Replies

• JesmineDNCS
    JesmineDNCS Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Workout B on Wed:
    Squat: 35kg
    Bench Press: 25kg
    Barbell Row: 27.5kg

I dont think I was properly warmed up when i started as I felt some stiffness over my R shoulder during the squats, or my form was off? Though it felt stiff from just the warmup sets with the empty bar. Felt a bit more limber as I progressed but woke up yesterday with a stiff neck and sore shoulder. Skipped today's workout as I still felt sore....bummer - I was looking forward to lifting today :neutral:

Just a question for y'all, how do you warm-up? I do 5 mins low intensity on the eliptical then start the warmup sets, but feel stiff and creaky for the squats, more on my shoulders than knees! Have incorporated some stretching in between sets but I dunno if I'm doing it right though.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    Sixpacklady, are you using a barbell for your workouts?

I am using barbells for DL. For the rest I was using DBs/KBs until I feel I can move up.
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Workout B on Wed:
    Squat: 35kg
    Bench Press: 25kg
    Barbell Row: 27.5kg

I dont think I was properly warmed up when i started as I felt some stiffness over my R shoulder during the squats, or my form was off? Though it felt stiff from just the warmup sets with the empty bar. Felt a bit more limber as I progressed but woke up yesterday with a stiff neck and sore shoulder. Skipped today's workout as I still felt sore....bummer - I was looking forward to lifting today :neutral:

Just a question for y'all, how do you warm-up? I do 5 mins low intensity on the eliptical then start the warmup sets, but feel stiff and creaky for the squats, more on my shoulders than knees! Have incorporated some stretching in between sets but I dunno if I'm doing it right though.

Hi JesmineDCS, I use the warmup from here : http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/09/warm-up/
    and also do warmup sets. I have a slipped disc and my shoulders are also tight, so try to do a good 15 min warmup before lifting. I still got a stiff upper right shoulder since yesterday after Wednesday's workout...
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies. JesmineDCS, I warm up by lightly jumping on my mini trampoline for 5 minutes. For the entire 5 minutes I am doing some type of big arm movements such as full circle rotation forward, backward, elbows pull to back, crossing of my legs as I jump. Basically jumping around like a silly kid for 5 minutes. But I also slowly warm up with low weights until I get to my weight for that exercise for today. I workout immediately upon getting out of bed so I must do a 5 minute full body warm up before touching the weights.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Workout B
    Deadlifts 70 lbs
    Lat Pull Down 37.5 lbs
    Bent over Row 50 lbs
    OHP 30 lbs

Assessment: So excited that I had a personal best with my deadlifts today. Also excited that I could do 3 sets of 8's for the OHP. I struggled with OHP last week but this week was better. I think I am going to have to move up to 35 lbs next time on OHP because I have no other options with dumbbell since I used 15's (for total of 30 lbs) this morning. The next step is the naked barbell which weighs 35 lbs. That will be a big struggle for me but I will keep doing it until I can successfully do 3 sets of 8.
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Nice work DDHFree!

Workout A
    Goblet Squats 25lb - moving to back squat with barbells next week
    Bench 35lbs
    Row - 15lbs
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Way to go sixpacklady. One workout at a time...
  • JesmineDNCS
    JesmineDNCS Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks sixpacklady and DDH for your input. I will work on a better warmup routine instead of my current random one. The nerdfitness one looks pretty thorough.
    Definitely sucks to hv injuries hinder my progress. Have a slipped cervical disc too.
    Workout B:
    Squats-32.5kg
    OHP-17.5kg
    DL-30kg.

Did not increase the weights for today, spent more time working out the kinks.

• sixpacklady
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    Way to go sixpacklady. One workout at a time...

Thanks DDHFree. One week down, 15 more to go :smiley:
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Thanks sixpacklady and DDH for your input. I will work on a better warmup routine instead of my current random one. The nerdfitness one looks pretty thorough.
    Definitely sucks to hv injuries hinder my progress. Have a slipped cervical disc too.
    Workout B:
    Squats-32.5kg
    OHP-17.5kg
    DL-30kg.

Did not increase the weights for today, spent more time working out the kinks.

Sorry to hear that you have slipped disc too.
    Yes, it is really important for people like us to warmup thoroughly and understand the form in the beginning, before the weights get too heavy.
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    One thing I tried yesterday was using a little bit of chalk on my hands for better grip strength. Made me feel I had better hold on the barbells. I used the kids sidewalk chalk :)
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Agree. I can't begin to count the number of hours I've spent studying Mark Ripptoe and Alan Thalls video. Sorry if I misspelled the names. I'm still working on form and imagine that it continues forever.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I had you both had a great weekend. I had a very active weekend but lots of fun especially Snow Mountain in Stone Mountain, GA. Felt like a big kid sliding down the mountain of snow.

On to business -- LOL

Workout on Jan 18, 2016
    Routine: Workout A
    Squat
    Set 1: 65 lbs × 10
    Set 2: 65 lbs × 9
    Set 3: 65 lbs × 9

Bench Press
    Set 1: 50 lbs × 5
    Set 2: 50 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 50 lbs × 5
    Notes: Really struggled on bench press. Will only aim for eight reps going forward.

Bent Over Row
    Set 1: 55 lbs × 10
    Set 2: 55 lbs × 8
    Set 3: 55 lbs × 8

So far, I can really say that I love this program.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Forgot to mention "Week 4" for me. So exciting. Never fear, this thread will go until all 3 of us complete Week 16.

Did you ladies see Sumiblue's results in her 1 year anniversary post? She inspired me even more. She made me believe that it just might be possible since we share the same stats (give a take a few) in height, starting weight, age, and calorie deficit. We even gave birth in our 40's. She look so amazing.
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Nice going DDHFree!

Yes, I am following Sumiblue. Very inspirational indeed!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    One thing I tried yesterday was using a little bit of chalk on my hands for better grip strength. Made me feel I had better hold on the barbells. I used the kids sidewalk chalk :)

I just bought some on Amazon this morning. Also bought squat shoes. I really hope I'm done spending money for awhile now and can just work the program.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Nice going DDHFree!

Yes, I am following Sumiblue. Very inspirational indeed!

Thanks sixpacklady. BTW, the reason I post my workout in such details is that I simply email them from the app. No way would am I trying to be that detail but since all I have to do is click a button, it makes it easy to copy and paste.
  • happymom221
    happymom221 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to find this group. The app and website Are geared toward men and I have found it difficult to find starting amounts for women. I have been lifting for a little over a year and DH isn't being supportive of the new program Today is my 3rd SL workout. He thinks I am going backwards because I decreased weight and only do "3 exercises". Anyway!!

Workout A
    Squat. 45lbs
    Bench press. 50lbs
    Row. 55 lbs

Workout B
    Squat. 50lbs
    OHP. 45 lbs
    DL. 55lbs

My goal is 5lbs loss (holiday weight)
    I lost 75 pounds in 2015
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Welcome happymom221. I think your numbers are very impressive. I too am very grateful for this group.

Wow, you lost 75 lbs last year. That's great! Did you strength train the entire time? If so, did it make a difference as oppose to not doing it and just losing weight?
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    I am so happy to find this group. The app and website Are geared toward men and I have found it difficult to find starting amounts for women. I have been lifting for a little over a year and DH isn't being supportive of the new program Today is my 3rd SL workout. He thinks I am going backwards because I decreased weight and only do "3 exercises". Anyway!!

Workout A
    Squat. 45lbs
    Bench press. 50lbs
    Row. 55 lbs

Workout B
    Squat. 50lbs
    OHP. 45 lbs
    DL. 55lbs

My goal is 5lbs loss (holiday weight)
    I lost 75 pounds in 2015

Welcome to the group happymom! Congrats on your 75lb loss!!

Good numbers on the lifts, esp. the OHP.