHUL it was like "but... I'm #teamnocalves" lol Though I do often feel the calves working on the leg curls too. But, I do the calf exercises most days anyways and go "meh" afterwards.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Ariadnula wrote: »

"What are these hero manmaker thingummies?" I thought, and did a bit of googling - and found the challenge! And ... those look like just the thing to keep me interested! I don't know that I'll manage even 30 but if I can do a few every day it has to be good. It'll be handy to have a decent bodyweight regime while I'm at my parents' house over Christmas, too. Cheers, krok!

I don't know if i posted the url to the actual video of the challenge here on on my feed lol, but since googling it doesn't give me the exact result, here's the one i have been following: https://www.facebook.com/trainaggressive/videos/1006882649372060/

It has a slight twist to it compared to the typical manmaker, where you strike the superman pose before doing the hand released push-up before the renegade row. And I think there's an extra squat, too. Seriously works basically EVERYTHING :)
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    krokador wrote: »

hehehe, Soon as I started PHUL it was like "but... I'm #teamnocalves" lol Though I do often feel the calves working on the leg curls too. But, I do the calf exercises most days anyways and go "meh" afterwards.

Haha, well, actually, I already have REALLY big calves for some reason (I do live in a very hilly area so even just walking works them like crazy). So I see the calf stuff as additional stuff I can skip when short on time. Like the curls and triceps, really. That and actually, they're always tight and pull on my knees and working them makes that worse. They are one of the main reason I got one of those egg shell foam rollers. I call it Dr. Calves. And yes, it is as painful as it sounds...
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    interim workout while i'm still messed up. just squats @ 65lb and a whole bunch of stretching and rolling.