What are you training for?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    RnR New Orleans Marathon on 2/28 (too soon!).

How was it, I want to do the one next year in March. It'll be my first Marathon. To help me train for it I'm working on strengthening my 10k time and then I'm going work from there. I have a Fair 10K in July, an 8 mile trail run in October, and the Magnolia Half in in November planned. Then I'll run the Rock n Roll New Orleans Marathon March 3rd, I'm super excited.

I loved it. Great place for a first marathon (technically it was my second, but first in 11 years, so...) -- it was well supported, fun environment, mostly interesting stuff to look at, good weather (it was warm for me since I'd been training in Chicago, but objectively nice weather -- I am sure that varies by year, of course). Best of all (again, since I trained in Chicago), flat as can be!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Next marathon for me will be Rochester NY on September 17. Tentative idea is to run it as a B race, following running Oak Tree Half on September 3 as an A race. I have 8 other probable races between now and then, ranging in distance from one mile to a half marathon; but Oak Tree and Rochester are where my focus really is. Formal training program will start May 28.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    My race number came in the post today... my half is a week on Sunday! Exciting!

I am busy ignoring a slight groin injury, hoping it will go away with a week of rest!

That's the thing to do. Rest it.

Doesn't seem to be helping so far... :cry: :cry:
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I had to pull out of the 50 miler I had planned for July, a long list of injuries were slowing crashing in to my training and I just had to accept that I wouldn't be ready.

So now I'm back to easy training for my 60 miler in September, slowly ramping the longs runs back up.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Greypilgrimess - there is a subforum on Runners World for NYC Marathon.
  • rgl536
    rgl536 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 5Ks since last May. Got signed up for my first 10K in about 5 weeks. And about 80% talked my self into a half later this fall.
  • fatjack50
    fatjack50 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Running a half marathon Sunday in Green Bay Wiscconsin, the Cellcom!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I will be running my first ever half marathon in November. I just signed up this week. I am excited and scared at the same time, because so far I've never run further than 10 miles. But I have plenty of time to train, so that's good.

I have a 10k in two weeks and a 5k zoo run in September. I may add one more race in bewteen those but I'm not sure how well I'd fare in the heat of summer.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'll be running in my first ever half in December. I've never actually run a race before, though I do have a couple 5Ks I want to do in August and October. Right now, I'm supposed to be building my base (I'm brand new to running at all, having just done treadmill for 2 miles every other day as part of getting my cardio in), and then I'll start training for the half 12 weeks before it. I got my first pair of running shoes (vs the trainers I wear for strength and the little bit of cardio I do) this week, and also started jogging outside. I quickly found out that the ground doesn't give like the treadmill belt, but it was still fun. Nice scenery passes the miles quicker. My longest run stands at 2.9 miles at the moment so I've got a long way to go ... it's actually pretty scary thinking about running 13.1, but I'm determined
  • leannamvaughan
    leannamvaughan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    rgl536 wrote: »
    I have been doing 5Ks since last May. Got signed up for my first 10K in about 5 weeks. And about 80% talked my self into a half later this fall.

Good luck on your training!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'll be running in my first ever half in December. I've never actually run a race before, though I do have a couple 5Ks I want to do in August and October. Right now, I'm supposed to be building my base (I'm brand new to running at all, having just done treadmill for 2 miles every other day as part of getting my cardio in), and then I'll start training for the half 12 weeks before it. I got my first pair of running shoes (vs the trainers I wear for strength and the little bit of cardio I do) this week, and also started jogging outside. I quickly found out that the ground doesn't give like the treadmill belt, but it was still fun. Nice scenery passes the miles quicker. My longest run stands at 2.9 miles at the moment so I've got a long way to go ... it's actually pretty scary thinking about running 13.1, but I'm determined

If I was you I would give yourself a couple of extra weeks for the half training plan, so you have a bit more flexibility incase life happens.

No running to a half in 7 months is a lofty goal, good luck!
  • pandamanda18
    pandamanda18 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I'll be doing my first half marathon 21.1K (Penang Bridge International Marathon) in November 2017. Never have I ever go that far before. Just started the C25K program, hopefully I can make it in time!
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    First marathon of the season in 11 days!
  • rgl536
    rgl536 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    rgl536 wrote: »

Good luck on your training!

Thank you very much
  • Run4life375
    Run4life375 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first official half, coming up in September. I have run the distance twice already (once on the road and once on the trail), but I've never actually signed up for a half-marathon.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Wild Duluth 100k on October 21
  • DanielleM7810
    DanielleM7810 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have my first full marathon in Sept at the Omaha Marathon. I ran the half last year in 2:11. I'd love to finish around 4:20 but since starting a new nursing job working nights, my training has been turned on its ear and I worry I won't be able to do it. I won't back out but it scares me to be a DNF.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    After my second marathon (this May, the first was last October) my left knee was a bit unhappy with me, so I took some time off racing and just did a some easy recovery running.

Last week, I finally started training for a race again, for the Demi de Jussy (Geneva) in September. They have a cut-off time of 2.5 hours for the half; and since I probably wouldn't make it if I walk, I need to make sure I'm back to running that distance by that time :smile:

I'm not running another marathon this year; I want to do a lot of cycling this summer, that won't leave enough time to train for a full, plus I want to strength train more regularly to make sure the knee issues don't come back. But maybe next April - I just haven't decided between Paris and Hamburg yet.
  • greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Walt Disney World Dopey Challenge in January with a couple of mid training cycle halfs thrown in for fun.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I have my first full marathon in Sept at the Omaha Marathon. I ran the half last year in 2:11. I'd love to finish around 4:20 but since starting a new nursing job working nights, my training has been turned on its ear and I worry I won't be able to do it. I won't back out but it scares me to be a DNF.

With a 2:11 half as your PR it is really unlikely you'll do a 4:20 full. The usual rule of thumb is HM x 2 + 10 minutes, if training 60-70 mpw. For those of us training with fewer miles, add 20 or 30 minutes, if all goes well. Training in summer can make it hard to get the miles in. You might consider trying walk/run if you don't feel like your training is sufficient. Just be sure to practice it now and do it from the start of your race. Don't wait until you are starting to have problems.