Histamines, inflamation and biohacking experiment starting

Options

Replies

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    6 mths lchf, no sweeteners, careful label reading to minimise sugars, now 6 days of meat.

Last night, working back late on high stress deliverable with small team. We had a short break for left over farewell treats (which I ignored earlier in morning). I was fatigued n felt any food would be useful to enable me to cycle 15km home 30 mins later.

Ate part of a coconut macaroon. Had a flavoring added like almond. 20 mins later, sinus headache, watery eyes, dry throat, sneezing. Excited that I found something with such a spectacular reaction, 6 hours after any other food n no other envirionmental changes. Now the question is what on earth is in that macaroon because most recipes are simple. Will ask admin where they purchased it n go from there. Getting closer to the source of my food intollerance.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    6 mths lchf, no sweeteners, careful label reading to minimise sugars, now 6 days of meat.

Last night, working back late on high stress deliverable with small team. We had a short break for left over farewell treats (which I ignored earlier in morning). I was fatigued n felt any food would be useful to enable me to cycle 15km home 30 mins later.

Ate part of a coconut macaroon. Had a flavoring added like almond. 20 mins later, sinus headache, watery eyes, dry throat, sneezing. Excited that I found something with such a spectacular reaction, 6 hours after any other food n no other envirionmental changes. Now the question is what on earth is in that macaroon because most recipes are simple. Will ask admin where they purchased it n go from there. Getting closer to the source of my food intollerance.

It seems funny to cheer that you found something that made you sick, but HURRAY! Keep me informed. I am thinking my homemade coconut treats for making my lips hurt. I am suspecting sweeteners. You have already been there. I am tempted into a week of meat. Same journey but you are further along the road than I am. I hope you figure it out for both our sakes! :D
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    Albert Heijn coconut macaroon. Most likely: coconut cookies: ingredients: 33% grated coconut, sugar, glucose-fructose syrup, wheat flour, free-range egg protein, raising agents (E450, E500), acid (citric acid), natural flavor. Produced in a factory where nuts are processed. Same allergens as below less likely version.

Will check if basic version, if so:
    Sugar, 27% ​​coconut, farm EGG - egg white, glucose-fructose syrup, wheat flour, potato starch, sunflower oil, dried glucose syrup, acid (citric acid), raising agent (E503), natural flavor. (So egg, gluen n wheat allergens)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I'm not really allergic to anything, but I recently discovered that high volumes of citric acid cause my throat to swell. It happened after I drank a sugar free lemon drink when I was out running errands last week. I was blaming the artificial sweetener as its not one I've been exposed to much, if at all. But then the same thing happened after I bought a jar of lemon slices preserved in lemon juice and citric acid. I usually toss fresh lemon slices in my water but I was feeling lazy. After going through 4 litres of water with the jarred lemon slices, the same thing happened to my throat and the higher than normal citric acid exposure seemed to be the only commonality.

That experience gave me a whole new perspective on what people who have genuine food allergies must go through. I don't think those of us fortunate enough to not have to worry about our food realise how difficult it must be, especially for parents whose children have allergies.

Hope you find the culprit @SamandaIndia
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    Thxs @PaleoInScotland I do hope for an E number not a big everywhere ingredient like wheat or eggs. Suspect not eggs as straight eggs are fine. Your citric acid experience is interesting. Wow.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    This looks like a fabulous experiment. @SamandaIndia I hope things get easier for you as you go!! The thing that jumped out at me was the potato starch, but I think that's because I was researching nightshades yesterday. I never was able to determine if my migraines were triggered by histamines or not, as they disappeared with my medication change (increased dosage). But, I've been having crazy sinus headaches since I had to switch back to a lesser quality allergy medication a couple months back due to crazy cost increases... I'm hoping I'm not back to histamine he!!, as I call it... Way too many things to consider changing/eliminating/restricting...
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I'm not really allergic to anything, but I recently discovered that high volumes of citric acid cause my throat to swell. It happened after I drank a sugar free lemon drink when I was out running errands last week. I was blaming the artificial sweetener as its not one I've been exposed to much, if at all. But then the same thing happened after I bought a jar of lemon slices preserved in lemon juice and citric acid. I usually toss fresh lemon slices in my water but I was feeling lazy. After going through 4 litres of water with the jarred lemon slices, the same thing happened to my throat and the higher than normal citric acid exposure seemed to be the only commonality.

That experience gave me a whole new perspective on what people who have genuine food allergies must go through. I don't think those of us fortunate enough to not have to worry about our food realise how difficult it must be, especially for parents whose children have allergies.

Mom had to make my food from scratch when I was a baby because I reacted to citric acid. If I got tomatoes on my face (they're almost always preserved with citric acid), I'd break out in a rash. We suspect I may still have issues with it, but haven't tested to be sure yet.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    Hmmm citric acid, interesting. Could be that. New data:

I am home today from traveling n grabbed a few ingredients from freezer n fridge so suspect high histammine levels. 15 mins later: Currently having a Sneezing fit. Sore throat.

Ingredients today are
    Cherry tomatos, Egg, Bacon, Olives, Olive oil
    Then Chia sèed, almond milk, cinammon (dessert pud)

Next to isolate the suspect foods n eat one at a time. Common ingredients with coconut macaroons: histammines, citric acid, fructose and eggs.

Doubt eggs as I can eat boiled eggs and have no issue. Will let you know. Sneezing in the name of science.
  • SamandaIndia
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Experimenting with 3 fresh very small coconut macaroons today. Same grocery source as prior but little not medium sized and these were fresh. Not as spectacular reaction of medium macaroon but Sinus n exhaustion did kick in.

My husband asks why do I bother? Just don't eat them. Me, I wanted to check histammines (freshness) and If they were ok maybe I can find which items in the small vs medium macaroons trigger the hay fever like response, then maybe I will not be stuck with eating bpc, beef mince and white fish forever. I am not @FIT_Goat and love variety.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    following this thread, @SamandaIndia ... hoping you get the answers you need. (and that it ISN'T all bpc, mince & white fish, lol)
  • dasher602014
    Options
    I had a lactose intolerant-like reaction (won't go into details) to two bite macaroons that did not have any dairy of any kind. It happened a second time too with a piece of Ezekiel bread. I put it down to maybe fructose-glucose. I know that glucose can be a "covering" word for any type of sugar including lactose. But it was a very small, small amount in a very small serving. But maybe fructose? Not sneezing though. My own 'reaction'.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    Thanks @dasher602014 -great tip. Bizarre, to me, how macaroons win the spectacular reaction award. Other items give me a reaction but more hay fever sinus headache, sore throat etc without sneezing. I figure whatever is in macaroons I try seperately and find if that triggers a reaction. Did not consider milk /lactose. Will add that to the human guinea pig trials.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Boy, is that a list! I hope you feel the effects of missing these and be able to isolate which ones are causing you grief.

I just finish a book which is really interesting and very, very readable, about microbes in our gut and how they affect everything, from the ability of babies to survive to risk taking behaviours and, of course, allergies and food intolerances.

If you are interested:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23013953-gut

Thx for the book tip. (FYI, Title = Gut: The Inside Story of Our Body's Most Underrated Organ)

The preview looked promising, so I bought it. Can't wait for the long and winding journey.

FYI, foreign language titles:

Italian: L'Intestino Felice :)
    German: Darm mit Charme B)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »

Mom had to make my food from scratch when I was a baby because I reacted to citric acid. If I got tomatoes on my face (they're almost always preserved with citric acid), I'd break out in a rash. We suspect I may still have issues with it, but haven't tested to be sure yet.

That's tough! What a good mom though. Citric acid is everywhere, it's tough to avoid it without sticking strictly to fresh meat & veg. I'm wondering if my intolerance is because I really don't eat much of anything that isn't fresh food anymore and I'm not exposed to it much now. It definitely takes a high volume of it to do me in. I've just been rinsing off my jarred lemon slices and that has been working, though I won't be buying any more of them and I certainly won't be drinking any more lemon drink.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Thanks for updating us. Hope you are able to isolate all your triggers soon!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I love our community for everyone's unique experiences. I don't have any of these issues but I still find following your experiment fascinating!
    I hope you can get it all figured out soon so that you can enjoy more variety without complications.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Oh, and at least for my problems, eating fat with my triggers mutes the reaction because it slows down absorption. So, eating a macaroon when I am empty; huge reaction, eating after a meal; speed bump.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    @dasher602014 great point. Another variable! Btw fresh small macaroon less reactive than older version of same which is less spectacular than the vintage middle sized macaroon that started the human guinea pig experiments (slight recipe difference). Red apples give me a headache if I eat more than a half. Ripe tomatoes suspect too.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Following. Thank you for sharing your experience with us :). I have a few similarities; but my son has a lot in common with you, so it will be interesting to see what you find as triggers and what helps. I hope you find answers shortly. Thanks again :) Elizabeth Maryam
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @SamandaIndia non organic apples have 47 pestisides on them according to the USDA. It may not be the apples themselves....
    http://www.whatsonmyfood.org/food.jsp?food=AP
    just a thought...