Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    simmoner4 wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Anyone running Boston in April?

Yes, but the formal training program won't start till after Christmas. I've been contemplating the Mistakes of Boston Past; I think I need to run the hills in Newton easier than I did the last 2 years.

This is my first year. Training started today!

Are you doing Pfitz? I started training this week as well. Trying to figure out how to incorporate hill training into the plan. Where I live has rolling hills, so hills are part of most of my runs, but I don't want to overdo it either since I have chronic hamstring issues.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Anyone running Boston in April?

Yes, but the formal training program won't start till after Christmas. I've been contemplating the Mistakes of Boston Past; I think I need to run the hills in Newton easier than I did the last 2 years.

This is my first year. Training started today!

Are you doing Pfitz? I started training this week as well. Trying to figure out how to incorporate hill training into the plan. Where I live has rolling hills, so hills are part of most of my runs, but I don't want to overdo it either since I have chronic hamstring issues.

Honestly, I was pretty underwhelmed by the hills in Boston. If you train on rolling hills normally, you will probably be fine. The reputation of Heartbreak Hill is much bigger than the hill itself. I did not realize I had run up it until I saw somebody holding a sign at the top of the hill. It's more about where the hills fall in the marathon than their size. You spend about 20 miles running mostly down hill until that point and that really kills your quads, hence the "heartbreak".

As far as the Boston Marathon experience itself, it definitely lives up to the hype. It is quite amazing. I ran it this past April and it was an experience I will never forget. Good luck to those of you running it in 2018. You will have the time of your life!
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I’m doing a personal plan. I have hills on my schedule about once every 1.5-2 weeks but our hills are covered in snow. So treadmill training will be the bulk of my plan. I’ve heard the same about the hills, that they’re a bit over hyped and it’s the location that’s killer, but proper pacing through the race will help with pushing through heartbrake hill and make it not seem as bad.
  • spiriteagle99
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I've heard it both ways. But the two people I knew who had serious issues with the hills didn't do much training on hills beforehand.

The bigger issue is getting your quads used to the downhills. I've had a hard time with my quads on two of my marathons. The first was a hilly race where I had done a lot of uphill running, but hadn't really pushed the downhill pace enough in training. I could barely walk afterwards, and had to have help climbing up two steps into the house afterwards. I avoided stairs for a week. My last race wasn't that hilly, but my quads still locked up the last few miles.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I guess that, even though it will be a "training run" I'm training for the END-SURE 50k on March, 24th, 4 months and 6 days until that one.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Santa got me these... I suppose I best get signed up for another half!!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Oooh. Those are gorgeous. **grabby hands**

I'm starting to think about my next shoes. I normally wear the original Saucony Hurricanes, but they no longer make those, so I need to get myself to a running store and get someone to do a gait analysis and make some suggestions. The new Hurricanes might be OK, but I don't want to risk buying a pair only to find they're completely wrong for me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Oooh. Those are gorgeous. **grabby hands**

I'm starting to think about my next shoes. I normally wear the original Saucony Hurricanes, but they no longer make those, so I need to get myself to a running store and get someone to do a gait analysis and make some suggestions. The new Hurricanes might be OK, but I don't want to risk buying a pair only to find they're completely wrong for me.

I started with the Hurricane 11, and stuck with it. As of the Hurricane 16 I can't run in them. They put far more bulk in the sole and increased the forefoot cushioning, and I'll get shin splints in a mile.

I now run exclusively in neutral shoes, all Inov-8. The RoadClaw has a 6mm drop, rather than the 8mm of the Hurricane, but my trail shoes are all 4mm drop.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Signed up and paid for my first 1/2 marathon today! I have been wanting to do one for years and almost did one this fall, but moved back home. It’s on March 17th and I’m doing it with a IRL friend who is a consistent runner, so I am excited!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i am signed up for a half in May, a 10k in November, and there is a 10k i would like to do in July as i have never done it before.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    i am signed up for a half in May, a 10k in November, and there is a 10k i would like to do in July as i have never done it before.

Your half is the week before mine. I'm also planning on another one in November. It's the one I did in 2017 and apart from a couple of hilly bits at mile four, it's a really enjoyable race. Nice mix of cycle paths and residential streets, and hot chicken sandwiches at the end for all the runners.

I'm registered for a 10k in a couple of weeks, and a 5k in February. All part of my 'one race a month in 2018' challenge.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Looks like my training won't stop until this fall: http://www.voyageur50.com/
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options

Your half is the week before mine. I'm also planning on another one in November. It's the one I did in 2017 and apart from a couple of hilly bits at mile four, it's a really enjoyable race. Nice mix of cycle paths and residential streets, and hot chicken sandwiches at the end for all the runners.

I'm registered for a 10k in a couple of weeks, and a 5k in February. All part of my 'one race a month in 2018' challenge.

Yum I am drooling at the thought!! I wish they all came with hot chicken sandwhiches!! Mine comes with a free beer, but I don’t drink alcohol... so it’s a bit of a letdown haha
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Yakima Valley Marathon in April, Capital City Marathon in May, and maybe a 50k and/or 50 Miler later in the year
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    So far I'm signed up for a 10k and a half in March, Ragnar PA in June, and Wine Glass Marathon in September. I'll be adding another half in May (Pittsburgh) and maybe one more HM in April. Then I'll focus on getting faster for the Harrisburg Mile before I start training for Wine Glass. I'll probably do another race or 2 at the end of the year since my marathon is so early.

Now if the stupid snow would melt I could train better. Of course that would require the temperature to get above freezing which hasn't happened in 10 days....
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So this season what I've got booked already is:
    • Larmer Tree Marathon in March. I've DNSd this twice, in 2016 it should have been my first full, but I was ill so dropped to the Half. Last year a sprained ankle led to doing race photography instead.
    • Bad Cow 12 Hour in April - aiming for a 50K as the following day I've got the
    • Bad Cow Marathon
    • Ox 12 Hour two weeks later in May - Probably just a 50K as I'll be doing some race photography the following day for the Light Ox and Ox Half
    • Dorchester Marathon in May - Roads :(
    • Giants Head Marathon in June
    • Invader Marathon in July
    • Chase Marathon in October

I may add in:
    • Clarendon Marathon in October
    • Cider Frolic 12 Hour in July, and use this as a max distance opportunity. It's two weeks after the GHM and three weeks before the Invader so I should be able to get in a short ultra.
    • East Farm Marathon in August.
    • East Farm 12 Hour the following day, probably just a marathon of I do the full the day before. Maybe 50K if I'm feeling ok.
  • spiriteagle99
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    So far I'm signed up for a 10k and a half in March, Ragnar PA in June, and Wine Glass Marathon in September. I'll be adding another half in May (Pittsburgh) and maybe one more HM in April. Then I'll focus on getting faster for the Harrisburg Mile before I start training for Wine Glass. I'll probably do another race or 2 at the end of the year since my marathon is so early.

Now if the stupid snow would melt I could train better. Of course that would require the temperature to get above freezing which hasn't happened in 10 days....

Dewd2 - which March half are you doing?
  • tristar365
    tristar365 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Being pain-free enough to get a fast 5k!
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    London Marathon on April 22nd will be my first full.
    I'm so far behind where I wanted to be at this stage not helped by losing the last 10days through illness and a bit before due to taking a short break over Xmas. Should still be fit enough to run the whole thing but won't be as comfortable as I would have hoped and definitely not as fast. I am aiming at 4:15 but thought I could have just dipped under 4hrs if training went well. Right now I'd be happy with anything sub 4:30.