Let's Count Up to 16 Weeks of Strength Building

Options

Replies

• sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Isca_1 wrote: »
    Missed a couple of sessions logging. Weight is getting heavy (started Dec 19 on this) not sure how the weight is going to increase, cause it's heavy.

Yesterday
    Squat - 180 pds 5x5 (last session I missed on the weights so i am thrilled)
    Bp - 70 pds 5x5
    Barbell row - 115 pds 5x5

I started doing some body pullups, I really want to be able to do a pullup, unassisted. One day.

Very impressive numbers!!!

I also want to do 1 pullup by the end of the year :)
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Good job sixpacklady. I like that you are still making plans for getting fit in spite of the basement work. Both you and Isca_1 will be giving me some tips someday on pull ups. :)
  • DDHFree
    Options
    First, let me start by saying that I realized this weekend that my rogue woman bar is actually only 33 lbs. as oppose to 35 lbs. which means that all of this time I’ve been lifting 2 lbs less than I thought. I figured worse case is that my app will show no change in weight when actually I increased my 2 lbs if I actually enter the same weight but add 2 lbs. to the bar.

Next, let me also say that I jogged/walked 9 miles on yesterday. I really only did it to make up for overeating calories the day before. I know there are other options but this is how I decided to combat it. It felt pretty good even though I haven’t done that in a while. I also hope it doesn’t hinder any muscle maintenance because my main goal is definitely muscles so no plans to do high cardio at this point in the journey.

Having said all of that, when I attempted to do my 1st set of bench press this morning at 62.4 lbs. OMG, I could barely lift it and failed on the 4 rep. I couldn’t believe how heavy it was. So I dropped it down to 60 lbs but then could only do 1 rep. “What’s wrong” I thought to myself. Then I wondered if the 9 miles had anything to do with my lack of strength even though it felt find during and after the miles. But then I thought, why was able to do my squats (2 lb. increase) with no problem. If anything should be a problem it should be legs not my arms. The bench press was so heavy that I thought about blowing off the rest of the workout and see what happens next time. But I couldn’t do that so I dropped the weight to 58 lbs. which I was able BP that just fine. BUT GUESS WHAT, the weight that I was trying to do initially was for my Pendlay Rows. I was looking at the row exercise on my app. I literally bench pressed 7 lbs. more than my last workout while failing on the 4th rep. I finally got it right and was okay failing on the 2nd rep of the last set given how much energy I had already exhausted doing the wrong weight. That was just so crazy and cost me so much extra time this morning. It’s over now and of course if I wasn’t such a newbie, it probably would have dawned on me before eventually seeing it on the app.

On good note though… I am on Week 8. Very exciting and hope everyone had a great weekend.

Week 8
    Routine: Workout A

Squat
    Set 1: 82.2 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 82.2 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 82.2 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 82.2 lbs × 6

Bench Press
    Set 1: 58 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 58 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 58 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 50 lbs × 4

Bent Over Row
    Set 1: 60.2 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 60.2 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 60.2 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 60.2 lbs × 6

Sorry so long...
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    First, let me start by saying that I realized this weekend that my rogue woman bar is actually only 33 lbs. as oppose to 35 lbs. which means that all of this time I’ve been lifting 2 lbs less than I thought. I figured worse case is that my app will show no change in weight when actually I increased my 2 lbs if I actually enter the same weight but add 2 lbs. to the bar.

Next, let me also say that I jogged/walked 9 miles on yesterday. I really only did it to make up for overeating calories the day before. I know there are other options but this is how I decided to combat it. It felt pretty good even though I haven’t done that in a while. I also hope it doesn’t hinder any muscle maintenance because my main goal is definitely muscles so no plans to do high cardio at this point in the journey.

Having said all of that, when I attempted to do my 1st set of bench press this morning at 62.4 lbs. OMG, I could barely lift it and failed on the 4 rep. I couldn’t believe how heavy it was. So I dropped it down to 60 lbs but then could only do 1 rep. “What’s wrong” I thought to myself. Then I wondered if the 9 miles had anything to do with my lack of strength even though it felt find during and after the miles. But then I thought, why was able to do my squats (2 lb. increase) with no problem. If anything should be a problem it should be legs not my arms. The bench press was so heavy that I thought about blowing off the rest of the workout and see what happens next time. But I couldn’t do that so I dropped the weight to 58 lbs. which I was able BP that just fine. BUT GUESS WHAT, the weight that I was trying to do initially was for my Pendlay Rows. I was looking at the row exercise on my app. I literally bench pressed 7 lbs. more than my last workout while failing on the 4th rep. I finally got it right and was okay failing on the 2nd rep of the last set given how much energy I had already exhausted doing the wrong weight. That was just so crazy and cost me so much extra time this morning. It’s over now and of course if I wasn’t such a newbie, it probably would have dawned on me before eventually seeing it on the app.

On good note though… I am on Week 8. Very exciting and hope everyone had a great weekend.

Week 8

Squat
    Set 1: 82.2 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 82.2 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 82.2 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 82.2 lbs × 6

Bench Press
    Set 3: 58 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 50 lbs × 4

Bent Over Row

Sorry so long...

I love your posts, so much analysis goes into it. Makes me think as well :)

Its a bummer that the bar weighed 2lb less, I always thought women's olympic bar weighed 35 lbs and men's 45lbs...

Congratulations on starting Week 8. Did you take pics for comparison? How do you look now - week 1 vs week 8?
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Thanks Sixpacklady. I am planning to take pictures and measurements at the end of my 8 weeks (on Sat or Sun). I will post on next Monday. I am really looking forward to that part.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week 8
    Routine: Workout B

Deadlift
    Set 1: 90.2 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 90.2 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 90.2 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 90.2 lbs × 6
    Notes: Deadlifts are definitely my strong suit. I seem to have no problem with them.

Lat Pulldown
    Set 1: 50 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 50 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 50 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 50 lbs × 6
    Notes: My position from the floor and overall form are really good on this exercise now. I can really feel Lats when doing it.

Shoulder Press

Set 1: 43 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 43 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 43 lbs × 5
    Set 4: 43 lbs × 5
    Notes: Overhead press and I are not friends. And we accept that we will never be best friends. But we've agreed to get along because were on the same team. Failed after 5 reps on last 2 sets. Will try again next time. Also that's with a 3 minute rest for last set as apposed to 2.5 minutes for the other sets.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    DDHFree - I agree. I really dislike OHP. I find it very hard. But, keep plugging away. Eventually, maybe you can be friends one day :D
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    @DDHFree - Keep plugging on those overhead presses. I finally am getting to 60 lbs after 10 months. It takes time for women to build up to those lifts.

Sorry I haven't posted and will try to be more consistent. As you recall, I'm training for a half marathon that's coming up in 3 weeks but also trying to incorporate the SL program (minus some squats for now).

Here's yesterday's workout:
    SL Bench press: 5x8 @ 70lbs.
    SL Bentover rows: 5x5 @ 70lbs.
    cardio: hill work on treadmill up to 2,5,8,12, 15% grade for 45 minutes.

Workout today since I can't do it tomorrow:
    SL Squats: 5x8 @ 110lbs.
    SL Overhead press: 5x8@55 lbs.
    SL Deadlifts: 1x8 @ 140 lbs.
    Cardio: easy 4 mile run / or none depending on how I feel. I don't feel burned out yet.
  • DDHFree
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Isca_1 wrote: »
    DDHFree - I agree. I really dislike OHP. I find it very hard. But, keep plugging away. Eventually, maybe you can be friends one day :D

Thanks Isca_1 and Dcresider. I will definitely keep trying to conquer them.

Dcresider, good luck on your half marathon training. You will have to let me know how it impact your strength training, if there is an impact. I've been a runner off and on for years.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week 8

Squat
    Set 1: 80 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 80 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 80 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 80 lbs × 6
    Notes: Decreased from 82.2 to 80 pounds after reading a wonderful article on progressive overload. Decided to focus a little more on my form. Felt great. http://bretcontreras.com/progressive-overload/

Bench Press
    Set 3: 58 lbs × 4
    Set 4: 58 lbs × 3
    Notes: Still failing with bench press but I will persevere!

Bent Over Row
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Meant to elaborate a little on my position not to move up so fast in weight. I found myself just getting so pumped about how much I could lift and what others are lifting. I’ve been focused on form since day one but I’ve also been increasing at times when my form was breaking if I reached my max # of reps for each set. But now, I am only going to increase if my form and reps are on point for all sets. So this means I will progress a lot slower in weight but I will use other notions such as time and form to progress until I am able to increase weight.

Having said that, I still think ALL of you amazing ladies who lifts some amazing amount of weight are a BadA$$. And I look forward to getting there with you someday.
  • dcresider
    Options
    Hey DDHFree, you are on your way. Now I may be training hard, but somehow it doesn't quite show in my appearance. I'm not satisfied with how I look since I still have a lot of fat storage that doesn't want to come off, but I'll keep on working on my eating habits. Exercise is easy. It's the food indulgences (for me) that are bad.

Updates on me: I did NOT work out yesterday and my body was telling me to rest, so I did.

Today's workout
    : partial SL workout out with BootCamp class. It was a byatch of a workout.
    SL: no squats, overhead press 5x5@55lbs, no deadlift because of the bootcamp class.
    Cardio: BOOTCAMP class working my whole body. I WILL BE SORE tomorrow. :)

Saturday: 20 mile bike ride.
    Sunday: 10 mile long run scheduled.
    Monday: rest / maybe SL workout.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    Hey DDHFree, you are on your way. Now I may be training hard, but somehow it doesn't quite show in my appearance. I'm not satisfied with how I look since I still have a lot of fat storage that doesn't want to come off, but I'll keep on working on my eating habits. Exercise is easy. It's the food indulgences (for me) that are bad.
    Great work dcresider. I know exactly what you mean about the appearance. But you are doing the right thing as all those little things are going to add up soon and you will see significant progress. My background is running -- marathons and half marathons. In hindsight, I now see that's why I ate so much and never really achieved my goal for any significant period. But at least you have the knowledge and know to be cognizant of it whereas I just ate.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week 9
    Routine: Workout B

Deadlift
    Set 1: 93 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 93 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 93 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 93 lbs × 6

Lat Pulldown

Set 1: 55 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 55 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 55 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 55 lbs × 6

Shoulder Press

Set 1: 43 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 43 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 43 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 43 lbs × 6

Notes: Finally did the overhead press without failing. OMG, I was so excited about this. But I will not increase until I do it once more. Then I will truly believe I'm doing it.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    I am half way there to 16 weeks of strength training. I have no plans to stop hence the decision to count up to 16 weeks as opposed to down. I look forward to one day saying 52 weeks. I took my 8 week pictures and measurements.

Progress

Weight: from 132.2 lbs to 130.2 (loss of 2.0)
    Total fat loss: 5.8 lbs.

Measurements: Loss inches from abs and chest. Did not lose from neck, thighs, calves, hips or arms or I measured inconsistently. Not sure.

Lifts

Deadlifts from 80 to 93 lbs (+8)
    LATs from 37.5 to 55 lbs (+17.5 but only because I changed position from bench to floor)
    Shoulder Press from 37 to 43 lbs. (+6)

Once again, the pictures tells the story for me. I obviously did not lose much but I truly believe these 2 lbs was almost ALL fat. They are not as dramatic as from Week 0 to Week 4 BUT my after picture of my stomach is very telling. Thanks goodness for those photos or I might have found myself feeling a big discouraged with such a small loss and measurements.
    Also, my shoulder are starting to pop a bit.

One thing I was excited about is that a discomfort that I constantly felt when playing ball with my 13 year old is completely gone. Completely gone! We have not played since I started lifting. I kept saying to him the entire time on yesterday, “I FEEL NO DISCOMFORT”. I could not believe it. He would say "yeah, no discomfort but you're losing." I did not care that he won as I knew I had won in that moment.

Get real assessment: Okay, so I only lost 2 lbs and I am appreciative. But you guys, although my weight of 130.2 lbs is not that high compared to the average female, my body fat is freaking high. I am not talking about a number, I am talking about what I see in the pictures and in the mirror. I now know that I got that way from losing and gaining the same darn 10 to 15 lbs over and over again. I would lose fat and muscles because I did it all kinds of crazy ways -- of course I always gained back ONLY fat. So the results was fatter and fatter. My profile picture is 123 lbs 5 years ago (I was feeling great) but even that was just skinny fat that I’ve continued to lose and gain. I’ve made up my mind that this is the permanent change for me so I will take 2 lbs a month or less if I have to. I am learning so much by tracking my weight daily. Now when the scale goes up a pound or 2, I say to myself “Self, you have not eating 3,500 to 7,000 calories in excess to support a gain of 1 to 2 lbs. So relax.” And each time the weight just goes back down after a day or so depending on food or where I am in my cycle. I am losing FAT and keeping my precious muscles. I am learning how to eat such that I no longer need to go days on end with no food and ultimately end up binging. I am eating the foods that I love – I love peanut butter and tofu. Now I know how to include them both without sabotaging my efforts. I still eat such that it's not a deficit some days but I'm learning it's not the end of the world. I owe all you wonderful ladies so, so much for sharing the TRUTH. Finally, I having been given the truth. Although this is a thread of few in number, I am saying thank you to ALL because I read the old threads all the time. So much information. I am making these statements before accomplishing my goals because I finally believe that I am truly on my way to achieving a stronger, leaner body.

I would love to post the pics but I just can’t bring myself to do it. I still encourage you to take pictures because they are more affirming then my measurement and scale loss.

Let's keep going ladies!
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    DDHFree - I guess it all has to come back to how you feel about yourself, how you feel like you project yourself. Only you can really make yourself feel happy about things. You are making strides and you are doing the things that will make you stronger and happier in the long run. Things didn't happen overnight, and change won't come overnight as well. (Or I keep telling myself this as well).
    You are doing great in journey, keep it up!

• sixpacklady
    edited February 2016
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    I am half way there to 16 weeks of strength training. I have no plans to stop hence the decision to count up to 16 weeks as opposed to down. I look forward to one day saying 52 weeks. I took my 8 week pictures and measurements.

Progress

Weight: from 132.2 lbs to 130.2 (loss of 2.0)
    Total fat loss: 5.8 lbs.

Measurements: Loss inches from abs and chest. Did not lose from neck, thighs, calves, hips or arms or I measured inconsistently. Not sure.

Lifts

Deadlifts from 80 to 93 lbs (+8)
    LATs from 37.5 to 55 lbs (+17.5 but only because I changed position from bench to floor)
    Shoulder Press from 37 to 43 lbs. (+6)

Once again, the pictures tells the story for me. I obviously did not lose much but I truly believe these 2 lbs was almost ALL fat. They are not as dramatic as from Week 0 to Week 4 BUT my after picture of my stomach is very telling. Thanks goodness for those photos or I might have found myself feeling a big discouraged with such a small loss and measurements.
    Also, my shoulder are starting to pop a bit.

One thing I was excited about is that a discomfort that I constantly felt when playing ball with my 13 year old is completely gone. Completely gone! We have not played since I started lifting. I kept saying to him the entire time on yesterday, “I FEEL NO DISCOMFORT”. I could not believe it. He would say "yeah, no discomfort but you're losing." I did not care that he won as I knew I had won in that moment.

Get real assessment: Okay, so I only lost 2 lbs and I am appreciative. But you guys, although my weight of 130.2 lbs is not that high compared to the average female, my body fat is freaking high. I am not talking about a number, I am talking about what I see in the pictures and in the mirror. I now know that I got that way from losing and gaining the same darn 10 to 15 lbs over and over again. I would lose fat and muscles because I did it all kinds of crazy ways -- of course I always gained back ONLY fat. So the results was fatter and fatter. My profile picture is 123 lbs 5 years ago (I was feeling great) but even that was just skinny fat that I’ve continued to lose and gain. I’ve made up my mind that this is the permanent change for me so I will take 2 lbs a month or less if I have to. I am learning so much by tracking my weight daily. Now when the scale goes up a pound or 2, I say to myself “Self, you have not eating 3,500 to 7,000 calories in excess to support a gain of 1 to 2 lbs. So relax.” And each time the weight just goes back down after a day or so depending on food or where I am in my cycle. I am losing FAT and keeping my precious muscles. I am learning how to eat such that I no longer need to go days on end with no food and ultimately end up binging. I am eating the foods that I love – I love peanut butter and tofu. Now I know how to include them both without sabotaging my efforts. I still eat such that it's not a deficit some days but I'm learning it's not the end of the world. I owe all you wonderful ladies so, so much for sharing the TRUTH. Finally, I having been given the truth. Although this is a thread of few in number, I am saying thank you to ALL because I read the old threads all the time. So much information. I am making these statements before accomplishing my goals because I finally believe that I am truly on my way to achieving a stronger, leaner body.

I would love to post the pics but I just can’t bring myself to do it. I still encourage you to take pictures because they are more affirming then my measurement and scale loss.

Let's keep going ladies!

This is really encouraging, congrats to you!!!

Yes, we are on the right path and lifting gives me hope that my dream body is somewhere near. Its not just the looks, it is about how you feel. For me picking up that barbell makes me more confident and more daring!!

Strength training makes me look forward to my future with a more positive note, and we all know that getting older is no walk in the park...I just hope that I won't get injured along the way and will have to stop training completely. So I keep reminding myself that form is key!
  • dcresider
    Options
    SL workout today. I hope all this strength training is worth it. I wish I could see results sooner.

Squats: 5x5@110lbs. Good form so far. I getting down pretty deep these days.
    Bench Press: 5x8@ 75 lbs. I felt the burn.
    Bentover Rows: 5x8@ 75 lbs. Good enough form and these are not my favorite exercises but I'll keep at it.
    cardio: bike to and from work = 6 miles.
  • sixpacklady
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Workout B
    Deadlift 80 lbs x 10
    Pullups - did negatives and band assisted pullups - Yay!!
    OHP 30lbs x 8
  • DDHFree
    Options
    dcresider, are you taking pictures? I just wonder if some results are already present but you are not noticing them.

Sixpacklady, you know I am chasing you in terms getting to the 120's. LOL! I too really enjoy lifting and getting stronger.

Isca_1, in spite of not being happy with my current level of fat. I really just love life and especially love me. LOL! As for not liking my over fat, that's not going to change and I really don't want it to. I'm afraid that if I did like it, I might not desire to change it. LOL! But seriously, I am one of those people who smile and say good morning to the flowers and trees just because I am so darn appreciative of the beauty that they display. But the fat has to go and I am just excited about the way I am attacking it. So excited because I am not walking around starving and losing muscles along with the fat.

I am enjoying doing it with you ladies! Have a wonderful day everyone!