jilliancreates a journey of releasing weight and attracting health.

Options

Replies

• PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I thought that I would want more beers than what I've drank this weekend. Mind you, I don't regularly drink anymore, so I'm a total lightweight. I used to though, and occasionally I like to indulge, but I brought a 12pk of 16 ounce cans and currently have 6 left after 2 nights. I still have tonight at the grounds because I'm in cleanup tomorrow, but I'll probably still take at least a couple home.

I'm feeling really proud of myself for staying on track with my food though. I had planned on extra calories from beer, so my deficits are great by my normal standard, and even more amazing because I'm essentially at a huge party. I think the key point for me is that I don't feel deprived either. I intended to stay vegetarian over the weekend, but I brought some jerky and a little cold smoked salmon just in case. I haven't touched any of it. I might eat the salmon today, just for the sake of not wanting it to spoil.

I walked so much yesterday and last night that I hit 20,000 steps... Of course Fitbit divides is because I crossed the midnight threshold, so I woke up to see that I already had over 7,000 steps toward today's goal... And I've already surpassed my goal by almost 1,000 steps. This has never happened without intentional exercise.

Tomorrow, I'll be walking the park and should easily get my 10,000 steps in. I'm excited to see what kind of progress I've made on my mini vacation.

I got a massage yesterday, and decided that I need to be stretching more than I have been. My calves and outer thighs don't feel tight or sore, but that massage definitely suggested otherwise. This is my motivation to get back to my daily yoga practice.

Yesterday (6/17)
    Weight unknown
    13,000+ steps (+7,000)
    Vegetarian, 5 days
    1,000+ calorie deficit
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    @50extra I ended up meeting a woman this weekend who has walked hundreds of miles on the Pacific Coast Trail that runs from Mexico to Canada. I asked her about her experience with blisters, and she initially laughed because it's hard to avoid them completely so it's something that all long distance walkers deal with. She gave my some pointers like carrying dry socks and changing them out during my walk as soon as I notice my socks are getting wet. Calluses will form after the blisters, of course, but don't usually form otherwise. I'm going to try wrapping with athletic tape the next time I do a shorter walk to see how it feels. If it's comfortable, I'll try it for this coming week's training walk.
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    Today
    Weight unknown
    18,000+ steps
    Vegetarian, 6 days
    1,200 calorie deficit
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    lavender essential oil will heal the blisters super fast
  • PrimalJillian
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @tcunbeliever I love that you know this! I use lavender for so many first aid things. It worked for the small blister, but the big one didn't get enough attention since I'm at a festival. I wore sandals all weekend though, so it's still intact and almost healed.
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    Carbs were pretty high today, but a decent deficit. I did eat a little meat today, but it only totalled about 4 ounces. Just got home and cleaned up from the festival, and ready to get a good night of sleep.

Today
    Weight unknown
    14,000+ steps
    Vegetarian days 6 of 7
    1,100 calorie deficit
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    Barely making goals today, but I'm totally ok about needing a recovery type day after getting so many steps in during the festival. I was definitely pleased with the scale this morning.

Today
    213.2 lbs (-6.4 lbs)
    10,000+ steps
    Vegetarian days 7 of 8
    300+ calorie deficit
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Jillian, if 10000+ steps is taking a recovery day i salute you!

You are killing it! -6.4 pounds in a week is killer.

I never did ask, how come you are eating mostly veggie? Is it just to help keep the calories in check? Or do you have other reasons?

Great work
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    @50extra Yes, the mostly vegetarian is for calorie control and weight loss. It also helps save on the grocery bill... Not a necessity, but a nice perk. I'm getting used to it more, and I think that when I am at the end of my losing phase, I'll probably stick with it anyway. I was just telling Jeff that meat seems kind of like treat now. Maybe I can use that to my advantage when I'm craving other rich foods. It would be awesome if I could substitute an ice cream craving with a hamburger or some smoked salmon!

I'm trying to get my 10,000 steps in every day. It does require some effort if I don't get a full intentional workout in, but when I miss my goal I am more likely to start the downhill spiral.

I ended up snacking last night and blew my little deficit. I haven't hopped on the scale yet, but I'm not concerned, even if it went up a little. I'm doing another 10 mile training day today, so that'll make up for any potential minor setback from yesterday.
  • PrimalJillian
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The scale went up about a pound this morning, but I'm not worried because of my huge deficit today. Food was pretty easy, and I only ate about 200 of my exercise calories.

I taped my heals today, and it worked beautifully. I seriously can't imagine getting blisters there, as long as I continue to tape for my long walks.

I added .2 mile today on accident because my GPS must've been messing with me. Anyway, even with the extra distance, I shaved about 10 minutes off my time from last week. I'm pretty surprised and happy about that, even though this walk I'm training for isn't a race.

Today
    214.3 lbs (-5.1 lbs)
    25,000+ steps
    Training day: 10.2 mile walk
    Vegetarian days 8 of 9
    17,000+ calorie deficit
  • 50extra
    Options
    Another great training session Jillian, I seen your pace markers on your feed and noticed that you stepped it up quite good this time compared to last. Hopefully that will continue next week when you go for your long training walk.

There does appear to be a typo above :smile: 17000 calorie deficit!

Good news about the tape working, it should be comforting to know that you can stop injuries before they start. Might be a good plan to take a small roll of tape with you if you do in fact make it overseas for the event. That way if you start getting blisters in a place that isn't normal you can remedy it before it gets out of control and sidelines you.

Keep up the good work!
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    Ha! Yeah, that should say 1,700. Oops.

I'll definitely be taking tape with me wherever I end up walking. I even put the roll in my pack yesterday, in case I needed it in the middle of my walk.

I'm heading to the nearest city today, and I think I'll be getting new shoes. When I was looking into the blisters and shoe fit, I also read that sometimes runners get a black toenail (sometimes it falls off completely) because they need their shoes to be a size larger than they usually wear. I'm noticing that I have one toenail on each foot that hurts. One is bruising. It feels good to be learning how to take care of these issues now before they get really bad. I'm hoping that this stuff will all be sorted before the big event. I'd love to walk there with no real issues because I've done my research and preparations.

My physical therapy appointment for my knee is today, as well. Hopefully, I'll get some good tips from her.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have always had great luck getting fit at New Balance or Ragged Mountain...any running store will be able to fit for walkers too!
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    @tcunbeliever Thanks! I'll look into those places.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    Hope your appointment goes well!
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Great job improving your timing on the walk - and hopefully no more blisters :smile:
  • PrimalJillian
    Options
    I had a great day today! My appointment went well. The PT gave me some stretches and exercises to strengthen the muscle just above the knee on the inner thigh, as well as the gluteus medius. She watched my gait, and is sending me to get custom inserts to help correct the pronation of my ankles, specifically my left. I told her about the shoe store I was heading to after, and she was very interested.

The store was awesome! They had great customer service. I told them what challenges I'm having, about the future inserts, and that I prefer a wide toe box. She grabbed a couple pairs for me to try, then put me on the treadmill and recorded my feet from behind as I walked. Then she played it back to me in slow motion pointing out the good things and not so good things about how my feet and ankles are functioning while I walk. The alignment and roll of my foot are perfect, just that major falling of my arches. I settled on a pair of Altra zero drop shoes. We aren't sure that the size will be big enough since it's recommended to have your running or fitness walking shoes be 1/2" past your big toe. SO, they sent me home with this pair and special ordered the next size bigger. If these ones end up feeling too small, I can just exchange them. Seriously? That return policy is incredible!

I put a few miles on them tonight on the treadmill since it's raining. They feel really good so far. I'm looking forward to the inserts though. The arch support is slightly less than my Keens, but with the toe area being less ridged, my toes don't feel sore. I guess the true test will be when I do my 10+ mile walk again. I really want to go again already, but I feel like I probably should wait at least a couple more days.

My kids come home from Ireland tomorrow, so I will be too occupied with them to even want a super long walk. I can hardly wait to see them!

Today
    211.9 (7.7 lbs)
    15,000+ steps
    Vegetarian 9 of 10
    1,000+ calorie deficit
  • 50extra
    Options
    Ooooo that sounds exciting. I wonder if there is a place around my house that does something like that. It would be nice to get a pair of shoes that is actually designed around the shape of my foot.

Another great deficit and another couple pounds off of the scale, Nice work!
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear that your appointment went well! I hope you have a great day with your kids! =)
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    that's incredible customer service. what an amazing store !