All Animal April (Advanced Experimenters)

Options
123457»

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    plami_9209 wrote: »
    @tlflag1620 I wouldn`t consider veggies carbs, I`m talking about bread, pasta, cakes, sweets. That`s what I meant. Veggies are great.

Oh! Ha! I don't think anyone is planning to eat those...
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    plami_9209 wrote: »
    @tlflag1620 I wouldn`t consider veggies carbs, I`m talking about bread, pasta, cakes, sweets. That`s what I meant. Veggies are great.

First, veggies do contain carbs. Some more than others, but all veggies have some carbs. And you do realize you are posting on the low carb forum, right? I don't think any of us here plan on going back to a diet that includes loads of bread, pasta, cakes, and/or sweets. Speaking for myself, I've eaten low carb for three years, come July, and I would never want to go back.

I'm sorry your experience with low carb didn't work out - most low carb plans have you gradually add carbs until you find your personal tolerance level (the level where you eat as many as you can, but still maintain weight and keep cravings at bay and hunger under control). I think the majority of us on this forum look at eating LCHF as a lifelong way of eating, not merely a "diet". That's the difference between long term success and failure, IMO.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Mission accomplished. I've completed 4 full weeks of All Animal (I started at Easter instead of the beginning of the month). It went well, I really didn't have any issued. I did find that I was getting more protein than I "needed". I'm adding in a few vegetables now and backing back down on the protein. My weight initially went down a few pounds then bounced back up, so I know it's not a matter of carb sensitivity, at least not to that extent. Interested to hear everyone else's experiences.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Prior to Animapril, coconut oil was my oil of choice. I'd made & used ghee on occasion, but it wasn't in regular rotation. Now I've definitely developed more of a taste for it! I like adding it to my lunch proteins. I think possibly that coconut oil compliments veggies better and ghee compliments animal products better. I still have a lot of coconut oil in the pantry so I'll start using it again in May, but this has been a nice change of pace so far this month.
  • ConanSonja
    ConanSonja Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is really cool and I love that so many were on board. I love eating like this and am heading straight back into it after birth of bubs. Meat May here we come. Congrats all
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I sort of petered out on AAA. I was AA for a few weeks but I didn't notice any benefits beyond some water weight lost. If anything, my autoimmune issues were acting up a bit more than before. I like going all animal sometimes but I found that telling myself that I could not have veggies, which is not mecially actually true, made me want them more. I am fine with cutting out most carbs (and gluten) because it is a medical need, but I seem to want to rebel when there is a line drawn in the sand that doesn't appear to be there. Immature of me, but that seems to be the way. LOL :D

I'll continue to experiment with all animal, but loosely.

On the plus side, I am getting better about getting my protein from animal sources so protein powder isn't needed for a protein boost. I also finally tried butter in coffee and found out that it is just as good as cream.

I also found my bowels are a looser the lower carb I go. That one isn't really a benefit though. ;)
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo It sounds like you and I had similar experiences with AAA :). I didn't notice any discernible benefit, and eliminating plant products without a benefit only served to make me want them more, lol. I have no trouble avoiding grains, sugar, and very starchy foods because I notice a benefit in the way I feel when I don't eat them (and a distinct difference in the occassions when I do indulge). I do see value in doing an all animal period from time to time tho - I do think it improved my leptin and/or grehlin sensitivity, tho I'm not sure how long that effect will carryover, and I am eating more actual veggies (and less seeds and nuts) since adding back plants. I may incorporate short periods of carnivorous eating from time to time in the future. It was an interesting experiment and I'm glad I did it, even if I didn't make it through all the way :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    @nvmomketo It sounds like you and I had similar experiences with AAA :). I didn't notice any discernible benefit, and eliminating plant products without a benefit only served to make me want them more, lol. I have no trouble avoiding grains, sugar, and very starchy foods because I notice a benefit in the way I feel when I don't eat them (and a distinct difference in the occassions when I do indulge). I do see value in doing an all animal period from time to time tho - I do think it improved my leptin and/or grehlin sensitivity, tho I'm not sure how long that effect will carryover, and I am eating more actual veggies (and less seeds and nuts) since adding back plants. I may incorporate short periods of carnivorous eating from time to time in the future. It was an interesting experiment and I'm glad I did it, even if I didn't make it through all the way :)

Exactly true for me too. There were some benefits. They were not large for me but enough that I will keep this tool in my back pocket for future use.

Funny how saying something isn't allowed makes us want it more. :D That's why I have dropped out of many of these challenges. They are fun to try but having rigid rules seems to often not work with me.... I must have been a lot of work as achild and teen! :D
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

I often go all animal for a couple days if I've had a carb slip or excessive cravings. It definitely helps, but I could only do that on a short term basis.i enjoy my veg too much.