The Carnivore Credo

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    I like how my first comment a year ago was how I wasn't sure I could eat like a carnivore and while I have bent the rules or rather pushed my luck with small amounts of veggies at times, I'm eating that way and feeling better than ever.
    I've really gotten more strict this month. Not pushing my luck and naturally not having those occasional tummy aches that veggies tend to give me.
    Anyway, I had a recent rebuttal to the statement I made about meat being able to provide all the essential nutrients we need. It was in the food thread and wasn't the place to discuss it.
    Anyway, I still stand by that. You don't NEED vegetables to be nutritionally healthy.
    There was a link in earlier pages of this thread where supporting info can be found.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I've been curious about this @Sunny_Bunnie . Have you forever had stomach issues and bowel issues eating vegetables or did this just start after/during eating keto to lose weight?
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    What about dairy on a carnivore diet? @FIT_Goat I can't eat nuts or seeds either...I wind up eating mindlessly. Sighs.
  • SuperCarLori
    Oops,my bad. I started reading AFTER I posted above question.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    What about dairy on a carnivore diet? @FIT_Goat I can't eat nuts or seeds either...I wind up eating mindlessly. Sighs.
    Oops,my bad. I started reading AFTER I posted above question.

I love dairy. One of my favorite meals is ground beef with cream cheese and shredded cheese melted in. My wife considers it the most disgusting looking "goop" she's ever seen. I can eat a fair amount of cheese and sour cream, when it's around. I avoid buying dairy, most of the time, because I have self-control issues with it and it causes weight gain or slows my losses, if I was trying to lose.

If you're just trying it out and find yourself bored or craving some cheese or other dairy, have some. You can always try later for a time doing it without dairy. The initial mental *shock* of not eating any plants is hard enough to get over. We did have a time where I did 30 days of just ground beef, and unexpectedly lost weight without trying because of the complete lack of dairy. So, it's certainly a factor for some people (myself included). But, it's an allowable food.
  • SuperCarLori
    edited January 2017
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I think "Meativore May" should definitely be a thing here. Of course, there's nothing from stopping people from having a "F---* Flora February" if they don't want to wait. :wink:

* F--- = Forget, of course.

Well I'd be in...a year later. I do have two boxes of half and half to use up, but that's not really stopping me, is it?

Gaaaah. I also have these avocados. I think I'll give it a shot on grocery day next week. I hate wasting food, but I might need to toss the peanuts and seeds....

You guys know I change my mind at the drop of a hat, so don't hold it against me.
  • SuperCarLori
    Oh, and congratulations on the firefighting! High five!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member

Even in puréed (butter) or toasted form? Cooked in keto soup?
  • SuperCarLori
    RalfLott wrote: »

After all my holiday mishaps and how hard it is to stop at the little teeny serving size of them, I need to get them away from me. It's like trying keep a little crack in the house. :#
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    I'm totally on board for a "meat reset" after I get blood drawn mid-February (said tests are diet-sensitive and require eating certain foods). In fact, I'm quite looking forward to it. I miss throwing some ground bison in a skillet and calling it the bulk of my food for the day.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I've been curious about this @Sunny_Bunnie . Have you forever had stomach issues and bowel issues eating vegetables or did this just start after/during eating keto to lose weight?

I've had bowel issues since I was a child. Had my gallbladder out at 16 after years going undiagnosed because they never considered someone so young could possibly have over 100 gall stones! I had been tested for everything when they decided to do an ultrasound to "rule out" stones. Lol
    Even after that (as well as before) I had IBS.
    After gallbladder removal I continued to have phantom attacks at least once a month if not more until I went keto.
    Going keto made me feel like my IBS was cured but I occasionally had bloating (mild compared to previous) and started having some constipation which was ok as long as I stayed on top of larger magnesium doses. I used to think too much cheese and protein was to blame for it.
    Upon trying carnivore, the remaining symptoms I was having completely went away. Now the only time I get bloating is if I push my luck and eat too large a portion of veggies. Eating 2-3 broccoli flourettes don't seem to be enough of a problem but any more and I'll feel it. There seem to be varying limits with all veggies for me.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited January 2017
    OK. Glad the problem was pre-keto too. Well not glad @Sunny_Bunnie but what I mean is I have always said I have a digestive tract of steel (meaning nothing bothers it) and that has remained true no matter what or how I was eating. I would hate to have one of my trial macro experiments or food choices (for the brain) suddenly disrupt (long term) my seemingly well functioning digestive system, if avoidable.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    After all my holiday mishaps and how hard it is to stop at the little teeny serving size of them, I need to get them away from me. It's like trying keep a little crack in the house. :#

Oy! Glad you're on top of it!
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »

This is totally me...I just can't seem to control myself with nuts! I need to go cold turkey.

• bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    @FIT_Goat I'm so glad your digestive issues are clearing up!

As for me, well, it was only summer when I joined and replied to this thread, but I am happy to report that a) I'm still a HUGE advocate for VARIETY in my diet and, b) I still love my gosh darn veggies and I WILL continue to eat them until I am full (I only make one meal per day that makes me STUFFED, albeit comfortably so, usually with things like celery, cucumbers, broth, pickles--after I've eaten some FAT and protein and still find myself a bit hungry) and I don't care if anyone disagrees with that, because it works for me. If eliminating veg or only using very little works for someone else, I will not argue with that.

I'm glad for this discussion, and all the replies, because it only proves that there isn't one way to skin a cat do keto. Cheers, folks!
  • wozy46
    wozy46 Posts: 115 Member
    Is being a carnivore and doing IF a good mix? Or isn't IF needed if you're strictly a carnivore?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    wozy46 wrote: »
    Is being a carnivore and doing IF a good mix? Or isn't IF needed if you're strictly a carnivore?

Depends on the person and how IF suits them.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    wozy46 wrote: »

I find my eating habits are closer to IF than not, when eating ZC. I generally eat lunch and dinner (about a 4 to 6 hour window) and nothing else. I don't usually snack or eat outside that window.

The only difference would be that it isn't intentional. I don't aim for that, and nothing stops me from eating outside the window. It just tends to be the pattern I fall into. Sometimes I eat just once. So I have a 23-1 window there.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    I'm back, baby! I've missed the benefits of eating mostly ground beef, so I'm loading up on 80/20 and getting back to it.
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    I read on a zero carb blog that you shouldn't intermittent fast while doing it. I love fasting and only eat 1 meal a day and hoped to do zero carb. I just don't want to over stress my system. Anyone experience success eating zero carb and fasting??