Let's Count Up to 16 Weeks of Strength Building

Options

Replies

• MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    @dcresider, I am sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family are dealing as best as possible.

Since I am doing maintenance/recomp, figuring out my calories is a bit of a trial and error process. I've been maintaining pretty well, but since starting SL5X5 I've noticed I need to up my calories or else I get fatigued. I am trying to meet my protein macro, but even though I eat very well, I come up short on protein. I've been looking into powders. I see that Quest offers a variety pack with a few different flavors. I may try that.

I tend to eat a majority of my calories at night. I like to make a big dinner, so I eat lighter for breakfast and lunch.

Last week was Week 4 for me. Here's how it went.

03/01
    SL5X5 - A

Squat: 5x5 105lb
    BP: 5x5 70lb
    Row: 5x5 85lb

03/03
    SL5X5 - B

Squat: 5x5 110lb
    OHP: 4/4/1/3/3 55lb (fail)
    DL: 1x5 130lb

03/05
    SL5X5 -A

Squat: 5x5 115lb
    BP: 5x5 75lb
    Row: 5x5 85lb (I was supposed to do 90lb, but I did 3 reps and it felt so sloppy, so I deloaded. I am going to deload more to 75lb and work my way up again. I want to make sure my form is on point. 85lb still felt a bit sloppy. Sloppy doesn't sound very safe.)
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    @Jackie0Marie - wow those numbers looks great. Keep up the great work. As for protein powders, you need to be careful on how much sugar those protein powders have. I use Gold Standard Whey Protein Powder Vanilla with one scoop having 24 grams of protein. I haven't tried any other flavors.
  • dcresider
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm tweaking my SL program and doing Lean-gains program. It's typically the same group of exercises with the exception that I don't have to do squats every workout, and have less sets but more reps.
    • Overhead press: 3x8 @ 45 lbs. Had to deload but I'm okay with that. It was tough doing 8 reps instead of the usual 5. At least I can still lift those overheads.
    • Deadlifts: 3x8 @ 125 lbs. I had to deload from 135 lbs. It was just too heavy to do 3 sets unlike SL with one set of five.
    • Assisted pull-ups: 3x8 @ level 15. Yeah, I suck at these but finished. I think I can progress to level 14 on Friday.
    • Cardio: bike to and from work a total of 6 miles. Rest day from running although I could feel those deadlifts.
    • One minute planks. I should have done one more. Oh well.

Food intake: so far so good with the intermittent fasting. I was hungry by noon and ate my protein laden meal. Still have about 643 calories left for dinner.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    Week 11
    Workout on Mar 7, 2016
    Routine: Workout B

Deadlift
    Set 1: 100 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 100 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 100 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 100 lbs × 6
    Notes: OMG, I deadlift 100 lbs. I was so, so, excited to do that. It just felt amazing.

Lat Pulldown
    Set 1: 62.5 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 62.5 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 62.5 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 62.5 lbs × 6
    Notes:

Shoulder Press
    Set 1: 45 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 45 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 45 lbs × 5
    Set 4: 45 lbs × 5
    Notes: And a new high for my overhead shoulder press. A solid 45 lbs. I know it's not much to many, but it's a heck of a lot to me. I am so getting stronger. Even though I could not do all of the reps for the last 2 sets, I felt strong and proud knowing how I've struggled with this exercise.

And now for the BEST news of all, I finally hit the 120's this weekend. I had to do a happy dance for this one because it has taken me 10 weeks to do so. My lowest was 130.2 but I tend to fluctuate up and down by 2 lbs. So, I was basically stuck at 131 on average for 3 weeks but I always hold on to my lowest low mentally -- as it keeps me going. LOL!

But I woke up on Saturday morning and wallah, 129.4 lbs. I will take it. Once I assessed further, I noticed that my average loss is actually 3/4 lb per week. I thought it was more like 1/2 lb per week.

I am just enjoying this program for so many different reasons!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

WOW, this is a lucky week for you!!

PR in deadlift and and a new low weight!! You are awesome :)
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    DDHFree - Awesome job on hitting your personal best! It feels so great when you do! You should be really proud. A 100lb deadlift is pretty awesome!!

I forgot my brace today at the gym (ugh!!). I have been running around like a crazy person the last couple of days as we are getting the floors in our house installed. I can't wait for it to be over!

Anyway, I only did 2 of the 3, will hit the gym tomorrow at lunch and do the barbell rows to finish it off.

SL's
    Squats - 5x5@160pds
    Bench - 5x5 @80pds - I did an extra set of the bench @85 pds 1x5 cause I was feeling guilty about not doing the barbell row today.

My hips are very sore, right in crease area, I think it's from the adjustment on the weekend trying to get them back in alignment. Hurts :(
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Workout A
    Barbell Squat 52.5 lbs x 10
    Bench Press 42.5 lbs x 10
    DB Single Arm Row 22.5 lbs x 8
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys. I think it's wonderful how everyone is continuing on and I can't wait to see some inspiring after photos eventually.
  • sixpacklady
    edited March 2016
    Options
    8 Week Checkin

Thought I would post my update after 8 weeks of starting this, but I have missed a few workouts here and there.

Starting Status: 1/11/16
    Waist at navel: 35.5"
    Weight : 128 lbs

Squat:25 lbs
    Deadlift:55 lbs
    Bench:30 lbs
    OHP:30 lbs

Today

Waist at navel: 34.5" (-1")
    Weight : 124 lbs (-4 lbs)

Squat: 52.5 lbs
    Deadlift: 80 lbs
    Bench: 42.5 lbs
    OHP: 32.5 lbs
  • DDHFree
    Options
    8 Week Checkin

Thought I would post my update after 8 weeks of starting this, but I have missed a few workouts here and there.

Starting Status: 1/11/16
    Waist at navel: 35.5"
    Weight : 128 lbs

Squat:25 lbs
    Deadlift:55 lbs
    Bench:30 lbs
    OHP:30 lbs

Today

Waist at navel: 34.5" (-1")
    Weight : 124 lbs (-4 lbs)

Squat: 52.5 lbs
    Deadlift: 80 lbs
    Bench: 42.5 lbs
    OHP: 32.5 lbs

Wow Sixpacklady, you doubled your squats and main thing as that you are steadily progressing with all of your lifts Excellent.

You make me day dream a bit when you post 124 lbs. That is really good. And thanks for sharing your progress as everyone's status remind me to trust the process. Just keep going and to be patient.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week 11
    Routine: Workout A

Squat
    Set 1: 78 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 78 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 78 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 78 lbs × 6

Bench Press
    Set 1: 59.1 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 53 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 53 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 53 lbs × 6
    Notes: Had to reduce the weight a little because there was a discomfort in my left shoulder as I descend the weight. Still felt it with the lighter weight but it was much better. My elbows do not flare when I lower the weights to my chest so not sure what's causing it. Several hours after lifting, I tried to move my body in such a way to see I could recreate the discomfort without weight but absolutely nothing, no matter how much moved my arms and shoulders.

Bent Over Row

Set 1: 60 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 60 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 60 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 60 lbs × 6
    Notes: Reduced these as well although only by 1.1 lb to be extra cautious. No discomfort.
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    Week 11

Squat

Bench Press
    Set 1: 59.1 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 53 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 53 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 53 lbs × 6
    Notes: Had to reduce the weight a little because there was a discomfort in my left shoulder as I descend the weight. Still felt it with the lighter weight but it was much better. My elbows do not flare when I lower the weights to my chest so not sure what's causing it. Several hours after lifting, I tried to move my body in such a way to see I could recreate the discomfort without weight but absolutely nothing, no matter how much moved my arms and shoulders.

Bent Over Row

Notes: Reduced these as well although only by 1.1 lb to be extra cautious. No discomfort.

You are doing awesome !! Try doing a few shoulder mobility exercises/stretches etc.
  • dcresider
    Options
    Hi all. Leangains/IF is going as well as can be expected. I'm hoping for the best.

Monday's workout gave me DOM from doing overhead presses and assisted pullups. I have't felt sore in a long time and it's a great feeling. It's funny that I never felt sore when I did SL, but adding these extra reps sure make a difference.

Today's workouts:
    • Romanian deadlifts instead of squats: 3x8 @ 95lbs.
    • Bench press: 3x8@ 70 lbs. Yep I can feel these.
    • Bentover rows: 3x8 @ 70 lbs. The extra 3 reps sure make these exercise more difficult.
    • 2 - One minute planks.
    • Cardio: bike to and from work a total of 6 miles.

Food intake: Day 3 of intermittent fasting. I had a nice steak dinner and so wan't as hungry this morning. I still miss breakfast in the morning but will have to eat it later in the day. :) I think I have about 900 calories left until dinner.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Thanks sixpacklady, I will give that a try and see if helps.

Dcresider, I hope the delayed eating works for you. Just know that your body does take a couple of weeks to adapt to no breakfast. I started out continuing to eat breakfast on the weekend but eventually stopped as my stomach adapted.
  • dcresider
    Options
    DDHFree - I'm planning to eat a big bowl of cereal on Saturday morning right before my half marathon. Can't wait. :)
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Can't wait to hear how the half marathon goes.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week 11
    Routine: Workout B

Deadlift
    Set 1: 100 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 100 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 100 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 100 lbs × 6

Lat Pulldown
    Set 1: 62.5 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 62.5 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 62.5 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 62.5 lbs × 6

Shoulder Press
    Set 1: 45 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 45 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 45 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 45 lbs × 5
    Notes: Rather been failing two sets this time only failed on the last rep of the last set.
  • dcresider
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks DDHFree. One more day until the half marathon.

I went to the gym today and did my lifts although I should haven't done the deadlifts. I was in gym mode and wanted to get the 3 lifts out of the way. I'm picking up my race packet via bicycle then go home. Hopefully it won't hurt my run tomorrow.

Oveheard Press: 3x8 @45 lbs
    Deadlifts: 3x8 @125 lbs
    Assisted Pullups: 3x8 @ level 15. I should have gone up but will do so next time.
    cardio: bike 5 miles (easy ride)
    2 One-minute planks
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hit the gym yesterday...felt really good for a change. I foegot my brace, so instead of ohp, i did benchpress instead.

Squats - 5x5 @ 165pds
    Bench - 5x5 @ 85pds
    Deadlift - 5x5 @ 160 pds

Hips were a bit sore again but shoulder was good.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Dcresider, Isca1,
    Both of you freaking awesome. Dcresider you not only ride your bike a few miles the day before the race to pick up your packet but you also do your heavy compound lift routine.

And Isca1, that is just some serious pounds girl!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week 12

Squat
    Notes: Finally did all the reps and sets with no issues. Still as recently as this morning's lifting session, I made an improvement that totally changed sets 2 through 4. Once I pushed from mid foot, getting up just felt so much more natural and the weight finally did not feel too heavy. I will certainly increase a little next time.

Bench Press

Set 2: 60 lbs × 5
    Set 3: 60 lbs × 5
    Set 4: 60 lbs × 5
    Notes: Finally bench pressed 60 pounds! I can't believe it! Sixpacklady, I did some stretching as you suggested and I guess it must have helped. I even did the stretching in between each sets and that experience the discomfort this time. I not only went back to my previous highest weight after having to deload last time but increased 1 pound to the solid round number of SIXTY!

Bent Over Row