Bump! Interested in how things are going @SamandaIndia
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    great thread guys
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I'm very curious about this, because I have been having hive-like reactions all over my body as well as some prickly heat and red bumps on my face ever since I started this WOE 14 months ago. Perhaps I should look into this as well. I guess I didn't even realize foods had histamine in them.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Apologies for going dark for a week: Mum's been visiting so Miss congeniality here has been sharing meals that are not good for me, in an effort to keep mum happy (she cant leave food and the servings are too big to finish so clearly that's my problem). Net result I can confirm tomatoes are an issue for me and carbs make me want carbs. My feet have got more sensitive to cold and I have a monster headache. Mum in Ireland gor a week. Husband informed me that our ensuite shower drain clogged up due to the hair I lost in the week she has visited so far. I want to be strong enough to say no but mum has a way of making her request so begnine. Just a simple sandwhich is all i want. No idea how hard that makes life for my low carb choices. Pretty confident histammines are an issue. Will report more specifics later.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Apologies for going dark for a week: Mum's been visiting so Miss congeniality here has been sharing meals that are not good for me, in an effort to keep mum happy (she cant leave food and the servings are too big to finish so clearly that's my problem). Net result I can confirm tomatoes are an issue for me and carbs make me want carbs. My feet have got more sensitive to cold and I have a monster headache. Mum in Ireland gor a week. Husband informed me that our ensuite shower drain clogged up due to the hair I lost in the week she has visited so far. I want to be strong enough to say no but mum has a way of making her request so begnine. Just a simple sandwhich is all i want. No idea how hard that makes life for my low carb choices. Pretty confident histammines are an issue. Will report more specifics later.

Oh my, I feel your pain. My mom is here for a month from the US next week. I'm dreading the food situation. She insists on eating on a fixed schedule which so does not work for me. And I refuse to allow carbs in my house, she's going to have to eat out if she wants rice, bread or potatoes. I had to eat what she fed me when I wad little, tables are turned now lol.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    Love your boundaries @PaleoInScotland .I have to learn better boundaries with her fast or I am going to put on weight, get muscle attrophy and go bald.......

The Michelin tyre woman !

:) there's a look I do not want to achieve. Btw the muscle attrophy is due to my body getting tense through stress, no yoga and no exercise beyond walking around tourist ateas. Exhausted still. Combination of stress relief and legacy of bad food choices. Have to tell her I cant eat gluten, tomatoes, cheese etc..I will be judged as stupid for that, but I guess that's better for my mental and physical health than Michelin woman.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Love your boundaries @PaleoInScotland .I have to learn better boundaries with her fast or I am going to put on weight, get muscle attrophy and go bald.......

The Michelin tyre woman !

:) there's a look I do not want to achieve. Btw the muscle attrophy is due to my body getting tense through stress, no yoga and no exercise beyond walking around tourist ateas. Exhausted still. Combination of stress relief and legacy of bad food choices. Have to tell her I cant eat gluten, tomatoes, cheese etc..I will be judged as stupid for that, but I guess that's better for my mental and physical health than Michelin woman.

Be strong! I know, it's tough with moms, we revert to feeling like children again when we're around our parents.

It's a little easier for me to justify the restrictions as I have a LOT of weight to lose and she'll soon see the success I've had so far. She knows what she's in for and has been fairly warned. She'll whine, that's for sure. But she has options, there's a chip shop on the corner where she can go get all the carbs she wants, I'll even pay, they just can't be eaten in the house. Fast forward a few years, when I'm in a different place with my health and weight loss and I may be a more amenable host. My husband is suffering many of the same restrictions, but he's okay with it, he's been so incredibly supportive (finally!) though it's kinda easy when he gets dinners like fillet steak w/ a side of garlic butter prawns.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    Any suggestions where to find low histammine with low carb recipes. My search is on. Thxs. Will report back what I find.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @SamandaIndia here's a BlogSpot - although it is Paleo she does have a list of foods eaten each day (meal plan) but obviously you will have to edit out some foods like sweet potato, etc and add in others. Maybe it will give you some ideas... boy, is that combo ever hard to find.
    paleothoughts.blogspot.ca/2011/11/wrapping-up-30-days-hard-core-low.html

this might help too: The Low Histamine Chef - she also has a closed FB group you might want to join.
    thelowhistaminechef.com/
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    Many thanks @canadjineh I appreciate the tips and your hunting efforts! Pintarest is also looking promising with links also to low histamine chef that you suggested. I am also starting yoga and meditation as reducing stress helps the body cope better with histamines, and no doubt lots of other stuff too.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Oh dear. I just read a bit more about histamine intolerance, and I think this might explain the hives I've had ever since starting this WOE 14 months ago as well as the occasional joint pain, sinus swelling, acne, skin irritation, GI upset.... *sigh*
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    @DianaElena76 sorry to hear that. Good luck with your investigations and testing your hypothesis
  • SamandaIndia
    edited May 2016
    Options
    BtW many sites suggest if you have histamine intollerance there can be randomness to testing. This is because it is a sink too full model. If we have not had high histamine food for a while then we may be able to tolerate a higher histamine food, whereas if we have been eating lots of them then our body screams no more. Tomatoes, avocado, cheese, bacon, seafood many nuts n seeds and even Spinach are on the high list. Given they are all suited to LCHF, my daily menu was that list n fresh meat plus eggs. Having to re-evaluate choices now.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    BtW many sites suggest if you have histamine intollerance there can be randomness to testing. This is because it is a sink too full model. If we have not had high histamine food for a while then we may be able to tolerate a higher histamine food, whereas if we have been eating lots of them then our body screams no more. Tomatoes, avocado, cheese, bacon, seafood many nuts n seeds and even Spinach are on the high list. Given they are all suited to LCHF, my daily menu was that list n fresh meat plus eggs. Having to re-evaluate choices now.

@SamandaIndia I do find the histamine reaction things to be a threshold reaction for me as well...though for whatever reason, the increased dosage of my beta blocker blood pressure medicine that is sometimes used as a migraine treatment has prevented any further food migraine issues since the initial onset. I wish I had a finger to point as far as causation for that, as I also reduced a number of things, etc. I still get the flush and "hot" feeling that precedes a migraine, but I haven't gotten that far again...
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    @DianaElena76 sorry to hear that. Good luck with your investigations and testing your hypothesis

Oh, you didn't catch the I'm-waiting-to-see-how-you-fare-first tone of my posts? :wink:
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    @DianaElena76 caught it, intrigued but was hoping it was more of a spectator sport :)

Good luck on your journey
  • SamandaIndia
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yesterday I had vanilla protein powder meal substitute with a coffee bean and tea leaf vanilla sugar free shake powder plus unsweetened almond milk. Great smoothie. Quick n easy (lazy moment and curious if it was an option). 20 mins later sneezing a lot! Need to use the 2 powders seperately and see which one doesn't like me. Next will be ingredient check for offending powder, assuming I get that clarity. The almond milk has been safe for me, despite nuts being higher in histamines. Hoping that situation has not changed!
  • SamandaIndia
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Moving back towards keto and managing my electrolytes etc. Thus had bone broth for lunch with veg, given I am trying meatless may. Headache n sinuses both full, re-enforces the likelyhood histamines are my problem and as @DittoDan pointed out I have some more microflora to fix in my gut. Argueably the veg were getting softer so had aged (hell that is what I do when I have a mix of veg that need to be eaten, else they compost in fridge) and could also be a culprit. While keto I just had green leafies in the house but with mum here my composter, err chiller had a broader variety for her welcome back soup.

http://www.nourishingplot.com/2015/01/05/the-most-common-meat-sock-bone-broth-questions/