OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies. Trying to hang in there down here. We aren't fighting any snow, just our up and down temps! Today 40, tomorrow 73!! lol.

Patti- I concur with Janet, have you rescheuled your mother's injection. Compliance is of utmost importance.in the series. I kind of saw it coming with the comments she was making. I would hate to see her eye regress after getting some progress. Don' they have a covered drop off at the door like most doctor's offices? It's just a matter of getting her from her apartment to your car and you could hold tightly to her from there to your car? I know my dad has never missed an appointment and I drive 350 miles to make sure if my brother can' take him. You may have to be firm with her that cancelling is not an option. Sorry for the rant. Between my father's and my eyes, we have been through the mill on eye treatments. I'm still waiting to hear back from UAB on my current dry situation that has escalated this week.

Janet - I hope you were able to get some sleep last night. I slept until 6a this morning too! That is two mornings in a row. It feel so much better if I do and not get up at 4am.

Cindy- I am hanging in there. My son is having some issues and it is breaking my heart. I know you empathize with me.

Mary Lynn - I, too, enjoyed the beautiful picture.

I better run,

Karla
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Good blustery and cold morning ladies. I just have 4 more small gifts to buy and will call it done. Let the wrapping begin.

Karla, sending prayers for Jason and your eye situation. You need not worry about me making sure mom keeps her treatment up. I rescheduled her appointment that same day but they have no openings until the Thursday after Christmas. I talked with the nurse about mom's wishes to take some time off from the injections because I wanted to be able to tell mom that the Dr said no way. I had already told her the perils of stopping, even short term, but she is a stubborn woman and wanted me to ask the Dr. The walk from her apartment to the car is somewhat of angle down and she struggles on a good day because of no depth perception. I always hold on tight when we go down the walk and they are great about keeping the walks clear at her complex. It makes her a nervous wreck just thinking about leaving when it is wet or snowy, so we do everything we can to avoid it but I told her these appointments were not something we were going to stop.

Janet, is its this weekend that you are headed north to see your sweet Caleb? Do be safe on the roads and wave as you pass thru Dayton. I will feel it and wave back.

Cindy, so glad you take time to stop by and keep us connected with us. Hope you have a productive LR day tomorrow.

Need to start thinking about getting ready for work.
    Patti
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi All-
    Very cold and windy here but I guess by the weekend warmer- the ups and downs like Karla- well no 70's. I don't' really mind as it is winter and Christmas, but after Jan 1 - watch out I'm ready for warmer days.
    I'm excited in addition for tomorrow being an LR day I also have Monday and Thursday off for vacation time so definitely get in a few LR hours there too. Then Rick and I are off together from the 23 until Jan 3- Not sure how much writing I'll get done during that time so I'll make the most of my alone time- I had forgotten how much I treasure quiet.
    I think once I review all the Christmas stuff I had to do for my MIL I should be done with shopping, a few minor things to wrap and some baking but otherwise I'm in pretty good shape.
    Janet- you are so funny with enjoyment of the cold weather.
    Patti- did you work today? and get Mom's appt rescheduled?
    Karla- Did it actually snow at your home?
    Well need to run but I'll check in when I can.
    Take care-
    Cindy
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Patti- is there any way your Mom can put in for a move to an apartment on a more level ground? She will probably have to continue these injections indefinitely and I sure don't want this to be a danger for her. If the weather looks bad around the time of the next appointment , maybe she can camp out on your couch so you can leave from your house safely.

I'm at Izzy's dance studio watching her practice. She has two weeks off now for
  • luzingg
    Options
    Karla, thanks for the suggestions but my house would be worse as I have 5 steps to get onto the porch another large step to get into the house, plus no couch. We will do fine, she just gets nervous. I know this treatment will be ongoing indefinitely and so does she. It is just an adjustment for her. I do everything I can to let her make her own decisions but she knows there are just some things we cannot control. She has always been the caregiver and supremely independent. It is so hard for her and heartbreaking for me to see her struggle as she loses some of her control over her life. Moving won't help as she is already on the most level spot in the complex. We asked to have a handrail put in but they said it was not enough of an incline based on current laws/regulations for handicap access. We asked if we could install one and that was an absolute NO. So we walk slowly, hand in hand, using a cane, whenever we leave her apartment.

Was busy at work since there is a huge sale going on. We had stacks and stacks of fabric we cut but never had time to put the bolts back. I had some super sweet comments from customers that made all the hard work worthwhile. Work 9-2 tomorrow and going to mom's on Saturday. I think she has missed me, lol.

Patti
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Patti- I totally understand about trying to guide the parent without intimidating or insulting their independence. I'm more of a pushy child though, I guess being in reimbursement collections and dealing with the insurance companies I don't mix words! Lol my dad has complained about me to my brothers for talking to him sternly about what has to be done. Never about his health, only about household repairs, or legal papers, or money! Lol. Sorry to hear that about the apartment complex, but it's a regular complex, isn't it, not a elderly assisted living complex? Let's just pray the weather doesn't scare here for her next appointment. I told my dad about her missing the appointment and he said , oh no, I would be blind if I ever missed mine, plus, Dr Pynes would be furious'.. lol. My dad just swears by these injections. He also has the same insurance as your Mom. So covered at 100%. Good luck my friend.

Karla
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. I'm up early again. I've fallen into a habit of waking up super early when I don't have to. Any suggestions to break the habit?

I'm happy with my eating yesterday. I didn't have to make dinner as Mike didn't want anything due to a huge late lunch. So, I made oatmeal! I made a large salad for lunch and was under my calorie goal. I know I shouldn't be obsessed with the scale, but I am. I just can't seem to get it to budge. (feeling frustrated)

I've entered all my grades and am finally done for the semester. That's a good feeling. Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • luzingg
    Options
    Bert, don't know what to tell you about changing your sleep cycles. We all have an internal clock that we have little control over. The scale is another thing. It is hard to cut your ties with it but it can be done. How often are you weighing yourself? Start by doubling that amount of time for a while. So if WI daily, go to every other day. Then every 4 days, then every 8, etc until you get to every 3 to 4 weeks. Take your measurements monthly. Track everything food and exercise. I think at this stage of the game weight training will help you more than aerobics. Do keep up the walking. It is important for cardiovascular health and to keep your a1c down. But you will burn more fat if you start doing some weights a couple of times a week. You can find lots of info online or ask your gym for help for the best exercises. Working the biggest muscles burns the best and the longest.

Off to work, have I told you all how much I love my job, lol? Creative people are usually very chatty, patient and generally kind. You can always tell the ones who are sewing because they HAVE to. They are usually not happy or pleasant to us. You can see them coming a mile away and pray they only want 1 cut of fabric and have no questions. However, that rarely happens. They want everything short of you whipping out a sewing machine and doing it for them, lol

Thinking of you all as I go through my day
    Patti
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning ladies. TGIF. I didn't sleep good myself, after having two nights where I did sleep well. I guess the difference is Izzy!!

Bert - Do you lay in bed or do you go ahead and get up? Do you snuggle on he couch under a blanket and try and return to sleep there? That is what I do sometimes. I awake when Glenn kisses me goodbye at 4:30a and sometimes get up and move to the living room and turn on the TV and snuggle under a blanket and fall back asleep until 5:30 or 6:00. The last two mornings, before this morning, I didn't get out of bed and feel back asleep in bed, until 6am. I sure felt better during the day when I did. It sure makes it for a long day when you only get 5-6 hours of sleep. I don't know how my poor husband has endured this all these years.

Speaking of my husband, he is under fives months until retirement!! He has already been contacted by a company that contracts with the shipyard, Lockheed Martin. He has submitted his online resume. He says he doesn't want to just NOT work at 60yo, and if the position is one where he doesn't have to get up at 3:45a and work 12 hours a day, it will feel like part-time. There is a policy with the shipyard. you have to be away from the shipyard for six months before you can return in any employment. Now, whether that other company will hire him and keep him at their facility that six month, I don't know. I do know that that is a huge and very subsantial company. Many people have left the shipyard and went to work for them. Glenn is only planning on working for them for two years.

One of my best friend's husband is have gallbladder surgery today, after being hospitalized with a severe attack for five days earlier this week. Izzy and I are going to the hospital around noon to sit with her. She has not seen Izzy since she was a baby!!

Janet - Do you leave out today for Michigan or is it tomorrow? I hope the roads are safe for you. I know you will get lots of hugs and kisses from sweet Caleb. Take care my sweet friend

Tomorrow we have Izzy's birthday party at noon and then Glenn's family Christmas party at 5p. I am making that Christmas Crack ( I think Patti made this recently) and a Shrimp dip..

Karla
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All-
    I hopped on my e-bike and went 5 miles for 17 minutes. I feel like I have a HUGE victory to start my day. Had shredded wheat and coffee for b-fast and feeling good about the day.
    Patti- I wish the complex had been more forgiving with the hand rail - sometimes corporations should be more flexible.
    Karla- I'm sure Glenn is doing a jig- Rick talks about retiring every day- he is still 4 years or maybe 5 before that happens.
    Bert- congrats on being done for 2016. I have two more working days next week for 2016. :)
    I read an interview this morning by Debbie Macomber and feel more inspired than ever about my passion for writing.
    Need to get busy but I'll check in later.
    Enjoy your day.
    Cindy
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    My first crack at Christmas Crack. Or Toffee.. Letting it set before I put in freeze and then break apart.

ady3ynry8jab.jpg
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Karla, I just gained five pounds looking at that toffee! Patti, knew you'd love that job. Whee! Cindy, happy LR time to you (and eventually all of us!). Now you know how I feel when you all wax joyous about summer! Bert, the sleep/wake thing is an adjustment for sure.

I drive to MI tomorrow, home Sunday, then back up the 23rd-27th. Caleb & Company are safely in MI now. Whee! Not feeling very talky as I have had a week of Too Much from Too Many Places. Introverts and the social whirls aren't always the best of friends so a trying for a fairly quiet day except for holiday mani. Sending everyone big hugs.
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    Good morning ladies. I'm up watching sappy Christmas movies again and making vanilla toffee squares this time.

Janet - At least it was a virtual gain!! I am taking these to the party tonight, so they won't be here long. I think I burnt the butter mixture a little on the first batch yesterday, so I was more careful today. These look divine!! Using smaller pieces of pecans this time and regualr crackers for the bottoms insead of the ritz. I hope you have a safe and uneventful drive, peach and quiet. Enjoy your music!

I need to wrap our two Dirty Santa gifs, I'll check back later on, but I will leave you with this:

Quote:

Dear Santa, This year, please a big fat bank account and a slim body. and please, don't mix those two up like you did last year.

Karla
  • luzingg
    Options
    Good morning from the rainy Midwest. At least Janet will not be driving in the snow but will have some to look at along the way. Be safe my friend and give Caleb extra hugs and kisses from his virtual aunties!

Karla, I like the crack best with saltines and I also used pecans that were chopped up. Everyone will love and hate you for bringing it. Super addictive! Have fun at your party.

Going to spend the afternoon with Mom. We have shows to catch up on and all the other chatter we normally do. She has not done her Christmas cards yet so I will help with those. Plus I know there are a few minor chores to be done. She made chicken and noodles for our lunch, yum! Edd had to do a mystery shop at a gourmet pizza place, dine in, so we made it a date night. Split a salad and some pizza with carrot cake to take home from one of the best local bakeries. Everything was delish. Because it was a mystery shop the choices were not ours to make, otherwise I would have tried one of their gourmet salads. The salad of the month had figs, pumpkin seeds, cranberries and goat cheese. My mouth really wanted that one.

Be safe everyone.
    Patti
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    kdwy84lq70yi.jpg
    Before...

And
  • KarlaLM58
    Options
    9x242x1g20hx.jpg

After!!!!

Patti - it is dangerous.. you can tell Glenn has been hitting the chocolate!!

Karla
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. Today is our cantata at church. We were concerned about the weather as we got freezing rain and sleet yesterday, but our director drove roads already this morning and reported that they were in good shape. So, it's both services as planned. Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • luzingg
    Options
    Had fun with Mom yesterday. Her chicken and noodles turned out great. Time just flies when we are together and all too soon she is telling me it is time to go home before it gets dark. She still worries like a mom, lol. Busy day at work then came home to watch my Broncos lose! Tomorrow is grocery shopping and laundry day.

See you all tomorrow. Janet, can't wait to hear about your time with Caleb and see some pics.
    Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    RATS. Lost a long post. Too tired to recreate. Trip was totally worth it - drove almost 800 miles and got Caleb hugs. He is Tge Best!!!!. Got home about noon.

VERY busy few days ahead before I head to OH again on Friday. But somehow ...

OK - been up since 4:30, after four hours' sleep so going to crash now. Hugs- more later when able!
  • bertevans
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies. Our cantata was a good one this year. I watched Christmas movies the rest of the day as I was "sung out". I also fell on ice while walking Molly. It really scared me as to what it could have done to my back. I'm a little sore today, but the spine feels ok.

Mike goes to the dr today for a torn miniscus. He's been having problems for a while. It must really hurt because he never goes to the doctor.

Eating was horrible yesterday. I'm definitely going to be on plan today and am also going to bite the bullet and walk on the treadmill at the gym today. Walking the mall is too expensive these days! :)

Have a great day everyone!