Let's Count Up to 16 Weeks of Strength Building

Options

Replies

• happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Last week I was doing bent over rows and someone tried to give me corrections. I was eavesdropping before and he was talking about teaching a class (mostly women and light lifting) for 8 dollars/hour. He turned to me and said can I give you suggestions. I did it his way for my last 2 sets.

I came home and told my husband and watched the videos AGAIN- I was doing it right. He was either doing it wrong or thought I was doing a different exercise.
    I was polite but sooooo annoying
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    DDHFree - no recent photos. I just don't like the way I look because I see my body every day. The mirror is not my friend right now and neither is the camera.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    I am half way there to 16 weeks of strength training. I have no plans to stop hence the decision to count up to 16 weeks as opposed to down. I look forward to one day saying 52 weeks. I took my 8 week pictures and measurements.

Progress

Weight: from 132.2 lbs to 130.2 (loss of 2.0)
    Total fat loss: 5.8 lbs.

Measurements: Loss inches from abs and chest. Did not lose from neck, thighs, calves, hips or arms or I measured inconsistently. Not sure.

Lifts

Deadlifts from 80 to 93 lbs (+8)
    LATs from 37.5 to 55 lbs (+17.5 but only because I changed position from bench to floor)
    Shoulder Press from 37 to 43 lbs. (+6)

Once again, the pictures tells the story for me. I obviously did not lose much but I truly believe these 2 lbs was almost ALL fat. They are not as dramatic as from Week 0 to Week 4 BUT my after picture of my stomach is very telling. Thanks goodness for those photos or I might have found myself feeling a big discouraged with such a small loss and measurements.
    Also, my shoulder are starting to pop a bit.

One thing I was excited about is that a discomfort that I constantly felt when playing ball with my 13 year old is completely gone. Completely gone! We have not played since I started lifting. I kept saying to him the entire time on yesterday, “I FEEL NO DISCOMFORT”. I could not believe it. He would say "yeah, no discomfort but you're losing." I did not care that he won as I knew I had won in that moment.

Get real assessment: Okay, so I only lost 2 lbs and I am appreciative. But you guys, although my weight of 130.2 lbs is not that high compared to the average female, my body fat is freaking high. I am not talking about a number, I am talking about what I see in the pictures and in the mirror. I now know that I got that way from losing and gaining the same darn 10 to 15 lbs over and over again. I would lose fat and muscles because I did it all kinds of crazy ways -- of course I always gained back ONLY fat. So the results was fatter and fatter. My profile picture is 123 lbs 5 years ago (I was feeling great) but even that was just skinny fat that I’ve continued to lose and gain. I’ve made up my mind that this is the permanent change for me so I will take 2 lbs a month or less if I have to. I am learning so much by tracking my weight daily. Now when the scale goes up a pound or 2, I say to myself “Self, you have not eating 3,500 to 7,000 calories in excess to support a gain of 1 to 2 lbs. So relax.” And each time the weight just goes back down after a day or so depending on food or where I am in my cycle. I am losing FAT and keeping my precious muscles. I am learning how to eat such that I no longer need to go days on end with no food and ultimately end up binging. I am eating the foods that I love – I love peanut butter and tofu. Now I know how to include them both without sabotaging my efforts. I still eat such that it's not a deficit some days but I'm learning it's not the end of the world. I owe all you wonderful ladies so, so much for sharing the TRUTH. Finally, I having been given the truth. Although this is a thread of few in number, I am saying thank you to ALL because I read the old threads all the time. So much information. I am making these statements before accomplishing my goals because I finally believe that I am truly on my way to achieving a stronger, leaner body.

I would love to post the pics but I just can’t bring myself to do it. I still encourage you to take pictures because they are more affirming then my measurement and scale loss.

Let's keep going ladies!

I am really happy for you! About loss on the scale I noticed one thing that losing pounds doesn't give that toned look I am aiming for. As proof is always in the pics now I prefer that over scale before I lose my mind!! :D Congrats and thanks for sharing!!
  • mustb60
    Options
    Workout B
    Deadlift 80 lbs x 10
    Pullups - did negatives and band assisted pullups - Yay!!
    OHP 30lbs x 8

I am all green!! ;)
  • mustb60
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    SL workout today. I hope all this strength training is worth it. I wish I could see results sooner.

Squats: 5x5@110lbs. Good form so far. I getting down pretty deep these days.
    Bench Press: 5x8@ 75 lbs. I felt the burn.
    Bentover Rows: 5x8@ 75 lbs. Good enough form and these are not my favorite exercises but I'll keep at it.
    cardio: bike to and from work = 6 miles.

You are an inspiration for me. 6 miles biking after all that heavy lifting!! Praiseworthy indeed.
  • mustb60
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Squats 70.5 lbs 5X5

Bench Press 59.5 lbs 5X5

Barbell Row 66 lbs 5X5

Deloaded in squats after 12 days gap in lifting. Just was more focused on running and walk and got lazy on this side.

Machine workouts:

Lat. Pull down 33 lbs 10X3
    Triceps Pull down 33 lbs 10X1
    Shoulder press 33 lbs 10X3
    Leg extension 33 lbs 10X3

Cardio: Walk 8 km
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    mustb60 wrote: »
    Squats 70.5 lbs 5X5

Bench Press 59.5 lbs 5X5

Barbell Row 66 lbs 5X5

Deloaded in squats after 12 days gap in lifting. Just was more focused on running and walk and got lazy on this side.

Machine workouts:

Cardio: Walk 8 km

Thanks mustb60. And keep up the good work on your lifting!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    i'm lurking this thread so hope it's okay to chime in now and then. i'm going to be truthing, so please remember this is just personal truth, not global law.

dhhfree: i started lifting 2 years ago on the 'last 10 pounds' end of a weight-loss thing i had gotten into. my impetus for the weight loss was finding a 20-yo photo of me and realising 'i was THIN at 12oish!' i was always one of those 'just five more pounds' people, so it was a long-range reality-check about how i'd actually looked while i was busy daydreaming all the time about those 5 pounds. so. i got almost curious now that i'm 20 years older. 'get back to 120ish and see how it looks to you now, now that you're 49. because you were deluded in 1994'. i kind of almost just wanted to reality-check that reality-check i had gotten about my own 29-yo self, you know? the difference is that i started lifting when i was in the low 130s this time.

i did get my weight back down to the low 120's last year while i was on my first noob-lifter path. what i've learned from the past two years of doing that is that i'm NEVER going to get back that same body i wanted to reality-check myself on. there were bones in that picture, but not a lot else. even when i had deficited down to the low 120's, it was a totally different look. [and then i bulked back up before i really got used to it and made up my mind what i thought, but that's another story ;) i was on a tear to squat 135 so i pretty much ate arkansas]

so, out of all that, here's the part where you need to remember it's just my personal take: i'm not going to automatically say my new body looks better to me than my skinnyfat self who was 29 in the picture i found. i know that i'm almost 'meant' to say that, but meh. there were things about that 'slim' body that i really liked, actually, and they're just not going to happen with someone who lifts. there were things i disliked about it. and it's exactly the same with muscleme, at whatever weight.

idk; i kind of don't care as much about any of it now. or i care but it's like i care in an almost recreational way now - for fun. i think if i gave too much thought to it, i'd be in danger of reproducing exactly the same error i set out to check myself on: being so busy thinking about some other body that i don't have, that i don't really notice the actual look of the one i do have.

pretty long 2c worth, but those were my thoughts.
  • dcresider
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi all. I concur with @canadianlbs.I KNOW for a fact that I will never be the thin 115 lbs. college girl unless I totally starve myself and that's not really the look I'm going for, but the extra 5 or 10 lbs weight that I want to lose is reasonable for me. Heck if I can just get to 130 lb, I'd be quite happy, and that's still a struggle.

I'm typing out my workouts for the week so I can hold myself accountable. This will be make be stick to my workouts.

Sun: 11 Mile long run -DONE
    Mon: Stronglifts/ cardio rest day / bike to work and home - DONE
    Tues: ran 4 miles on the darn "dread"mill- DONE
    Wed: Stronglifts / 5 mile run scheduled.
    Thu: 4 mile run scheduled.
    Fri: Stronglifts
    Sat: 3 miler easy run / or REST DAY so I can run my 12 miler on Sunday.

Macros / Eating habits: It's that TOM so I'm feeling bloated, craving sugar and salt and carbs, etc. So far I have about 600 calories left for the day and I have a feeling I will eating all those calories up tonight.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Canadianlbs: I can totally relate to some of what you've shared. But I truly just want to be the best me I can be both inside and out.

dcresider: You are just killing it with the runs + the lifting. You go girl!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week 9
    Workout A

Squat
    Set 1: 80.2 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 78 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 78 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 78 lbs × 6
    Notes: Deloaded by 2 lbs after the 1st set so I could continue to improve on my form. I watch Alan Thrall's video again on squats and decided to give widen my stance just a bit and tighten back to stay more upright. Both seemed to work really great. I might have actually gotten close to *kitten* to grass. And I was able to get up a lot faster.

Bench Press
    Set 1: 58 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 58 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 58 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 58 lbs × 6
    Notes: Failed on sets 2 and 4 last time. But not this time. I did it! I wasn't sure if I be able to since my shoulders were so beat up from Monday's OHP.

Bent Over Row
    Set 1: 60.2 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 60.2 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 60.2 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 60.2 lbs × 6

I might stay at this weight for just a little longer for all 3 exercises.
  • dcresider
    Options
    Not a good day for me. I did not run like I was supposed to and StrongLifts seemed a bit difficult today. I'll probably stay at this weight this week.

Squats: 5x5@115 lbs. - I guess my run yesterday made it difficult to do my squats. My legs felt very tight but I managed to finish.

Overhead presses: 4x5@55 lbs. - Okay so I believe I was lifting 50 lbs on Monday (not 55 lbs like I thought). These were hard and my first set I could barely lift 4 reps.

Deadlifts: 1x5@ 155 lbs. - These are getting a bit more difficult but finished. I need some hand grips.
  • mustb60
    Options
    Today's work out :

Squats 32 kg/70.5 lbs( 5*5)

OHP 22 kg/48.5 lbs (5*5)

Deadlift 45 kg/99.2 lbs (5*5)

Machine workouts:

• DDHFree
    Options
    Way to keep going dcresider. You tweaked but you still worked toward your goals.
    Keep up the good work mustb60!
  • dcresider
    Options
    Ran 4.5 miles today. That's it. I'm keeping track of the macros and hopefully I won't go over tonight. Cross your fingers.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week 9
    Routine: Workout B

Deadlift
    Set 1: 94.1 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 94.1 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 94.1 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 94.1 lbs × 6

Lat Pulldown
    Set 1: 57.5 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 57.5 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 57.5 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 57.5 lbs × 6

Shoulder Press
    Set 1: 43 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 43 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 43 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 43 lbs × 6
    Another day of completing all sets and reps for the OHP. But the last 2 reps of the the last set was difficult. Not sure if I will increase yet.
  • happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Nice work!!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Mustb60,I just saw your progress pics. They are awesome and so motivating. Especially your notation that there was no scale loss and still you had such great progress. Keep up the great work!
  • dcresider
    Options
    Keep up the great work everyone. I ran 12 miles yesterday and boy was I tired the last mile. It's seriously mind over matter. Luckily, no more long runs are scheduled until race day since it's taper week and will have a shorter run next Sunday. Scheduled today: SL.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    Keep up the great work everyone. I ran 12 miles yesterday and boy was I tired the last mile. It's seriously mind over matter. Luckily, no more long runs are scheduled until race day since it's taper week and will have a shorter run next Sunday. Scheduled today: SL.

Excellent dcresider! Enjoy the tapering and look forward to hearing about your race. Is this your first race?