Meticulous May?

Options

Replies

• slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Hard to believe it's May 23rd already! Hanging out at 149 today. (moved that big weight on the scale!) Overall it was a good weekend. Really stuck to my protein and fats, so I feel like I'm back in the groove again. Carbs make me so hungry and I retain so much water, glad to be back at it.

@FitToLead - I read posts every morning. Record food during the day. I love being accountable and reflective of my progress. I also enjoy reading that others are going through much the same as I am. Sometimes I want to make a comment on a thread and read that someone else has already written the same thoughts. I could almost write "ditto" at least 5 times a day. I feel I can identify with so many lovely folks in this group. I probably spend about an hour a day reading or learning something new, even if it's just ideas for dinner.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    SW: 153.4
    Goal maintenance range: 129-132
    CW: 133
    Today was good in terms of food and exercise (50 min PT plus over 10k steps).
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    @FitToLead if I am not in my simple carbs are not food mode then my days I am more likely to fall off the wagon are ones that I don't read and share here. Helps my self patience level.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm on my vacation when I said I wouldn't be as meticulous for lack of ability to access MFP during most of the time. I've got another week left, but have done decently well so far. On the other hand, most of what I've done so far has been driving (where I can get Wi-Fi at truck stops, but have avoided mobile data because my roaming limit is super low) and I've been able to log fairly well. It's been a matter of remembering what I ate by the next chance I get a connection. And yesterday, I logged a banana from a truck stop without weighing it. This morning is one of the only times I'm at a hotel, so it will be continental breakfast (high carb offerings) and I won't eat much from that probably.
  • macchiatto
    edited May 2016
    Options
    FitToLead wrote: »
    slimzandra wrote: »
    - I read posts every morning. Record food during the day. I probably spend about an hour a day reading or learning something new, even if it's just ideas for dinner....
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    - I spend an hour or so in the morning and another in the evening on MFP. ...

There really is some learning for me in leaning in toward this community, rather than leaning away when I become disconnected from the clarity and vitality of eating well. To connect more strongly in those moments, hold on as if to a life raft, until I am swimming freely again.

So much wisdom for all of us--in eating/exercise and other issues of health, wellness, wholeness--in this. I also find myself tempted to not check in if I'm off the wagon but I'm working on forcing myself to go ahead and do so. And it gives me a chance to reflect on, and share, what I learned from the "off" day/stretch, what I can do differently in the future to help myself stay on course.
  • SarahKratos
    SarahKratos Posts: 58 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If you want to be on a keto diet you must limit your carbs to 20 g or less is what I read. It also takes approximately two weeks to get into ketosis. And if you go over carbs even one time can derail you and you have to start all over. This is not an easy way for most people to eat. You have to make a sincere commitment to live this way. Otherwise, there is The diet of LC HF where you probably will not be burning fat but you can drink alcohol and eat carbs a little bit more freely.

There are Way too many excuses for eating carbs. If there isn't anything but carbs around don't eat! It isn't going to kill you to wait until you find some protein and fat. You can buy beef sticks at any gas station or convenience store along with several varieties of nuts. No more excuses! However if you do eat then you ruined what you worked so hard to accomplish. This is your kick in the pants to stop.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    Been to SC (13 hr round trip driving) and back from 11am one day to 8pm the next to say good-bye to my Mom (who did not take care of herself) on her death-bed.

I did very badly eating for about 24hrs of that time. But her health troubles, and me sharing so many of her genes, was the impetus for me starting this WOE in June 2014 to begin with. So I am back on track this morning without issue. I don't really feel bad about it. I'm going through some terrible stuff. I saw my mother in a way no one should have to see their mommy. But life is terrible sometimes. I ain't got no time for giving up.

Keep Calm and LC On.

Hope everyone has a good, blessed day.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear this @baconslave, you and your family are in my thoughts
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    @baconslave, hugs!! Wish you courage, strength, and bacon. Good luck dealing with this emotional roller coaster however best you can. More hugs
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear of these struggles. Very sad to have to let go, regardless of circumstances. So awesome to hear how others hold on to their woe, or wol when, for so many, emotions trigger erratic eating.
    Currently clawing my way back to my own plan and fighting off what urges I can. Doing pretty well, downward movement on scale, still 4 days til my most challenging day weekwise. Was able to stay away from carbage during last night's emotional triggers, though I did up my calories some.
    I've adjusted my goal weight up about 10 pounds, thinking that maybe it's just too unrealistic where i had it, and I really would be okay at the new set goal weight and maybe less stressed as well. At that point maybe some of that strength training would help with how it all looks.
    This long term weight loss journey seems to be taking a toll on my well being at the moment. Settling back into my former groove is not as easy now, as other real life participation and activities regularly place me in physical and emotional trigger situations that still feel new enough to rattle me - and trigger me. Still in the game 100%, but feeling a little beat down. Spent the better part of 3 days in my pajamas, in bed or on the couch, in a daze. World seems to be falling apart and I am in denial or at least imobilized. I know it's only temporary, and I will come out of this funk eventually - as I always do: at least I've been keeping to my keto for a change.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    @baconslave I applaud your attitude at such a difficult time! I've been keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

@elize7 I hope you feel better soon! It's hard to get out of a funk but it seems like you have a pretty good handle on things! I'm not so good at the emotional stuff myself.

I'm still meticulous with my tracking but I've not lost anything this month. I'm not too stressed because I'm within about 5 lbs. of goal. I'm trying to focus more on working out and body composition. I did forget my RA meds the other night and it seems to have triggered a slight flare. I was forced to take an extra rest day yesterday and I haven't decided what's on the agenda today.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    Thought for tough times: if your best friend was physically or mentally struggling with life, what would you do? My guess is something kind or generous like offering to take some of their load, listen or treat to a day spa. If that someone is you, how do you treat you? Personally, I can be kind of mean to me.

My friend says she thinks of all the cells that make up her body as humanity. She likes to treat others well, so she visualises chatting with her cells and seeing what will help them be physically and emotionally healthy. Easier to look after that group of friends than care for herself, especially when she feels down. I thought that was a nice perspective that could help someone be kind to themselves, so sharing. Just stopped me eating nuts, so working here :)
  • macchiatto
    Options
    I'm so sorry, @baconslave.

As for me, it was not a very on-track day in a sense; TOM showed up early (I think triggered by me going back into ketosis after being more moderate-low-carb for a while) and I wanted to eat all the things, especially all the chocolate. So today I was low carb (just barely ;)) rather than keto, and ate just under maintenance calories.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Still on vacation, stopped after my hike at a small local restaurant. Logged similar items from chains. I said I wouldn't be meticulous on vacation.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Doing well. Had a couple beers last night, but logged them and the rest of my day was nice and low carb, so I still stayed undo 80g (my upper limit). Saw 142 lbs this morning :) but not my official weigh in day, so we'll see if it sticks around. Planning to get back to the gym Friday (lord I am way too inconsistant). I'm within my goal range now, so I'm debating whether to just continue on and see how much more I can lose without trying, or to turn my focus on muscle building... But, see "gym inconsistency" lol... I doubt I'll be able to go often enough or regularly enough to do much good until my mom comes to visit in August. So I think I'll just focus on going as much as I can and keeping my eating on track and just see where that takes me...

Sorry to hear about all those who are struggling. I've always believed in progress, not perfection. Do the best you can and take care of yourselves!

@midwesterner85 - hope you are enjoying your vacation!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    @tlflag1620. Awww. Thanks for the thought, some days it's just nice to hear.
    "I've always believed in progress, not perfection. Do the best you can and take care of yourselves!"

I'm back at it today. Got my cheeseburger (no bun) for lunch, dinner planned out. Today will be a good day!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    flash0826 wrote: »
    If you want to be on a keto diet you must limit your carbs to 20 g or less is what I read. It also takes approximately two weeks to get into ketosis. And if you go over carbs even one time can derail you and you have to start all over. This is not an easy way for most people to eat. You have to make a sincere commitment to live this way. Otherwise, there is The diet of LC HF where you probably will not be burning fat but you can drink alcohol and eat carbs a little bit more freely.

There are Way too many excuses for eating carbs. If there isn't anything but carbs around don't eat! It isn't going to kill you to wait until you find some protein and fat. You can buy beef sticks at any gas station or convenience store along with several varieties of nuts. No more excuses! However if you do eat then you ruined what you worked so hard to accomplish. This is your kick in the pants to stop.

@flash0826 I eat 20-50 grams of carbs a day and maintain keto levels. I generally drop back into ketosis within 2-4 days, depending on how off plan I was, though completely re-adapting again can take longer and has for me at least twice - once when I started last year, and once when I rebooted this year... But it really depends on each individual how applicable those restrictions are. I actually have found (as other very active athletes have found and shared) that if I eat a slightly higher carb meal, if I exercise immediately (within 30 minutes or so) and fairly intensely, I don't knock myself out - or if any carb indulgences are separated by many off plan days (so few and far between) and/or the longer I'm ON plan, the less impact any minor carbage days affect me long term.

For the record, I am insulin resistant and not overly active, though I'll get back to my workouts once my current "rash" condition has resolved. I say this because my metabolism is even less flexible than most... I'm not sure to which message yours was a response, but I just wanted to share my 17 or so months of experience.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Been to SC (13 hr round trip driving) and back from 11am one day to 8pm the next to say good-bye to my Mom (who did not take care of herself) on her death-bed.

I did very badly eating for about 24hrs of that time. But her health troubles, and me sharing so many of her genes, was the impetus for me starting this WOE in June 2014 to begin with. So I am back on track this morning without issue. I don't really feel bad about it. I'm going through some terrible stuff. I saw my mother in a way no one should have to see their mommy. But life is terrible sometimes. I ain't got no time for giving up.

Keep Calm and LC On.

Hope everyone has a good, blessed day.

@baconslave Sending all the best thoughts, in whatever form you need them. I'm sorry that your resolve has to be bolstered by such sad times and happenings. (HUGS)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @elize7, @anglyn1, @slimzandra, & everyone else struggling (HUGS)

@midwesterner85 Sounds like a winner of a vacation to me!

@everybody Congrats on what you've learned, accomplished, or held to during this month! It's incredible, all around!