All Animal April (Advanced Experimenters)

Options

Replies

• LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I had to have a week off last week, my kids were off school and my sis is over from Australia, it's just too hard sometimes to say no to every treat when you've not got the time for meal-prepping.

I'm back in work this week and back to animal food as of yesterday. My weight was up 5lbs this morning but I'm confident that will be off within a week. I need to lose the carb-bloat in my tummy pretty fast or I won't be able to wear my new dress for my sister's wedding on Saturday.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Still here. Yesterday was dh's bday, so I did have some veggies with dinner and a piece of carrot cake for dessert. It was at I'd been planning for a while. Back at AAA as of this morning. Regained a couple lbs I'd lost over the weekend, but I know it's water/glycogen. Fully expect it to be off in a day or two.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Good Wednesday morning! Outside of a few stray almonds last week I've done remarkably well. My lunches for the week are basically browned beef with a bit of cheese on the side. My dinners have been either pretty close to the same, with eggs on it (I had salmon with eggs yesterday. Aiming for liver on Friday. It's all about variety). I've been higher on calories then normal, but no drop in energy, no mood swings, no other issues. My sugar cravings are gone, and I'm at 145 lb as of this morning!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Been visiting a friend who's in town for a bit, so this past week I've had way more cheese than I ever do. I think a lot of it is related to the "grab and go" aspect we talked about earlier in this thread regarding vegetables. It's food that is easy to munch on with no prep or effort. But, probably not the best thing. Kinda like how paleo folks can blow way past any caloric goals they might have by hoovering nuts and dried fruit.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    MMM, cheeseburgers for lunch today. Cheeseburgers with bacon for dinner tonight! My tummy is very happy!
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    So I've been thinking of bowing out of the challenge. I know there are only 9 days left and part of me wants to finish, but I'm not seeing any real benefit to forgoing plant products. In order for me to justify such a restricted way of eating I'd have to see an improvement in how I feel, and while I don't feel any worse, I really don't see any improvement either. I did lose a few lbs (and saw a new low on the scale this past week) which is awesome, but I also know I can lose while eating plant foods.

When I began LCHF three years ago, I did it with the conviction that it would be a permanent change, not a temporary fix. And for me, it has been. One of the most appealing aspects of LCHF was, and is, its flexibility. I'm able to eat a variety of delicious foods and I can find something to eat (that's on plan) in virtually any situation. While the AAA has been a fun little experiment, I find eating is not so flexible or practical, or even as enjoyable these past three weeks. And it doesn't help that my local grocery store is running an awesome sale on produce this week :D Seems the universe is telling me to get back to LC basics.

I did learn something thru this experiment tho - mainly that I need to wait until true hunger sets in to fix myself something to eat. I find it far to easy to just grab a handful of almonds at the first vague feelings of hunger. So I know I need to put a stop to that. If I'm not hungry enough to actually cook something, maybe I'm simply not that hungry. That's my main takeaway.

So my final stats for my (truncated) AAA:

5'7" female
    SW: 149 lbs
    Waist (at narrowest point)- 27.5"
    Hips (at widest point)- 37"
    Thigh (at widest point)- 22.5"

GW: 140-145 lbs, no real time frame, but it would be nice to lose 2-3 lbs this month

End of week one: 146.4 lbs (-2.6 lbs)
    End of week three: 147.2 lbs (+0.8, -1.8 cumulative)
    Waist - 27"
    Hips - 36"
    Thigh - 22"

Wow.... I may not have dropped much on the scale but I sure did lose a bit in the measurements dept. What a nice surprise :) Good luck to those sticking it out through the end of the month... I'll eat a salad in your honor. :wink:

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am slipping up in this challenge. I am at mostly AAA. LOL My vegetarian in laws stayed longer than expected and I chose to eat some vege while they were here - salad, nuts and some vege in a fritata (because I was too lazy to make two).

I plan to get back to it. I've been AAA for the last day. I actually feel a bit light headed now so my BG is probably a bit low, which makes me think I may have eaten more carbs than I thought - perhaps closer to 30g per day since I can feel falling BG.

I'm riding it out with BPC and a sausage.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I've had a few slip ups myself and I've had wine every weekend, but that doesn't give the trouble that vegetables do. Go figure. Lol
    Some iceberg lettuce really did a number on me s few days ago. I had 1 leaf that was wrapped around meat and cheese and oh boy! My belly wasn't right for 24 hours!
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    So I reintroduced veggies as of Thursday. No ill effects. I actually feel better with them (go figure). Most notably, I fall asleep easier and sleep better. I didn't realize what the AAA was doing to my sleep. I had found myself going to bed later and having a hard time falling asleep, not due to hunger. Not sure why. Adding a few servings of green veggies and berries each day seems to make a difference. I feel full faster and less hungry between meals than I did pre-AAA, and I wonder if it had a positive effect of leptin and/or grehlin. I may incorporate a few days to a week of animal products only every so often from here on out. I just know I can't do it all the time.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    So I reintroduced veggies as of Thursday. No ill effects. I actually feel better with them (go figure). Most notably, I fall asleep easier and sleep better. I didn't realize what the AAA was doing to my sleep. I had found myself going to bed later and having a hard time falling asleep, not due to hunger. Not sure why. Adding a few servings of green veggies and berries each day seems to make a difference. I feel full faster and less hungry between meals than I did pre-AAA, and I wonder if it had a positive effect of leptin and/or grehlin. I may incorporate a few days to a week of animal products only every so often from here on out. I just know I can't do it all the time.

It's great that you were open to experimenting with it. I always admire people with an open mind. :smile:
    That's the best we can do is to try stuff. Sometimes it is an improvement that we stick with and other times it reinforces that what we previously did worked out better.
    Either way it helps to develop a better understanding of our unique needs. That's a win!
  • tinaisstillwell
    tinaisstillwell Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join this challenge? I'm going to follow this for the rest of the month. I've been keto for about 4 months-I've slipped a few times, and sometimes have too many carbs-under 40 most days, but still want to shoot for under 20. I've been trying to stay 75%/25%/5%, fat/protein/carbs, and haven't done bad, but I think this challenge will help. I've stalled in my weight loss, and am ready to try something slightly different.
  • kirkor
    Options
    I've had wine every weekend

c'mon now :-/

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    I've had wine every weekend

c'mon now :-/

I know... But iceberg lettuce is the real enemy here!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join this challenge? I'm going to follow this for the rest of the month. I've been keto for about 4 months-I've slipped a few times, and sometimes have too many carbs-under 40 most days, but still want to shoot for under 20. I've been trying to stay 75%/25%/5%, fat/protein/carbs, and haven't done bad, but I think this challenge will help. I've stalled in my weight loss, and am ready to try something slightly different.

If course not. Jump right in board. You can try for the rest of the month or as long as you want (maybe until the 23rd of next month). You will always have some company. There are a few of us that do this all the time.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I am recently restarting after letting it go for a while. Jump on in, or out, as it best works for you. :)
  • kirkor
    Options
    Ahhhh SUPER DUPER challenge faced and conquered this weekend!

My brother's birthday party --- LOTS of food and drinks. I won't list them due to potential trigger effects for people.
    I definitely thought about having some non-animal stuff, but there were a few new people that came over, and they had heard about me doing All Animal April (Animapril?? ;)) and in giving them the elevator pitch about it I figured I had better stay the course so they would see me "walking my talk". I ate an extra burger patty and kept my water bottle close at hand.
  • plami_9209
    plami_9209 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I`ve done this before, so I feel like you should be warned. I did the exact same thing a few years ago and I lost a lot for a short time, but every kg that I lost came back within a few weeks after I stopped. If you guys are set on doing this don`t dive into carbs immediately. Start them slowly in small aounts if you don`t want to lose the progress you made.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    plami_9209 wrote: »
    I`ve done this before, so I feel like you should be warned. I did the exact same thing a few years ago and I lost a lot for a short time, but every kg that I lost came back within a few weeks after I stopped. If you guys are set on doing this don`t dive into carbs immediately. Start them slowly in small aounts if you don`t want to lose the progress you made.

I don't think any of us are doing it to "boost" weight loss. And I think most of us were a max 20g carbs before starting, so even suddenly returning to that isn't an extreme change. But, I personally, will likely continue to limit vegetables really only eating them because I made something for the family that I really like. I've identified vegetable fiber as a source of digestive issues so if I choose to eat some because they're good, I realize I will pay for it by way of belly ache for a bit. So, I'm not going to dive back in for sure.
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    plami_9209 wrote: »

I did it for three weeks, and while I did lose a couple lbs, I've since resumed eating veggies (not sure I would call it diving back into carbs, my carbs are still pretty low - I'd guesstimate around 50-80 g per day) and I haven't gained anything back, heck I'm down another lb...

• plami_9209
    plami_9209 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    @tlflag1620 I wouldn`t consider veggies carbs, I`m talking about bread, pasta, cakes, sweets. That`s what I meant. Veggies are great.