What are you training for?

Options

Replies

• Wen2Run
    Wen2Run Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    the square root of *kitten* all and it's doing my head in. Injuries and general "meh" has meant that I have nothing planned at all for this year.
    Starting off an easy half marathon training plan just for "something" to make me stick to.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Wen2Run wrote: »
    the square root of *kitten* all and it's doing my head in. Injuries and general "meh" has meant that I have nothing planned at all for this year.
    Starting off an easy half marathon training plan just for "something" to make me stick to.

• Amburney
    Amburney Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just finished the Mainly Marathons New England Series - 131 miles in one week (5 marathons). Recovering now and going for Milwaukee Lakefront marathon in Oct.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

I'm in pretty much the same boat. After Boston, we headed out for a long road trip that turned out to last 11 weeks. I did minimal running during that time so am not in shape for any races ATM. I'm signed up for a 10k in December, but would like to do something before then. My usual October HM was moved to April, so I'm looking for another nearby one to replace it.
  • Wen2Run
    Wen2Run Posts: 62 Member
    Options

I was about to type a reason as to why I hadn't signed up for anything and I realised that it was just an excuse and not a valid reason why I didn't have anything planned.

Going to have a look at my training plan and see if I can find at a minimum a half near the end of it.
  • christyprunner
    christyprunner Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Signed up for marathon in dec. Yesterday’s HOT run left me doubting that decision but today’s a new day. I’ve got two weeks to train for my training!😳
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I was about to type a reason as to why I hadn't signed up for anything and I realised that it was just an excuse and not a valid reason why I didn't have anything planned.

Going to have a look at my training plan and see if I can find at a minimum a half near the end of it.

:drinker:
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have my first olympic distance triathlon this Sunday. I did my first half marathon last Sunday as a training exercise to prepare for that. I didn't do it at a 5k or 10k PR pace or anything. It was more to get used to the distance. Now, am I ready to run it at a sub 6 minute mile pace? Nope. That'll take a while.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Superior Fall 50. For the fist time, I have real approval from my coach to have a time goal!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I now have a 7 mile trail race the day after I get back from holiday in America! Hopefully the jet lag won't be too bad!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    My August race is a week on Saturday. It's a smallish race (about 130 runners) supporting the local library. I came second in my age-group last year which was nice, so it would be fun to place again.

I appear to be signed up for three races in September. A 5k, an 8k, and a 10k. The 5k and 10k are small local races. The 8k is in Boston and supports the Martin Richard Foundation. It finishes in the T D Garden at center ice, and as you can guess from my user name, there was no way I could miss running this one.

October's races are a 10k and a 5k, and as for November there'll definitely be a turkey trot, but the big decision I need to make is whether I'm going to run a half marathon. Decisions, decisions.

@TavistockToad have fun in the States. Are you planning on getting any running done while you're here?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I spent most of this week planning my mileage to be able to fit in a 20 mile run tomorrow, so I guess I can now say I've transitioned out of rehab and into training for Wineglass Marathon on September 30. Between now and then, I have Oak Tree Half on September 2 and some shorter races that will take the place of speed work the weeks when they happen.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    My August race is a week on Saturday. It's a smallish race (about 130 runners) supporting the local library. I came second in my age-group last year which was nice, so it would be fun to place again.

I appear to be signed up for three races in September. A 5k, an 8k, and a 10k. The 5k and 10k are small local races. The 8k is in Boston and supports the Martin Richard Foundation. It finishes in the T D Garden at center ice, and as you can guess from my user name, there was no way I could miss running this one.

October's races are a 10k and a 5k, and as for November there'll definitely be a turkey trot, but the big decision I need to make is whether I'm going to run a half marathon. Decisions, decisions.

@TavistockToad have fun in the States. Are you planning on getting any running done while you're here?

No, it'll be a rest week, we do a tonne of walking.

While I sometimes like the idea of running on holiday I think it'd be unfair to ditch the husband when we're away!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i'm training for a marathon but i don't have one chosen. i plan and hanging out in a holding pattern till i find one i like when i get to the end of the plan.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Hopefully this is ok as it's not quite that long distance but:

Training for 15k on September 23rd. A 5k race then immediately followed by the 10k race (well more or less immediately depending how quickly you finish the 5k... 5k is at 8am; 10k is at 8:45am).
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i'm training for a marathon but i don't have one chosen. i plan and hanging out in a holding pattern till i find one i like when i get to the end of the plan.

That's not usually the way it works. You want to run your race when you are at peak fitness. If you wait too long after hitting your peak, you can end up over-trained and stale. Marathon training is intense. Most of us are really ready to finish training after 16-18 weeks. It's hard to maintain that level of fitness for several weeks without burning out.

Are you in an area that has lots of races to choose from? Look at the marathonguide and check out races that work out timewise now to make sure you can actually run a race then. A lot of races fill up ahead of time.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

That's not usually the way it works. You want to run your race when you are at peak fitness. If you wait too long after hitting your peak, you can end up over-trained and stale. Marathon training is intense. Most of us are really ready to finish training after 16-18 weeks. It's hard to maintain that level of fitness for several weeks without burning out.

Are you in an area that has lots of races to choose from? Look at the marathonguide and check out races that work out timewise now to make sure you can actually run a race then. A lot of races fill up ahead of time.

i actually plan on moving on to an ultra. i'm not particularly concerned
  • mwstewart207
    mwstewart207 Posts: 16 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I am currently training for the Bakersfield marathon in Nov. Should be a flat and fast course. Halfway through training program this week!
  • dominicmdougherty
    Options
    I did the Bulldog 50k in Malibu, CA last month with a time of 6:17:42 and ended up 67th out of 166. Cool, I finished at the head-of-the-middle.
    I was really hoping to finish somewhere around 5:30 and at least in the upper-third of the pack, but the heat got to me and I just didn't do enough hill training.

I am signed up for the Chino Hills 50k in November and plan on having a much better race. The course has more rolling hills instead of just one single death march uphill for 4.5 miles like Bulldog.