Let's Count Up to 16 Weeks of Strength Building

Options

Replies

• dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday everyone. I meant to post yesterday but got busy at work. So when do we want to start up the 16 week training? Has anyone decided on a date?

I haven't ran in a while and yesterday's workout consisted of SL only:
    • overhead press: 5x5@50lbs. Felt great doing these but won't be able to go up since I'll be on travel on Thursday.
    • deadlifts: 1x5@125lbs. Felt good doing these too.
    • assisted pullups: 3x8 @ level 13. Moved up a level. So far, so good.
    Today's workout: Cardio only
    • bike to work and back = 6miles
    • short run = 3.5 miles
    IF Day 12: fasting is going well and I'm sticking to my macros, although not sure how I'm going to deal with the fast during travel time. I may just restart when I get back so I can enjoy my time in Amsterdam. I got on the scale and lost weight: - 1 lb. Yay!
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Great job dcresider. Keep doing what you're doing and that 1 lb will soon be a total of 5 lbs. As for starting up the next session, I want to first finish my initial 16 weeks. For me that date is April 16th. I believe sixpacklady is only 1 week behind me so we can either start when she's done or when I'm done. Whatever works best for you guys.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week 13
    Routine: Workout A

Squat
    Set 1: 80 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 80 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 80 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 80 lbs × 6

Bench Press
    Set 1: 60 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 60 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 60 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 60 lbs × 6

Bent Over Row

Set 1: 60 lbs × 6

All of these exercises and sets when well so I will increase on all next time. Also, no more shoulder discomfort and no more weird feeling in lower back. Fixed shoulder issue by taking Sixpacklady's advise on stretching. I'm sure the deloaded also helped. Fixed lower back issue by correcting my form on the squat and deadlifts.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    Great job dcresider. Keep doing what you're doing and that 1 lb will soon be a total of 5 lbs. As for starting up the next session, I want to first finish my initial 16 weeks. For me that date is April 16th. I believe sixpacklady is only 1 week behind me so we can either start when she's done or when I'm done. Whatever works best for you guys.

@dcresider , when will you be back from Amsterdam? I am flexible and can start the next 16 week phase any time after Apr 16th.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Assessment:
    I am very happy that things are progressing albeit slow for some successes and a little faster for others. But progressing nonetheless.

I was planning to report my same 129.4 lbs which I hit 3 weeks ago. I was just so thrilled to be under 130. But I awoke this morning and hit new low of 128.4. The FAT loss is so weird. I was not expected to see anything since 1) just ended my cycle and 2) heading into ovulation week. I bloat during both of these phases. But without fail, after ovulation there is always a loss; however, it obviously happened before this time. I thought I had a predictable cycle going on but maybe not.

Last assessment I mentioned how fat I still looked at 130.2. Well, things are really starting to turn around. I can finally wear a tank top again and people not know I have a pooch. I still have it but I have been sucking in my stomach for as long as I can remember – and I am sure I will continue to do so. However, my body fat was so high that even sucking it in did not give the illusion of a flat stomach so I have been hiding in big sweaters all winter and now very loosely fitted tops. Although I still have about 10 to 12 lbs of body fat to lose, things are getting back and I am very pleased.

One challenge that I have is that I still love my cookies. But I have learned that if I eat the organic low fiber junkie kinds, that I eat way too many and I have to compensate by either eating less the next day or doing extra cardio. So now I try to be very cognizant of that and either decide to do one of those things or get off my butt and make some amazing healthy, high protein cookies. They taste great, they make me full, and they are so nutrition that I can and have eaten them for dinner. But I need to keep them on hand because my 3 year old daughter loves them too.

I can honestly say that I can continue to do what I am doing for life as I do not feel deprived and I enjoy my workouts. But let me be very real and say that I sure as heck would rather have more calories to eat but I take comfort in knowing that I can increase to maintenance level + workout calories once I reach my goals.

Nothing too AMAZING but I am stoked about my shoulders so here are couple of snippets as promised. The light spot is from the camera. Also, one shoulder is higher than the other because I was doing my best to hold the phone in 1 hand. I am not posting an embarrassing before picture.

byau7dr3wjvb.jpg
    o9s8qm37jzvf.jpg

Let's keep going ladies!

Your weight and assessment is extremely similar to my own. For myself, I use IIFYM so I eliminates the guilt factor about what I eat and all the mind games that go with it.
    Keep killing it!
  • dcresider
    Options
    Hi ladies. I'll be back on April 4th but we can definitely start up after the 16th if that works for everyone plus it will give me some time to get back into shape. I won't have access to any gym equipment at our hotel so I'll be SOL. Meanwhile, I'm hoping to get a lot of walking and bicycling in and hoping some activity will be enough for the 10 mile race I have scheduled the day after we get back. LOL!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    giusa wrote: »

Your weight and assessment is extremely similar to my own. For myself, I use IIFYM so I eliminates the guilt factor about what I eat and all the mind games that go with it.
    Keep killing it!
    Thanks for the feedback Giusa. I also do IIFYM. I also love the no guilt factor. I can't express enough how freeing it feels to eat the foods that I want to eat and still achieve my goals.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    Hi ladies. I'll be back on April 4th but we can definitely start up after the 16th if that works for everyone plus it will give me some time to get back into shape. I won't have access to any gym equipment at our hotel so I'll be SOL. Meanwhile, I'm hoping to get a lot of walking and bicycling in and hoping some activity will be enough for the 10 mile race I have scheduled the day after we get back. LOL!

Okay, we will start another 16 week round on Monday, April 18th. I will start a new thread for us on that day.

Dcresider, I hope you have an amazing trip to Amsterdam!
  • dcresider
    Options
    DDHFree - thank you for your well wishes and April 18th works for me.

Today's workout: SL
    • Squats: 5x5 @95 lbs. Great form and well below parallel. We'll see how well I do when I get back. :smiley:
    • Bench Press: 5x5 @ 85 lbs. So hard but finished all five.
    • Bentover Rows: 5x5@ 75 lbs. Easier than last week.
    • cardio: 20 minutes of 1:1 interval runs; bicycling: 6 miles.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    DDHFree - thank you for your well wishes and April 18th works for me.

Today's workout: SL
    • Squats: 5x5 @95 lbs. Great form and well below parallel. We'll see how well I do when I get back. :smiley:
    • Bench Press: 5x5 @ 85 lbs. So hard but finished all five.
    • Bentover Rows: 5x5@ 75 lbs. Easier than last week.
    • cardio: 20 minutes of 1:1 interval runs; bicycling: 6 miles.

Wow, you are strong Dcresider! I really can't imagine bench pressing 75 lbs. You go girl!
  • dcresider
    Options
    DDHFree - I'm getting stronger, now if only it will physically show. I know it's a slow process and I'll keep working on it.
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Today's Workout

Barbell Squat 57.5 lbs x 8
    Bench Press 45 lbs x 8
    DB Single Arm Row 22.5 lbs x 8
  • DDHFree
    Options
    DDHFree - I'm getting stronger, now if only it will physically show. I know it's a slow process and I'll keep working on it.

I tell you that it definitely feels slow to me as well but only in comparison to the way I've lost in the past. But check this out, I came across an old spreadsheet from 2014 where I recorded my measurements at 126 lbs. Well, my current measurements are lower at 128.2 than they were at a lower weight of 126. So yes, this is slower BUT yields better results. I continue to think about all the positive things that I am experiencing. I am learning how to manage my eating such that I am not hungry, love my food, and still losing weight. This is huge plus because WE will have much better idea of how to do this when we reach our goals and start maintenance. In the past, I could not wait until whatever diet and exercise program I was following were over so I could have this food and that food again. Also, so I could stop killing myself with cardio. I would go so far as to write a plan that I will now eat these foods but only at this time and should only have to do this much cardio to maintain. It has been 12 weeks now that I've been doing this and have lost a total of 7.6 lbs. Well, that would have felt like a slap in the face while following my previous plans. Instead, I aspired to lose at least 1 lb. per week but aimed for 2 or more if I could. And I did but it was short lived. I now see just how insane that was for someone my size. I was losing precious muscles all that time in addition to fat. And boy was I happy when I could fit into my cute clothes even if it only lasted for a few months.

You guys, I sincerely believe that this the right way FOR ME! Mainly because I don't need to change anything when I am at goal except to eat a bit more. I don't have this feeling of excitement about what I can eat and how I can stop doing hours of cardio when I meet my goal. I just look forward to feeling AMAZING in the clothes that I love, feeling strong and confident. Mostly, I look forward to being able to maintain my fitness and get on about my life. There are other things that I want to dedicate my time to but I've always been too busy trying to figure out how to lose this weight and keep it off.

I know I am going on and on but this is so HUGE for me. I have searched and searched and searched for something that works and I am excited that this might be it. So, because of this, I am willing to get there slowly. Especially considering how many years have gone by already and I've yet to get there. So, hang in there with me you guys. We are all going to do it together. Dcresider, this long reply is really more like therapy for myself not some crazy preachy sermon to you. LOL!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Today's Workout

Bench Press 45 lbs x 8

Way to go Sixpacklady! You are hanging in there with those 8 reps. :)
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Today's Workout

Bench Press 45 lbs x 8

Way to go Sixpacklady! You are hanging in there with those 8 reps. :)

Thanks @DDHFree . I am looking forward to the 4 X 6 , so that I can start lifting some bad *kitten* weights :)

You are spot on (as always) in your previous post. This way of lifestyle change is something we can definitely live with. The fact that I look forward to those workouts is a big change for me, and this is coming from someone who used to dread workouts!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week 13
    Routine: Workout B

Deadlift
    Set 1: 100 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 100 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 102.2 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 102.2 lbs × 6

Lat Pulldown
    Set 1: 65 lbs × 6

Shoulder Press
    Set 1: 46.1 lbs × 5
    Set 2: 46.1 lbs × 5
    Set 3: 46.1 lbs × 4
    Set 4: 46.1 lbs × 5
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Week 13
    Routine: Workout B

Deadlift
    Set 1: 100 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 100 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 102.2 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 102.2 lbs × 6

Lat Pulldown
    Set 1: 65 lbs × 6

Shoulder Press
    Set 1: 46.1 lbs × 5
    Set 2: 46.1 lbs × 5
    Set 3: 46.1 lbs × 4
    Set 4: 46.1 lbs × 5

Impressive progress!!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week 14
    Routine: Workout A

Squat
    Set 1: 81.1 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 81.1 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 81.1 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 81.1 lbs × 6
    My 1 lb increase went ago for this exercise but I do no t like squats.

Bench Press
    Set 1: 62.2 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 61.1 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 61.1 lbs × 5
    Set 4: 61.1 lbs × 5
    These were so hard. I feel like I am never going to get anywhere on this exercise. Tried to go up 2 lbs but had to make it 1 lb instead.

Bent Over Row
    Set 1: 61.1 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 61.1 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 61.1 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 61.1 lbs × 6

So, although Bench Press and OHP are my hardest, I have to say that I dislike squats the most of all the exercises. I no longer dislike OHP as I just want to get stronger on both the BP and the OHP.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    DDHFree - you are doing great. Just keep increasing what is comfortable with you :D OHP is my yucky lift as well. I find it very difficult. Just keep plugging away, eventually we will get it.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I have been training a new person at work, so I have had limited computer time for mfp. That is why I haven't kept up with posting on this group, however, I have kept up with my SL. :)

Past previous two weeks:

3/13:
    SL5X5 - A

Squat: 5x5 125lb
    BP: 4/5/4/4/4 80lb
    Row: 5x5 85lb

3/15
    SL5x5 - B

Squat: 5x5 130lb
    OHP: 3/4/3/3/4 55lb (I was starting to get sick, I was feeling overly weak.)
    DL: 1x5 140lb

3/18
    SL5x5 - A

I was getting over a fever. I decided to deload a bit and take it easy.
    Squat: 5x5 125lb
    BP: 5x5 70lb
    Row: 5x5 80lb

3/20
    SL5x5 - B

Squat: 5x5 130lb
    OHP: 5x5 55lb
    DL: 140lb

3/22
    SL5x5 - A

Squat: 5x5 135lb
    BP: 5x5 75lb
    Row: 5x5 85lb

3/24
    SL5x5 - B

Squat: 5x5 140lb
    OHP: 4/4/3/5/5 55lb (I started at 60lb, I failed massively, so deloaded)
    DL: 1x3 150lb (fail) 1x5 145lb

3/26
    SL5x5 - A

Squat: 5/4/5/5/4 145lb (OVER my body weight!)
    BP: 5x5 80lb
    Row: 5x5 90lb

3/29
    SL5x5 - B

Squat: 5x5 145lb
    OHP: 5x5 55lb
    DL: 1x5 145lb (I attempted 150lb and couldn't. I don't know if I was just so tired from squat/ohp and/or I didn't eat well enough the previous day and day of.)