Want to be a fat burner? Exercise!

Options
123457»

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    So, if elevated heart rate is where the magic of exercise, fat burning and all that goodness comes from, how would someone be affected if they ran a slightly higher heart rate due to medication? And could reach a higher rate with less exertion also because of the medication? Do you think it ultimately comes down to the heart rate alone, or how hard they have to work to get the heart rate there?
    I'm asking because, my meds make it so that very little effort brings me to the fat burning zone and just a little more effort easily takes me to a cardio zone based upon the generic charts for gender and age.
    When I tried to use the elliptical at the gym on the fat burning program, I would have to go so slow to keep my heart rate down in that zone that machine would actually shut off because it thought I was stopping! I realize based on this info that I can remain in that zone even at higher heart rate, so that's good to know. Just wondering what your thoughts might be about weather the constantly, slightly higher heart rate means my "zones" are different, or if they would still align with my generic chart suggestion. ???
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Heart rate is just a proxy for VO2. It's not an accurate gauge, or we'd all lose weight by watching horror flicks. :)

The conventional calculation for max heart rate is 220 - age. Slightly more accurate is 208 - 0.7(age).

The latter is closer to mine, but I regularly go over that rate.

I think the "comfortable breathing" test is probably a better metric -- if you can talk or sing, you're in the fat-burning zone.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited March 2016
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Heart rate is just a proxy for VO2. It's not an accurate gauge, or we'd all lose weight by watching horror flicks. :)

The conventional calculation for max heart rate is 220 - age. Slightly more accurate is 208 - 0.7(age).

I think the "comfortable breathing" test is probably a better metric -- if you can talk or sing, you're in the fat-burning zone.

I get 180 with either calculation. So, am I to understand that anything over 108 (60%) and up to 135 (75%) puts me into the fat burning zone? At least by the description on the Under Armour blog... Which also says the whole theory is a total myth... But anyway,
    I know it ultimately comes down to the breathing like you said. I'm just trying to understand the basics of the heart rate zones idea... And if 108 would put me at the beginning of the "fat burning zone" and I can achieve that at barely more than the pace I would walk at the grocery store, would that mean that VO2 would be higher for me? So, no matter the heart rate, I still need to be approaching or beyond the limit of "comfortable breathing".
    Sorry, I'm really dense about all the exercise/fitness stuff.
    I went out today for a walk/run as much of it as I could. I made it .7 miles (about 8 minutes I think) and only slow jogged about half of it, a minute at a time really. But, I reach the couldn't talk, highest end heart rate based on my inexperienced counting, within the first minute of a slow jog. Even after I'm home and sit down, 5 minutes later, I was getting 120bpm. My resting heart rate is anywhere from 65-95 depending on how "at rest I am" if that makes sense and probably depending on when I took meds too.
    I guess, it's freaky having such a high heart rate trying to get myself back into being active. I want to make use of my fat burning advantage :wink: but not push it too far. I don't know if my natural rate I've been used to for years makes it that I should still push toward the limit of the comfortable talking even if heart rate is like 150-160 when I can still talk a little... Or if I should back off a bit even though I could try harder.
    I did ask my doctor about it once. I told him about how the elliptical would shut off and that in order to actually use it, I had to put my age in as 19. He seemed to think as long as I felt ok it was fine.
    It's just weird to see your rate go up so high. Especially for someone not experienced with exercise.
    Sorry, I'm rambling a bit. Lots of words in my head. Lol
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

That just goes to show how much i know! I've always thought the harder it is to talk and breath, the better! No scientific basis behind that opinion whatsoever :tongue:

• wabmester
    Options
    I just want to reiterate that I'm not suggesting one zone is better. Hard breathing is just a sign of anaerobic metabolism. Nothing bad about that -- you'll probably burn more calories, but also a higher portion of them will come from glycogen.

Good book: Body by Science

This will give you a very different take: don't run, lift weights at such a high exertion level that you literally panic. That's a sign that you're recruiting every last muscle fiber and exhausting them.

It's definitely an acquired taste, but a lot of people like that kind of challenge.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    This thread needs to be archived or something; great stuff in here!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Shall be done shortly. :wink:
  • wabmester
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I went out today for a walk/run as much of it as I could. I made it .7 miles (about 8 minutes I think) and only slow jogged about half of it, a minute at a time really. But, I reach the couldn't talk, highest end heart rate based on my inexperienced counting, within the first minute of a slow jog.

It will get easier. And the effect on heart conditioning is pretty cool -- your resting heart rate drops and blood pressure drops after a while. Not because your heart gets stronger, but because your vasculature improves -- improved blood supply to tissues.

When I started to run, I would sometimes run with a friend in better shape than me. They would try to carry on a conversation, and I would just grunt. All the while I was thinking "shutup, I hate you, I'm trying to breathe here!". :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    I went out today for a walk/run as much of it as I could. I made it .7 miles (about 8 minutes I think) and only slow jogged about half of it, a minute at a time really. But, I reach the couldn't talk, highest end heart rate based on my inexperienced counting, within the first minute of a slow jog.

It will get easier. And the effect on heart conditioning is pretty cool -- your resting heart rate drops and blood pressure drops after a while. Not because your heart gets stronger, but because your vasculature improves -- improved blood supply to tissues.

When I started to run, I would sometimes run with a friend in better shape than me. They would try to carry on a conversation, and I would just grunt. All the while I was thinking "shutup, I hate you, I'm trying to breathe here!". :)

If I weren't alone, that's what I'd be thinking.
    I went out again today. Barely lasted 10 minutes. Slow jogged 3 different times about 1 1/2 minutes each time I think. I'm trying to be conservative cuz it felt like forever! Definitely concentrating on the breathing. Got about the same distance as yesterday. I think it took longer cuz today I went a different way and there was a steeper hill. I didn't like it. Then it rained on me and it's cold. Exercise makes me grumpy enough without hills and cold rain! Lol
    Anyway, I'm going to see how long I can keep this new endeavor going. :smile:
    Thanks for the info and support! Glad to know I'm just out of shape and not gonna die! Lol
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sunny_Bunny_, try the C25k app if you are interested in running. It gradually increases your running time until you are ready to run a 5k. I started not being able to run for more than a minute, and now just moved on to the 10k app, and run for an hour every other day.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    KRPolo wrote: »
    Sunny_Bunny_, try the C25k app if you are interested in running. It gradually increases your running time until you are ready to run a 5k. I started not being able to run for more than a minute, and now just moved on to the 10k app, and run for an hour every other day.

@Sunny_Bunny_ Zombies, Run!
    It's an app many people recommend. Hilarious twist on the whole C25k thing.
    If I ever hate myself enough to run again (sorry runners, much respect for you, but it's just not my thing) I'd use that app. I didn't know about it until after I decided, again, that I hate running. I prefer HIIT-tabata style if I'm going to make my heart gargle in my throat. I did the C25k up until we were running continuously for 30 min on it. Hated it. I liked the interval portion before that though. So I switched to HIIT instead.
  • marise51
    marise51 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Interest read and love all your comments