Lottie's Fitness Journal

Options
Here I am starting a journey to become fit hopefully for the last time. I know this will need to be a life change. I did this once and never thought I'd be back here. The last journey I did with my late husband. We walked every night. I really liked it no phone or TV to interrupt our time together. Then we went to gym every morning. We both became healthy. You know life has a habit of throwing you a curve. My husband broke his arm hanging a picture, it was funny I thought he was kidding. But he wasn't and he was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma Cancer. Long story short during the stress I quit logging my food and stopped exercising and gained weight. My husband kept telling me to get fit, he was afraid something would happen to me.

After he passed away and even now I am lonely and sad. I looked in the mirror and didn't like what I saw. I am fifty pounds overweight and I've lost myself. When you're a caregiver you do lose yourself.

I've done two things this January, I've went back to my dietician and started seeing a grief person. My dietician wanted me to log food every day this January. I love this app so much easier than last time when I wrote by hand. Next month we plan to add exercise. I've kept the diary every day. I love the community and hope to make friends. I always like groups where you can cheer each other on.

Will write more tomorrow. Good nite!

Replies

• 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Lottie, I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I truly can't imagine how that feels.

I am wishing you luck with this endeavor and I look forward to reading about your progress!
  • LottieStanley
    LottieStanley Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much.
  • LottieStanley
    Options
    Hello day two of my journal. Went to grief group today. Second meeting. We all talked about our spouses and it felt good to share. We talked about good times.

Well February is the month I add exercise. So today I went out and bought some sport bras and tanks to wear to work out in. I love Zumba but I have bad knees and had to do shots for pain, doctor told me no lunges or knee bends. I may try it anyways not sure yet. I think I could do some substitution for the moves I can't do. I can do treadmill with no incline and the elliptical. I still have my gym membership. When spring gets here I'm going to go back to speed walking.

Anyone have any DVD workouts that work for someone like me let me know.

• genivar
    genivar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey Lottie, we're with you girl!
    I like Zumba too, after I get over the first few classes of not being able to breathe and feel like every part of my body is waaay clunkier than everyone else. ;)
    I've not lost a spouse, but this fall my father lost his wife and I was amazed at how hard it is and has been. It seems he has to deal with her passing everyday with the banks, insurance, credit cards, memberships etc. He doesn't have the opportunity to get a break from the constant reminders and to do's. I cannot imagine what that must be like. I do feel for you though, in the capacity that you can feel without having experienced it.
    With what you've been through, you need a buddy system. You just keep on keeping on and we'll be here right along with you. <3
  • LottieStanley
    Options
    Thank you so much. You are right a fitness buddy is great. I'm going to Zumba on Monday night lookin forward to it. The music gets me going. I love music and exercise.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Hi lottie :) good luck on your fitness journey and everything else going on. Don't lose sight of your goals, you're worth it!
  • Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Lottie, I'm extremely touched by your journal. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm rooting for you!
  • LottieStanley
    Options
    Thank you Chaagy.
  • LottieStanley
    Options
    Haven't been here in two days. My food log says I'm not eating enough calories. Gee I'm on 1200 calories and there are days where I'm not that hungry. I did buy a protein shake I wonder if it's ok to use this as a nite snack????

Well today I thought I would get a head start on exercise. I did 60 minutes in the treadmill at 3.5 mph. I can't do incline because if my bad knees. It says I burned 317 calories I think. I have a problem I've never remember having before, the bottoms of my feet hurt like there are blisters. Haven't checked yet to see. Anyone heard of this?

I love the responses from all MFP community. It keeps me grounded. I saw on home page there's a walking DVD for people with bad knees. I may get that for days I can't make it to gym or for a change up.

• smiphette
    smiphette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your journey. Wishing you the best possible outcome.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into getting another pair of shoes specifically for walking. Do some online research and figure out your gait and what shoes would be best for you. Personally if I wear regular athletic shoes when I run my knees, shins and feet hurt.

http://www.foothealthfacts.org/footankleinfo/heel-pain.htm
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Haven't been here in two days. My food log says I'm not eating enough calories. Gee I'm on 1200 calories and there are days where I'm not that hungry. I did buy a protein shake I wonder if it's ok to use this as a nite snack????

Lottie, I have been known to have a scoop of protein powder with my water at night. I think you should be okay considering the calories that come from the powder are pretty decent ones. Its not like eating a plate of deep fried potato or bucket of iced cream. Truthfully there have been a few days over the last 10 or so where many of my calories are coming from the stuff. I tell myself that its okay because I am not doing it for the long haul, just for a week or two here.

• LottieStanley
    Options
    Hi everyone. It is a beautiful day here in Kentucky. Took my two dogs out for a walk. I turned my knee wrong and limped the rest of the walk. I haven't had problems in six months but I wasn't active either. I guess this may nix my plans to do Zumba tomorrow. Life keeps throwing curves.

Well my first monthly weigh in is Tuesday. I have been workin hard and I really need some validation. I hope I've lost something.

I love this section seeing what other people are doing to get to their goals. Plus a cheering section doesn't hurt.

Also thanks 50 extra I am going to have a protein shake tonight. Kettiecat my daughter had the same advice as you, do I think I'll be researching new shoes.

Have a great afternoon evening.
  • LottieStanley
    Options
    First day of February. This month will be hard because of Valentine's Day. The only time my husband sent flowers was on Valentine's Day. He never missed in all the years we were married. I didn't realize this till I put my goals for February on the 60+ group. I need to talk about this in group. I keep trying to remember how much he wanted me to get fit. I'm not doing it for him, I need this for me.

I'm going on internet today for exercises that I can do with my bad knees. I fell several times over the years and at one point I even broke my kneecap. I had shots in the right one last year.

I weigh in tomorrow I hope I have lost some weight it will keep me motivated. I think before I go I will take some measurements. That may help more too. I know that the scale doesn't always show progress.

Well gotta go for now may write more tonight. Have a great day
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    blisters - lavender essential oil works great for friction burns as well as heat burns
  • LottieStanley
    Options
    I did make it to Zumba. Put my knee braces on and modified some moves. I feel so good right now. Totally going next week. I put Vaseline on my feet then socks with my shoes. Will continue this till I get my new shoes. I feel those good endorphins. I am trying to fix something to eat. I hate to but I am way short on my calories for the day. Everyone have a great evening .
  • mimi2974
    mimi2974 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Lottie, I'm sorry for your loss. That's tough.

You can do this! Work through the ups and downs. Take care of yourself. ❤️
  • LottieStanley
    Options
    Thank you Mimi2974, you know my grandkids call me Meme. I'm so glad that I went to Zumba. I was at my goal weight before my husband got sick and maintained. I know I can do this. I used to think because of my age I couldn't lose weight I had tried every diet out there. I finally was referred to a nutricianist. With her help I did lose and it was a life change.

I couldn't eat my 1200 calories again today. I go weigh in tomorrow so maybe she can give me some suggestions.

Well I should be sleeping. I guess I better go. Thanks again Mimi.

• LottieStanley
    Options
    I am so excited. I weighed in this morning I've lost 7.3 lbs. This is my first month back and I wasn't exercising much. I know next month won't be as much but it's a validation that I'm doing something right. I haven't been eating as much as I'm supposed to be, we discussed how to fix this. I will write more later.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    :)