jilliancreates a journey of releasing weight and attracting health.

Options

Replies

• 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Looks good! I crave snowfalls like that every year but never seem to get them anymore.
  • PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I got a 68 minute walk in this morning. I was more tired than usual when I was heading home from the cemetery. Walking on neglected sidewalks covered with snow that's been partially packed added to the intensity of my walk.

I'm hoping to get my fitness challenge done before my 2 youngest kids come home from school. It might have to wait until tonight though, as I have my teenager to homeschool.

My scale is really bouncing around this week. Up from retaining water during TTOM. Down from dropping water weight plus actual weigh loss. Up from retaining water while muscles heal from shoveling so much. Down from dropping that water weight plus actual weight loss. It'll be interesting to see my loss this week for the Biggest Loser Challenge and because I'm doing an online food drive for local food pantries. For every pound I lose, the fitness center that's putting it on will donate 10 pounds of food. I've got a lot of external motivators, and they're so much nicer and more positive than the ones in the Army. lol

I learned yesterday that having 1 fun sized candy bar is really satisfying. It's only a third of a serving (63 calories and 11 carbs), but after following my dietary plan for several weeks it is SO sweet I'm not sure I could eat another one. I won't be having them on a consistent basis, but I got enough for each family member to have 1 serving. I've managed to maintain having 1 per day...assuming I can save my last one for tomorrow.

I'm also noticing the my caloric intake requirements feel like their going down. I guess I'm not surprised since I've lost 30 pounds since I started in September, but MFP hasn't adjusted it. Some days I'm having a hard time getting in my full amount, much less eating back part of my exercise calories. I used to easily eat back most, if not all of them. I'm not sure what to do at this point; force myself to eat at least my minimum calories or just go with eating only until satisfied. And I wonder if I can adjust what MFP has me set at since it's not accounting for my weight reduction. Anyone know?

• 50extra
    Options
    I am where you used to be with the calories, I can easily eat my allotted amount so there will be no chocolate bars in my near future. I need all of the food that I can get for right now. I haven't gotten to the point where I have to worry about changing calorie intake because of huge losses, so congrats on that. I think I would balance eating based on calories and eating until satisfied. If I have a day where I am real low on calorie intake I will have a protein shake just to get some more in my system but I wont be eating just to eat if I am full.
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    This shift is fairly recent. I could have easily been under my standard calories by about 300 if I had skipped the coffee with coconut palm sugar and coconut oil, and the non-alcoholic mimosas that we had with dinner tonight in fancy glasses. My kids loved that! I let myself just have those calories today since I was so far under. I ended up eating back 1 calorie from exercise.

Now, I'm sipping on my evening kombucha like it was some kind of adult indulgence. I didn't get to my fitness challenge today. I'm bored with it, but I will complete it even if it takes me 45 days instead of 30. I'd like to find another exercise that I can enjoy the way I do walking. I've looked into bodyweight training, but I keep telling myself that I'll wait until the fitness challenge is complete. I also could do the Jillian Michaels 30-day shred or some old school Tae-Bo. I really wish I had my old Reebok Step and video, but that would require a VCR be resurrected from the technology graveyard.
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    Yesterday, I really started asking myself why I felt the need to complete the fitness challenge that I'm becoming more and more adverse to. Really. Why? For the sake of completion? Maybe. I am seeing results in my strength, mostly in my core. Other than that, I just don't particularly like it. I have learned that I can make time for indoor exercise that focuses on specific areas rather than only full-body, outdoor activities. This is a valuable lesson for me. I've had a hard time sticking with much other than walking or Nordic walking in the warm months. Why would I prevent myself from starting something different that I'm genuinely interested in? I don't even have an answer for that one, so I've decided to take the lesson and increased core strength and progress into bodyweight training. I'm quite excited to see where this leads me. It's been over a decade since I've done true strength training. The particular program I'll be using is extremely adaptable and offers progressions through several exercises that range from beginner to what I would call expert. The thought of working up to being able to do handstand pushups is simply thrilling. What can I say? Competitive swimmer. Army. I'm not ashamed to say that I wanna be a badass again! I want to be strong and lean again! I miss that, and now I have more time and motivation to get back to it than I've had in a very long time. Training starts Monday!
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    I've decided to add my progress photos...

wyd03m8mqixm.jpg

lecgjnb8wrqj.jpg

It's funny that I didn't realize the difference a month would make.
    -about 10 pounds
    -2" from waist
    -2" from hips
  • 50extra
    Options
    Please tell me that you are over the moon with your progress! In one month your body has already changed a HUGE amount. Great results so far!
  • LottieStanley
    LottieStanley Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Wow did you check out your arms. That is such a difference I hope you're smiling from ear to ear. Even your face is slimmer. You are definitely doing something right.
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    Thank you! And yes, I am extremely happy with my progress. I just didn't realize how 10 pounds translates visually. I kind of wish I had started taking monthly pictures from the very beginning, but I can hardly wait to see what my pictures look like over the next few months!
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Gosh that's amazing progress !
    Your hard work is certainly paying off :smile:.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Jillian, I came back to this page to have another look at your progress pictures because I was feeling down with my visual progress. And again I am blown away by how much of a change 10 pounds is. This thread is going to to be a top hit when you can put all of your progress shots together at the end of your slimming down phase. Everyone is going to be blown away, you are doing a great job.
  • smiphette
    smiphette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Congrats, it is nice to see your hard work paying off.
  • PrimalJillian
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I got up early this morning to start bodyweight training. There are only a handful of exercises, but you start out doing 3 sets of 4 reps and slowly progress to 3 sets of 8 reps. When that feels fairly easy, you progress to doing 3 sets of 4 reps of the next harder variation of the same exercise. It went quickly today; only 15 minutes, but I'm excited to see where this leads me. I'm only a tiny bit sore right now, and I suspect that I'm be more so tomorrow and fairly consistently as I continue the program. I also got a 2.5 mile walk in this evening.

I also figured out how to duplicate a salad dressing that I really love from Applebee's. We used to order food from there during staff meetings, and I'd get this spinach salad with hot (warm, not spicy) Asian bacon dressing. So yummy! Anyway, I made my salad with mixed baby greens, half of an avocado diced, 1TBL Asian dressing, an over easy egg, and the 2tsp of bacon grease that I cooked the egg in. I'm seriously in heaven and will be eating this salad every night for awhile!
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Those pictures are amazing! Keep up the work.
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    Thank you!
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    I planned on getting up early to get my walk out of the way today. Ha! I did get up early but quickly sat back down. I am sore today.... I love it! My walk will wait until later when I've had time to warm up my muscles first, especially since it's less than 10°F and windy right now. I'll probably take it easy and so a shorter, slower walk today.
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    I ended up missing my walk today, after my landlord gave me fairly short notice to come over and take care of some water damage. I cleaned out our entire back entry room, so he'd be able to get to the wall. Some got moved to the living room and some things got carried to the basement, plus I caught up on a few load of laundry which also has me up and down the basement stairs. I've decided to let that be my exercise for today, since I walk pretty much every day. I'm sore from yesterday's bodyweight session, and I ended up with a headache and nausea this afternoon. Anyway, I've been thinking about goals and noticed that I really only have daily goals of meeting calorie and macro requirements and walking, and my big goals of getting to onederland, then 175, then maybe 150 depending on how I feel at 175. I see many people, both here and in my Biggest Loser Challenge group, posting weekly goals. After 5 consistent weeks of focusing quite well on daily goals, I'm ready to look a little furthur out. I realize it's Tuesday, but it's never too late to set goals.

This week, I would like to begin training myself to get up early on my bodyweight training days. I already did yesterday, so I've got tomorrow and Friday to go. Once I can consistently get up before the rest of the house and get that workout in, I'll reevaluate and decide if I want to modify the goal or consider it met.

I also want to explore ways to get more fat into my "liquid" breakfasts. I usually do a protein shake with spicy vegetable juice and/or coconut milk yogurt. I usually have a morning snack, but today, I was starving before snack time. This is new, and I can only suspect that it could be because I've added strength training. In which case, I better get used to adding more fats in the morning. I had a cup of coffee with coconut oil with breakfast today, but obviously even that didn't help. Time to do some research and experimenting.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    that's great that you're starting to feel in a routine, and are ready to extend yourself further. I do admire you early morning exercisers. Its not something I've ever been able to do !
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I put heavy whipping cream in my morning coffee.
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    that's great that you're starting to feel in a routine, and are ready to extend yourself further. I do admire you early morning exercisers. Its not something I've ever been able to do !

It's been a long time since I was an early morning exerciser, but I'm hoping to make this work.