The Carnivore Credo

Options

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting, I actually hate most vegetables but force myself to eat them sometimes for two reasons: 1. We're told it's essential for health and 2. I grew up learning that a meal is meat or fish plus veg. So I love the idea of ditching the veg but wonder what my meals would be without them. Any tips on what to serve with different types of meat? I've tried serving eggs as a side dish which worked well but would get boring quickly.

More meat.

Seriously, one of the selling points is the simplicity and not having to worry about sides.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    LOL, that's the obvious answer of course, I'm just so ingrained with the "serve something else with meat" idea that it seems weird to think of just serving more meat. But I love meat so much I'd probably enjoy my meals more, now thinking about what to buy for dinner tomorrow using just meat, yum!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    50250953.jpg

I usually don't have a side with my meat. I might have eggs, cheese, or wings as a side. But, usually it is just a steak by itself.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    50250953.jpg

I usually don't have a side with my meat. I might have eggs, cheese, or wings as a side. But, usually it is just a steak by itself.

Now giggling to myself like a crazy woman at that pic! Love the idea of just a good sized bit of steak.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Well, I did pretty good today with meat and fat first until dinner...
    I made the most amazing bacon cheeseburgers. I bought GOOD smoked, uncured bacon. I bought good fatty ground beef.
    I loaded it up with a few sautéed mushrooms and a good amount of butter and mayo. I ate it all (1/3lb) then still felt like I wanted a small amount of the zucchini and peppers I cooked in garlic and butter. Fail...
    But dang! I'm stuffed!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Definitely gonna give this some thought. Maybe will try during Feb.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I tried meativore may last year and haven't looked back. But as he mentioned, there are different strokes for different folks. I do mostly meat and most days are only meat. I will eat salad though when we go out for dinner when it's a social thing. I'm simply not going to fork out the dough for one steak and not eat the sides. So it ends up more filling to eat a chicken ceasar salad without the croutons. I sometimes go a bit nutty after eating only meat and eggs for a few months and just need something else. so, a salad it is. But I'd say at least 25 days a month are just pure carnivore as he described.

It works for me for several of the same reasons too. I suck at tracking and counting. I hate cooking and deciding and planning. I cook a big bunch of meat and eat the same meat all week, whenever I'm hungry. No planning. What meat do I eat? Whatever was on sale that week. Easy peasy.

I do have coffee with butter. I have butter cubed up in the fridge like you would see sugar cubes. I make the coffee into the cup of the magic bullet, pop in a few cubes of butter, whiz it up and voila! Frothy, creamy coffee.

I do however, take planned hops off the wagon for select holidays and social gathering. But I do pay DEARLY for it. Mentally, physically. When I deviate my allergies also return and my asthma returns with a vengeance! Depression, lethargy and anxiety quickly follow. Not to mention bloating and muscle fatigue. Whew! Why would I eat any other way? Because once I jump off the wagon, the rest of the foods are like cocaine. Bread is crack and candy is like meth amphatamines. I mean I could seriously eat myself to death and I was well on my way until FIT-goat provided the final piece to the puzzle with his carnivore lifestyle.

I say, if you're at all curious, give it a go. You can always go back, or make up your own rules that work for you. :)

@FIT_Goat I like what you wrote. A great intro to what it is and isn't. Succinct and clear! Thank you!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The adjustment to not having "sides" has been easy for me. I do see my hubby looking for things to go with his. Is usually some pimento cheese, egg salad, or something like that. It seems he feels he has to have something else with his meat. I'm happy with meat and butter, lol!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Seems the "high fat/low carb dairy" rule is at odds with the "macros are not important" rule?
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Looks like Meativore May might become an annual thing. ;)

^^ I agree!

Last year Meativore May was such an extreme experience for me! As a former vegetarian I was very skeptic about trying it but I had amazing results. Now when I feel a bit under or go over carbs and start having cravings I go back to meat-only for a few days and it resets my metabolism.

My only reason for not being a carnivore full time is that I still don't like meat, lol. But I can see a time in the future when I will do it, because my body clearly loves meat and I love the way eating only meat makes me feel and the simplicity of it all.

Same as I no longer crave grains in any form -and that was my favourite food-, I'm hoping that my body will teach my brain to want less endives, celery and fruit (I eat mostly blueberries but I still miss all other fruits). Still, one meativore month is something I look forward to repeat.

Who knows, maybe I'll even like bacon someday!
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Seems the "high fat/low carb dairy" rule is at odds with the "macros are not important" rule?

Maybe. Maybe no. I don't see it that way because the concern isn't about their specific macros. It is the same idea as not strictly eating lean meat. Personally, I should just not eat any dairy. It isn't good for me. I just like it too much.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to be carnivore but cooking for my family messed it up a bit. I've recommitted myself to it over the past two weeks, and in February I'm going to experiment with not tracking my food.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

Maybe. Maybe no. I don't see it that way because the concern isn't about their specific macros. It is the same idea as not strictly eating lean meat. Personally, I should just not eat any dairy. It isn't good for me. I just like it too much.

That's how I look at it. Just like how the guideline is to seek out the fattiest meats you can, you want to seek out the fattiest dairy you can when you're getting it.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I am up for meativore May. Speaking of which, time for a burger pattie n thanks to above inspiration, sauted mushrooms with butter
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to cut down on veggies one meal at a time. Now I only have one serving a day, if that. I need to try to see if I can go full on meatavore for a few days, and see if it will mess with my system. Usually in the winter I tend to cut down on veggies, because very few are in season, and eat meat instead.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I think "Meativore May" should definitely be a thing here. Of course, there's nothing from stopping people from having a "F---* Flora February" if they don't want to wait. :wink:

* F--- = Forget, of course.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I think "Meativore May" should definitely be a thing here. Of course, there's nothing from stopping people from having a "F---* Flora February" if they don't want to wait. :wink:

Fauna February :)
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Fauna February :)

What about Valentine's? No choc?!?
    :o
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting. I may have to give this a go eventually.