OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Be careful Diane, but have a great time!!

Up getting ready to head out of town. It was pretty windy here last night. Going to be 40 by 5 and yesterday we were in the mid 60's. Got to love the South!!

I earned 13k steps yesterday, my highest yet!!

Karla
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies-
    Brief stop before the day erupts-
    Diane- stay safe but also enjoy the fresh powder. I still don't know what the weather is going to do here- it is changing hourly.
    Rick and I walked last night- WOW was the wind cold. We were moving for about 30 minutes and I walked about 4500 steps and I'll take it. Had breakfast for dinner and the cold really drained me. All that calorie burn from trying to stay warm. I really didn't dress quite warm enough so I've learned later in the day need an additional layer and heavier globes.
    Karla- and All vent anytime- we are here for each other
    Janet- like you I've stockpiled wrapping paper. I've found I love to get it at Hobby Lobby- nice and heavy. I didn't send many cards this year- just things too nutty.
    Patti- our social butterfly at exercise class- how's Mom doing?
    Vikki- are you getting the snow storm?
    MaryLynn- it is so nice that you found us.
    Lisa- the workouts that you do- are you going to a gym or do you have something set up at home?
    Jeannette- I think I may have missed where you hail from- are you expecting bad weather this weekend too?
    Need to run but I have pretrack breakfast and lunch. Meg wants to go shopping when I get out of work, she has three job interviews next week- not sure if I told you she got downsized from the Shrine so Rick and I will be walking tomorrow, weather permitting.
    Enjoy the day.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Diane - so glad you made it home safely and are headed back out. have fun! Enjoy the snow! I am so jealous. We went to Vermont for two weeks over Christmas and only skied two days due to lack of snow. Drive carefully!

Karla - glad you are back from the ledge! have a good drive! I have never been to Alabama. Would love to see it! Yikes, shingle eye? What are the symptoms?

MaryLynn - interesting set of stats. The carbs seem high and the protein seems low for my preferences. How long did you live in Vietnam?

Vikki - how is Jonas treating you?

Patti - that turkey sounds great! Hope you had a good date night!

Janet, enjoy your sleep this weekend!

I am hanging at Starbucks before my osteopath appt. it's relaxing! I hope to get lifting and yoga in today...we will see. Having some ladies over for drinks tonight, so I have to save some calories!

-Lisa

• bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies......my back is progressing nicely. I'm so happy that I can stand up straight. I am also able to walk without pain in my groin, hip, upper leg, and hamstrings. I'm so grateful for my surgeon!

I certainly hope that the east coast is spared from the amount of snow that is expected. I haven't turned on the news yet, so I'm uncertain of what has already fallen. Good luck for all who live in the area. Have a great day, everyone.

Bert
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Diane, stay safe and I will anxiously await your return on Tuesday. Hope you miss the worst of the snow on your drive.

Cindy, I admire you for getting out in the cold. I avoid it at all costs and walking when it is cold out, unless my car is broken down, just ain't happenin for this warm weather gal. Love breakfast for dinner but Edd doesn't even like breakfast for breakfast, so that never happings.

Karla, we all have our moments when we just can't see the point of doing this another day. Glad you vented and got over it. Enjoy your time with Glenn and your brother, be safe on the roads.

Janet, you are expecting a lot more snow that I am, so glad you are stocked up and staying in. Here's a thought, maybe you could use this as an excuse to do nothing, just enjoy the snow thru the window and watch some old movies. But I know you, you will be doing the whirling dervish thing on your cupboards, lol.

I am heading to the gym. Could find no good reason not to go. I just hate having to go out to a cold car. Am always glad when I get to the gym but just wish I didn't have to go out at all. Will be checking in with Mom to see if she wants anything from the grocery. It looks like we are getting little to no snow here. We are at the northern edge of the band. Back later
    Patti
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Good morning all! I hope you are warm and safe today. Yesterday was a “down” day for me after a rough night the previous night. On the bright side I was still able to get myself to do a few things like school work and a couple of light household chores. I often will just sit and watch movies or shows all day because I just can’t make myself do anything. I am thankful that this time around wasn’t quite so intense.

First I want to say what I’ve learned in regard to the numbers MaryLynn posted. Currently, they give different numbers for men and women. The numbers for calorie intake from her source are closest to what they suggest for moderately active women until you get to the 50 age range; they now still recommend a minimum of 1800 calories even for a sedentary lifestyle for ages 50 and up.

As far as protein, carbohydrates, and fat go, the recommendations are by percentages. Lisa, you were right that the protein is on the low end. Generally it is thought that diets should consist of 10-35% protein and if you are working out, particularly if you are trying to build muscle, your percentage should be on the higher end of that. Carbohydrates should be 45-65% of calories consumed and fat 20-35%. One thing is clear, it is not a good idea to leave any of these nutrients out of the diet. We use carbohydrates as energy and they are a very important part of keeping the body functioning properly. If you are interested in learning how to figure out your percentages let me know; I don't want to overstep my bounds here.

I have information that fiber should be around 25 grams daily until you reach about 50 then down to 21 grams, though I am not certain why you would want to decrease that unless you have issues.

Sodium recommendation is down to 1500 mg a day.

One thing I will point out here is that for years they’ve been blaming salt for heart issues. While salt does cause problems when overused, they are finding that another big problem is sugar. More and more they are attributing heart problems to excessive sugar intake rather than salt. Salt does cause high blood pressure and needs to be used in moderation and with plenty of water intake. I could continue to go on about the solute concentration and shriveled cells, but suffice it to say we NEED water and more water if we are consuming salt.

I’ll leave it at that for now and do personals later
    Grace and peace to you!
  • BlessedBeyondMsr
    BlessedBeyondMsr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone! Hope you ladies are enjoying all the blessings in store for you this day.

Woke up to about 4 inches of more snow, instead of freezing rain overnight, so that was good. And I am thrilled to see that this winter storm has missed us so far. Amazing really...on the radar, it is moving above us and below us, but there is a clear path carved out in between where we are. Remarkable and an answered prayer. Janet and Diane: Thinking of you girls a lot this morning as I see Janet you are covered up in Kentucky and this storm is headed your way Diane. Looks like unless the direction of the storm changes we have rain coming, but I guess that could be dangerous since the temps are below freezing here and may be freezing rain. Just so thankful. We have enough snow already and I am out of work again today, but need to work tomorrow at the hospital, so hopefully I will be able to get at least one day of work in this week.

Going to submit this and read thru to see how everyone's doing.
  • BlessedBeyondMsr
    Options
    Karla: I was worried about you when we didn't hear from you in a few days. Thank you for your very kind words. You are so sweet. And please don't apologize for venting or having a bad day, my goodness we all have those and if I could give you a hug I surely would. I am thankful that this seems like a safe place where we can let our guard down and be real. This takes such hard work and dedication and all effort is admirable and praiseworthy. Oh, and this might not be something you would like, but I cannot take going to bed hungry, so I keep some little cups of KozyShack rice pudding in the fridge and I pre track them onto my diary for the day and eat one at bedtime so my I'm not going to bed hungry. Plus they are creamy and delicious and quite satisfying. They are 120 calories.

Diane: SO happy that you get to go skiing. Hope you have a blast! Think of us while your sitting in the lodge by the fire ;)

Patti: I think the ideas Jeanette had for nut butters, nuts and avocado were good ones to increase caloric intake. I admire how consistent and dedicated you are with your workout routines. So impressive.

MaryLynn: You are killing it with your workouts and coming in under your calorie goal every day. WELL DONE! As far as pre planning, I just plug in what I am having for dinner if I know in advance, snacks, the things that mean the most to me and are must haves and go from there. If we are going out to eat at a restaurant I research healthy choices and plug in what I'm having before we get there and then stick to the plan. I usually get into trouble if I rush off for work in the morning and don't pack my lunch and have to eat out, so the key for me is just to plan ahead.

Jeanette: It's awesome when the Lord highlights one little phrase like "grace and peace to you" to carry you through life's storms. When you think of it, those are the two things we desperately need in those times: His grace to see us through and His peace in the midst of it all. That's awesome.

So today is my WI day and I have not lost any weight, but that's okay with me. I am not surprised with it being that time of the month for me and I am just so happy with my consistency and meeting my goals over the past 3 weeks, that it's okay! Gotta run and make lunch for my family, but hope each of you has a wonderful day!

Vikki

• BlessedBeyondMsr
    Options
    Oh, Hey Myra...I see your state is getting hit pretty hard too! Are you all doing okay?
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Diane, glad you're going after all!

Karla, fingers crossed on that eye ...

MaryLynn, thanks for the stats -- I sure WISH I could maintain on 1,800. Ha!

Vikki, hope you got some work in today for your bank account's sake but looking at the map I suspect not.

Jeanette, I love popcorn too so I either use 100-calorie bags or measure corn into a brown paper bag. At least it's a healthy snack with decent fiber as long as we avoid the butter. As for dancing, I have a very messed-up left foot/ankle (even after surgery) so being on my feet and dancing can be a real pain, literally. Same with walking, which is why I bristle at every article that says "everybody can do it." Uh -- nope. But there are some songs I can't resist. If I had someone to dance with it'd be nicer but for now I dance a little at weddings -- more at friends' weddings than I did at family ones because my brain heard everything that was said to me for decades anytime I did anything "conspicuous." Like existing.

We have about 4" of new snow so far and are due for a couple more. By the standards I grew up with, not really that much, but in KY it's a Great Big Deal. I have several pine-scented candles burning and humidifiers going. It's SO pretty out there and the snow has been powdery so getting the mail was no problem (Karla, I promise not to fall). It's so beautiful and the cold air is refreshing (Patti, I SO wish I could take your winter and give you my summer!) -- as long as I can duck back into a warm house and have hot coffee or soup. Am more than content to spend the weekend right here.

Feeling snacky today so pacing mysef and having good-for-me things (carrots & spicy black bean hummus).
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Karla- how did you make out today?
    Janet - walk safely please-
    Vikki- steady as she goes- this is a marathon not a sprint.
    Bert- so glad you're feeling more like you
    Patti- it was brisk but nice and i love breakfast for dinner.

Need to run but needed a fix from you all.
    Cindy
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! I spent most of my day getting school assignments done. I chose two assignment heavy classes this semester…what was I thinking! Well, so far so good, almost to the end of week one and as a bonus I get to spend a little time with my beautiful Miss Alanna this afternoon.

Diane- I am glad to hear you got to go skiing after all; hope it was a wonderful time. I have never been skiing in my life. I hope someday to go cross country skiing, not sure if I’m up for learning downhill at my age.

Janet- I’m sorry to hear your ankle is messed up; sure makes life a little harder, doesn’t it?! I don’t blame you for being upset when you are “told” everyone can do it; you know differently. But like you said, a good chair dance can be fun too :smile:

MaryLynn- your yummy popcorn sounds a little like popcorn balls to me. Once in a while my husband and I will make homemade caramel corn. We use maple sugar and sorghum, which reduces the calories a bit from the original recipe but not enough to warrant how much we eat in a sitting! I have yet to find a way to talk myself into small helpings so we don’t make that one too often! Yes, this mystery illness has been quite the challenge. I have prayed time and again “please let this be over”. It has been a long slow process but when I look back to the person who couldn’t read or who felt like turning the calendar page to the next month was just too overwhelming I am thankful that I have come this far. I would love to hear your story, anytime.

Karla- so glad to hear you are feeling more yourself. I hope your weekend more than makes up for a bad day

Cindy- I live in Western Oregon…lots of rain here but not much snow. Thankfully I love the rain! I sometimes think I should have been a weathergirl…I love most types of weather.

Vikki- yes I have to take the victories where I can; one thing I have learned very well! He has given me little gifts along the way to help me not give up the fight…it has been close a time or two but here I am.

Well ladies, we are heading in to the weekend. For me this means school, Alanna, church, and then (hopefully) a restful Sunday afternoon. I hope you have some nice plans for the weekend whether active or peaceful

Grace and Peace to you
    Jeanette
  • luzingg
    Options
    Not exactly a productive day, my knees are really killing me so I have been taking it easy. Hoping they feel better so I can get a pilates workout in tomorrow. I did get the filling for the peppers made, so just need to scoop out the peppers, fill and pop in the oven on Sunday when I get to my son's. I worked on the wedding invites, making some variations for her to check out. Need to get to the paper store soon to get some lighter weight paper to print the details on. I am hoping she likes the pink paper I was able to get, not quite as light as she wanted I am sure but some things are out of my hands. I got a really nice peony stamp set and it is going to work perfectly. We didn't get any snow, just lots of wind and very cold air. So inside I will stay.

Janet, I know you are loving this and thank you for taking my snow. You are a true friend. I love popcorn but gave it up when I started having all the trouble with my gums. It just isn't worth it when I get those hulls stuck in my gums. I think it may just be in my mind but that surgery is something I never want to repeat.

Jeanette, your sweet soul shines through with every post. I am praying there is an answer for you soon. I know you will have fun with your Allana, I keep seeing that picture of her painting. I have never been to Oregon, Washington or Idaho so that area is on our bucket list and hope to get there in the next 2 or 3 years. Not sure I could deal with all the rain. I am a summer girl with my second favorite season being autumn.

Vikki, great attitude on the WI. You are working hard and it will catch up. Meeting your goals and other NSV are keeping your head in the game.

Those of you in the snow stay safe, stay in and stay warm.

Patti
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning ladies- doctor was concerned of the continued dryness in my eye. I was able to find the new Retaine drops she recommended. I continue the prednisolone drops 30 more days and then stop
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies........it's a gorgeous sunny day out! The temps are low, but at least the sun is out. Have a great day all.
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Good morning. We onky got abut 5" here but am staying in -- KY doesn't cope well with snow. Hoping my little shovel crew will show up but if they don't there are a couple of older neighbor boys I asked to stop by if it's not done this afternoon.

Bert, so glad your surgeon took away the pain -- when I had my fusions & revision the sciatica stopped. What a blessing.

Karla, glad you found those drops -- hoping you can get off the prednisone successfully. Is Izzy OK now?

Jeanette, I have a niece who lives in Corvallis and my best friend from grade school lives in Portland. Hoping to get out there this year because I miss my great nephew (he's 8 1/2 months old).

Fought the hungries yesterday -- never had a proper dinner but that's OK -- kept me within my target range. One day at a time!

Thinking of tackling a bunch of little things today but also creating some rest time. Will check back later. Happy weekend, friends.
  • luzingg
    Options
    Conversation is light here as it usually is on the weekends. Praying everyone is warm and safe.
    Karla, hoping you only have to deal with the dryness and that the shingles have stayed at bay and will continue to do so. Did you run in to much snow? Safe travels.

Janet, I am sure your little shovelers will be back. The money will lure them in I am sure. Glad you have a backup plan. Do enjoy the day, relax and let the little things go for a bit.

Bert, you sound like you are feeling well. So good that the surgery did what it was supposed to do. I am sure the massive amount of prayers going up did a bit to help too.

My knees and calves are screaming today, so I will listen to them and give them a rest. I had to get up in the middle of the night to take some advil because of the pain, that is very unusual for me. Pain trumps all when it comes to whether I workout or not, lol. Will do some laundry, need my Bronco shirt clean for the game tomorrow. Really enjoyed my brief stint in my craft room yesterday and am thinking that might be where I need to be today. Have 5 new stamp sets that I haven't had a chance to use and some great ideas for cards. I also bought some more towels and pot holders to make those cute hanging towels I made at Christmas. My BFF from Texas and my cousin both requested a set, so I think I will make that happen today too. No snow here, but absolutely no reason to go out in the cold.....so I won't.

Enjoy your Saturday, I know I will
    Patti
  • luzingg
    Options
    If you want to change your mini goal for next week be sure to put it IN ALL CAPS by Sunday eve so that we can update the roster.
    Here is a quote I shared with Karla. I think it speaks to us all at some time or another

When we treat ourselves and our bodies as we would a trusted and loyal companion, we keep our energy free from negative thoughts that would complicate our journey. Our bodies are not our enemies, and we are not fighting a battle. Instead, we are investing our love and attention into the care and support of a beautiful creation our selves.
  • xjsjaguar
    xjsjaguar Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies,
    I hope that those of you in the path of the storm are staying warm and safe! The images seen so far certainly seem to indicate it has really hit some of you particularly hard. For those who have to be out and about, please be careful to avoid skids and falls. It can be challenging to find ways to stay active when the weather is not cooperating. Enjoying hearing about how your week has gone - the good, the bad and the ugly - and hope you enjoy the weekend.

Karla: Congratulations on achieving 13K steps. That is truly remarkable! Movement matters SO much and improves our overall sense of well-being. We share a battle with shingles and I understand the challenges you are facing. Hopefully those drops are helpful for you.

Cindy: Congratulations on braving the elements to move forward step after step towards better health and fitness! The nicest thing about sharing a walk is the together time we get. Myron and I had a nice hike yesterday - all layered up for rain - and ended up carrying much of the gear when the sun peeked out instead. You are making SO many wonderful choices!

Lisa: Congratulations on another great week of activities and food selections! The example you are setting for your family is fantastic and a wonderful motivation. You'd run circles around me, I'm sure. Just finished the first week of "lifting" and learning what amounts of reps/weights work best. The triceps actually seem stronger than the biceps...weird! Hope the ladies night get together was fun and that you didn't even think about calories... just enjoyed.

Bert: Congratulations on being able to stand up straight and be pain free! Your surgeon gave you an opportunity and your dedication to keeping moving along will be so important to complete healing. The neurosurgeon I had in Mazatlan changed my life. Genetics had led to a disc explosion that paralyzed me (2007) and he gave me the opportunity to move every day without pain. I understand your deep gratitude. We can thank them by keeping moving daily.

Jeanette: Congratulations on getting those school assignments done! That can be exhausting mentally and physically as well. It must be such a blessing to spend time with Miss Alanna. She sounds like a breath of fresh air for you and we all need that in our lives. Hope your weekend is just as overcast/wet as ours on Vancouver Island with the "Pineapple Express". Thanks for the nutrition recommendations. Fascinating about sugar/salt findings on health.

Vikki: Congratulations on reaching and exceeding your personal goals again this week! Great attitude as you continue forward with a prayerful and positive outlook for whatever lies ahead. Your family is watching and learning from you every step of the way. May God bless you all.

Janet: Congratulations on finding the peaceful space (inside) with scented candles to enjoy watching the snowfall, as well as arranging for some young folks to clear it all away for you! Enjoy those little chores this weekend and indulge in an aromatic fresh hot coffee as you rest.

Patti: Congratulations on the quick progress with the invitations; she's sure to love your work! With the pilates will you be able to stretch gently for those knees? Is it low impact? I know nothing about that, but will research it. Years ago I taught and enjoyed high impact aerobics. Your cross-training exercises should give you plenty of variety. You are always an inspiration!

Time to top up the water bottle and get out and move about myself now.
    Stay well all and keep moving forward one step at a time.

MaryLynn

• KarlaLM58
    Options
    My post got cut off above from rom the rest of my eye situation. After I am off the prednisolone drops thirty days I go back to her and then we try and wean me off the Valrex to see if she can remove the medication endured cataract that has formed on my left eye. My right eye is fine, although some dry, no cataract. Cataract surgery is no biggee for most people, but with the cataract being by medicine it is firmer than the aging ones. Additionally I have the possibility that the stress of the surgery will cause another shingles flare up. For you new ladies I developed the shingles in January of 2014, then preceded to have two more attacks and finally gave up on the Mobile opthamologists and demanded a referral to UAB Callahan's Eye Hosoital. Where, I found a wonderful research practicing physician well experienced with chroni ocular shingles patient.

Cont
    Karla