Workout B

Deadlift 65 lbs
    Pullups - did inverted rows
    DB OHP 30lbs
  • happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome! I also started running Jan 2015. (Ran a slow 10k last August) I started lifting right from the beginning- all machines and over the year - one by one- I started swapping out for free weights. I started bench press in December but only when DH was with me so sometimes Dumbbells
    The deadlift is totally new to me. Two workouts ago- I started OHP with barbell. Before I was doing 30 lb Dumbbells - but I was shaky.

For sure- It made a difference. I tell people "lift heavy" make it worthwhile! I haven't done sit ups or planks but my abs are popping. Just lifting the weight up from the ground works those muscles.

Last week, I watched a 20 year old squat 135lbs with perfect form and I realized that I wasn't pushing myself enough.
  • JesmineDNCS
    JesmineDNCS Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Nice work everyone! Great to have you here, happymom221-and inspiring to hear you have lost so much! I'm hoping my abs will pop by end of this year!

I'm back in the swing of things - took a good 15minutes to warm up and stretch and foam roll those tight shoulders. Hours of hunching over the computer everyday :-1:
    Also tried a wider grip and high bar for squats - something must have worked cos I feel almost no pain other than DOMS this morning.

Workout B:
    SQ: 37.5kg 5x5
    OHP: 20kg 5x5...struggled a bit with the last set. Probably will repeat this one next time.
    DL: 32.5kg 1x5

I was also excited that the empty bar for warm up squats felt light!...even checked to see if I did pick up the right bar and not the smaller one. This is in comparison to 3 months ago when I was struggling with just bodyweight squats...yay I'm getting stronger :smile:
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Sixpacklady, congrats on Start of Week 2 and completing another workout. Keep up the great work.

Happymom, way to go. I have been running for many years – have done 6 marathons and many half marathons but I have never really incorporated weight training consistently. So very inspiring to here you say your abs are popping. I look forward to someday lifting my own body weight but let’s hope it’s at least 10 lbs lighter than it is today. LOL!

JesmineDNCS, 20kg on the OHP – you go girl! Love your excitement as you notice your gain in strength. I feel the same way. Don’t know if you are interested but I invested in a standup desk for work. So I sit/stand about 40/60. Even when I sit, it’s very erect and on a ball. I don’t even have a chair in my cubical. Not saying it’s for all but I feel better than when I was slouching over my computer all day, 5 days a week.

Stay the course ladies! Now Go Win!
  • JesmineDNCS
    Options
    Thanks for the tip DDHFree. Will look into it. Did workout A today.
    SQ: 40kg 5x5. It was hard....could feel my form going off kinda. Might repeat this next time rather than increase.
    Bench Press: 27.5kg 3, 4, 4, 4, 4...another repeat.
    Rows:30kg 5x5.

Its getting challenging...i am taking more time to complete now....compared to when i first started.
    All the best with your workouts ladies!
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi!
    I was looking for a thread exactly like this. Thank you for making it. I am just a newbie who wants to keep herself accountable and register the progress.
    Details about me: 1.Beginner
    2.5' 4" tall
    3.Weight 183 lbs
    4.Goals: To get down to 132 lbs and be strong.
    5.Program: SL 5X5

20/01/16

Squat 27.5 kg (5*5)

BENCH PRESS 24.5 kg (5*5)

BrBll ROW 27.5 kg (5*5)

18/01/16

Squats 25 kg (5*5)

OVER.PRESS 20 kg(5*5)

DEADLIFT 40 kg(5*5)

13/01/16

Squats 20 (5*5)

Bench press 22 kg (5*5)

BrBll ROW 25 kg (5*5)
  • mustb60
    Options
    So far I have been doing sumo squats but no power rack in my small apartment gym so have to just pick it up and put on my shoulders while doing squats. It was difficult today really, not the squatting but picking up part. I am looking for a better way.
  • happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    mustb60 wrote: »
    Hi!
    I was looking for a thread exactly like this. Thank you for making it. I am just a newbie who wants to keep herself accountable and register the progress.
    2.5' 4" tall
    3.Weight 183 lbs

20/01/16

BrBll ROW 25 kg (5*5)

Welcome!! How long have you been lifting?
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Welcome mustb60. Very impressed that you are making it work without a power rack.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Workout on Wednesday, January 20, 2016, 5:13 AM
    Week 4
    Workout B

Deadlift
    Set 1: 75 lbs × 8
    Set 2: 75 lbs × 8
    Set 3: 75 lbs × 8

Lat Pulldown
    Set 1: 35 lbs × 8
    Set 2: 35 lbs × 8
    Set 3: 35 lbs × 8
    Notes: Still trying to figure out the right set up using the econo pulley on this. Therefore, I went back to 35 pounds. Went from sitting back on my legs to now sitting on a bench which feels more natural

Shoulder Press
    Set 1: 35 lbs × 7
    Set 2: 35 lbs × 5
    Notes: Did much better than I anticipated with my empty 35 pound barbell. Thought I would just have to turn this into a 5 x 5… But with the two minute rest I was able to do much better on my last set. So I will probably repeat 35 lbs one more time aiming for perfect form at my minimum rep of 8.

I can't get over how much I am enjoying this program. Maybe I will be singing a different tune when it gets really, really heavy. But I actually look forward to the next workout every time.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    2.5' 4" tall
    3.Weight 183 lbs

20/01/16

Squat 27.5 kg (5*5)

BrBll ROW 27.5 kg (5*5)

18/01/16

Squats 25 kg (5*5)

OVER.PRESS 20 kg(5*5)

DEADLIFT 40 kg(5*5)

13/01/16

Squats 20 (5*5)

Bench press 22 kg (5*5)

BrBll ROW 25 kg (5*5)

Welcome to the group mustb60!!

This post might help you:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569/barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells/p1
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    Workout on Wednesday, January 20, 2016, 5:13 AM
    Week 4
    Workout B

Deadlift
    Set 1: 75 lbs × 8
    Set 2: 75 lbs × 8
    Set 3: 75 lbs × 8

Lat Pulldown
    Set 1: 35 lbs × 8
    Set 2: 35 lbs × 8
    Notes: Still trying to figure out the right set up using the econo pulley on this. Therefore, I went back to 35 pounds. Went from sitting back on my legs to now sitting on a bench which feels more natural

Shoulder Press
    Set 1: 35 lbs × 7
    Set 2: 35 lbs × 5
    Notes: Did much better than I anticipated with my empty 35 pound barbell. Thought I would just have to turn this into a 5 x 5… But with the two minute rest I was able to do much better on my last set. So I will probably repeat 35 lbs one more time aiming for perfect form at my minimum rep of 8.

I can't get over how much I am enjoying this program. Maybe I will be singing a different tune when it gets really, really heavy. But I actually look forward to the next workout every time.

I agree, heavy lifting is the only one I actually like, along with walks in the mall :)
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Sharing my excitement: I purchased a ticket to a SNBF fitness event on July 16th as a reward to myself. I am assuming I will have earned it by that time. I went to one show a long time ago -- they are very motivating to me.
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Sharing my excitement: I purchased a ticket to a SNBF fitness event on July 16th as a reward to myself. I am assuming I will have earned it by that time. I went to one show a long time ago -- they are very motivating to me.

That's sounds exciting!

I should also think of something like that to reward myself after 16 weeks :smile:
  • DDHFree
    Options

I should also think of something like that to reward myself after 16 weeks :smile:

Indeed. I have little small to medium things for weekly, then biweekly, then monthly type milestones. They start out so small like a movie, a song from iTunes, pedicure/manicure to bigger like family portrait, redeem gift certificates, etc. It's fun to scratch them off as I go along.
  • mustb60
    Options
    Hi!
    2.5' 4" tall
    3.Weight 183 lbs

20/01/16

Squat 27.5 kg (5*5)

BrBll ROW 27.5 kg (5*5)

18/01/16

Squats 25 kg (5*5)

OVER.PRESS 20 kg(5*5)

DEADLIFT 40 kg(5*5)

13/01/16

Squats 20 (5*5)

Bench press 22 kg (5*5)

BrBll ROW 25 kg (5*5)
    Hi!
    2.5' 4" tall
    3.Weight 183 lbs

20/01/16

Squat 27.5 kg (5*5)

BrBll ROW 27.5 kg (5*5)

18/01/16

Squats 25 kg (5*5)

OVER.PRESS 20 kg(5*5)

DEADLIFT 40 kg(5*5)

13/01/16

Squats 20 (5*5)

Bench press 22 kg (5*5)

BrBll ROW 25 kg (5*5)

Welcome to the group mustb60!!

This post might help you:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569/barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells/p1

Thanx sixpacklady!
  • mustb60
    Options
    Hi!
    2.5' 4" tall
    3.Weight 183 lbs

20/01/16

BrBll ROW 25 kg (5*5)

Welcome!! How long have you been lifting?

In December 2015 I started to lift but not regularly. Since mid January I am more consistent. However I feel so exhausted after each session I need to take a nap to recover myself. :D
  • mustb60
    Options
    Welcome mustb60. Very impressed that you are making it work without a power rack.

Thanks for encouraging DDHFree! I hope to find a solution this week. May be I would let go of sumo ones and do the regular squats. :|:|
  • JesmineDNCS
    Options
    Welcome mustb60. Its hard without a power rack....great progress so far! I started without one as well but got tired just hauling the weights up into position to perform the lifts. Hope you find a modification/solution soon.
    DDHFree...love the idea of the small rewards, nice way to keep the motivation on!
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Workout A:
    Goblet Squat 25 lbs
    DB Bench Press 36 lbs
    DB Single Arm Row 18 lbs