Replies

• UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    2 marathons and a 50 miler
  • SuzJok85
    SuzJok85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I’m training for Grandma’s Marathon. This will be my second marathon.

Along the way, I’ll find a half-marathon. :)

I did my first (again @ Grandma’s) two years ago. The first 15 miles went great. It was a very warm day, however, and despite my best efforts to hydrate and get salt, I got a terrible leg cramp, and had to limp-walk/ limp-run the rest. I’ve experienced calf tightness ever since (gets triggered by an increase in running or sitting too long), so I’m trying to work through it carefully.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm recovered enough from the hurt quad to say I'm kinda sorta training for Boston. Ran 18 miles yesterday, might or might not get a 20 mile day in before Patriots' Day. This is a year to concentrate on just being able to run the distance, not on running the distance fast.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp - which wave/corral? I hope your leg allows you to finish strong.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    5K Memorial Day. Had a long lay off after hurting my Achilles. Too long a lay off. Now getting back on the road.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @spiriteagle99 - I'll be in Wave 3, Corral 7, near the back of the time qualifiers. Hopefully that will help with my pace control early in the race.
  • spiriteagle99
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @MobyCarp I'll be right behind you - wave 4, corral 1. Some of us are also time qualified, older runners who qualified with 4+ hours.

Are you on the FB Boston Marathon Training Group?
  • RunningMaven57
    RunningMaven57 Posts: 24 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    SuzJok85 wrote: »
    I’m training for Grandma’s Marathon. This will be my second marathon.

Along the way, I’ll find a half-marathon. :)

I did my first (again @ Grandma’s) two years ago. The first 15 miles went great. It was a very warm day, however, and despite my best efforts to hydrate and get salt, I got a terrible leg cramp, and had to limp-walk/ limp-run the rest. I’ve experienced calf tightness ever since (gets triggered by an increase in running or sitting too long), so I’m trying to work through it carefully.

I ran that Grandma’s too and it was a hard one! Regarding the calf tightness, what have you tried so far to relieve it? Typically pain like that’s a sign your body is compensating for weakness elsewhere. May want to invest in getting a running assessment done. Some of the running stores offer that on a periodic basis. Did that after I had IT band issues and it made a huge difference. Now have a routine set of exercises pre and post runs and haven’t had an issue since. Worth it!

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Grandma’s Marathon, Jun 26; Lake Superior Moose Mountain Marathon, Sep 7; and the Twin Cities Marathon Loony Challenge (10k, 5k, 10 miler), Oct 4-5. Grandma’s will be number 5!

My wife is running the Bjorklund and I'll be running Superior 50. Looks like we'll be around the same place a few times.
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    0op28e4zlfua.png

I think I'm going to start this 10k training plan to do a 10k in May :) Sooo excited! I also have a 5k in April, and there's a 5k glow run next weekend that i might sign up for too :)
  • SuzJok85
    SuzJok85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I ran that Grandma’s too and it was a hard one! Regarding the calf tightness, what have you tried so far to relieve it? Typically pain like that’s a sign your body is compensating for weakness elsewhere. May want to invest in getting a running assessment done. Some of the running stores offer that on a periodic basis. Did that after I had IT band issues and it made a huge difference. Now have a routine set of exercises pre and post runs and haven’t had an issue since. Worth it!

Thanks for the tip. :) I’ll see if a store in Rochester or my local Physical therapist does that.

So far, at the suggestion of my chiropractor, I’ve been seeing a massage therapist, and she includes my calf in my session. I may try a different massage therapist that my boyfriend swears by. I do some strength workouts and I stretch and foam roll. I’m hoping I can get my old leg back some day. I’m only 32... :neutral:
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I've got Broad Street 10 miler in May. Up to 5 miles long distance. To think, 2 years ago a 5 miler would be a typical weekday run. Sucks to have to start back at square one. Thanks car accident!
  • spiriteagle99
    Options
    I'm new to running and am training for my first 5K in June. I'm incredibly nervous-excited, because this is not only my first running event, but my first ever athletic event. I hated sports and physical activity when I was a kid and through my 20s. Hence the obesity! But, since December 1st, 2017 I've dropped 26 pounds and took up jogging on a treadmill in Janurary. Started running outside in Februrary/March during Wisconsin's Spring of Deception seasons. I'm 2 months out from my 5K and my indoor time is 34min without incline/37min with incline of 1. Outside I'm not doing as well, averaging around 38, but my route has bery variable terrain and my first race course is pretty flat. My goal is to finish the 5K race in 32min without significant walking! Does this seem too ambitious? Not ambitious enough?

Given that you still have almost two months, I'd say it is very possible. Actually, you may do a lot better, especially if you continue to lose weight. I am always surprised at how much better I do at races than I do running on my own. I suggest gradually increasing the distance you run so you are running around 6 miles for your long run before your race. It will help give you the endurance and stamina you need to do well at the 5k distance.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    An 8 mile hill climb with a barbecue at the top! Very excited, really interested to see who else shows up.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    An 8 mile hill climb with a barbecue at the top! Very excited, really interested to see who else shows up.

Well that sounds fantastic!

How do you get back down?
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    sjb74uk wrote: »

Well that sounds fantastic!

How do you get back down?

They have a shuttle! The road is actually closed this time of year and only open for this event, so the only people at the top will be runners!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I’m training for my first marathon in September. I have previously run 3 half marathons.
  • spiriteagle99
    Options
    I’m training for my first marathon in September. I have previously run 3 half marathons.

Which marathon?
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

Which marathon?

Wineglass Marathon in NY