Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    "testicular fortitude"....love it
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Meh. I love my vegetables. I have to have some. And I'm doing keto, so I can't just go whole hog (literally) and do fat and protein only. I don't NEED that much protein (no one really needs more than a minimum amount). and I only eat the lowest carb variety of vegetables, or use minimal amounts of the others for seasoning (onion, tomato) staying away from peas, potatoes, and corn. I mostly do not eat carrots (I've had a tiny handful shredded into some crackslaw - that was spread across 6 servings). I'm not a giant fan of the taste of protein (you know what I mean---it's that musky/gamey taste that you can get from eggs, pork, beef, etc. occasionally) so I love cooking main dishes where meat is the co-star with low-carb veg, cooked in fat like butter or bacon grease, or else it's sort of lean and I get my fats for the rest of the day from olive or coconut oil, nuts, avocados. I'm hitting my macros almost exactly every day this way, and I refuse to give up veg. I have no tummy or digestive troubles from crucifers, lettuces/mesclun or other greens, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, rabe/rapini, kale, etc., and I'm certain most of the folks who say they have issues with them just don't eat them enough. /soapbox.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    Meh. I love my vegetables. I have to have some. And I'm doing keto, so I can't just go whole hog (literally) and do fat and protein only. I don't NEED that much protein (no one really needs more than a minimum amount). and I only eat the lowest carb variety of vegetables, or use minimal amounts of the others for seasoning (onion, tomato) staying away from peas, potatoes, and corn. I mostly do not eat carrots (I've had a tiny handful shredded into some crackslaw - that was spread across 6 servings). I'm not a giant fan of the taste of protein (you know what I mean---it's that musky/gamey taste that you can get from eggs, pork, beef, etc. occasionally) so I love cooking main dishes where meat is the co-star with low-carb veg, cooked in fat like butter or bacon grease, or else it's sort of lean and I get my fats for the rest of the day from olive or coconut oil, nuts, avocados. I'm hitting my macros almost exactly every day this way, and I refuse to give up veg. I have no tummy or digestive troubles from crucifers, lettuces/mesclun or other greens, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, rabe/rapini, kale, etc., and I'm certain most of the folks who say they have issues with them just don't eat them enough. /soapbox.

No reason to give up veggies if they agree with you. :)

But my veggie issues don't come from not eating enough of them. I LIKE those veggies. They just don't like me as much... I type this as I sit with a gut ache from the yummy broccoli and cheese casserole I had at dinner. It was yummy, but ouch.

Apples and pears don't like me either. I don't know what I ever did to them to deserve their ire.... :(
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

But my veggie issues don't come from not eating enough of them. I LIKE those veggies. They just don't like me as much... I type this as I sit with a gut ache from the yummy broccoli and cheese casserole I had at dinner. It was yummy, but ouch.

Apples and pears don't like me either. I don't know what I ever did to them to deserve their ire.... :(

I am slowly realizing that the whole of the cabbage family of veggies really hate me - sad news for a low carber since they are such staples to the LC WOE. Broccoli is about the only one that DOESN'T leave me with pains and gas and diarrhea, and even that I have to moderate or I will cross the line. I still record my food intake and as such have noticed a definite trend toward fewer and fewer veggies, with ever decreasing serving sizes. I'm going to have to give this carnivorous eating idea a lot more thought!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I am slowly realizing that the whole of the cabbage family of veggies really hate me - sad news for a low carber since they are such staples to the LC WOE. Broccoli is about the only one that DOESN'T leave me with pains and gas and diarrhea, and even that I have to moderate or I will cross the line. I still record my food intake and as such have noticed a definite trend toward fewer and fewer veggies, with ever decreasing serving sizes. I'm going to have to give this carnivorous eating idea a lot more thought!

The carnviorous diet likes me. I felt fine on it, but I missed the veggies. The more I cut them back, the better my stomach seems to be. I just have a hard time cutting them out.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @FIT_Goat
    I was reading your calorie post in the launch pad, plus I'm reading GOod calories, Bad calories so yesterday, I was all pumped up, like, I'm just going to let nature take its course here...and lo and behold, I didn't even eat my goal hahaha! Super good experiment, and I do believe that I eventually won't need to log anymore, and my obsession with calories is as bad as my obsession can be with the scale. I'm going by @Sunny_Bunny__ philosophy, so I don't need to anguish over figures this time, because she's done it for me...I'm just going to trust my body to do what it does. Thank you both, and all the other members who took me by the hand @baconslave, it's so helpful to actually LISTEN AND PAY ATTENTION TO THOSE WHO ARE/HAVE FOUND SUCCESS. You get my drift there, right? :D just..thank you.

I missed this when it first got posted. I am so happy that you found the calories tend to watch themselves. It is scary, but also a little magical. LOL

I just reread this whole thread. I am satisfied with the OP. There were later comments that could be added to it, but the thread as a whole does a fine job of getting the main idea across.

As for the random secret, I mention in the middle, I did post about it somewhere. But, I can repeat it here. I have become a volunteer firefighter for my county. Still (even now) a lowly trainee and grunt. Lol, but it is awesome and a childhood dream that I was never fit enough to do before eating this way. The way I eat isn't exactly something I bring up around the department. So, meals can get tricky. I try and schedule my ride-alongs and volunteer time away from meals. But, sometimes I have been called in and been there when we ate. I focused on the meat and just didn't eat much. Said I had plans with my wife for later. I did eat rice, once, with curried shrimp and a thumb-sized bite of fried plantains. No regrets there. Lol, it was tasty.

• FIT_Goat
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Maybe this falls into the "seasoning" category, but I am a Texan which means jalapeño goes with anything. I have said for years (possibly decades now) that there are 3 foods that make anything better - bacon, cheese and jalapeños. Garlic is very close to being an addition to this list.

Garlic is very "carby" so I watch that pretty closely. Jalapenos are something that I will sometimes have, as I like spice, but not too many. The fiber and the oil combined do a number on the going out. I prefer to get most of my heat from hot sauces. But, yeah, they are fine. I doubt people eat a salad bowl worth of jalapenos.

Note: I wouldn't count stuffed jalapenos here. Eating 6+ whole peppers worth of them (even filled with cheese), is beyond the point of seasoning. I am talking a few slices on top of ground beef or something like that.
  • tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have always known that my body likes meat more than anything else. Eat a steak- instant energy. Eat pasta- instant nap. Keto was an attractive WOE because these are the foods I like anyway.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    For the past 48 hours, I've eaten nothing but fatty meat. A side of guac and some salsa. Idk what it is, considering I eat VLC already and already fat adapted, but my pee smells so strong and my breath is kickin.. just like when I first started keto. I do feel a little different in regards to mood. I've been depressed for the past few months and today I feel...mentally lighter?

To all the carnivore eaters: how has eating an all meat diet made you feel vs eating LCHF? Do you cook your own meat or is it okay to buy prepared meat from the local grocery store or restaurant? Is eating a side of broccoli illegal on an all meat diet? How many veggies or carbs are considered ok?

ETA: Do you still count calories on an all meat diet?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    For the past 48 hours, I've eaten nothing but fatty meat. A side of guac and some salsa. Idk what it is, considering I eat VLC already and already fat adapted, but my pee smells so strong and my breath is kickin.. just like when I first started keto. I do feel a little different in regards to mood. I've been depressed for the past few months and today I feel...mentally lighter?

To all the carnivore eaters: how has eating an all meat diet made you feel vs eating LCHF? Do you cook your own meat or is it okay to buy prepared meat from the local grocery store or restaurant? Is eating a side of broccoli illegal on an all meat diet? How many veggies or carbs are considered ok?

You can buy prepared meat if you need to. Even stuff from fast food if there's a need.
    I only feel different as far as digestion goes. Veggies tend to constipate me and I feel bloated and heavy in my gut. I can handle broccoli or other green veg a few times a week as long as I don't over do it. I guess it's cheating, but I just do what works for me and don't stress possible rules. I still use romain leaves as taco shells and can't say no to a roasted pepper with cheese and as long as my portions are smaller, it doesn't cause me belly issues so I eat it.
    You will want to cook a good amount of your food because it's best not to eat everything cooked to death and I don't trust a medium rare burger from many places. You'll get more nutrients from food that's not overcooked.
    And I stopped counting calories when I started carnivore. I had already stopped losing weight months prior anyway so I just went for it and I'm still the same weight. However I'm not the same size, so I don't feel calorie counting is something I need to do anymore.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Do you cook your own meat or is it okay to buy prepared meat from the local grocery store or restaurant?

The majority of my meat is cooked at home. I know how much of what seasoning I put on it. I know it wasn't cooked in vegetable oil. I also can cook it as I like. I prefer my steak really, really rare (essentially raw). I find it hard to get steak cooked right when I eat out.

I will buy meat when eating out. I even get dry rubbed ribs, when eating out. The amount of potential seasonings and hidden carbs is not significant considering how rarely I do it. Fast food burger patties are a quick go-to, when I am out and about. I will eat basically any simple meat product. I always order my eggs such that they arrive unscrambled (poached, over-medium, etc.) because I don't trust liquid eggs to not have flour.

But, meat is meat. I ask what it's cooked with/in and usually don't have any problems. I will look at nutrition information to check to make sure there's not a lot of carbs (which means bad fillers). I will buy brats and sausages, so long as they're less then 2g of carbs per 4 oz.
    Is eating a side of broccoli illegal on an all meat diet?
    Yes. Although, illegal is a strong word. All veggies are out.
    How many veggies or carbs are considered ok?
    No veggies. We don't count carbs from animal sources. So, egg carbs don't matter, seafood carbs are fine, etc. In practice, you will usually end up under 5g without any issues. I frequently am so close to 0g that there's no practical difference between it and 1g.

You can. I don't. Most don't.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd forgotten about this thread! (but not why I'm not a carnivore!! :p )
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Maybe this falls into the "seasoning" category, but I am a Texan which means jalapeño goes with anything. I have said for years (possibly decades now) that there are 3 foods that make anything better - bacon, cheese and jalapeños. Garlic is very close to being an addition to this list.

Garlic is very "carby" so I watch that pretty closely. Jalapenos are something that I will sometimes have, as I like spice, but not too many. The fiber and the oil combined do a number on the going out. I prefer to get most of my heat from hot sauces. But, yeah, they are fine. I doubt people eat a salad bowl worth of jalapenos.

Note: I wouldn't count stuffed jalapenos here. Eating 6+ whole peppers worth of them (even filled with cheese), is beyond the point of seasoning. I am talking a few slices on top of ground beef or something like that.

I probably have more than a few slices. I had two whole fresh ones as part of my lunch. I do like sauces - especially Cholula in multiple varieties. But I have to say I prefer peppers fresh - jalapeño, habenero and Serrano are my favorites but also like cayenne and Thai quite a bit.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'd forgotten about this thread! (but not why I'm not a carnivore!! :p )

I've just seen this thread for the first time...and I'm happy I'm not a carnivore :tongue:

(Although - on some days, if I'd just drop my carbs by another 10g, I would be considered as such. But I don't enjoy meat that much.)
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Need to eat alone or convince my gf to stop giving me all the other stuff.
    Made a lunch of 350g rib steak and 1/4 cup of onions sautéed in bacon fat.
    She thought the meat should have been 3 lunches and I needed pasta with it.
    Tough to convince some people.
    She wants to lose 40 pounds too, but can't get her head around LCHF.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    @FIT_Goat
    I was reading your calorie post in the launch pad, plus I'm reading GOod calories, Bad calories so yesterday, I was all pumped up, like, I'm just going to let nature take its course here...and lo and behold, I didn't even eat my goal hahaha! Super good experiment, and I do believe that I eventually won't need to log anymore, and my obsession with calories is as bad as my obsession can be with the scale. I'm going by @Sunny_Bunny__ philosophy, so I don't need to anguish over figures this time, because she's done it for me...I'm just going to trust my body to do what it does. Thank you both, and all the other members who took me by the hand @baconslave, it's so helpful to actually LISTEN AND PAY ATTENTION TO THOSE WHO ARE/HAVE FOUND SUCCESS. You get my drift there, right? :D just..thank you.
    thumbs_up_2011.gif