Am I the only one that finds it difficult to eat more?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    That is a bummer that the side effect of having more energy, which does indeed increase daily burn - is a negative for you.

At least your body seems to be out of stress mode if it's willing to lose weight, and is obviously burning more than you are eating.

Could be time of month where your BMR and therefore TDEE are higher anyway, so take it as you can get it.

But good sign, even a drop of water weight would usually mean stress on body has gone down, cortisol has dropped usually, and those are always good.
  • scaryann1
    scaryann1 Posts: 259 Member
    Weight = 282.8
    up .8 pounds

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) = 1881
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) = 2351
    Average calories = 2116

Ever have one of "those" mornings? This is mine. I stepped on the scale got a weight, instantly forgot what it was, so had to do it again. That one seemed odd for some reason, so did it again. Got a different weight, did it again... I am somewhere between 282 and 284 this morning. I believe I got 282.8 the most that was why I went with it. I move on to measuring... wrap tape around my ankle, get one reading seemed off, so checked again and it's different again. Decided to just keep last weeks readings and try again next week. But check out those average calories! I'm super stuffed by the end of the day, but my body is starting to like me! My clothes are falling off and I'm wearing clothes I haven't worn in years. Size wise I'm almost back to what I was when I graduated college in 2010, still a lot heavier though. So maybe more of it's muscle? I'm still lifting 4.25 pounds several times a week.

A question on lifting though, I have been using one arm at a time, so do I count it as a set on one side and then another set on the other side? Or do I count a set on each side as one set? In other words if I do a set of 10 on the the right side and a set of ten on the left side should I record that as one set or two? I've been recording it as one. Does it even make a difference?
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    @scaryann1

Ann, what a nice update! Who cares about the number on the scale when clothes feel loser?! You go! Leave the measurements for another day. Love to hear that your body is feeling better, that's a great NSV (non scale victory)!

If you are doing one arm and then the other, you will record one set. Right+left= one set. You are recording it right. It makes a difference for consistency. Make sure that that you do to one side, you do to the other.
  • heybales
    If the arm movements in any way have you tensing body funny to support weight moving on just one side, no need to do it one side at a time either.
    Some movements not a bad effect - some could and would benefit from both arms going up.

Muscle is very hard to grow - you gotta be tapping out existing muscle totally for body to even feel the need to add more - which at that point would be 1 lb about every 8 weeks for a woman if those are heavy for your muscles level.

But I'm betting it's heavy for your ligaments/tendons, not the muscle so much.

What if anything do you feel burning near the end of the reps of a set when you barely feel like you can continue?
  • scaryann1
    Thanks guys! I'm glad I was actually doing it right. :smiley: heybales, I'll have to pay more attention later when I do them. I just know that my arms are so tired it's all I can do to lift them for a few mins, but I can't remember if they burn or not. I'm thinking the only one that tends to burn is when I lift the weight out to the side, then if I remember correctly, it burns around the bicep area. But since I tore my rotator cuff two years ago and it never healed correctly I have burning pain there with or without the lifting.
  • pamatc2
    pamatc2 Posts: 866 Member
    scaryann1 - very inspiring posts!

I recently joined this group and changed my calorie goal today to be my TDEE with the 15% cut. It is a 300 calorie increase from what I have been eating with very little weight loss success. I will see how that goes for awhile.

I'm so nervous about increasing calories, even though 3 years ago, I lost 50lbs in 5 months when I increased my calories from 1300 to 1650. You think I would have kept doing this, but health issues all but shut down my workouts and the weight came back on. I gained 30 of those 50 lbs back since then and am ready to shed them, and more!

Thank you for your inspiration in helping me start!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    pamatc2, you might want to add those 300 cals in 100 cal. blocks taking 3 weeks to reach your new eating level. A more gentle approach for your body and it lets your mind catch up with what you are doing as well.

Good luck, it is always great to eat more.
  • TerezaToledo
    edited May 2016
    @pamatc2 , I agree with retirehappy, increasing the calories slowly is a great approach! You will see that those extra calories make a huge difference on your well being! Meanwhile, check out the EM2WL site for everything you need to know about this journey and what to expect. You will also find tons of support and inspiring stories there: www.eatmore2weighless.com
    Also you can download the free starters kit here: http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/get-your-quick-start-guide/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=DM&utm_campaign=quick start
    Let us know how it goes!
  • pamatc2
    pamatc2 Posts: 866 Member
    @pamatc2 , I agree with retirehappy, increasing the calories slowly is a great approach! You will see that those extra calories make a huge difference on your well being! Meanwhile, check out the EM2WL site for everything you need to know about this journey and what to expect. You will also find tons of support and inspiring stories there: www.eatmore2weighless.com
    Also you can download the free starters kit here: http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/get-your-quick-start-guide/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=DM&utm_campaign=quick start
    Let us know how it goes!

I downloaded the kit and started looking through the site as well. Both motivated me to take the step and make a change. If I wasn't losing weight by what I was doing, I figure it wouldn't hurt to make a change!
  • scaryann1
    pamatc2, I'm so glad I could inspire you! It's been a crazy busy week for me. The ASPGB XI is this weekend and I've been crazy busy getting things ready for it. (ASPGB XI stands for Allegany Geobash eleven) It's considered a Mega Event because there are over 500 attendees. My other half and I used to be very avid geocachers until my health degraded so bad that I couldn't walk very far. This year I'm eating more, so I have more energy and I have a pair of walking crutches so I can go on some of the hikes with him! I've been getting lists of geocaches we want to find ready to go and lots of food stuff so we can eat between looking for geocaches. I've been making chicken salad and egg salad for sandwiches, bagging up small bags of potato chips and Chex mix, and other snack foods. This is my second favorite weekend of the entire year. My favorite weekend being the first Saturday in August, my brother has a huge party for family and friends every year. We usually have about 150 - 200 people show up every year. I have been trying to eat near my calculated TDEE this week, but have been falling slightly short of it, but I'm not complaining, I'll get there when my body is ready to. I love having to wear my belt to keep my pants up, instead of to hold my flashlight. :p I'll be back Sunday or Monday to let you know how the weekend went. :)
  • TerezaToledo
    @scaryann1, how fun about th geocashing! Amazing job on planning and prepping meals and snacks for the event! I hope you have a great time , let us know how it goes

@patamac2, yay for starting changes! No more wheel spinning. Depriving yourself, restricting calories and working out too much to see no results is awful. Been there, done that and it did not work. It's much better to inch slowly towards a sustainable goal that you will reach and keep. The key is to become fitter and stay there! And why not feel good, enjoy life and some food on the way?
  • scaryann1
    A total of just slightly over 3.75 miles of hiking for me in two days using walking crutches and at least half of it was up hill (elevation changes of over 400 ft)... :s I'm not moving much today, may not be capable of movement tomorrow either, :/ but it was so worth it! <3 At the time we arrived at the bash on Saturday there were over 650 people logged in! :o It rained all of Saturday, a slow, cold, drenching rain that didn't go away all day or night. :/ But Friday was beautiful. :D

I still have to download the pictures I took from my cameras and we have to go to the laundry mat now to do laundry. Good thing that can be folded while sitting! LOL
  • TerezaToledo
    Wow, what a workout! That's a lot of people! I'm glad you had a good time despite the rain
  • scaryann1
    Weight = 284.6
    up-1.8 pounds

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) = 1889
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) = 2361
    Average calories = 2189

Getting closer to my estimated TDEE! Maybe this week I'll hit it, maybe not. I think it may have been Thursday before my knees and ankles decided to forgive me for hiking all those miles on Friday and Saturday the week before. It was so worth it though, R and I enjoyed being out and about. We were able to visit with people we rarely see and to find some cool geocaches too!

We even had a very exciting night cache experience... A night cache is exactly what it sounds like, you look for the cache only at night. When looking for a night cache you go to the coordinates listed on the cache page and look for reflective tacks with a strong flashlight. You follow the tacks through the woods to find the cache. We started up the path and mistakenly followed a hunters tacks the wrong way. I tell you what, climbing a steep hill up or down (or both) is not exactly fun when you are using walking crutches! We got back on the right path and followed the tacks to the right area. Well we were near the final when R pointed his flashlight at a spot about 50 feet or so in front of us and says "something just closed it's eyes right there." I trained my flashlight in the same spot and I could see the eyes, but not quite make out what it was. Just as the critter moved it's head, R moved his flashlight. Drat, I still couldn't tell if it was a bear, a deer, or just what it was...Finally R trained his flashlight back on the spot where I was still watching the eyes reflecting back at us and the critter jumped and ran... It was a white tail deer! We laughed and went the 20 feet to find the cache. We made our way back down to the Jeep (The way to the cache was all up hill, about a 400 foot change in elevation. At least the way back was all downhill) and just as we got back to our Jeep a group of cachers showed up to tackle it. We gave them a warning about not following the hunters tacks and then we headed home.
  • heybales
    What fun, glad the recovery happened, albeit slowly.

Be interesting this week if it takes as long too with similar weekly activity.
  • scaryann1
    Here's hoping the link works. These are some of the pictures I took at Allegany State Park at the Bash this year. http://s915.photobucket.com/user/scaryann1971/slideshow/Geocaching/ASPGBXI
  • heybales
    Did you go up that fire tower?!
    In the Ozarks - due to abuse and stupidity by bored youths, they are fenced in and removed the first floor of stairs. But I got pictures from the top years ago from about 3 wilderness areas prior.
    Gotta show my son that fuzzy leaved flower, he'll like that.
  • scaryann1
    The tower is fenced off here as well, and for the same reason. I believe it was two years ago that they fenced this one off. But no, I never went up it. Even back when I could walk forever my knees didn't like climbing stairs plus I've never cared for heights. We did seriously consider crossing that bridge though. I think if I wasn't using walking crutches now we would have.
  • TerezaToledo
    That looked like so much fun! I can see why you forget about pain and hardship and just go for it! Good to hear you are recovering!
  • scaryann1
    I must have been a sight to see today. Rick didn't tell me this morning that he wanted to go geocaching today, so I threw on one of my long dresses. It used to be ankle length, well I've dropped enough inches that it's floor length now. So picture me in a long black dress with my bright pink walking crutches climbing over downed trees and looking under rocks in the rain with the hand held gps hanging around my neck! On the plus side we were first to find! Quarter mile each way, pain is so bad that I couldn't keep supper down, but it was so worth it. I love being able to geocache again, I wish I'd gotten those walking crutches a few years ago!