Set 3: 40 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 40 lbs × 6

Shoulder Press
    Set 1: 40 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 40 lbs × 6

Notes:
    I am so proud of my 40 lbs for the OHP considering I started out with 28.4 lb barbell, moved to two 15 lb dumbbells, then to 35 lb barbell. It's funny looking at my 35 lb barbell with ONLY two 2.5 lb plates. It look so weird but that's 40 lbs. So exciting.

I am now at a point where every exercise is challenging so I no longer need to decide if I should increase by 2.2 lbs vs. 5 lbs as I can stick with 2.2 lbs going forward.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    Week 5
    Routine: Workout B

Deadlift
    Set 1: 82.2 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 82.2 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 82.2 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 82.2 lbs × 6

Lat Pulldown

Shoulder Press

Notes:
    I am so proud of my 40 lbs for the OHP considering I started out with 28.4 lb barbell, moved to two 15 lb dumbbells, then to 35 lb barbell. It's funny looking at my 35 lb barbell with ONLY two 2.5 lb plates. It look so weird but that's 40 lbs. So exciting.

I am now at a point where every exercise is challenging so I no longer need to decide if I should increase by 2.2 lbs vs. 5 lbs as I can stick with 2.2 lbs going forward.

40lb OHP is way too impressive :) Keep going!!!
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Week 6
    Workout on Feb 1, 2016
    Routine: Workout A

Squat
    Set 1: 77.2 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 77.2 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 77.2 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 77.2 lbs × 6

Bench Press
    Set 1: 55 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 55 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 55 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 55 lbs × 6

Bent Over Row
    Set 1: 67.2 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 67.2 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 67.2 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 67.2 lbs × 6

Bent over row was tough. I might be compromises form. I find myself thinking that 5 would be the perfect # of reps. But then I'd have to add another set. Ran/walk 6.4 miles on Saturday . My legs were not happy with that decision.
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Week 6
    Workout on Feb 1, 2016
    Routine: Workout A

Squat
    Set 1: 77.2 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 77.2 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 77.2 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 77.2 lbs × 6

Bench Press
    Set 1: 55 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 55 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 55 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 55 lbs × 6

Bent Over Row
    Set 1: 67.2 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 67.2 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 67.2 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 67.2 lbs × 6

Bent over row was tough. I might be compromises form. I find myself thinking that 5 would be the perfect # of reps. But then I'd have to add another set. Ran/walk 6.4 miles on Saturday . My legs were not happy with that decision.

Good job progressing in all lifts. You might be exhausted once you reach the bent over rows, since it is the last exercise in the workout.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback sixpacklady. I am wondering if I need to lower the weight for that exercise as I don't want to harm my back. I find myself using more than my back muscles to pull the weight.
  • JesmineDNCS
    JesmineDNCS Posts: 41 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Way to go DDHFree! I struggle with the rows as well, mostly because i'm tired and then my form starts to go off. I reset after every pull though and try not to rush it...if not i feel the strain on my back :| Better to deload if you feel very strained , getting injured is worse than a slightly slower progress.

SQ: 47.5kg
    5x5

OHP: deloaded to 20kg-worked with the empty bar
    6,7,6,7,6. Increasing reps to go for 22.5kg next time

DL: 37.5kg
    1x5
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback sixpacklady. I am wondering if I need to lower the weight for that exercise as I don't want to harm my back. I find myself using more than my back muscles to pull the weight.

fwiw, in starting strength rippetoe said 'rows are not useful if they're done at too high a weight to maintain proper form'. it's pretty hard to 'feel' your lats working so i have never been sure that i was doing them right. but i do find that they're like the other upper-body lifts. the margin is tiny. if i'm even five pounds heavier than i should be, the muscles i'm supposed to be using can't handle it. with bench and ohp i just fail. but with rows, i think other muscles take over instead.

afaik there's nothing wrong with working whatever those muscles are instead of the ones that you're trying to work. but on the other hand it kind of defeats the purpose of doing them, right? i mean, most of the time i hate them. so if i'm putting myself through something i hate, i at least want to get something good back from it.

edit: i'll also mention there have actually been times when i loved them and they were my favourite thing. and i'll admit: every single time that was true, it was because i deloaded the weight to whatever would let me actually feel the muscles working. then they'd kind of snap into context for me and i'd turn into a fan.
  • JesmineDNCS
    JesmineDNCS Posts: 41 Member
    Options

fwiw, in starting strength rippetoe said 'rows are not useful if they're done at too high a weight to maintain proper form'. it's pretty hard to 'feel' your lats working so i have never been sure that i was doing them right. but i do find that they're like the other upper-body lifts. the margin is tiny. if i'm even five pounds heavier than i should be, the muscles i'm supposed to be using can't handle it. with bench and ohp i just fail. but with rows, i think other muscles take over instead.

afaik there's nothing wrong with working whatever those muscles are instead of the ones that you're trying to work. but on the other hand it kind of defeats the purpose of doing them, right? i mean, most of the time i hate them. so if i'm putting myself through something i hate, i at least want to get something good back from it.

edit: i'll also mention there have actually been times when i loved them and they were my favourite thing. and i'll admit: every single time that was true, it was because i deloaded the weight to whatever would let me actually feel the muscles working. then they'd kind of snap into context for me and i'd turn into a fan.

Thanks canadianlbs - i struggle with rows, have looked at some videos and it still feels super awkward, made worse by the fact that its the last one to do. They are not my favorite atm, will try one more week and then maybe deload, so I'll love them again :smile:
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Workout A:
    Barbell Squat 45 lbs
    Bench Press 35 lbs
    DB Single Arm Row 20 lbs
  • DDHFree
    Options
    JesmineDNCS and CanadianLbs, thanks for sharing your tips. Next time I do this exercise on Friday, I am going to deload to a weight that allows me to do the form correctly. Then I will see how things go when the next time I increase. Thank you both so much as you might have saved me from an injury waiting to happen.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Workout A:
    Barbell Squat 45 lbs
    Bench Press 35 lbs
    DB Single Arm Row 20 lbs

Way to go SixPackLady.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of very impressive progress going on!
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    3/02/16

Squats 32kg (5*5)

OVER.PRESS 22 kg(5*5)

DEADLIFT 42.5 kg(5*5)

1/02/16

Squats 29.5 kg (5*5)

BENCH PRESS 27 kg (5*5)

BrBll ROW 30 kg (5*5)

29/01/16

Squats 27 kg (5*5)

OVER.PRESS 22 kg(5*5)

DEADLIFT 40 kg(5*5)

20/01/16

Squat 27.5 kg (5*5)

BENCH PRESS 24.5 kg (5*5)

BrBll ROW 27.5 kg (5*5)

18/01/16

Squats 25 kg (5*5)

OVER.PRESS 20 kg(5*5)

DEADLIFT 40 kg(5*5)

13/01/16

Squats 20 kg (5*5)

BENCH PRESS 22 kg (5*5)

BrBll ROW 25 kg (5*5)
  • mustb60
    Options
    Failed at OHP at 24.5 kg today in second set so got back to 22 kg. Squat was tough as always but maintained the progress. In deadlift I felt I could do 3 sets but just followed the program in my stronglift app. Feeling damn tired now.
  • mustb60
    Options
    Monday workout. Missed friday last week.

Squat:
    40kgx5 for 4 sets
    42.5kgx5 for 1 set

OHP 22.5kg
    22.5kg x4,
    x3,
    x5,
    x3,
    x5
    i cant believe i got this up!!! My arms just hung limp after the last set and i had to ask for help to put the preloaded barbell back. The rack for it was the top shelf, i had difficulty unracking it down....let alone trying to rerack it back up above my shoulder height after!

DL 35kg 1x5

Woo hoo......getting stronger week by week!

Really impressed, especially with your squats. Bravo!
  • mustb60
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @happymom221 Wow!! Really great progress!!! You gave me hope to keep it going.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Keep going ladies! And don't be afraid to join in on the monthly goals, or workout reporting threads too - even if you don't want to duplicate reporting your own workouts, you can always ask questions on form or whatever, and the good people will be happy to give you the benefit of their experience. I've found it invaluable - I only started 5x5 SL in October and now am up to squatting 150lbs already - with a huge amount of support from people posting in this group.

In the meantime, you're doing great!!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    Keep going ladies! And don't be afraid to join in on the monthly goals, or workout reporting threads too - even if you don't want to duplicate reporting your own workouts, you can always ask questions on form or whatever, and the good people will be happy to give you the benefit of their experience. I've found it invaluable - I only started 5x5 SL in October and now am up to squatting 150lbs already - with a huge amount of support from people posting in this group.

In the meantime, you're doing great!!

Thanks Kimiuzzell. I will certainly explorer those areas.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week 6
    Routine: Workout B

Deadlift
    Set 1: 85 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 85 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 85 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 85 lbs × 6

Lat Pulldown
    Set 1: 42.2 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 42.2 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 42.2 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 42.2 lbs × 6

Shoulder Press
    Set 1: 42.2 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 42.2 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 42.2 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 42.2 lbs × 6

I had no problems doing my deadlifts. It looks like I might deadlift 100 lbs. sooner than I think.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Joining if you don't mind :D I started New Rules in Aug after sitting on my butt for 10 years. Loved it! Mostly just the lifting part. I stopped in Dec and started Stronglifts (way too many lunges for this old woman and knees started hurting). Love, love, love stronglifts!

Started Dec 19 and doing 3 days a week faithfully. Here are the stats so far(just going to show the last two days for all the workouts):

Jan 31
    Squat 165 pds (missed number 5 on the 5th set)
    Bench 65 pds 5x5
    Row 105 pds 5x5

Feb 2
    Squat 165 pds 5x5 (yay!!)
    OHP 60 pds 5x5
    DL 145 pds 1x5

I have to say I feel like a total bad a@@ lifting. I wish I had found lifting 20 years ago! I haven't really lost in pounds, but I have lost a ton in inches, and starting to see some definition. I also have found that during my period I feel a lot weaker lifting, and much hungrier (missed squat on the 31st). Then right after, I feel very strong.