DDHFree wrote: »
    Week 12
    Routine: Workout A

Squat
    Set 1: 78 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 78 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 78 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 78 lbs × 6
    Notes: Finally did all the reps and sets with no issues. Still as recently as this morning's lifting session, I made an improvement that totally changed sets 2 through 4. Once I pushed from mid foot, getting up just felt so much more natural and the weight finally did not feel too heavy. I will certainly increase a little next time.

Bench Press

Set 1: 60 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 60 lbs × 5
    Set 3: 60 lbs × 5
    Set 4: 60 lbs × 5
    Notes: Finally bench pressed 60 pounds! I can't believe it! Sixpacklady, I did some stretching as you suggested and I guess it must have helped. I even did the stretching in between each sets and that experience the discomfort this time. I not only went back to my previous highest weight after having to deload last time but increased 1 pound to the solid round number of SIXTY!

Bent Over Row
    Set 1: 60 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 60 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 60 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 60 lbs × 6

Awesome DDHFree!!!

My last Friday workout:

Barbell Squat 52.5 lbs x 10
    Bench Press 45 lbs x 8 - nice 2.5 lb jump here.
    DB Single Arm Row 22.5 lbs x 8
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    DDHFree, Sixpack lady, Isca_1 - Just to let you all know, you ladies rock. I may not say it all the time but I do read your posts and am so inspired by your dedication and hard work. May all this hard work pay off in the end.

So this weekend was my hilly Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon. We had great overcast weather and perfect 50 degree temperature. I'm not a fast runner by any means but I had a PR beating my old time by 15 minutes at 2:15. The last mile was b y a t c h especially with a slight uphill but I made it. I felt great afterwards (a bit tired) but no aches or pains or blisters. It's a great feeling and accomplishment and hope to beat that time with another marathon some time in the Fall. I like to give credit to the strength training for my PR.

Now to concentrate on this strength training and get some results on my waistline and fat loss. I suspended my IF eating this weekend and have started back up today. Feeling okay this morning but not as hungry as last week. Coffee is helping and 50 minutes to lunch. LOL!!

Workout for the day: SL variation
    • squats: 5x8 @ 95 lbs. I'm deloading big time just because my legs might feeling a bit tight.
    • bench press: 5x8 @ 75 lbs.
    • barbell row: 5x8 @ 75 lbs.

Any suggestions on revamping my workouts? I currently lift 3 days a week doing more reps than what SL had me doing. Should I lift 4 days or just stay where I am and increase weight every workout?
  • DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Week 12

Barbell Squat 52.5 lbs x 10
    Bench Press 45 lbs x 8 - nice 2.5 lb jump here.
    DB Single Arm Row 22.5 lbs x 8

Sixpacklady, I'm really impressed that you've been able to continue to lift heavy for 8 to 10 reps. I still remember making the decision to lower my reps and add a set because I just couldn't fathom being able to continue and actually do 8 reps. But you are doing a great job.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    DDHFree, Sixpack lady, Isca_1 - Just to let you all know, you ladies rock. I may not say it all the time but I do read your posts and am so inspired by your dedication and hard work. May all this hard work pay off in the end.

So this weekend was my hilly Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon. We had great overcast weather and perfect 50 degree temperature. I'm not a fast runner by any means but I had a PR beating my old time by 15 minutes at 2:15. The last mile was b y a t c h especially with a slight uphill but I made it. I felt great afterwards (a bit tired) but no aches or pains or blisters. It's a great feeling and accomplishment and hope to beat that time with another marathon some time in the Fall. I like to give credit to the strength training for my PR.

Now to concentrate on this strength training and get some results on my waistline and fat loss. I suspended my IF eating this weekend and have started back up today. Feeling okay this morning but not as hungry as last week. Coffee is helping and 50 minutes to lunch. LOL!!

Workout for the day: SL variation
    • squats: 5x8 @ 95 lbs. I'm deloading big time just because my legs might feeling a bit tight.
    • bench press: 5x8 @ 75 lbs.
    • barbell row: 5x8 @ 75 lbs.

Any suggestions on revamping my workouts? I currently lift 3 days a week doing more reps than what SL had me doing. Should I lift 4 days or just stay where I am and increase weight every workout?

Thank you for the very encouraging words dcresider.

And a big congrats on the marathon! Also congrats on hitting a new PR -- awesome! Those who run, knows that the feeling of accomplishment can feel almost overwhelming sometimes.

Dcresider, I wish I could offer some suggestion for your strength training but I just don't feel qualified when to doing both long distance running + strength training.
  • dcresider
    Options
    @DDHFree - I'm taking a break from running to concentrate on strength training, so any advice will be helpful from you or anyone else. Thanks for the input.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    @DDHFree - I'm taking a break from running to concentrate on strength training, so any advice will be helpful from you or anyone else. Thanks for the input.

In that case, I will share my 2 cents. :) I personally think you should stay with where you are at 3 days per week. My program actually recommends 8 to 10 reps so it's a good rep range. The only reason I am no longer doing 8 to 10 reps is I found it to be too difficult. But in hindsight, I may not have been patient enough. So instead of 3 sets of 8 to 10, I changed to 4 sets of 6 so that I could still get relative the same volume. My body seems to be responding well. As long as you are progressing then you should be fine with 3 days. I love that I only need to lift 3 days per week.

Rep reference ... program I'm following: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/?awt_l=G020g&awt_m=3xZ76fq9120ExV5.
  • dcresider
    Options
    @DDHFree - that's the program I've been following. I'll just keep up with it and see what happens.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    @DDHFree - that's the program I've been following. I'll just keep up with it and see what happens.

So cool. It doesn't seem like many are following his program. But I just like this guy's approach. I know some people feel he's trying to advertise his stuff but I don't mind paying a little money to someone who's at least selling the truth. Heck, I've spent enough on the crazy crap over the years. I love the way this guy just puts it all out there in such a humorous way.

Dcresider, you got this! I now know the missing link for me was not eat at a calorie deficit and not lifting in a manner than preserves muscles. We've got this. We just need to stay the course, try to stay injure free and we will have a testimony before we know it.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

So cool. It doesn't seem like many are following his program. But I just like this guy's approach. I know some people feel he's trying to advertise his stuff but I don't mind paying a little money to someone who's at least selling the truth. Heck, I've spent enough on the crazy crap over the years. I love the way this guy just puts it all out there in such a humorous way.

Dcresider, you got this! I now know the missing link for me was not eat at a calorie deficit and not lifting in a manner than preserves muscles. We've got this. We just need to stay the course, try to stay injure free and we will have a testimony before we know it.

I am also following the same program which was originally suggested by you, and I really like it. I am able to finish the workout in under an hour which includes a 15 min warm up and some stretching at the end. I do not like to spend more than an hour on workouts. So far it has been working well for me.

Workout B
    Deadlift 85 lbs x 10 reps (3 sets)
    Pullups - did negatives and band assisted pullups
    OHP 35lbs x 10 reps (3 sets)

I had a terrific workout today and I am finding that even if I find the first set a little difficult with the increased weight, the 2nd and 3rd sets are easier. Maybe it is the neuro connection kicking in? This gives me increased confidence to increase weights every workout, given that correct form is maintained.
  • dcresider
    Options
    Okay, so in order to gain muscle I have to eat all my macros including activities. Let's just use today as an example: MFP allots me 1270 calories and I earned 200 activity calories, so I should eat 1470 calories today?

But if I use IIFYM calculator, my TDEE (maintenance) is 1648 calories if I moderately workout 5x a week.

This is where I get confused. Should I build muscle first, then cut calories later? I mean how long would I have to wait?

Ugh, so frustrated after seeing my race photos. I look huge.
  • DDHFree
    Options

I am also following the same program which was originally suggested by you, and I really like it. I am able to finish the workout in under an hour which includes a 15 min warm up and some stretching at the end. I do not like to spend more than an hour on workouts. So far it has been working well for me.

Workout B
    Deadlift 85 lbs x 10 reps (3 sets)
    Pullups - did negatives and band assisted pullups
    OHP 35lbs x 10 reps (3 sets)

I had a terrific workout today and I am finding that even if I find the first set a little difficult with the increased weight, the 2nd and 3rd sets are easier. Maybe it is the neuro connection kicking in? This gives me increased confidence to increase weights every workout, given that correct form is maintained.

Sixpacklady, you are progressing so well. So inspiring to read your comment about the 2nd and 3rd set. I feel like I've had that experience too. I also like that his program is only 3 sets and that you don't squat everyday.

• MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Previous week progress. I've been slacking in posting.

03/07
    SL5X5 - B

Squat: 5x5 115lb
    OHP: 3/5/5/3/4 55lb (Fail)
    DL: 1x5 135lb

03/09
    SL5X5 - A

Squat: 5x5 120lb
    BP: 5/3/3/5/4 80lb (Fail)
    Row: 5x5 80lb

03/11
    SL5X5 - B

Squat: 5x5 125lb
    OHP: 5x5 55lb (FINALLY!!!)
    DL: 1x5 135lb (I tried 140lb and it wasn't feeling right, so deloaded)

• DDHFree
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Okay, so in order to gain muscle I have to eat all my macros including activities. Let's just use today as an example: MFP allots me 1270 calories and I earned 200 activity calories, so I should eat 1470 calories today?

But if I use IIFYM calculator, my TDEE (maintenance) is 1648 calories if I moderately workout 5x a week.

This is where I get confused. Should I build muscle first, then cut calories later? I mean how long would I have to wait?

Dcresider, the main thing for you, just like myself are the following:
    1. Eat at a caloric deficit (This will cause you to lose fat)
    2. Build Strength with compound lifting and progressive overload (This will cause you to maintain muscles while you lose fat.)
    3. Eat enough protein to support your body.
    You could do things in a different order like build muscle first then cut but I sense that you are not the type of person who will be okay with that approach. I am making assumptions here but you sound like the type who is not okay with gaining a little fat while also gaining muscles and then do a cut. If I am reading you correctly, you'd rather drop as much fat as possible while preserving the muscles that you already have. From what I now understand, you don't gain muscles while eating at a caloric deficit. But you will gain a little bit IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER like myself and many others. But if you lift weights from the start and preserve the muscles that you have, then you'll lose mostly, if not all fat. As the fat falls off, you will still have a more toned physique because those muscle are now being revealed. I trusted others on this board and decided to lift from the start. I can tell you that I am already glad that I did. My shoulders are starting to look so sexy. I will upload a photo during my next 4 week result posting.

As for TDEE vs the calories that MFP show, I'm no expert on those. But this is what I can tell you, all you really need to do is try a number that's suggested and stick with it for a month. Then you just need to see if you have a loss. If not, then make adjustments. I know I have good number because I only lose about .5 a week with an average of about .75 a week. So, I am not losing too fast and my muscles in my shoulders are starting to show. I eat 1200 calories plus my workout calories. Nearly every day I walk for 100 calories so I can at least eat 1,300 calories. I am only 5'2" and started out at 136 lbs. Some will say 1200 is too little but obviously not so little since I’m not even losing at least a 1 lb per week. And I am okay with that. In other words, I don't always lose every week and overall, on avg, my loss is LESS THAN 1 lbs. So, 1,200 is not too little for me. I actually had a RMR test done for my number but at least 1 or 2 sites gave approximately the same number as the test.

In terms of your macros, the standard recommendation for protein is 1 gram for each pound of body weight. But I eat .6 to .8 for each pound of lean muscle mass – that’s just me but you should probably follow the standard for this one.

Someone may have more to add but those are the only 3 things you need to do. By the way, I understand 100% what you mean about what you see in your race photos. Others might attempt to lecture about that and talk about body image, etc but I am just saying that I get it. I had similar feelings when I saw my 8 week photo results. I could see a small reduction in fat but I still looked fat. Some people seem to think that means you are unhappy and for some that’s true. But for me I am not even almost unhappy as I just know what I like and what I don’t like.

However, almost 4 more weeks later (total of 12 weeks), I am already starting to feel a little sexy. I can only imagine how I will feel another 12 weeks from now. In general Dcresider, I made a mental note that based on my starting weight and height that I am giving this 1 year to achieve what I hope to achieve. However, I expect to look great in size 2 to 4 in a total of 24 weeks if things keep progressing the way that they have been. But in terms of looking great naked with definition, I am giving myself an entire year. It may happen before then but I decided to error on side of longer so I am not disappointed. But here's the truth Dcresider, after seeing what is happening with my body as I continue, I am actually pretty darn hooked and will do it for 2 years if that's what it takes. Heck, I have spent much longer than that doing the wrong things. This program is already rewarding me with strength and now watching these small changes happen right before my very eyes is so darn exciting. As I go through this journey, I am thinking lifestyle, lifestyle, lifestyle. It excites me so much to know that when I am done losing fat, the only thing I need to change is eat a little more of what I am already eating. I am not starving or craving some food that I cannot have because some dumb diet said so. Jay (the guy who wrote the program we are following) just changed my life when he explained the nutrition from a lose fat/gain muscle perspective.

Again, you've got this as long as you do steps 1, 2, and 3. But the key (at least for me) was find a way to do those steps such that it's enjoyable and you do not feel hungry all the time or deprived. I have to make smart food choices with only 1,200 + workout calories. But I've found a way that works for me. And you can too.

Sorry this is so long but I hope some of it is helpful.
  • dcresider
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I too am petite at 5'1" so any kind of gain whether muscle or fat makes me feel big (look big, whatever)! But I'd rather have muscle than fat so I will keep moving forward.

1. Eating a caloric deficit - It's obvious that for me to lose any weight, I should eat less or in my case, don't use up all my activity calories. I haven't seen a loss in a while and it's probably because I'm going over my daily calories.
    2.Strength training- Currently doing compound lifts and progressively increasing weights but need to be more consistent. This usually isn't a problem unless I'm on travel (going to Amsterdam for 10 days next week)
    3. Protein - 30 % of my calories go to protein (approximately 95 grams), although I'm not consistent: sometimes I eat more, sometimes I eat less. I do use whey protein powder for my post workout smoothies.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I too am petite at 5'1" so any kind of gain whether muscle or fat makes me feel big (look big, whatever)! But I'd rather have muscle than fat so I will keep moving forward.

1. Eating a caloric deficit - It's obvious that for me to lose any weight, I should eat less or in my case, don't use up all my activity calories. I haven't seen a loss in a while and it's probably because I'm going over my daily calories.
    2.Strength training- Currently doing compound lifts and progressively increasing weights but need to be more consistent. This usually isn't a problem unless I'm on travel (going to Amsterdam for 10 days next week)
    3. Protein - 30 % of my calories go to protein (approximately 95 grams), although I'm not consistent: sometimes I eat more, sometimes I eat less. I do use whey protein powder for my post workout smoothies.

Based on your review of 1, 2, and 3, you are absolutely on track. Just keep going and don't let anything stop you. And you are kicking my but with the amount of protein. Just fine tune your calories to be extra sure that you are TRULY eating at a deficit.

Amsterdam sounds so exciting!
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options

Dcresider, the main thing for you, just like myself are the following:
    1. Eat at a caloric deficit (This will cause you to lose fat)
    2. Build Strength with compound lifting and progressive overload (This will cause you to maintain muscles while you lose fat.)
    3. Eat enough protein to support your body.
    You could do things in a different order like build muscle first then cut but I sense that you are not the type of person who will be okay with that approach. I am making assumptions here but you sound like the type who is not okay with gaining a little fat while also gaining muscles and then do a cut. If I am reading you correctly, you'd rather drop as much fat as possible while preserving the muscles that you already have. From what I now understand, you don't gain muscles while eating at a caloric deficit. But you will gain a little bit IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER like myself and many others. But if you lift weights from the start and preserve the muscles that you have, then you'll lose mostly, if not all fat. As the fat falls off, you will still have a more toned physique because those muscle are now being revealed. I trusted others on this board and decided to lift from the start. I can tell you that I am already glad that I did. My shoulders are starting to look so sexy. I will upload a photo during my next 4 week result posting.

As for TDEE vs the calories that MFP show, I'm no expert on those. But this is what I can tell you, all you really need to do is try a number that's suggested and stick with it for a month. Then you just need to see if you have a loss. If not, then make adjustments. I know I have good number because I only lose about .5 a week with an average of about .75 a week. So, I am not losing too fast and my muscles in my shoulders are starting to show. I eat 1200 calories plus my workout calories. Nearly every day I walk for 100 calories so I can at least eat 1,300 calories. I am only 5'2" and started out at 136 lbs. Some will say 1200 is too little but obviously not so little since I’m not even losing at least a 1 lb per week. And I am okay with that. In other words, I don't always lose every week and overall, on avg, my loss is LESS THAN 1 lbs. So, 1,200 is not too little for me. I actually had a RMR test done for my number but at least 1 or 2 sites gave approximately the same number as the test.

In terms of your macros, the standard recommendation for protein is 1 gram for each pound of body weight. But I eat .6 to .8 for each pound of lean muscle mass – that’s just me but you should probably follow the standard for this one.

Someone may have more to add but those are the only 3 things you need to do. By the way, I understand 100% what you mean about what you see in your race photos. Others might attempt to lecture about that and talk about body image, etc but I am just saying that I get it. I had similar feelings when I saw my 8 week photo results. I could see a small reduction in fat but I still looked fat. Some people seem to think that means you are unhappy and for some that’s true. But for me I am not even almost unhappy as I just know what I like and what I don’t like.

However, almost 4 more weeks later (total of 12 weeks), I am already starting to feel a little sexy. I can only imagine how I will feel another 12 weeks from now. In general Dcresider, I made a mental note that based on my starting weight and height that I am giving this 1 year to achieve what I hope to achieve. However, I expect to look great in size 2 to 4 in a total of 24 weeks if things keep progressing the way that they have been. But in terms of looking great naked with definition, I am giving myself an entire year. It may happen before then but I decided to error on side of longer so I am not disappointed. But here's the truth Dcresider, after seeing what is happening with my body as I continue, I am actually pretty darn hooked and will do it for 2 years if that's what it takes. Heck, I have spent much longer than that doing the wrong things. This program is already rewarding me with strength and now watching these small changes happen right before my very eyes is so darn exciting. As I go through this journey, I am thinking lifestyle, lifestyle, lifestyle. It excites me so much to know that when I am done losing fat, the only thing I need to change is eat a little more of what I am already eating. I am not starving or craving some food that I cannot have because some dumb diet said so. Jay (the guy who wrote the program we are following) just changed my life when he explained the nutrition from a lose fat/gain muscle perspective.

Again, you've got this as long as you do steps 1, 2, and 3. But the key (at least for me) was find a way to do those steps such that it's enjoyable and you do not feel hungry all the time or deprived. I have to make smart food choices with only 1,200 + workout calories. But I've found a way that works for me. And you can too.

Sorry this is so long but I hope some of it is helpful.

This advice is right on spot. I am 5 '2 and I don't get a lot of calories to play with. Only way I can assure that I am creating a deficit, without getting too hangry is by skipping breakfast. I am not very hungry in the mornings, so it has been working really well for me.

I lose 1 lb every 2-3 weeks and I am happy with that. I want to maintain muscle and even hoping to gain a bit as I am a beginner. As you said, one year is a good timespan to reach my goal body and we are all in this together. We could start another 16 week challenge to keep us going. I am planning to continue the same program for another 16 weeks and will see where I am at and go from there.
  • dcresider
    Options
    DDHFree and Sixpacklady - I'll take you up on that challenge and maybe we can start after April since I'll be away. I'll also have my diary open so people can give me their input and also hold me accountable with my eating habits. Let's see how badly I want this. :)

BTW, I'm back with my IF and not as hungry in the morning as I was last week. That's a good sign. Also, I skipped my run today just because I wasn't in the mood. I plan on lifting tomorrow and running a short easy 4 miler afterwards.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love reading this post! It is so refreshing to see people be so positive, educational and doing it in a way where it just makes the other person feel good.

Thanks everyone, really made a really cruddy day into a pleasant one!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Sounds like an awesome plan ladies! I look forward to continuing on with you and celebrating our accomplishments!

Isca_1 thanks for such positive feedback.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week 12
    Routine: Workout B

Deadlift

Set 1: 100 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 100 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 100 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 100 lbs × 6

Lat Pulldown
    Set 1: 63.6 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 63.6 lbs × 6
    Set 3: 63.6 lbs × 6
    Set 4: 63.6 lbs × 6
    Notes: Increased by 1.1 pound

Shoulder Press
    Set 1: 45 lbs × 6
    Set 2: 45 lbs × 5
    Set 3: 45 lbs × 5
    Set 4: 45 lbs × 5
    Note: Could not get to 6 on the last 3 sets. Look forward to trying next time.